PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

4 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

People could stop now if they wanted to. The idea that it ceases after release seems naive given every other gen.

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

Oh my sweet summer child.

The sooner this invasion of Poland is over and we can get away from all these international tensions the better :coffee:

3 hours ago, simms said:

Just wait until the DF comparison videos come out, its going to be carnage

This thread will be awoken MUWHAHAH

I need to be way less subtle with my smilie usage

:coffee:

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

I take it none of the reviewers have tried UHD BR playback yet... With Netflix, Disney+ and AppleTV apps all supporting Dolby Vision it's a real shame the PS5 doesn't. I was really hoping I wouldn't need to get a dedicated player...

Series S.    The Xbox will remain my media player.

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

Series S.    The Xbox will remain my media player.

It has no disk drive... waste of time, all the streaming apps work great on my TV with DV, DA etc PS5 was going to be my dedicated UHD disc machine...

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

On the DV thing, without being too dismissive, I would bet a grandad most people couldn't tell the difference between DV and HDR10.

Edit: Yeah, I said what I said. 

It’s pretty easy to test and pretty easy to see the difference DV looks much better on Netflix let alone actual discs!

The VR news, do They mean the game now runs at the minimum framerate it should have ran at on PS4 and the variable res is now maxed out - so getting boost mode rather than getting PS5 powah?

So assuming you have PSPlus at launch, not only are you going to get loads of PS4 'boosted' games to play but you are also going to get an EG 'Essential' and a 'recommended' title for free.

This deal is getting better all the time ;)

21 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Ooooh, well that's a nice surprise! So Sony's messaging on VR has been a load of shit, then.

Pretty much what happens when you lay off all your regional marketing staff and centralise everything in America and then a pandemic hits. It's been a shit show all round.

15 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

It’s pretty easy to test and pretty easy to see the difference DV looks much better on Netflix let alone actual discs!

I'm being completely straightforward here, please feel free to tell me if you are an expert in this because I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but I disagree.

It's actually really quite difficult to test because it requires having the same source in both HDR10 and Dolby Vision or a device where you can turn on and off DV implementation.

I'd also say that there's not much point comparing streaming sources to anything, because they're inherently inconsistent.

My actual opinion of DV based on my own experiences A/B-ing physical discs and turning DV on/off is that it is potentially better and will be better for physical BD where it's well implemented. In many cases, the difference is virtually imperceptible unless you're quite familiar with both sources. 

I would also wager that for the vast majority of people, the differences they see will be variation in the telly settings between DV and HDR10+ modes. They may seem different - because they will be set up slightly differently - but different isn't necessarily better.

This has got to be one of the most boring posts in the entire thread. Thanks for reading this far. 

2 minutes ago, Marlew said:

I'm being completely straightforward here, please feel free to tell me if you are an expert in this because I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but I disagree.

It's actually really quite difficult to test because it requires having the same source in both HDR10 and Dolby Vision or a device where you can turn on and off DV implementation.

I'd also say that there's not much point comparing streaming sources to anything, because they're inherently inconsistent.

My actual opinion of DV based on my own experiences A/B-ing physical discs and turning DV on/off is that it is potentially better and will be better for physical BD where it's well implemented. In many cases, the difference is virtually imperceptible unless you're quite familiar with both sources. 

I would also wager that for the vast majority of people, the differences they see will be variation in the telly settings between DV and HDR10+ modes. They may seem different - because they will be set up slightly differently - but different isn't necessarily better.

This has got to be one of the most boring posts in the entire thread. Thanks for reading this far. 

Sounds like DV is another one of the list then... Only VRR left for Sony to sort out, although given some posts around that and issues with my TV maybe my PS5 wishlist is now empty!

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

I'm willing to give it a shot - got plenty of DV content on streaming services might pick up a UHDBR movie from CEX to test your theory.

Just quoting to say I answered a few other bits in the post directly above, as well. 

Also, if you do want to see a superb implementation of DV on physical BD, I'd recommend The Matrix or Blade Runner 2049. Both are incredibly well done and there is a perceptible difference (or so my brain tells me!) when I turn DV on/off. 

1 minute ago, Marlew said:

Just quoting to say I answered a few other bits in the post directly above, as well. 

Also, if you do want to see a superb implementation of DV on physical BD, I'd recommend The Matrix or Blade Runner 2049. Both are incredibly well done and there is a perceptible difference (or so my brain tells me!) when I turn DV on/off. 

Two great movies, both of which I haven't watched in a while, Matrix seems like a good one as it was my first DVD!

14 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Im basing it on doing exactly what you say, A/B test on discs and a spinner than can have DV switched on/off on a pretty well setup OLED - I would always use DV given the choice but it’s not a night and day thing but enough for nerds like us to be able to notice!

FWIW I’ve spent the past year watching films on an lcd screen from dvd or streaming services and not enjoyed a film any less than before, my jaw does hit the floor when I see my old OLED in action tho.....

Obv my 4k Blu-ray DV player is a...... Sony ;) 

I have a couple of questions about PS5, sorry if they've been talked about before in the fast-moving thread:

- A lot has been said about the lack of X-Series-X's "quick resume" feature, but does the PS5 at least still have standby/resume for the currently playing game? I found that pretty essential on PS4.

- When you put a PS4 game disc into a PS5, will it start installing the data from the disc, or is the physical disc merely a "key" that starts a full game download?

Just now, SqueakyG said:

I have a couple of questions about PS5, sorry if they've been talked about before in the fast-moving thread:

- A lot has been said about the lack of X-Series-X's "quick resume" feature, but does the PS5 at least still have standby/resume for the currently playing game? I found that pretty essential on PS4.

- When you put a PS4 game disc into a PS5, will it start installing the data from the disc, or is the physical disc merely a "key" that starts a full game download?

It has standby/resume for 1 game yes, just like on PS4, and it installs off the Game Disc, like on PS4 which means you can play unpatched versions of the last guardian for instance, which gives you 1860p@60fps gameplay as opposed to 30fps on the download version.

Good to know that Dolby Vision isn't worth it and neither is VRR.  Suspend Resume is old hat too.

Christ.  It's ok to say it's shit that those features are missing and still believe the Ps5 is a great machine with kickass games. The level of "yeah I don't use that feature anyway and I don't understand why anyone else would" or "no one will notice the difference" posts is funny af.