PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

30 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I have to say my first impression on discovering the O and X functions have been swapped was… that is not what I was hoping for. As I intend to keep the PS4 on the go for VR and other stuff, this is going to be a constant niggle.

I don't have a PS5 yet and keep forgetting that they did this. Still a bit annoyed about it, tbh.

4 hours ago, Quest said:

I don't have a PS5 yet and keep forgetting that they did this. Still a bit annoyed about it, tbh.

Have they done this? I'm pretty sure they're the same on my PS5 as they were on the PS4. X to select things and O to back out.

6 hours ago, Darwock said:

I had the vague notion to get the version of Spider-man which has the whole shebang remastered for PS5, as I’ve never played it at all. I don’t see it on the store though? There was one complete edition that I thought might be it but it says PS4/PS5… can anyone advise?

It comes with the ultimate edition of Miles Morales or it's purchasable from the Miles Morales title screen for £20. You could borrow MM from someone as once downloaded it doesn't check for the disc.

They released a fairly big update for Destruction AllStars on Wednesday so I decided to give it another go, having not really touched it since it launched. I had a surprising amount of fun with it.

It's hard for me to pick out exactly what's changed, other than the frontend being overhauled and you can now always double jump. It definitely feels better to play than I remember, though, so I guess they've made quite a few tweaks over the last year. Maybe give it another go if you claimed it via Plus.

23 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Insomniac have been dropping a lot of Resistance hints recently:

My bet is on a remaster.

They would need to change a lot in 2 to make it enjoyable. 1 has some moments but it's Halo lite. 3 was good, though.

8 hours ago, squirtle said:

They would need to change a lot in 2 to make it enjoyable. 1 has some moments but it's Halo lite. 3 was good, though.

Yeah if they are doing a trilogy remaster the second game would need more than the usual cosmetic tweeks for it to pass muster.

I'm just thrilled there's the prospect of more Resistance on the horizon. Hopefully they'll follow the same route Crytek have with Crysis. A solid remaster of the original trilogy and then they'll deliver something fresh which makes full use of the PS5 with a Resistance 4.

Remastering Resistance would be pretty weak sauce hype, but then again have they realistically had time to be doing anything else? I don't really understand how big they are as a studio now, but they've put out Miles Morales and Ratchet, and now are working on Spidey 2 and the Wolverine game.

18 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Remastering Resistance would be pretty weak sauce hype, but then again have they realistically had time to be doing anything else? I don't really understand how big they are as a studio now, but they've put out Miles Morales and Ratchet, and now are working on Spidey 2 and the Wolverine game.

Yeah it’s true, that’s why I think it’s pointing more toward PS3 games coming to “Spartacus”.

I hate to keep beating this drum, but I finally got around to watching this (interesting but too long for the amount of new info) vid, and at 7m 50s Mark Cerny is literally describing the "PS5 backwards compatibility" patent that got everyone so hyped up.

Looks like I'm a part timer with only 178 hours.

52 hours on Ghosts of Tsushima

32 hours on Days Gone (I probably spent at least twice as much again on this in 2020)

23 hours on FFVII remake

19 hours on TLOU2 (via PS Now)

16 hours on R&C Rift Apart

Yeah, mine wouldn't work for a while, but I noticed the app had also stopped notifying me of updates in a party I'm in, so opened the app and had to sign in with the 2FA, once done, it all worked. Weird. Anyway:

Screenshot_2022-01-24-12-32-28-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.04d34aa60cd109277f900e3ba7bb604a.jpg

I've played Warzone for a ridiculous number of hours that I'm not even going to disclose but the wrap-up reckons I've played online for a total of 14h over the year. Those bots I've presumably been up against all this time do remarkably realistic voice chat abuse!

33 minutes ago, hmm said:

I've played Warzone for a ridiculous number of hours that I'm not even going to disclose but the wrap-up reckons I've played online for a total of 14h over the year. Those bots I've presumably been up against all this time do remarkably realistic voice chat abuse!

437 hours of Warzone mine said , I blame covid 

15 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yeah, that was actually my first thought, just how big are Insomniac at this point? I guess it is possible that another studio is handling remaster duties, if that is indeed what we're getting, but I'd be surprised if Insomniac would easily see another team pick up development duties of one of their classic franchises.

Insomniac are madly productive. They seem to put out a game nearly every year, unlike most Sony first party studios who spend 6/7 years on a game; I could fairly easily believe they’d decide to remake Resistance, and bang it out in a year. Not sure I’d necessarily want them to, admittedly. 

5B89E5B0-8105-47E4-9D9A-C4B1CAA046FB.thumb.jpeg.4215daf08412e656a89c428c602ff954.jpeg

Here’s mine. Fortnite is all from the boy who uses my PSN ID to play it. I’m pretty happy with the rest of my top 5 though. It annoys me slightly that when they update a title it overwrites what was there before, I’ve never played and don’t own the DC of GoT, so it shouldn’t show there I don’t think. 

Returnal defo GOTY for me. Demon’s is only in first place for time as I did a second play-through while I was isolating. 

On 27/01/2022 at 12:45, Darwock said:

Looking through my games library is a bit confusing (nothing downloaded as of yet). There are some titles which have a ‘no entry’ symbol on them and the text “playable on PS4” indicating I can’t download them. One of these is the FF7 remake - I thought that would run on PS5?

I’ll bet that FF7R library tile that you’re seeing as being unplayable on PS5 pertains to the FF7R demo. Did you have that on your PS4? 

I was similarly confused by apparently not being able to play DOOM 2016. It was the demo that was in fact unplayable on PS5 in the end.