Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive


Eighthours
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

Remember watching the above vid a bit back.. some of the memory components are not as well cooled as others so run a bit on the hot side. I expect still within operating temperature though. Be interesting to see when Sony do a re-design (slim with detachable disk supposed to be coming next year) if they address this and keep the liquid metal cooling solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Watched his vids a few times.. seems to know what he's doing. Apparently people are repairing consoles using a BGA machine and then not putting the foam pad back around the APU properly (or at all). Soon as the console is moved around the conductive liquid metal runs everywhere and shorts things out. 

 

Makes me wonder how much better liquid metal is over regular thermal paste TBH. Guessing its much more conductive at transferring heat to the heat sink however seems to be causing repairers all sorts of issues... Never had any overheating issues on my PCs I've had over the years with regular thermal paste. Suppose it does harden off a bit over the years but can't say I've had issues. My PC build is currently 5 years old and I've not touched it since I built it and its as quiet as when I did.

 

 

He has done some that had never been opened with leaking Liquid Metal - there was a vid a while back that he very nearly didnt check as it had never been opened and then found the issue was down to the leak :o His solution seems much better than Sonys but presumably costs more and is a bit more manual, madness they went for it really and no doubt it will be phased out when they sort out a better cooling solution (presumably on a proper redesign not the iterations we are getting now)  thats less reliant on brute force and needs as much headroom as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

 

He has done some that had never been opened with leaking Liquid Metal - there was a vid a while back that he very nearly didnt check as it had never been opened and then found the issue was down to the leak :o His solution seems much better than Sonys but presumably costs more and is a bit more manual, madness they went for it really and no doubt it will be phased out when they sort out a better cooling solution (presumably on a proper redesign not the iterations we are getting now)  thats less reliant on brute force and needs as much headroom as possible.

Fair enough! Didn't realise it was on unopened consoles too. :( Guessing it's not a hugely common problem though as we'd have lots more stories about it all over the 'net.

 

In a way glad I sold on my launch PS5 when I did not that I was concerned about all this but if/ when I grab another I'll go for a slim version when it appears. Even if it's just to get a smaller system! :)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every time I see a video of these fucking amateurs doing fixes, diagnosis, repairs, hardware design analysis I wonder how many people actually watch it and believe every word.
 

I mean that cod3r video of him diagnosing and narrowing down a fault to a single cap in 5 minutes is a joke.  
 

He knew exactly what the fault was in advance . All the probing (half the time  , with a. Single probe on to soldermask covered copper, lol )  on an unpowered board to diagnose a fault is just bullshit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On this subject, I still have my "replaced" OG PS5 disc version gathering dust. It was regurarly crashing, refusing to boot. My Digital one is fine. I'm tempted to open it up proper now and see what's what, seeing as it's past the year's warranty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PaB said:

Every time I see a video of these fucking amateurs doing fixes, diagnosis, repairs, hardware design analysis I wonder how many people actually watch it and believe every word.
 

I mean that cod3r video of him diagnosing and narrowing down a fault to a single cap in 5 minutes is a joke.  
 

He knew exactly what the fault was in advance . All the probing (half the time  , with a. Single probe on to soldermask covered copper, lol )  on an unpowered board to diagnose a fault is just bullshit.

That coder guy repairs a lot of consoles so guessing he sees a pattern emerge over time? It's a business he runs after all!

 

The other video of the chip temperature thing is from a well respected PC channel on YouTube. Watching the vid and the process he uses seems sensible.

 

Who knows right but you can't argue with facts and evidence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

That coder guy repairs a lot of consoles so guessing he sees a pattern emerge over time? It's a business he runs after all!

 

 

 

i don’t doubt that he repairs them. Hence why I said he knew what the fault was in advance. It’s the fluff before hand where he pretends to diagnose it live.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m interested to see what the new slim version is like, but I don’t fancy have the disc drive separate to be honest, which are the rumours we are hearing. If it runs cooler and uses less power though I’ll have to consider it. 

Hope it's smaller, cooler and less power hungry... I think having a detachable drive is handy as at least if you decide you need a drive at some point in future you can grab one. Also simplifies Sony's production line I guess to maybe allow them to get more into circulation! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As it’s Black Friday soon I’m going to upgrade the memory on my PS5. Is this a good deal/suitable performance?

 

https://www.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850x-nvme-ssd?ef_id=CjwKCAiApvebBhAvEiwAe7mHSEFn-a0JDTk30UQTFkh8EqMyjzz28Uru3BDvCQ4JPbGTSyJbbSPCeRoC--UQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!15012!3!!!!x!!!18143230712!&utm_medium=pdsh2&utm_source=gads&utm_campaign=PMax-WDBLK-PHASE2-EU-UK-PLA&utm_content=&utm_term=WDS100T2XHE#WDS100T2XHE

 

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure what I’m looking for other than something that runs at least the same speed as the PS5’s existing HDD and won’t melt my console. And ideally the cheapest one that fills that criteria.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Strafe said:

As it’s Black Friday soon I’m going to upgrade the memory on my PS5. Is this a good deal/suitable performance?

 

https://www.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850x-nvme-ssd?ef_id=CjwKCAiApvebBhAvEiwAe7mHSEFn-a0JDTk30UQTFkh8EqMyjzz28Uru3BDvCQ4JPbGTSyJbbSPCeRoC--UQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!15012!3!!!!x!!!18143230712!&utm_medium=pdsh2&utm_source=gads&utm_campaign=PMax-WDBLK-PHASE2-EU-UK-PLA&utm_content=&utm_term=WDS100T2XHE#WDS100T2XHE

 

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure what I’m looking for other than something that runs at least the same speed as the PS5’s existing HDD and won’t melt my console. And ideally the cheapest one that fills that criteria.

 

 

 

Over the weekend I bought exactly this directly from them as per the link but it was 2TB and a tenner cheaper. They're shipping from the States so it takes a few days, ordered Saturday night, arrived this morning. There are slightly cheaper options but from what I read this memory is highly rated and comes with it's own heatsink.

 

This guy is cheaper but requires a heatsink.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

 

Over the weekend I bought exactly this directly from them as per the link but it was 2TB and a tenner cheaper. They're shipping from the States so it takes a few days, ordered Saturday night, arrived this morning. There are slightly cheaper options but from what I read this memory is highly rated and comes with it's own heatsink.

 

This guy is cheaper but requires a heatsink.


The 2tb was £90?!

 

Also, any import tax issues?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got stick drift on a controller that was purchased in June less than 6 months!

 

I'm going to use the spare controller until after xmas before returning to Sony. It will take me that long to read the stupid tiny font serial number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, gospvg said:

It will take me that long to read the stupid tiny font serial number.

Phone camera and zoom... one of the joys of aging eyes seem to be doing that all the time these days.. because the fonts keep getting smaller... or my eyes are getting worse or a combination of both.... :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.