Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive


Eighthours
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 25/06/2022 at 00:32, SeanR said:

My upgrade to whatever the top tear of ps+ is called has necessitated the purchase of a 2tb crucial P5 plus (sub-£200), and a sabrent cooler (£18)

 

let’s hope I don’t fuck it up.


i fucked up…

 

in that 3 weeks later the crucial P5 2tb ssd is now £171* :quote:
 

 

*amazon prime day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Silly question here that I haven't found the answer to - I believe the PS1 games added to Premium are also available to those without Premium who bought them on PS3 in some cases. How do those of us without Premium access them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Phantoon said:

Silly question here that I haven't found the answer to - I believe the PS1 games added to Premium are also available to those without Premium who bought them on PS3 in some cases. How do those of us without Premium access them?


You need to go on the PS Store and “buy” them for free. Abe’s Odyssey was the only one I could see that I could get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Super Craig said:


You need to go on the PS Store and “buy” them for free. Abe’s Odyssey was the only one I could see that I could get.

Thanks! I suspect not much of what I have will qualify then...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone wanted to increase their storage, the Western Digital SN850 1TB nvme is on sale at Amazon at the moment for £109.99. It's the exact same drive being re-packaged by WD as an official Sony accessory but for a lot more money. No idea if it is for everyone, but Amazon also gave me the 5 monthly payment option.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PHSVW7K/?coliid=I1UQOT2P1RVM9X&colid=1OD9XYBXVTA4M&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SMD said:

What's the largest reasonably priced SSD you can get for PS5 right now?


I got the 2tb crucial p5 for less than £200. I feel that 1TB is a false economy, as when that’s full…

 

4tb is like £600 still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SeanR said:


I got the 2tb crucial p5 for less than £200. I feel that 1TB is a false economy, as when that’s full…

 

4tb is like £600 still.

 

Haha thank you for answering with the exact spirit I was looking for, 600 quid jfc.

 

Is that this one then? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Plus-CT2000P5PSSD8-PCIe-6600MB/dp/B098WKQRDL/

 

does it come with a heatsink and is one necessary? heat is an issue in my flat...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There should be four extra uses for my code if anyone wants to get the Beta firmware: CT7G-D3NQ-8KNK

 

Once you've redeemed the code you'll need to manually start the Beta update. Personally I've never had an issue with PlayStation Beta firmware being unstable but it's always a possibility, so make sure to backup anything you might want to beforehand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I would prefer for those activities to just fuck off into the bin, not for them to get even more prominent.

 

I don't understand why. Have they been a hindrance to you? I don't see how they could be.

 

On a different note - I was thinking about the PS5s storage. SSDs are still only good for a limited number of read/write operations, right? So is the PS5s internal storage doomed to eventually fail, and in 20 years time a working PS5 will be a rare thing indeed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

 

On a different note - I was thinking about the PS5s storage. SSDs are still only good for a limited number of read/write operations, right? So is the PS5s internal storage doomed to eventually fail, and in 20 years time a working PS5 will be a rare thing indeed?

 

No worse than spinning disks (better probably). As long as you can get new SSDs and the blu-rays still work... enjoy that version 1.0 gaming!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably a question that no one can really answer, but do we think Sony will announce a revision of the hardware any time soon? Thinking more along the lines of a slim than a pro version.

 

Should I just buy one now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Quest said:

Probably a question that no one can really answer, but do we think Sony will announce a revision of the hardware any time soon? Thinking more along the lines of a slim than a pro version.

No, they can't make enough as it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Quest said:

Probably a question that no one can really answer, but do we think Sony will announce a revision of the hardware any time soon? Thinking more along the lines of a slim than a pro version.

 

Should I just buy one now?

 

Given the chip shortage, and the difficulty everyone has in getting capacity, it feels unlikely this year. Most of the conversation is whether they'll need to put the price up, rather than whether they'll manage something cheaper or smaller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, footle said:

 

Given the chip shortage, and the difficulty everyone has in getting capacity, it feels unlikely this year. Most of the conversation is whether they'll need to put the price up, rather than whether they'll manage something cheaper or smaller.

 

Will this be the first generation when we see this happen I wonder? What with Oculus upping their prices, and Sony seemingly thinking about it. Has this ever happened before? Two years into the thing and it still feels like it's all 'just' happened!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

The Slim is the digital edition. ;) 

 

This is a good point actually. I'm naturally inclined to pick up the disc version but I've had a Series X for over a year and the only disc I've ever put in the drive is the 360 version of Nier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Quest said:

Probably a question that no one can really answer, but do we think Sony will announce a revision of the hardware any time soon? Thinking more along the lines of a slim than a pro version.

 

Should I just buy one now?

 

I dunno if Sony can get a smaller revision out in the near future, there's supposedly a chip size reduction on the horizon but nothing major and the cost will increase anyway for them.

Manufacturing is just fucked right now, if Sony could make a smaller and cheaper PS5 they would.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

 

Will this be the first generation when we see this happen I wonder? What with Oculus upping their prices, and Sony seemingly thinking about it. Has this ever happened before? Two years into the thing and it still feels like it's all 'just' happened!

 

There was apparently a price increase for the PS4? in Canada. there's an effective price increase for the PS5  already if they're mostly bundling Horizon Forgotten West.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.