IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

@Quexex yes exactly that. There is still nothing showing on my Game account so they will have to migrate that over so can claim the points the stuff, but they confirmed on Twitter yesterday that they would be doing that for all orders that had to go through the Guest checkout rather than your personal account.

My plan is to play my PS4 up until its time to switch and then trade in absolutely everything I can against the PS5 and all the games I want :wub: 

35 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Will PS4 digital purchases carry over and run better?

re carry over - I would have thought so, certainly when both PS5 system and PS4 digital purchases are of the same region.

A big question for me though is whether a UK-bought PS5 will run the PS4 games that I bought from the Japanese PS Store. I don't suppose we'll get the answer for that until PS5 is released and folks have tested this.

re run better - some PS4 games will run in PS5 boost mode whatever that is, not sure if is same as PS4 Pro or better

37 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Does PS5 do Dolby Vision for 4K UHD discs do we know?

Microsoft and Dolby just announced that Xbox Series devices will support DV for games (that use DV ofc). Not sure about movie discs though and definitely not sure about PS5 for games or movie discs.

As Sony is using proprietary codecs for 3D audio (partly I guess as they won't then have to pay Dolby a license fee), I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Dolby have fallen out and that DV won't be in PS5 for any media.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Anyone actually willing to pay £70 for Demons? I’m telling myself I’m strong enough to hold out but deep down I know I’m week. But if we all wait....

Shit. For the first time you actually made me realise I’m going to pay £70 for a game.

I kinda shrugged it off till now. Damn that’s a lot of money isn’t it.

6 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Shit. For the first time you actually made me realise I’m going to pay £70 for a game.

I kinda shrugged it off till now. Damn that’s a lot of money isn’t it.

I paid £70 for an imported Super Street fighter 2 on the SNES.

52 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Microsoft and Dolby just announced that Xbox Series devices will support DV for games (that use DV ofc). Not sure about movie discs though and definitely not sure about PS5 for games or movie discs.

As Sony is using proprietary codecs for 3D audio (partly I guess as they won't then have to pay Dolby a license fee), I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Dolby have fallen out and that DV won't be in PS5 for any media.

I will be very disappointed if that's the case. I've held off buying a DV capable 4k player because of the PS5.

8 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Wasn't home the past few days, so I couldn't watch the most recent footage on my 4K telly. Did that today. Miles Morales looks really good, but Demon's Souls looks downright spectacular. :o

That new soul collect effect. :wub:

Preordered one as my wife said she'd go halfers on it. Getting Demon's Souls alonside; not hugely into FromSoft stuff (though I enjoyed Sekiro) but it seemed the best of the kinda underwhelming launch lineup. Might inspire me to finally finish Dark Souls in preparation.

Just waiting for Street Fighter 6 now.

I wouldn't take it as guaranteed but I was on the Amazon Live Chat earlier just confirming some details about the order that will go to my brother and I asked about additional stock coming in, to which they said they expect to have more in prior to launch and plan to open it up as basically another pre-order window. Not sure how much truth there is in that, but I hope that is the case not just for Amazon but other places too.

I went on to ask the person if they would be comfortable with me sticking a weekly recurring catch-up in their diary just to make sure everything is still in place and so we can discuss any risks, issues and generally make sure they don't fuck things up. Apparently Amazon don't offer that service. I conveyed my surprise and disappointment but said I understand its a difficult time for them so will go without.

And a warning to all you on the fence people, not sure if you want a PS5 or whether this whole next gen thing is for you right now... I'm a fairly excitable guy when it comes to things I love and I'm behaving myself while all this pre-order nonsense gets resolved but in a week or so I'm going to be so in your face excited about the PS5 and the new games that its going to make you want to spend your kids Christmas money on one. You've all been warned. When the bubbles start they aint gonna stop!!

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive