PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

16 hours ago, Alex W. said:

This is the only information I was waiting for - to see if I could fit it in my TV stand - and they give us dimensions ‘excluding largest projection’??

WTF is that? How tall are you, I’m 4’8”, excluding my uppermost section.

I still have no bloody idea.

• Upvote 6
7 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Plans change all the time, they were caught offguard by MS so had to make quick amendments & get it out before Xbox pre-orders.

On what basis are you claiming that though, where has this been said anywhere even semi-officially? It really just could be that they are a bit incompetent.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Gabe said:

On what basis are you claiming that though, where has this been said anywhere even semi-officially? It really just could be that they are a bit incompetent.

True, they are Sony after all :)

6 minutes ago, Darwock said:

This is the only information I was waiting for - to see if I could fit it in my TV stand - and they give us dimensions ‘excluding largest projection’??

WTF is that? How tall are you, I’m 4’8”, excluding my uppermost section.

I still have no bloody idea.

Maybe it has an antenna you pull out and extend like a radio.

Ahh, I know you’re joking but from that it occurs to me that maybe they meant the cables sticking out the back when you plug them in. When I first read it I thought they were referring to all those weird aerodynamic ‘projections’ on the case.

In which case, the unknown factor is the depth, whereas it’s the width that’s the problem for most people. I assume.

edit - just whipped out my ruler, the PS4 is currently in a shelf with 470mm width. I thought I was going to have to wait another few years for a PS5 slim.

15 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Plans change all the time, they were caught offguard by MS so had to make quick amendments & get it out before Xbox pre-orders.

I don’t think so. There’s no rush to get the preorders out - all the launch allocation is going to get sold (as we’re seeing) and they’ve had a two week window to announce and schedule preorders if they really cared about getting them in before Microsoft. 

It’s just been a complete mess. At least Microsoft have been crystal clear on when we can preorder. 

Microsoft are definitely inspiring more confidence.

I'm going to swerve both i think, this gen is nothing more than another mid gen refresh, no exclusive games the 'next gen' versions are higher res with more shinies.

I'm going to build a new PC, screw them both.

• Upvote 1
Just now, HarryBizzle said:

I don’t think so. There’s no rush to get the preorders out - all the launch allocation is going to get sold (as we’re seeing) and they’ve had a two week window to announce and schedule preorders if they really cared about getting them in before Microsoft. 

It’s just been a complete mess. At least Microsoft have been crystal clear on when we can preorder. 

They were obviously worried by MS thus they have rushed out the pre-orders. A £249 console is going to make anyone think twice about sticking with Playstation. They wanted to make sure they get the head start over MS. The presentation was rushed with the changes now made to is it on pc or not etc.  Either way I've got my pre-order because I want to play the first-party exclusives, yes it is not as cheap as the S or as powerful as the X but I have enjoyed my PS4 consoles for the last seven years & I expect no difference in the PS5.

The games are expensive at £70 but that is easy for me I very rarely buy games on release I tend to buy mostly from the trading forums or when they are on sale. I will continue to do the same. On release I have my pre-order of Cyberpunk (PS4) & I will pick up Ghosts of Tshushima. Hopefully GT7 is not too far behind.

TLDR - Yeah they messed it up but it could have been worse & I still have my pre-order.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, gospvg said:

They were obviously worried by MS thus they have rushed out the pre-orders. A £249 console is going to make anyone think twice about sticking with Playstation. They wanted to make sure they get the head start over MS. The presentation was rushed with the changes now made to is it on pc or not etc.  Either way I've got my pre-order because I want to play the first-party exclusives, yes it is not as cheap as the S or as powerful as the X but I have enjoyed my PS4 consoles for the last seven years & I expect no difference in the PS5.

The games are expensive at £70 but that is easy for me I very rarely buy games on release I tend to buy mostly from the trading forums or when they are on sale. I will continue to do the same. On release I have my pre-order of Cyberpunk (PS4) & I will pick up Ghosts of Tshushima. Hopefully GT7 is not too far behind.

TLDR - Yeah they messed it up but it could have been worse & I still have my pre-order.

Again, on what basis do you think any of this is likely? These companies will spend a tidy sum on trying to predict what the opposition is doing, I highly doubt there's much, if anything, about the Xbox reveal that Sony weren't broadly expecting.

I don't buy this 'rushing to get pre-orders out ahead of MS' guff either. MS have clearly said when they go live, Sony have ample time before then to have done something. Hell, they could've really been disruptive and done it 24 hours before MS so a selection of people were more wary of spending £4-500 two nights in a row.

I don't really buy the "rushed" theory. Microsoft had their plans leak a week in advance and got all their stuff released in a clear and concise way within 24 hours of the leak.

Sony had to have had most of that ready to go - literally all that needs changing is various bits of text - which they still got wrong. Jim Ryan doesn't even say the price or release date - that could be changed last minute. And they've still had over a week since Microsoft's announcements to make sure they don't bungle it completely.

Rushed or not - what would have been the issue with saying "preorders will start Friday 19th at 8AM" instead of within 12 hours of their announcement in this totally haphazard manner?

Regardless, I'm hoping that now everything is announced, 3rd parties will show us a bit more of the differences in their games over current gen. I'd particularly like to see what the next gen patches for Cyberpunk and Valhalla include.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Again, on what basis do you think any of this is likely? These companies will spend a tidy sum on trying to predict what the opposition is doing, I highly doubt there's much, if anything, about the Xbox reveal that Sony weren't broadly expecting.

I don't buy this 'rushing to get pre-orders out ahead of MS' guff either. MS have clearly said when they go live, Sony have ample time before then to have done something. Hell, they could've really been disruptive and done it 24 hours before MS so a selection of people were more wary of spending £4-500 two nights in a row.

Plenty of advance notice. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I think the price of the S would have surprised them, it surprised all of us.

1 minute ago, gospvg said:

I think the price of the S would have surprised them, it surprised all of us.

I don't think those two things have any connection with each other.

19 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

They have, but it remains to be seen whether it means anything. The second one retailer breaks rank it's another free-for-all, just as we've seen with PS5; pre-orders weren't supposed to open until today, not last night.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I don't think those two things have any connection with each other.

We will have to disagree I think it did. I feel the S pricing strategy made Sony change thier plans.

Anyone who thinks stock isn't going to immediately get hoovered up on the XBox Series consoles on the 22nd is incredibly optimistic. The same shit show of predicting exactly what time things go live at across multiple websites, webstores failing under load etc is going to happen. Amazon sold out in minutes.

The pent up demand for these consoles is huge.

The only bit of today that's a shit show is not being forewarned.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Microsoft are definitely inspiring more confidence.

I'm going to swerve both i think, this gen is nothing more than another mid gen refresh, no exclusive games the 'next gen' versions are higher res with more shinies.

I'm going to build a new PC, screw them both.

Bro who u kidding lol,you will be sat there at crimbo playing ur ultimate edition fifa 21 on the ps5 or xbox lol:lol:

Guarantee 

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, Theholyhogg said:

Bro who u kidding lol,you will be sat there at crimbo playing ur ultimate edition fifa 21 on the ps5 or xbox lol:lol:

Guarantee 

Christ, it's not the most enticing of next-gen launches as it is - the idea that somebody would still pony up and then just play FIFA....:wacko:

• Upvote 1
Just now, rgraves said:

Christ, it's not the most enticing of next-gen launches as it is - the idea that somebody would still pony up and then just play FIFA....:wacko:

Its not no ,its been shit,but some people,myself included just like buying new things and the ps4 launch was just as crap,but in the end it was my favourite console ive ever owned.

Ive got my pre order through.....

And ill be installing apex legends,Fall guys,rocket league,cod modern warfare and fifa 21 when i get it,im still excited to get it tho even tho ill be playing nothing new on it.

Let everyone just enjoy whatever they want to play on whatever console :)

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I am aware this is obvious, but you are going to have to wait much, much longer for games to be in a sale that brings them down to the price you are used to paying. A 50% sale is still £35. 

Coming from the PC side of things, it’s utterly mental. £72 is 6 months of Humble Choice, and while that hasn’t been as good as Humble Monthly it’s still 60 good games for the price of PS5 Destruction Derby. I just can’t understand why anyone would pay that.

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Anyone who thinks stock isn't going to immediately get hoovered up on the XBox Series consoles on the 22nd is incredibly optimistic. The same shit show of predicting exactly what time things go live at across multiple websites, webstores failing under load etc is going to happen. Amazon sold out in minutes.

The pent up demand for these consoles is huge.

The only bit of today that's a shit show is not being forewarned.

Yep, totally agree and said this in the Xbox Series X thread too. Simply Games and Game Collection have thousands of users which have registered interest and it's going to be the same online crash at 8am on Tuesday without a doubt. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

I thought that was a pretty fair article. Lots of whiplash this morning based entirely on their own previous messaging.

On the flip side, I read it as a right load of old moaning. All of its rhetorical questions just made me stroke my chin and shrug my shoulders, having not wrenched my neck at all since waking up this morning.

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

I am aware this is obvious, but you are going to have to wait much, much longer for games to be in a sale that brings them down to the price you are used to paying. A 50% sale is still £35. 

Coming from the PC side of things, it’s utterly mental. £72 is 6 months of Humble Choice, and while that hasn’t been as good as Humble Monthly it’s still 60 good games for the price of PS5 Destruction Derby. I just can’t understand why anyone would pay that.

I haven't got a gaming PC, I do have a PS5 on pre-order.

1 minute ago, djbhammer said:

Yep, totally agree and said this in the Xbox Series X thread. Simply Games and Game Collection have thousands of users which have registered interest and it's going to be the same online crash at 8am on Tuesday without a doubt. 

It'll be worse. They've created race conditions now.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released