PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

2 hours ago, Ferine said:

Is the drive's heatsink built-in, or did you attach one? The latter's easy enough to do but I know some people have made the mistake of not checking for plastic wrapping that's supposed to be peeled off, meaning the heatsink isn't actually conducting any heat.

If the heatsink came pre-attached I'd guess you just got unlucky with a faulty drive.

Heatsink already attached 

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/seagate-firecuda-530-m.2-nvme-internal-ssd-with-heatsink-1-tb-10231079.html

I hope this is a one off failure as I'm intending to get a replacement. These are too expensive a component to go wrong.

No idea how hot these things get with the heatsink, but it was raging when I took it out. 

No, it can just get hot enough to run slower. I don't know about this specific use case, but overheating components won't necessarily get damaged (as even without a heat shield it shouldn't get hot enough to cause physical damage) but it may thermal throttle which might mean it running lower speeds that if it was sufficiently cooled. 

3 hours ago, spanx said:

PS5 Slim can be yours… with a little bit of effort

I appreciate the guy’s effort, but transferring all the console’s bulk out into a metre long combined PSU and cooling supply doesn’t solve much. 😂

Interesting video though. 

10 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

The joy of experiencing Astro’s haptics for the first time in your life. 

21F955D0-F3A7-4A70-975B-D22BCF2A492C.thumb.jpeg.0d65a78375dbffedd330e379eb539b0c.jpeg

Indeed similar things happening here today with my eldest son. Smiles all round. For those that say its a gimmick... Well games without it certainly feel flat! :) AstroBot is still an amazing demo. Watching my son playing it today I wanted to go through the whole experience again!

Got a quick question about the PS5. I have an HDD attached with a ton of PS4 games on, its always been hidden away, never had any issues but I moved it this week to check the model and noticed that when the PS5 is in rest mode, the access light kept blinking on the drive. When I picked it up, the drive was constantly spinning. Switched the PS5 back on, no updates were downloading, but the drive spins in rest mode.

Is this normal? I presume its because I have power going to the USB ports for 3 hours to charge controllers, and power is going to the drive, but why would it be constantly accessed? Just worried it will shorten the life of the drive. Just wanted to check that this is what should normally happen

17 hours ago, MattyP said:

Indeed similar things happening here today with my eldest son. Smiles all round. For those that say its a gimmick... Well games without it certainly feel flat! :) AstroBot is still an amazing demo. Watching my son playing it today I wanted to go through the whole experience again!

It's amazing. He's only 6 but has really got quite good at console gaming now after a lot of Lego game variants but he's just starting to explore further. He saw Astro in my PS catalogue and asked to play it and has had unbridled joy with it.

He's just finished the 4 main worlds and is now trying to go back to find the collectables, all pretty much on his own with just very light touch help from me on occasion. It was a really nice way to spend a couple of hours of Father's Day!

Just now, FiveFootNinja said:

It's amazing. He's only 6 but has really got quite good at console gaming now after a lot of Lego game variants but he's just starting to explore further. He saw Astro in my PS catalogue and asked to play it and has had unbridled joy with it.

He's just finished the 4 main worlds and is now trying to go back to find the collectables, all pretty much on his own with just very light touch help from me on occasion. It was a really nice way to spend a couple of hours of Father's Day!

Happens with older people too. I had a friend round recently, she wants a PS5 and I got her to try Astro. Grins from ear to ear and she didn't want to put it down. Its a great reminder of how joyous games can be

3 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Wonderful piece of game design right there. A great demo that appeals and works with all ages! :)

Just hope they extend this concept - I'd love to see a fully fleshed out Astrobot game as this was superb. And a free demo at that! :) Blows my mind what they could do with this on a platformer. Shame Nintendo wouldn't ever develop a Mario game for the PS5 that combination could be something quite special IMHO....

58 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Wonderful piece of game design right there. A great demo that appeals and works with all ages! :)

Just hope they extend this concept - I'd love to see a fully fleshed out Astrobot game as this was superb. And a free demo at that! :) Blows my mind what they could do with this on a platformer. Shame Nintendo wouldn't ever develop a Mario game for the PS5 that combination could be something quite special IMHO....

You have played the actual Astrobot game right, pretty sure you’re a VR type!? Its much better as a game than the pad demo on the PS5, not that it isnt great fun in its own right!

Just wanted to make a post for anyone who wasn't already aware of the deals that are available on the Turkish store. This is particularly great for dumbasses like me who got the Digital PS5.

It takes a little bit of setting up and includes signing up for a virtual debit card on Crypto.com (no cryptocurrency is involved, by the way), but what you come out with is a method of buying games that doesn't need a VPN, takes no effort beyond checking the exchange rate and topping up your virtual card when required (via an app), and switching between two different PSN ID's whilst on your Playstation, but only to order and install games. Once games are installed they can be played as normal from your UK account and your experience won't differ at all.

When you do top up your card it needs to be with at least £20, which is the one real negative here, but the savings can be pretty crazy.

The full explanation is here:

(Ignore the first part and follow it from the first mention of "Crypto.com".)

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/new-method-no-vpn-required-buy-from-any-playstation-psn-region-inc-indonesia-turkey-at-face-value-with-disposable-revolut-virtual-visa-3458645

So following this method, these are some of the prices available in the current sales:

Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen £0.86

Deus Ex: Making Divided £0.95 

Evil Within 2 £2.18

Xcom 2 £1.88

Titanfall 2 £2.07

Hotman GOTY £4.05

Metal Gear Solid 5 £1.26

Prey Digital Deluxe £4.11

Cuphead £6.24

Kingdom Come: Deliverance Royal Edition £4.11

Divinity Original Sin 2 £3.94

Dead Island Definitive Edition £0.59

Why is Sony allowing this utter shit on PSN?

I think it’s disgusting how such a low quality product can be shovelled on to the store and sold.

why would they do this? Why are they allowing all this filth to swamp their store?

5 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

$$$$.

There’s 8 “jumping” games, jumping taco, jumping taco turbo,jumping burger etc

Theres a set of “break” games too. Coffee break, taco break.

Theres some obsession with Tacos and Pizza.

How Sony have fallen.

It’s the same on Xbox. There is a game called Lab Crisis, but it looks like a crappy mobile game, and you can whore 2000G in 7 minutes. Costs around £4.

But there are loads more like it.

15 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Do people really pay for achievements?

I’ve run into a couple of gamers that were fixated on getting platinum in as many games as possible. They would bemoan a particular title then say ‘easy platinum, though.’ I think they were as bemused by my never having achieved a platinum in my life as I was by their obsession with them. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Is it me it do you have to pay for the Atari Classics Collection, even though it’s listed under the the premium sub? 

Quite a few games under the premium sub have prices in them - P Cars 2/3 that I clicked on and still wanted you to pay.

/Sony