PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Well, that's the next gen console-wars already sewn up! 

Hang on - when MS announced 360 BC for Xbox One didn't everyone say noone cares about BC?

And every time BC is mentioned people queue up to say BC doesn't matter (like when it was taken out of PS3 for instance).

Now it does matter? got it.

39 minutes ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

I wonder will it support 4K UHD Blu Ray. 

PS5 to me need to do these things play 

UHD 4K Blu Ray, Blu Ray, DVD, CD, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5 games and do 60FPS 4K, and 8K and no slow loading. 

One problem with SSD Hard Disk it is  too expensive and lack the necessary storage. 

Also absolutely must support Eye Toy, Buzz controllers and play Pocketstation and Nintendo Playstation games, and for media I really need it to play my Minidiscs. And ATRAC.

Why is it Microsoft are so much better at this stuff than Sony? Clearly too difficult for them!

4 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Was hoping for Ps3/Ps2/Ps1  BC.    

If Sony have the will to do it PS1/2 emulation will be trivial on something so powerful. PS3 would be more of a challenge but still very doable. It could be added as a firmware update if it doesn't support it at launch.

16 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

If Sony have the will to do it PS1/2 emulation will be trivial on something so powerful. PS3 would be more of a challenge but still very doable. It could be added as a firmware update if it doesn't support it at launch.

Think anything is doable. Suppose it depends if it is financially viable. I can imagine Sony will have no problems with PS4. PS3 will be an arse to emulate on x86 architectures. PS2 is doable though but really how many people will actually want to play PS2 games these days? On a modern 4K TV?

Sony already has a PS2 emulator for PS4:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-ps4-playstation2-emulation

...but it seems like they only used it to add a few PS2 Classics to PSN. I would imagine it wouldn’t be hard to port it to the PS5, and PS1 emulation would be trivial by now, surely? PS3 sounds like it would be a different story, and it would be weird to launch the service with a PS3-shaped hole in the middle. Would be great if they did do it, obviously. 

Regarding price, won't they just have an option for console plus online stuff for 24 monthly payments or something? We seem to be going in that direction. They can have at the $5/600 consoles then, without necessarily needing a vanilla/pro tier.

7 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Think anything is doable. Suppose it depends if it is financially viable. I can imagine Sony will have no problems with PS4. PS3 will be an arse to emulate on x86 architectures. PS2 is doable though but really how many people will actually want to play PS2 games these days? On a modern 4K TV?

Well I would for a start. Imagine being able to stick ANY Playstation disc in the slot and it playing over a nice clean HDMI signal.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

Hang on - when MS announced 360 BC for Xbox One didn't everyone say noone cares about BC?

And every time BC is mentioned people queue up to say BC doesn't matter (like when it was taken out of PS3 for instance).

Now it does matter? got it.

The difference here is that Sony have announced that PS5 will have backwards compatibility from the start whereas Xbox One didn't have it until half way through the generation, at which point it was a bit of a wasted feature given that's it's used to persuade prospective buyers to upgrade.

I imagine that if Xbox One had it from the start it would have helped sales.

Probably day 1 for me if the PS4 backcompat is comprehensive. I can work through my existing pile of shame with better performance and hopefully get a bump in VR performance too.

Sony need to address cooling and noise though as my launch PS4 was stupidly loud and my pro spins up the fans a fair bit, external PSU and stop faffing with style over function please.

When the next gen comes I think this is where I'll be doing my console gaming TBH. All comes down to Sony's exclusives. PC will cover anything that MS release as well as doing my "PC stuff" on... :D  

This power update will be great for things like Gran Turismo with VR. Which is something I hope Sony and Polyphony will explore a bit more extensively. 

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The difference here is that Sony have announced that PS5 will have backwards compatibility from the start whereas Xbox One didn't have it until half way through the generation, at which point it was a bit of a wasted feature given that's it's used to persuade prospective buyers to upgrade.

Didnt MS roll out Backwards Compatibility as a way to counter the lack of games?

Just now, SeanR said:

Didnt MS roll out Backwards Compatibility as a way to counter the lack of games?

From what they've said it's all about being able to play the entire Xbox library anywhere on any device, starting with BC on Xbox One. 

21 minutes ago, Stanley said:

so sony were dum-dums for removing PS2 compatibility from PS3?

They had it at launch as hardware BC - removed that - and then removed software BC

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

They wouldn’t have done it if xbox one wasn’t trailing in such a distant 2nd...

Probably not, but now that it appears it will be a standard feature going forward, and how it converges with Game Pass and Xcloud it does at least make MS look more forward thinking in that department, especially with enhancements the games get.

Whatever their reasons, it's a great feature. And even though PS5 will play PS4 games there's no mention of PS3 etc. or whether they'll be enhanced.

15 minutes ago, SeanR said:

They wouldn’t have done it if xbox one wasn’t trailing in such a distant 2nd...

They did it as a direct result of the userbase asking for it on the likes of uservoice. Plus it was always the number one item from Insiders via surveys at that time. 'Not doing things' tend to be a market leader exclusive.

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

so sony were dum-dums for removing PS2 compatibility from PS3?

They had it at launch as hardware BC - removed that - and then removed software BC

From what I understand Sony removed it to bring down the price of the console whereas Xbox One does it at a software (emulation) level, so no extra cost. Different times, different architecture etc.

since digital libraries were a thing we should have had BC as standard. Consumer doesn't care about architecture etc buy a game on a digital store they want it to work on the next platform iteration (within reason with number of generations behind etc) - like Android/IOS does. If I buy locoroco on PS3 then I'd like to still work please on PS5 without digging out my old ps3. Ditto for Space Giraffe on the Xbox ONE+++++ or whatever they call it

Glad to see they are finally both seeing the light!

We need to protect digital titles/purchases better all the time.

Just now, Clipper said:

since digital libraries were a thing we should have had BC as standard. Consumer doesn't care about architecture etc buy a game on a digital store they want it to work on the next platform (within reason) - like Android/IOS does.

Glad to see they are finally both seeing the light!

I don't think anyone would disagree with this but having a more unified and scalable architecture allows them to do it with much less effort, like iOS and Android.

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I don't think anyone would disagree with this but having a more unified and scalable architecture allows them to do it with much less effort, like iOS and Android.

and they should have stopped fucking about switching architecture etc to allow that sooner. Both are guilty with XBox going x86 to PowerPC and back and Sony going cell crackers and then to x86. They have only just realised it is best to do BC as digital stores now mean you piss off way more people when you tell them they can't play their old digital library anymore.

It is irritating to see gamers line up to say BC doesn't matter as they did at the start of last gen ... and still some said it when MS introduced it this time mid-gen. Turkeys voting for christmas.

We should be demanding better from MS and Sony not defending shit decisions :D

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Indeed and thank goodness they got Mark Cerny involved on the PS4!!!! As much as I loved the wacky Sony hardware designs - from a technical point of view they were certainly interesting. x86 is great as it allows toolchains to be developed quicker, third party engines to exploited easier. Also more of talent pool to draw from for developing the games. All allowing them to focus on the visions and ideas for creating great things for us to play! 

Can't see it being less than £500, maybe even £600 if it's got some fancy world beating SSD in it.

I doubt it'll do 60fps at 8K with raytracing either.

Whatever comes of this I'll probably end up pre-ordering and booking the day off work as soon as it's announced.