PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

10 hours ago, Darwock said:

You can, I transferred a save from PS5 to PS4 by USB. Although weirdly it’s done by game and not individual save file. I wanted one specific save for Valkyria Chronicles but I had to copy them all and then delete the ones I didn’t need.

You can copy PS4 saves to USB but not PS5. 

My son’s PS5 crashed a while back, he had to factory reset basically so it was lucky he had the Cloud saves, unless you’re very organised it’s likely USB saves would be a bit out of date in a situation like that.

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Cloud saves should be free like they are on Xbox.

You don’t even need gold? Yep they should be, especially if you’re not offering another option.

4 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

You don’t even need gold? Yep they should be, especially if you’re not offering another option.

You just need a live account so no sub needed, as you say how it should be but well /sony

1 hour ago, layten said:

Oh wow the controller battery life is awful.

They should let you use a pair of AA's

Reveal hidden contents

fite me

You’ll find when it says low battery you still have quite a while left but I think the haptics and adaptive triggers take there toll. 

I’m kind of stuffed on the save back-up front then, and I didn’t even know. I have PS Plus on my UK account (to get English language games), but I actually play everything and have all my friends on my Japanese account. The Japanese account can’t use the cloud saves.

So to back-up my PS5 saves I have to switch to a Japanese PSN subscription or pay for both? Balls to that.

12 hours ago, layten said:

Oh wow the controller battery life is awful.

They should let you use a pair of AA's

Reveal hidden contents

fite me

Yeah, it’s pretty shocking. Feels like I’ve only just disconnected the charge cable when two hours later I need to connect it again. Probably not quite two hours, but it certainly feels that bad. 

32 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Yeah, it’s pretty shocking. Feels like I’ve only just disconnected the charge cable when two hours later I need to connect it again. Probably not quite two hours, but it certainly feels that bad. 

I haven’t measured it but I’d estimate 5 to 6 hours, there must still be at least an hour after the low battery warning. I have a charge dock so always have another ready to go, I used to think those docks looked like a waste of money but I got one for Christmas and they’re so convenient 😀.

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

Glad it's not just me then. I was worried my controller was borked. 

11 hours ago, Darwock said:

I’m kind of stuffed on the save back-up front then, and I didn’t even know. I have PS Plus on my UK account (to get English language games), but I actually play everything and have all my friends on my Japanese account. The Japanese account can’t use the cloud saves.

So to back-up my PS5 saves I have to switch to a Japanese PSN subscription or pay for both? Balls to that.

Was worried when I read this as I just let my PS+ lapse but you can backup saves to a USB, doing it now got my main account, going to do it for the boys accounts next. You can just select Game Saves as the backup

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/back-up-ps5-data-USB/

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

I haven’t measured it but I’d estimate 5 to 6 hours, there must still be at least an hour after the low battery warning. I have a charge dock so always have another ready to go, I used to think those docks looked like a waste of money but I got one for Christmas and they’re so convenient 😀.

Same on PS4, its an essential purchase to have 2 pads and a dock due to poor battery life.

I would say PS5 pads are in the sub 4 hours minimum to 5 and a bit max - I actually use mine very little as use the wheel mostly but have to have the pad on for headphone sound and moving about menus etc - actually running the sound or pad seems to have little effect on how long the battery lasts, its odd and almost like its drawing maximum power all the time regardless of demand.

This battery chat is interesting to me - I alternate between using a DS4 for Lumines and a Dualsense for Elden Ring. Both have back ups at full charge that I swap over to when the warning comes. The DS4 regularly tells me it’s going to run out of charge, but the Dualsense never has. I’ve genuinely never used the back up controller. It’s not for lack of use either as my TV tells me it’s going to go into idle shut-down when I’m playing Elden Ring, which I think is set to 5 hours? I definitely never play Lumines for that long in one session. (Of course, the DS4 doesn’t get charged until it’s time to swap over unlike the Dualsense which goes onto the charging dock after a session).

So for me the Dualsense is doing better than the DS4.

On 09/07/2022 at 12:05, scoobysi said:

You can copy PS4 saves to USB but not PS5. 

Its crazy that the Stprage-Saves interface lets you copy PS4 but not PS5.

The method I used seems to pick up all saves across all accounts on the system but is more of a pain in the arse to go through

32 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Was worried when I read this as I just let my PS+ lapse but you can backup saves to a USB, doing it now got my main account, going to do it for the boys accounts next. You can just select Game Saves as the backup

That's not really the same as just copying select save files to USB for safe keeping though as that method will revert all save files to the state they were when you backed up wiping out any progress you made in the meantime.

8 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

That's not really the same as just copying select save files to USB for safe keeping though as that method will revert all save files to the state they were when you backed up wiping out any progress you made in the meantime.

Completely get that and said so in my later post. Its really stupid you can't restore them individually. I also figure I'll only need to do it of the console fails dramatically, so it'll do for me now. They need to change that though

everyone: hey sony, can you make it easier to use external usbs on your next console, it's a bit of an arse on ps4 and xbox one does it better

sony: okay no more usb saves

12 minutes ago, SMD said:

everyone: hey sony, can you make it easier to use external usbs on your next console, it's a bit of an arse on ps4 and xbox one does it better

sony: okay no more usb saves

The solution has to be free cloud backup as per Xbox, its nuts when you fire up a game not played in a decade and you’re in the same spot when you left it - more importantly it takes out the worry of backing up and relying on keeping and working usb sticks / HDD’s etc decades down the line.

2 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Ah cool, that’s something at least, especially if I can’t pickup a cheap PS Plus Essentials code in the future.

38 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Ah cool, that’s something at least, especially if I can’t pickup a cheap PS Plus Essentials code in the future.

As said above this is basically a system restore so you'll lose any progress you make after the backup.

4 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Glad it's not just me then. I was worried my controller was borked. 

I think it might be. I usually get around 6 hours out of a charge. Don't have to charge mid-session in any case. But maybe you are all playing games that use excessive feedback/mic?

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I think it might be. I usually get around 6 hours out of a charge. Don't have to charge mid-session in any case. But maybe you are all playing games that use excessive feedback/mic?

I get 5 or 6 hours, but that still seems low to me, maybe my expectations are too high

8 hours ago, Hitcher said:

As said above this is basically a system restore so you'll lose any progress you make after the backup.

That doesn’t bother me, as that’s just the nature of backups.

But… would this include erasing save files of newer games you didn’t have on the system at the time you made the back-up? Or would it leave those alone?

14 hours ago, Vorgot said:

I get 5 or 6 hours, but that still seems low to me, maybe my expectations are too high

Nah, you’re right. Sony are shit at batteries. 

I just played Elden Ring on Xbox. 150 hours over a few weeks using the Elite 2 controller and it just seemed to stay charged for days on end. Same with the Lucidsound headphones. 

Playing Ghost of Tsushima now with the pad and Gold headphones and I’m alternating one of them to go on charge every single night. 

It’s first world problems obviously, as it’s not an issue to charge while I sleep but they are doing something very wrong with their battery tech. Hopefully their new pro controller brings with it some advances. 

7 hours ago, Darwock said:

But… would this include erasing save files of newer games you didn’t have on the system at the time you made the back-up? Or would it leave those alone?

It's a restore so whatever was there before will be wiped.

It's an entirely shitty move by Sony.