PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

2 hours ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

I've been assuming that the silence around Last of Us 2 is either because there's a PS5 patch due some point next year, that they might push during a fallow period, or because there'll be full-blown remaster, like for the first game. Hopefully the former, but who knows?

All they need to do is add a toggle switch for the frame rate cap. Job done thanks , see you in the next game.

Getting very excited for the FedEx man to turn up now. I was surpised they got it out so quick and had planned to wait till black Friday to get games and accessories as surely be some discounts. But can I hang on with just astrobot? 

12 minutes ago, Len said:

Getting very excited for the FedEx man to turn up now. I was surpised they got it out so quick and had planned to wait till black Friday to get games and accessories as surely be some discounts. But can I hang on with just astrobot? 

Could subscribe for PlayStation Plus (maybe a 30 day sub until you get a cheaper 12 month deal as part of Black Friday), get this months 'free' game Bugsnax and also part of it is the PlayStation Plus Collection which has loads of PS4 games you can download:

Batman: Arkham Knight

Battlefield 1

Bloodborne

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Zombie's Chronicles Edition

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

Days Gone

Detroit: Become Human

Fallout 4

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition

God of War

Infamous Second Son

Monster Hunter World

Mortal Kombat X

Persona 5

Ratchet and Clank

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

The Last Guardian

The Last of Us Remastered

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Until Dawn

11 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Could subscribe for PlayStation Plus (maybe a 30 day sub until you get a cheaper 12 month deal as part of Black Friday), get this months 'free' game Bugsnax and also part of it is the PlayStation Plus Collection which has loads of PS4 games you can download:

Batman: Arkham Knight

Battlefield 1

Bloodborne

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Zombie's Chronicles Edition

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

Days Gone

Detroit: Become Human

Fallout 4

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition

God of War

Infamous Second Son

Monster Hunter World

Mortal Kombat X

Persona 5

Ratchet and Clank

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

The Last Guardian

The Last of Us Remastered

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Until Dawn

Good shout but already am. They even gave me free 2 day shipping cos of it. 

Thinking about it though, I've got tlou2 to finish so easily get me through a week or two till deals arrive. 

13 minutes ago, Capwn said:

The 'card' thing, I still just don't get it at all. I'm told I am 30% or whatever through a mission and I don't even know I'm in a mission (Spiderman), I don't care and I don't want to know? Then I see a card for another side quest, I'm curious if it takes me straight to that mission and it does! So the cards also act as a 'quest menu' too? I'd prefer to initiate the 'quest' naturally through the game? It's really odd. I wonder if you can turn off this card system? I would really want to turn it off for a storydriven Kojima/NaughtyDog etc game

When you’re in the game can you ignore them or do they keep popping up? Can you just use them as a shortcut when you’re starting up the game to e.g. jump straight into a sidequest?

1 minute ago, scoobysi said:

When you’re in the game can you ignore them or do they keep popping up? Can you just use them as a shortcut when you’re starting up the game to e.g. jump straight into a sidequest?

They never pop up during game, they just appear when you press the 'home' button. Yeah you can use them to jump straight into quests but to be honest it's all very confusing how they appear. I naturally activated a quest involving finding cats and completed it, then later in my cards found one that was to find another cat. Clicked on it and it instantly played a cutscene of me talking to some guy about his missing cat. So perhaps once you begin a quest tree, those pop up in your cards? 

The time reveal on the cards are annoying too, like last night I closed a game when starting a new mission and instantly found out there was 30 mins left. So I instantly knew it was a big mission, maybe it's just me but I'd prefer to not know? Also how does it know how long is left? It depends how you go about it and how good you are? Really weird.

Using cards to jump straight to a side mission doesn't appeal to me at all either, feels like the antitheses of immersion just picking quests from your console's OS and being taken straight to them with no context. Can only remotely see the appeal if you're using them to mop up crappy side content like bandit camps for a trophy or something.

Yeah I don't like the sound of the cards either I don't need that crap, hopefully it can be disabled. @Capwn did you get Demons, are there cards for that? One of the best things about Souls games is going through them blind, sounds like the cards could spoiler stuff.

4 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Ah yeah, I don't think any 2080 Ti has a 2.1 hdmi port, not sure if a displayport to HDMI adapter would give you the bandwidth

This one claims to be able to convert Display port 1.4 to HDMI 2.1, so could be very usefull for last gen 20 series and RDNA cards.:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/this_displayport_adapter_makes_4k_120hz_hdmi_2_1_possible_on_today_s_gpus/1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-3D-DisplayPortTM1-4-4K120Hz-Adapter/dp/B08BC8LV3M/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=CAC-1085&qid=1595249150&sr=8-1

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

@Capwn do you have the console horizontal or vertical? Battery life on the controller?

Vertical for now, though I do intend to try horizontal when I finally get rid of my PS4 (which I'm currently only keeping on for bbciplayer and More4 lol). It's less silly looking than I imagined, not too concerned. The 'base' thing is pretty cool as it does work temporarily without the screws so you can play around with both axis before deciding if unsure.

Battery life, that was one of the worst things about the PS4. I have not really been played enough to test it properly but it has lost charge once. I feel like it provided about 4-5 hours of play, so something between PS4 and Switch Pro Controller. Also, the charger cable end that plugs into the pad is so much more solid/sturdy which is good, the PS4 ones would sometimes bend a little. No chance of that happening with a PS5 controller.

3 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Vertical for now, though I do intend to try horizontal when I finally get rid of my PS4 (which I'm currently only keeping on for bbciplayer and More4 lol). It's less silly looking than I imagined, not too concerned. The 'base' thing is pretty cool as it does work temporarily without the screws so you can play around with both axis before deciding if unsure.

Battery life, that was one of the worst things about the PS4. I have not really been played enough to test it properly but it has lost charge once. I feel like it provided about 4-5 hours of play, so something between PS4 and Switch Pro Controller. Also, the charger cable end that plugs into the pad is so much more solid/sturdy which is good, the PS4 ones would sometimes bend a little. No chance of that happening with a PS5 controller.

Disappointed on the battery life if only 4 to 5 hours I was hoping for 7 to 8. I have the charger dock and a second controller so will be fine for long gaming sessions. For now I will have to go vertical for the console behind the TV, no space on the shelf below. Is it a heavy beast vertical will it fall over if knocked?

18 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Between 4 and infinite battery is a pretty big scale. 

19 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Is it a heavy beast vertical will it fall over if knocked?

It's quite heavy but as long as it's in the stand (even unscrewed) it's sturdy, no way could it be kicked over without force.

Forgot to mention my pickup story btw;

They have recently introduced a no plastic bag ban here and the electronics shop were like 'well, we have no bags so have to just give it to you like this' and just hand over the big box. This was in a small mall, I was proper sweating it. My partner really needed to go to Lawtons (think Superdrug), so I'm just walking around this place with a huge PS5 box. Felt so nervous, as I walked in there were two staff near the door that actually went 'Oooooh Playstation 5, nice!' and then when we finally got to the cashier (ugh my partner decided to also look for kitchen spray which she couldn't find) some guy asks me how much it cost. As soon as we left I just went straight for the taxi line.

I always get mega stressed about picking up day 1 consoles from stores. I would just do online deliveries but Canada is awful for this. Consoles get sent out on launch day, also post here is not as fast so you'd be looking at getting it 3-7 days later.

2 minutes ago, Capwn said:

It's quite heavy but as long as it's in the stand (even unscrewed) it's sturdy, no way could it be kicked over without force.

They have recently introduced a no plastic bag ban here and the electronics shop were like 'well, we have no bags so have to just give it to you like this' and just hand over the big box. This was in a small mall, I was proper sweating it. My partner really needed to go to Lawtons (think Superdrug), so I'm just walking around this place with a huge PS5 box. Felt so nervous, as I walked in there were two staff near the door that actually went 'Oooooh Playstation 5, nice!' and then when we finally got to the cashier (ugh my partner decided to also look for kitchen spray which she couldn't find) some guy asks me how much it cost. As soon as we left I just went straight for the taxi line.

I always get stressed about picking up day 1 consoles from stores. 

Thanks for the replies. Can't wait till Thursday or most likely Friday because Amazon.

Yeah I would be the same if I picked up in store. I would pop into the nearest diy store and purchased a black bin bag to wrap it up and hide prying eyes.

3 hours ago, Capwn said:

I always get mega stressed about picking up day 1 consoles from stores. I would just do online deliveries but Canada is awful for this. Consoles get sent out on launch day, also post here is not as fast so you'd be looking at getting it 3-7 days later.

Do you live in a dangerous area or something? I thought you were in Nova Scotia?