PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

16 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Dude. Come on.  You're just making excuses for the companies wanting to nudge the new normal upwards.  Fight it!

I’m fine with it . Per pound things like horizon , god of war , gt sport , tlou2 , death stranding, ffvii etc are a bargain even at £65, it’s like £2 an hour if that . There’s not many forms of entertainment that can boast that . Stuff I’m not that fussed about I’ll wait for sales . 

21 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I know we say this every time a new generation comes along but wouldn’t it be great if there was a range of price points. Some recent examples that are just my opinion and you might disagree. 

Modern Warfare - I got this with my PS4 Pro, but I don’t play online so just played through the campaign once on Normal. To me it’s a 20-30 quid game. If anyone wants the multiplayer then sell that separately for 30 quid or FTP a la Warzone. 

RDR2 - I enjoyed it, despite all its faults which I acknowledge. But the pure scale of it means if any game is a 65 quid-er, this is it (assuming it’s your bag). 

LOU Part 2 - I haven’t played it yet as my PS4 is in a container somewhere while we move, but this will probably easily be a £50 game for me. A linear-ish high quality single player game that I’ll play once or twice probably. 

In reality, I’m sure what I’ll do is buy a couple of launch games for a high price and then either buy the cheapest physical editions or wait for the sales from then on. Same as every Gen. 

There have been a lot of attempts over the years- but it basically boils down to "cheap RRP == shit" and they sell quite badly. Margins are awful too- a £20 rando punt on Bishi Bashi Special back in the day is now worth as much in real terms as buying Destiny 2 with a slight discount. If you tried to sell a game for less than £30 at launch you'd not break even.

There’s a tonne of games launching at lower spots on the price spectrum, in indie games and from smaller scale publishers. But if you’re talking about anything in the AAA space, it all costs tens of millions of pounds to make and it’s all going to be priced in an effort to recoup that before the next quarterly earnings meeting.

Control was Remedy’s “quick and cheap to make” game and it cost $30m.

Maybe you feel you got more value out of RDR2 than Modern Warfare but that doesn’t really change how much each cost to develop.

It’s easy to say “well, if it was half the price they’d sell twice as much” but given that on average people buy maybe half a dozen games in the entire lifespan of a console, you probably won’t find significantly more customers, you’ll just make less money. The market’s not heavily constrained by how much games cost at retail, I think.

13 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

"...given that on average people buy maybe half a dozen games in the entire lifespan of a console..."

Is that so? Not doubting it, just astonished.

Edit: No, I am doubting it. Surely not?

1 minute ago, GamesGamesGames said:

If your average attach rate is 6 games over the console’s lifespan you’re doing quite well. This isn’t a great benchmark anymore, so people tend to use the revenue generated from games divided by the number of consoles sold. The Switch works out to something insane like £400 of software per console sold. At £50-55 per major title.

3 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

That's absolutely barking, unless I'm thinking of the wrong kind of average, which I'm sure I am otherwise there'd be hordes all playing only one game.

Maybe it's Days Gone.

Have you heard of a game called Fortnite?

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Have you heard of a game called Fortnite?

Yep. My son is a prime example. Played Fortnite practically since he got his console and little else. Perhaps a few Lego titles so around four games. I think even a couple of those Lego titles were pre-owned. Think games as a service will eventually become fairly normal at some point especially for the upcoming gaming generation where most things are subscribed to these days. Essentially Fortnite gets all his spare money at the moment with season passes etc. It follows the game as a service model.

If you’re worried about the cost of your hobby the PS5 isn’t for you.

Console, more controllers, cameras, charging stands, £65-70 games that are barely next gen yet.

Just buy a series X and gamespass, reuse all the cheap Xbox controllers scattered round the place for guests, and then limit your next gen games purchases to one while you play the first party stuff etc. on gamespass.

or just don’t worry about it.

7 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

I’m fine with it . Per pound things like horizon , god of war , gt sport , tlou2 , death stranding, ffvii etc are a bargain even at £65, it’s like £2 an hour if that . There’s not many forms of entertainment that can boast that . Stuff I’m not that fussed about I’ll wait for sales . 

Depends what you’re comparing it with, compared with Game Pass in which you get every new MS exclusive included it’s not that great a bargain. 

6 hours ago, Alex W. said:

There’s a tonne of games launching at lower spots on the price spectrum, in indie games and from smaller scale publishers. But if you’re talking about anything in the AAA space, it all costs tens of millions of pounds to make and it’s all going to be priced in an effort to recoup that before the next quarterly earnings meeting.

Control was Remedy’s “quick and cheap to make” game and it cost $30m.

Maybe you feel you got more value out of RDR2 than Modern Warfare but that doesn’t really change how much each cost to develop.

It’s easy to say “well, if it was half the price they’d sell twice as much” but given that on average people buy maybe half a dozen games in the entire lifespan of a console, you probably won’t find significantly more customers, you’ll just make less money. The market’s not heavily constrained by how much games cost at retail, I think.

I totally get your point, and it's very subjective.  I only played MW once but no doubt many have got hundreds of hours out of the multiplayer and it's therefore worth £65 to them.  RDR 2 is an outlier in my opinion as if anything it's worth much more than that and could have sold just as well at the same price and been half the size.

I bought Control for £30 and loved every minute of it.  At full price I just wasn't sure if I would like it or not.

And isn't Star Wars Squadrons coming out at £30?  Maybe that's a good move for what looks like a slight game in terms of content but a mega licence and will hopefully be great in VR.

28 minutes ago, footle said:

If you’re worried about the cost of your hobby the PS5 isn’t for you.

Console, more controllers, cameras, charging stands, £65-70 games that are barely next gen yet.

Just buy a series X and gamespass, reuse all the cheap Xbox controllers scattered round the place for guests, and then limit your next gen games purchases to one while you play the first party stuff etc. on gamespass.

Deluded :lol:

3 minutes ago, sid said:

Pretty sure I spent £65 on turok 

I believe I spent £600 to get a sodding imported Xbox and Halo :p .

Got my money's-worth though, that's for sure :) 

I definitely spent £65 on street fighter 2 turbo for the SNES. Never regretted that for a moment. And £50 for starwing on launch. 

the argument back then it was the pcb manufacture that drove the costs up. We’ve been in a period where the reduction in production costs from carts to discs and increase in volume has offset increased development costs. 

unfortunately we’re on the other side now and there’s no margin left to squeeze. You can either increase revenue from add ins such as loot boxes or increase the cost of entry. I know which i would prefer. 

I just don’t think - and will probably never think - that £65 is an acceptable standard price for a videogame. It’s too much. It prices so many people out of what is a glorious hobby.

We just don’t need “real” games to be these Avatar-esque jackpot-or-bankruptcy monstrosities. There are so many games that would be far better if there was about one sixth as much stuff on them, and so many leaner, smaller games that deserve to be pushed in to the spotlight by platform holders and publishers. If Parasite can be a more important movie than Godzilla King of the Monsters why can’t Telling Lies be a tentpole game release?

23 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I just don’t think - and will probably never think - that £65 is an acceptable standard price for a videogame. It’s too much. It prices so many people out of what is a glorious hobby.

It's only marginally higher in real terms than I paid for Metal Gear Solid 21 years ago. When I was literally a child and had to buy my own games with money I made after school.

9 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Edit: No, I am doubting it. Surely not?

Well, you think about how many consoles are released in the tail end of the lifespan for cheap, and how many people just get a console for that one game their friend has. And it’s a wild guess, I should look it up. But that’s the usual order of magnitude.

GamePass will have me covered on Xbox and I’ll pick a PS5 up once the unmissable exclusives start coming, so hopefully by then game prices will have fallen back in line.

Isn’t it the same at the start of every new gen?

15 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

We just don’t need “real” games to be these Avatar-esque jackpot-or-bankruptcy monstrosities. There are so many games that would be far better if there was about one sixth as much stuff on them, and so many leaner, smaller games that deserve to be pushed in to the spotlight by platform holders and publishers. If Parasite can be a more important movie than Godzilla King of the Monsters why can’t Telling Lies be a tentpole game release?

only now do I understand why microsoft put so much emphasis on the indie title releases for their consoles.

1 hour ago, sid said:

Pretty sure I spent £65 on turok 

I never spent £70 on Virtua Racing on the MegaDrive. It cost me a tenner, some time later.

Can someone help me understand. I thought with Microsoft's smart delivery thing you get the best version of the game depending where you play it. So an xbox one game played on a series x console would be the series x version. So I'm confused why there would be a difference in price. Why wouldn't I buy the xbone version?

1 minute ago, p1nseeker said:

Can someone help me understand. I thought with Microsoft's smart delivery thing you get the best version of the game depending where you play it. So an xbox one game played on a series x console would be the series x version. So I'm confused why there would be a difference in price. Why wouldn't I buy the xbone version?

Smart Delivery is optional, NBA 2K21 won't use it.

12 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

You're in the PS5 thread.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic