IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

On 08/04/2021 at 00:03, Harrisown said:

I feel like they should make us pay more for plus if they can’t provide a proper service at the current price point.

Or they could just not suck so hard on this front.  Their whole cloud thing is just absolutely weird with odd decisions leaving a shitty experience for the players.

49 minutes ago, Shevchenko said:
Who asked for TLOU remake? 

No one asked for it but it'll sell like hotcakes for some reason.

Thing is though, the focus on big hitters has worked amazingly well for them last gen.  Any deficiencies elsewhere were overshadowed by having AAA games every year.  Why is it a problem on PS5?   It's a strategy that has got them the market lead by a country mile.

3 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

There’s no gameplay improvements in TLOU2 from the original, so I don’t understand what a remake would bring?

There is though. You have things in two that you can't do in the first, like jump, dodge and go prone. Makes the combat a lot more dynamic.

Not that I need a remake, but perhaps they're betting on the HBO series hitting big.

2 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

There’s no gameplay improvements in TLOU2 from the original, so I don’t understand what a remake would bring?

The only logical explanation would be that it lines up with the TV series release. But I am hoping the TV series is just a whole new take on the story. 

I feel like the framing for that article doesn't really match the content. Like, the actual meat of it is:

1. Part of a support studios wants to establish itself by remaking The Last of Us, apparently on a new engine. Not happy with the project's progress Sony brought in Naughty Dog staff to work on it, so due to feeling a loss of ownership of the project staff from the original team left.
  2. Bend's pitch for a sequel to the much maligned – if ultimately profitable, and a good game in my opinion  – Days Gone was denied. They were assisting with a new Uncharted but were unhappy with that and are now on a new IP.

And somehow from this my takeaway is supposed to be that Sony is stifling creativity of smaller teams. No offence to those at San Diego, as I'm sure they felt underfunded and were probably doing good work, but establishing a new studio for remakes of games that aren't even that old doesn't exactly inspire me.

Really weird article - from the title I was expecting something a lot more spicy than a support team having their dreams dashed of finally getting free reign to create an original concept like...A remake of The Last of Us?

As for the Days Gone stuff, it looks like the Bend team suffered from the weirdly aggressive coverage it got from the games media. Remember that game was pretty consistently trashed from the moment of reveal all the way through to its reviews - it’s initial sales were OK but it only really seems to have found its audience in the past year, especially with the PS5 patch. 

59 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Thing is though, the focus on big hitters has worked amazingly well for them last gen.  Any deficiencies elsewhere were overshadowed by having AAA games every year.  Why is it a problem on PS5?   It's a strategy that has got them the market lead by a country mile.

I really like their current approach to be honest. They pump out the big hitters at 1 or 2 a year and third parties provide the rest.

I’m hoping MS start to produce some proper AAA stuff as well, now they’ve got all those studios.

I like most of the big hitters and Sony is clearly very good at making those, but I hope they keep funding the Dreams and Returnals of this world as well, as new and more risky IP makes your line-up a lot more interesting and varied.

2 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Has anyone noticed that if you delete a game on the PS5 the grey icon stays in the list at the top?

Is there any way to remove it?

Had this prob and just fixed it by deleting the saved game data.

I have been really impressed with remote play on the ps5. I always found it hit and miss on the PS4 and PS4 pro, sometimes fine, sometimes a little choppy.  But in the PS5 its been rock solid.

I am using an app called PSPlay on my android phone and it allows me to specify a 1080p image at 60fps with HDR without any issues. It also allows me to use my Kishi Razor which essentially turns my phone into a handheld PS5.

I also tried the same app on my Chromebook tonight and again it was spot on.

It's superhandy, especially when the kids are watching something on the TV or I want to play something which isn't suitable for them.

Yeh I noticed performance is much stronger with the PS5. I’m probably going to get a bit of use out of it in the summer as I sit in the cooler spots of the house playing something like Tropico.

It’s just a shame is saps so much iPad battery when essentially it’ll all just video

I can't download anything on my ps5 today.

From the store it shows the progress indicator on the "download" button but never starts the download.

From the library it's even better. A big "please wait" modal comes over the screen and never goes away. I have to hard reset the PS5 and reboot at which point it admonishes me for not shutting down correctly and rebuilds my external drive.

Anyone else having issues - PSN status page says no issues... I did see that apparently PS3 patches have stopped downloading and wondered if theeres actually a more general server issue.

edit: also tried to start download from the website, nothing.

Edited by Alshie

Can anyone with experience of returning a PS5 console to Sony help me out? Royal Mail says my PS5 was delivered 9th April, Sony's website says it's still in transit and not received. :unsure:

Is that the norm?

My controller was going doolally yesterday. Loads of analogue stick drift, button presses not registering etc. Have also had a number of times recently where the controller won’t turn the PS5 on either, so I actually have to press the power switch. Not sure if it’s related but I also get kept booted off my WiFi too. 

I know others have had issues before - does this sound more like a controller issue (ignoring the wi-fi issue)?

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Can anyone with experience of returning a PS5 console to Sony help me out? Royal Mail says my PS5 was delivered 9th April, Sony's website says it's still in transit and not received. :unsure:

Is that the norm?

Yeah, just bear with it. It'll be at Sony's distribution partner having been dropped off by RM, Sony themselves haven't had it arrive at their repair centre yet is all.

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive