rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - Mark Cerny reveals even more details in second WIRED exclusive

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

“relating to or designed for efficiency and comfort in the working environment.”

It is awkward how the drive is slanted away from you, it has plastic jutting out which essentially means it takes up more space than is necessary under your telly, it cannot sit flush with other devices (well it can sideways but will look messy). Given the shape of internal components it’s a wasteful design.

You appear to be confusing practicality with ergonmics. Ergonomics would be at play if you say with this thing on your lap, or in your hands, since you don't ; it isn't. The only interaction with it you would have is to load and eject discs. And since you don't know if that would be any different that usual in this unit, you can't say if it good or bad.

As for it being a wasteful design without knowing the reasons behind it (perhaps it's not just aesthetics, maybe there is a cooling path that means air flow has to be directed in a certain way, meaning wierd angles, and in order to reduce waste plastic, they decided to follow those contours externally). Maybe it a hideous angular mess for no good reason. You aren't in a position to say what is wasteful or not, because you don't have enough information from a grainy picture.

But it's probably fake. I just find the obsessing over what a games console looks like in the outside a bit bizarre . Especially when some people ( not you ) try to use it as some point scoring element in their pathetic fan wars .

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

You appear to be confusing practicality with ergonmics. Ergonomics would be at play if you say with this thing on your lap, or in your hands, since you don't ; it isn't. The only interaction with it you would have is to load and eject discs. And since you don't know if that would be any different that usual in this unit, you can't say if it good or bad.

As for it being a wasteful design without knowing the reasons behind it (perhaps it's not just aesthetics, maybe there is a cooling path that means air flow has to be directed in a certain way, meaning wierd angles, and in order to reduce waste plastic, they decided to follow those contours externally). Maybe it a hideous angular mess for no good reason. You aren't in a position to say what is wasteful or not, because you don't have enough information from a grainy picture.

But it's probably fake. I just find the obsessing over what a games console looks like in the outside a bit bizarre . Especially when some people ( not you ) try to use it as some point scoring element in their pathetic fan wars .

I think it’s a bit bizarre to give a shit about someone’s use of the word ‘ergonomic’ - I understand it’s not perfectly applied here but it conveyed the meaning well enough, and afaik this isn’t being graded.

Of course Sony may have manufactured bespoke trapezoid microchips for this thing. I doubt it.

But as none of us are in a position to say anything concrete about the console, shall we close the thread until launch day?

• Upvote 2

Suggesting it's fake because it's a bad design would also suggest that there's never been a bad-looking console in the history of games.

Look at the Jaguar and it's toilet-lid add on, or the enormous ugliness of the OG Xbox, or the chonk Nintendo DS before it went through several different iterations and a few broken hinges. Some consoles just come out looking bad. ;) 

(EDIT: I'm not necessarily saying that the image is real, or fake... I'm just not sure if bad looks are an ironclad argument...)

• Upvote 1

Beside Sony love plastic bits that stick out and consoles that don't fit flush with anything else. The PS2 looked like it belonged on a book case if stood upright, the PS3 had curves and the PS4 had a diagonal front and back which means it looks fucking weird. These things are designed to be awkward to look at/use.

• Upvote 1

I quite liked the PS3's smoked glass look. It attracted finger prints from across the room, but it definitely felt expensive in a way their consoles since have not.

Personally I don't buy the supposed PS5 photo. The design itself is plausible but it's so lacking in embellishment that it would be easy for anyone to 3D print, plus I feel like the timing seems off: if it was a disassembled chassis from a factory line I could maybe understand, but that image suggests it's a working unit you plug in and I suspect we're a couple of months off from that point.

24 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I quite liked the PS3's smoked glass look. It attracted finger prints from across the room, but it definitely felt expensive in a way their consoles since have not.

It was better black but urgh, remember it came out when every piece of consumer electronics was that cheap looking grey/silver so there was a load of these stinking up peoples living rooms:

67138254-1BA0-458E-8214-6D1E4284E90B.jpeg.59e1bba1785a08adef79dd486a5189c8.jpeg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

remember it came out when every piece of consumer electronics was that cheap looking grey/silver so there was a load of these stinking up peoples living rooms:

67138254-1BA0-458E-8214-6D1E4284E90B.jpeg.59e1bba1785a08adef79dd486a5189c8.jpeg

This style is totally going to come back into fashion now.

9 hours ago, deKay said:

All I want in a PS5 design is the ability to distinguish between the power and eject buttons without having to press them.

and the USB ports on the back!

22 hours ago, JPL said:

And that ridiculous slanted angle of the PS4 was the height of ergonomics was it? :lol:

It's not but it's also quite a simple design, most fakes go too far and that's why that one looks dodgy to me.  I'm trying to think of the last remotely mainstream console that launched as a weird shape and it might even be that Atari Jaguar. And even that was left right symmetrical.

4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Like PSPro.

Front ones are essential, but rear ones are nice.

Both are essential. 

The PS5 could be such a nice design that people drop to their knees and weep when they see it, neighbours camping outside with candles and laying flowers at your front door. It could be so aesthetically pleasing that peace in the Middle East is finally reached, as how can war co-exist in a world with such beauty?

But it will all be for shit if a fucking charging cable is sticking out the front of it all the time.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

image.thumb.png.153175ca723d20e677f6f92290d99439.png

image.png.e5d33e511c50a50becc15d9d8a45e772.png    

" Hey everyone! I can't believe this but the PS5 is coming out next month!! Quite brave of Sony to be so quiet about it and just release it without any form of advertising, promotion or full feature reveal! "

• Upvote 4

I think it's just clumsy headline writing and they mean launch event.

You know, like the infamous "TV! TV! SPORTS! TV!" one for Xbox one.  It's Sony's turn this gen to fuck up their launch after all.

• Upvote 4

Assume this is just the reveal they reckon may or may not happen at the Sony store event thing in NYC isn't it?

On 16/01/2020 at 22:44, deKay said:

All I want in a PS5 design is the ability to distinguish between the power and eject buttons without having to press them.

All I want is a screenshot/record button that works instantly like the Switch.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, wretcherd said:

All I want is a screenshot/record button that works instantly like the Switch.

It does work instantly as far as I can tell, it’s the notification ping which is delayed. I guess it pings when it finishes saving the file instead of when the image is taken. The sort of bad design that would be easy to fix but make the console seem far faster, i.e. classic Sony design.

It depends on the game. Recording a clip in Titanfall 2 multiplayer requires you to wait while the OS fights for resource from the game which can take 20 seconds. Unless you record 15 minute blocks between matches and then edit them down later, and I cannot be bothered with that.

@Alex W. That could be true of screenshots, but yesterday I was playing Jedi Fallen Order, pressed the share button after a fight, and waited almost a minute before I could save the video while my guy slowly walked forwards.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

It does work instantly as far as I can tell, it’s the notification ping which is delayed. I guess it pings when it finishes saving the file instead of when the image is taken. The sort of bad design that would be easy to fix but make the console seem far faster, i.e. classic Sony design.

I've heard that the screenshots are instant but on a few occasions for me the captured image has been seconds late, which is frustrating. 

I really hope they fix the messy UI for PS5. I was glad they added the quick side-bar but notifications pop up directly over the menu text which is bizarre. It's also frustratingly slow.

56 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Nicked from GAF but apparently this guy knows a bit and other places are saying Feb 5th. Here. We. Go....

I've seen that bridge before. Ridge Racer Remastered surely.

DjmOndRWsAE0--T.jpg

• Upvote 4