PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

7 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I think that however MS intend to play the long game, they surely know that the market (by which I meant the media as well as customers) will always want at least something exclusive at launch - so to have nothing is definitely going to hurt and the PS5 is going to get a lot of coverage off the back of what they've got (even Bugsnax and Destruction Allstars).

Not that I have any stake in the game though, as the PS5 hasn't currently got anything I'm interested in either, plus I've always properly hated their controllers anyway. At least they've made it more Xbox-shaped now, so it'll be more comfortable in the hand I guess.

The Dual Shock 4 was literally Xbox 360 pad shaped. 

715099009_DS4360.JPG.43d7099ad9eb5499172b2e14c89bd79a.JPG

831858282_DS43602.JPG.95899c03e9e1ac8677cd13acbe21033c.JPG

8 minutes ago, Ry said:

Seriously? By what, twenty seconds at most? They both load pretty quickly. You'd never notice it if they weren't right next to each other.

Just now, BitterToad said:

Seriously? By what, twenty seconds at most? They both load pretty quickly. You'd never notice it if they weren't right next to each other.

20 seconds is a big difference. 

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

While promising a glimpse of the future, Astro's Playroom is a gloriously old-fashioned thing at heart, a characterful, character-driven platformer that has been built to showcase a particular piece of hardware. So often that's where magic in video games happens, and that's most certainly the case here. On its own, this is a beautifully crafted, exquisitely paced and absolutely gorgeous 3D platformer. Combined with the hardware it's bundled on, it's something very special indeed - and one of the best launch titles I can remember in an age.

That's funny. I mean the last actual launch title we had was what BotW....somebody over at EG has a short memory or just likes a bit of hyperbole.

I'm not saying Astro is bad, I'm just willing to bet a bollock it's not at BotW level, or Halo level etc

10 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

The Dual Shock 4 was literally Xbox 360 pad shaped. 

715099009_DS4360.JPG.43d7099ad9eb5499172b2e14c89bd79a.JPG

831858282_DS43602.JPG.95899c03e9e1ac8677cd13acbe21033c.JPG

Thanks I guess for editing the pictures in, I hope you just googled it and didn't go and take them yourself.

I did just go and hold the DS4 before posting and the key difference for me is in the grips, which are longer and further apart as you have visibly demonstrated. I just find the Xbox pad much more comfortable (and prefer the asymmetrical sticks).

I think the PS5 will be a great machine though and as I've said before, Sony first-party games tend to have better art direction than Xbox titles so I may well get over the pad discomfort down the line and join the club.

1 hour ago, Seamonster said:

Speaking of which.....

I'm 2 mins in and it looks amazing

Pleased BC is better than expected... 

But this ... this is something else - reading the 60fps no RT VS 30fps with RT comments before seeing this video, I was 60FPS YEAH BABY. Now it's RT all the way, just amazing.

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you (or the tech - very possible :) ) I don't think you are right on that. PS5 has the boost capability in BC mode allowing it to use the extra resources to bump up frame rates, etc... God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, etc... have already have had the devs go on record to state the games run with improved performance and I don't think these are the proper "next-gen patches", it's just BC mode beefing them up as far as I'm aware.

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/ps5-game-boost-all-major-ps4-game-improvements

Correct, PS5 just switches in to its PS4 Pro or PS4 compatibility mode to play unpatched PS4 games (whichever the game supports) and it will apply a clock speed boost. PS4 games with PS5 “upgrades” are just downloading the native PS5 version of the game.

4 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Pleased BC is better than expected... 

But this ... this is something else - reading the 60fps no RT VS 30fps with RT comments before seeing this video, I was 60FPS YEAH BABY. Now it's RT all the way, just amazing.

Yep I was just thinking I love how Spider-Man feels on a base PS4, it never feels sluggish so I might as well go super shiny RT all the way on PS5. However, do I need to even avoid trying the performance mode in case it spoils the RT mode :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Now the embargo is up have any outlets tested PSVR performance.

In light of the great BC job they have done surely PSVR is going to see a pretty big boost

I read something a while back saying it will have no effect on VR as they didn’t run in dynamic res or variable frame rates so boost mode wouldn’t make any difference.

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Thanks I guess for editing the pictures in, I hope you just googled it and didn't go and take them yourself.

I did just go and hold the DS4 before posting and the key difference for me is in the grips, which are longer and further apart as you have visibly demonstrated. I just find the Xbox pad much more comfortable (and prefer the asymmetrical sticks).

I think the PS5 will be a great machine though and as I've said before, Sony first-party games tend to have better art direction than Xbox titles so I may well get over the pad discomfort down the line and join the club.

Google :)

Yeah I mean there are differences, Bungie helped design the DS4 and i'd imagine thats why it was very Xbox like, designed more for FPS games. It's the reason I was very drawn to the DS4 over XB1 controller, I loved the 360 pad and I could tell the DS4 was more of a successor to that than the XB1 pad. Everything minus the asymmetrical sticks that is.

Also I do appreciate it's very subjective, what works for one and all that.

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

I read something a while back saying it will have no effect on VR as they didn’t run in dynamic res or variable frame rates so boost mode wouldn’t make any difference.

seems you are right

https://www.roadtovr.com/psvr-ps5-review/

PS4pro saw some sharpness improvements which was either super sampling or dynamic res? but seems it isn't being done for PS5

Oh well lets cross fingers for PSVR2

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Can someone explain this to me? Why would older games be slower on PS5 when the raw SSD is so much faster given the 2.4gbps vs 5.5gbps difference. As it's BC, it's not using Xbox's Velocity architecture (or PS5 equivalent), so it just doesn't make sense :huh: Maybe it's something to do with the traffic priorities Cerny mentioned and BC by default is given a low priority. If that's the case then it could be fixed I guess.

43 minutes ago, rgraves said:

That's funny. I mean the last actual launch title we had was what BotW....somebody over at EG has a short memory or just likes a bit of hyperbole.

I'm not saying Astro is bad, I'm just willing to bet a bollock it's not at BotW level, or Halo level etc

Well, it does say one of the best, not THE best.