PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

2 hours ago, kris_doe said:

Anyone know what headsets will work with the PS5? Currently got a set of sony wh1000xm3s but they don't work without a dongle on the ps4. Just watched the review for the pulse 3d headset and I'm slightly tempted :mellow:

What kind of dongle you using?  I’ve been looking at those headphones and am completely confused if they’ll work with the PS4 (and then PS5).

I really want just one nice pair of headphones I can use for everything :(

So, thinking of backing up my PS4 Pro onto an external drive so I can just plug and play into my PS5.

If I'm honest, due to the cost of the console and games, paying the premium for an external SSD isn't really something I'm inclined to do.

Amazon have an external Seagate 2TB drive for £55 which I think will do the job. There's also a PlayStation branded version for £70 and TLOU2 one (mmm, tempting) for £78.

That should be fine for running the PS4 games on the PS5 won't it?

6 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

So, thinking of backing up my PS4 Pro onto an external drive so I can just plug and play into my PS5.

If I'm honest, due to the cost of the console and games, paying the premium for an external SSD isn't really something I'm inclined to do.

Amazon have an external Seagate 2TB drive for £55 which I think will do the job. There's also a PlayStation branded version for £70 and TLOU2 one (mmm, tempting) for £78.

That should be fine for running the PS4 games on the PS5 won't it?

I have a 4tb western digital passport drive and it’s actually better than the internal

2 hours ago, kris_doe said:

Anyone know what headsets will work with the PS5? Currently got a set of sony wh1000xm3s but they don't work without a dongle on the ps4. Just watched the review for the pulse 3d headset and I'm slightly tempted :mellow:

Plug your WH-XM3s into the controller and they'll work fine, as will any headphones. By all reports the quality is a lot better than through the DualShock 4, which makes sense given the 3D audio push.

If any kind of wire is too much, you will want something with a USB dongle. I guess you could connect your headphones to a TV via Bluetooth, if your setup supports that, but there's a good chance that will result in audio lag.

3 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

That backwards compatibility on PS5 is actually bloody good with a huge amount of games running at locked 60FPS.

Nice! Not much of a surprise though, is it? I thought they’d already said most games would work.

Fairly positive review of the new Sony Pulse 3D set. Quite tempted as my old Sony Gold set has done me proud but is on the way out. I've always used that between both PS4 and Xbox One without issues (plug the set into the pad adaptor on the Xbox).

One thing, they say in this review that the 3D surround doesn't work when via the DualSense so not sure if you plug any old set in if that would work or not.

1 minute ago, teddymeow said:

It's more how well they work. Games that struggled to hit a steady frame rate locked at 60FPS 

Yeah, it’s cool and I’m glad they’ve come good on it, but it’s only what I’d expect to be honest. Xbox BC has probably spoiled me.

I now really want one and as soon as they're back free flowing in stock I am getting on board - so 2020!  The UI seems so nice as well, the ray tracing looks phenomenal and it really seems like a new step up.  The silence seems like the icing on the cake here to me. 

1 minute ago, Underwurlde said:

Have any of todays video's covered the video setup?

I'm still hoping that 1440p is supported.

Not a video, but DF confirms that sadly it's not:

And yes, no native support for 1440p desktop monitors is also confirmed. I have an AOC AG271QX display, which works just fine at 1440p resolution on Xbox consoles (with VRR functionality, no less) but the same screen tops out at just 1080p on PlayStation 5, meaning that game outputs will be downscaled from 4K, then upscaled by the screen to 1440p. Mileage may well vary on other screens, but I suspect the best you can hope for will be downscaled 2160p from HDMI 2.0-equipped 1440p monitors.

30 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Bit surprised by Digital Foundry’s reveal that the SSD bay is not, as I’d assumed, part of the air flow path of the system fans, and actually seems to be a sealed box with no air flow whatsoever.

But I was told in this thread that lead better was a MS plant and didn’t know what he was talking about.

Just caught up with the DF backwards compatibility video... very impressive. The Series X one was great and I had my own little worries that the PS5 version might be a little half-baked by comparison but it looks really solid.

Given that I'm running a base PS4 at the moment - and this is looking like a genuinely improved version of the PS4 Pro in most cases - I think I could be really pleasantly surprised at how much of a step up it is performance wise, especially as I have quite a few PS4 games still on my list to get through. Bring on the 19th!

I was all up for getting an XSX a few months after launch, but all this talk of how wonderful the controller is, and the UI, not to mention Demon Souls, has me rethinking things.

Hmm.

It's just so bloody big, though! If it was black I really wouldn't mind so much.

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I was all up for getting an XSX a few months after launch, but all this talk of how wonderful the controller is, and the UI, not to mention Demon Souls, has me rethinking things.

Hmm.

It's just so bloody big, though! If it was black I really wouldn't mind so much.

There'll be replaceable cover plates out in time for Christmas

1 minute ago, teddymeow said:

There'll be replaceable cover plates out in time for Christmas

Will there? I’m wavering on my plan to hold out for a redesign. If there are smaller matte black wings imminent, then I might have to see if I can get one on launch day.

Just being reading the Eurogamer review. The controller and Astrobot sounds like fun! Hopefully the features on the controller will be used in games a bit more this time.

Probably pick one of these up after Christmas time. Still have my old PS4 digital library and that controller looks lovely. Just want to see what content heads its way. 

My desire for a PS5 has gone from non-existent to ‘must have one’ in the last few days. After the shit situation with the Spider-Man remaster, there’s been lots of good news on the backwards compatibility front. PS5 updates for Horizon (which I’ve not yet played) and Naughty Dog’s games would be the icing on the cake. Destruction All-Stars going to PS+ is brilliant, and the reviews of Miles and Astrobot are turning it into a great launch. 

Also in the last two weeks I’ve finished God of War and it’s rocketed into my top 10 of the generation, so Ragnarok is now a day-one essential purchase. I may as well get a PS5 asap as there is clearly no longer any chance of me holding out for a redesign. 

The BC news, reviews of Astrobot & MM, and silent running have convinced me - this will be my next console (and my HTPC won’t be upgraded). 

I don’t have a preorder, hopefully I can grab one before Christmas. I’m still undecided on digital vs disc, I barely used the disc drive on my PS4 but feel I should have something that can play DVDs & Blu-Rays, just in case..

It’s still big and ugly.