PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

56 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

After a shuffle around today the PS4 is now on  50cm x 40cm x 11.5cm shelf in my media cabinet... I think that lump will just about fit!

Depends how tall the base is really.

Rich Leadbetter on ease of development:

Every single developer I've spoken to developing for PS5 has been evangelising how easy it is to work for, Its essentially the same development environment as PS4 and you scale up from there, for the new powers, the features and whatnot. I can't stress enough how happy developers seem to be with this situation

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Depends how tall the base is really.

Yeah, it’s going to be tight either way. The drive adds 12mm to the actual box height according to official specs, but if you look at the renders the overhangs the side of the base so I think the effective height of both with base will be the same. That would give me about 20-25mm available for base adjustment before I need to start thinking about drilling custom shelf mounts.

It really is a box only a Cerny could love. :facepalm:

It’s kind of the opposite of how the Xbox 360 had an “inhale” to make it look smaller than it actually was. This screams “bursting at the seams with technology” and honestly the fact that it weighs the best part of 5 kg told that story without any aesthetic help.

It's the white collar / fins I think are objectionable in the design, they look like they serve no purpose other than to take up  more space. 

I'm sure it will look good in person, but it seems difficult to appreciate the design in these photos.

10 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

It's the white collar / fins I think are objectionable in the design, they look like they serve no purpose other than to take up  more space. 

I'm sure it will look good in person, but it seems difficult to appreciate the design in these photos.

It looks awful in renders and even worse in photographs. All they need to do is reveal that it’s got RGB, which is what I suspect they mean by customisation, and it’ll be the worst looking console ever. 

The Series X isn’t far behind, mind.

I think all Sony said about customisation was that there were more options for them to customise it, not the end user. I know the internet loves a good rumour but Sony loves selling people special edition consoles.

I’ve never really minded how Sony consoles look before, even the shiny George Foreman PS3 I quite liked. Xboxes have always been quite fugly in comparison, with the original Xbox just being an enormous block and the Xbox One being an even less inspiring, even more enormous Block. 360 had so,e thought put into it mind, and the OneX is wonderfully unobtrusive.

I have to say though, from everything I’ve seen, the PS5 looks like the ugliest lump of plastic ever. After the super well thought out PS4, Sony have gone full on batshit for this one.

Looking again at the design, it seems to me that they realised they had a big unwieldy box and tried to disguise that with the swooping curves - it does break up the bulk of the machine and makes it look like the console is sort of the black central part wrapped in the white part. These shots reveal how chunky that white part is and make it clearer that it's a big oblong lump.  

I always thought the original 360 shape with the curved "inhale" on the sides was pretty naff and cheap looking - mine lived where I'm sure a lot of these new consoles will end up - standing vertically behind the TV.  In that event I don't think it matters.  If it's on display, unobtrusive is probably best - I think the 1S got it right, better than the 1X which is smaller but not as symmetrical. 

Honestly the PS5 is so fucking ugly I can't believe they are releasing it like that. Hope they quickly release a black one or some black 'fins' (if they are replaceable) so at least it can look a little less conspicuous among other tech usually found in the average home.

The only issue I have with it is the colour - being white will draw attention, otherwise nobody will ever look at it so I wouldn’t care what it looks like. I’m fairly tempted to wait for a black version. They usually do re-colours right? I’ve never cared enough to take notice of any trend before.

2 hours ago, Haribokart said:

Honestly the PS5 is so fucking ugly I can't believe they are releasing it like that. Hope they quickly release a black one or some black 'fins' (if they are replaceable) so at least it can look a little less conspicuous among other tech usually found in the average home.

Having looked at the photos, they’ve gone two tone because otherwise it’s a huge dark horribly shaped void.

I love the sci-fi look of it, although because of its size it will not fit in my tv unit. Currently my Switch is behind my tv so that will move down onto the shelf to replace the PS4. The PS5 will sit vertical tall and proud but hidden behind the tv.

547DCAB6-3953-46E7-A396-A1D5F0707044.jpeg

42F3A699-68FE-4C3E-8482-AAFAC7F3D187.jpeg

2C319AFC-B320-435E-BF20-41B185990539.jpeg

A26339E4-F530-4008-9C6C-4E34BBFCA8C3.jpeg

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

I love the sci-fi look of it, although because of its size it will not fit in my tv unit. Currently my Switch is behind my tv so that will move down onto the shelf to replace the PS4. The PS5 will sit vertical tall and proud but hidden behind the tv.

547DCAB6-3953-46E7-A396-A1D5F0707044.jpeg

42F3A699-68FE-4C3E-8482-AAFAC7F3D187.jpeg

2C319AFC-B320-435E-BF20-41B185990539.jpeg

A26339E4-F530-4008-9C6C-4E34BBFCA8C3.jpeg

It just looks so different to anything that has been released before. The more I see it the more I love it!

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released