PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

5 minutes ago, Isaac said:

This is demonstrably untrue, isn't it?

Microsoft were well ahead of Sony with the 360, although behind the Wii.

No the PS3 ended up outselling the 360, although it was a close run thing - somewhat surprising, given how dominant 360 seemed, particularly in the US and UK. It was very much the primary console for most of us last gen, myself included. 

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Other than the hardware price, is that so bad?

Then again what you're actually suggesting is more 3do and that didn't end so well.

Well yeah I like quirky designs and stuff like Labo, and the hybrid nature of the Switch etc. 

Who is it that said if you want to make great software, make your own hardware? That, basically. 

10 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

You might well be right. I'd be disappointed in that.

When graphics are your main hook in a generation, there will always be that decision to be made for devs - do I look like this at 1080/60, or do I look like THIS+BELLS+WHISTLES at dynamic rez/30. Unless a platform holder sets minimum levels and starts to refuse cert, it's not going to happen.

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

When graphics are your main hook in a generation, there will always be that decision to be made for devs - do I look like this at 1080/60, or do I look like THIS at dynamic rez/30. Unless a platform holder sets minimum levels and starts to refuse cert, it's not going to happen.

I get that. Just figuring that this gen could be the sweet spot for me where the 'performance' option hits 1080/60 on grunt alone.

I imagine it will more often than not, but it probably is too much to ask that every title nails it.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Well yeah I like quirky designs and stuff like Labo, and the hybrid nature of the Switch etc. 

Who is it that said if you want to make great software, make your own hardware? That, basically. 

To any meaningful degree, are Microsoft and Sony now making their own hardware though? 

20 minutes ago, Dudley said:

To any meaningful degree, are Microsoft and Sony now making their own hardware though? 

Do you mean making it in thier own factories? Using thier own proprietry electronics components? No. Nor are Nintendo.

Are MS/Sony making thier own product in terms of being the design authority? And proprietry mechanics? And the OS? Yes, of course. Are customers buying "sony" or "MS" product as far as they are concerned? Yes.

Customers would still be thinking that if they dropped the pretense they're compatible machines being made non-compatible by software of course.

I mean when I build my next PC I'll be the "Design Authority" but I don't think that's going to give me any special insight into making better games on it.

5 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

It what way, is a company  be it Sony or MS, making games for thier own hardware, anti-consumer?

Is Nintendo anti consumer? Should BotW be on all platforms?

I just hate having to buy all the consoles to get to the exclusives. I’d much rather that games were a standard format and you could choose whichever console you liked the look of most and play everything. I know there’s more to it, like the money generated from exclusives help the platform, but it still feels like I’m being shafted having to buy all that hardware. It doesn’t help that I want minimal clutter either!

5 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

"Exclusives I don't have access to are anti-consumer"

Which exclusives don’t I have access to? I’ve got pretty much every video gaming device in the known universe!

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Customers would still be thinking that if they dropped the pretense they're compatible machines being made non-compatible by software of course.

I mean when I build my next PC I'll be the "Design Authority" but I don't think that's going to give me any special insight into making better games on it.

Don’t you build the hardware according what type of games you want to make, or play in your case, scaling the power of it depending how much “better” you want them to perform. 

Going back to Nintendo they decided to make hardware for games that can be played on TV or handheld - if they just went multi format their entire design philosophy and ethos would go out the window. 

When you look at first party studios such as Naughty Dog or Guerrilla it’s clear to me that they do indeed appear to have special insight and knowledge of the hardware, not to mention budget, with which to produce premium AAA titles used to shift PlayStations, and the same is true of the likes of 343 Industries and Turn 10 Studios. It’s the relationship between those two sides, hardware and software, that holds my interest in consoles. 

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Don’t you build the hardware according what type of games you want to make, or play in your case, scaling the power of it depending how much “better” you want them to perform. 

Traditionally and you could argue Nintendo partially do to an extent still.

But the PS4 and Xbox are the almost completely the same machine at very slightly different specs. There's no special knowledge to be had of anything other than the dev tools and any given software could run on either with minimal tweaking if the hardware was completely unlocked.

Even the Switch is basically a Nvidia Shield.

Hell you mention Turn 10, everything they've done for the past half decade is also on PC.

4 hours ago, Clipper said:

it was a generation where the three main competitors sold approx 100million vs 87 million vs 84 million - I am not sure you'd say there were many losers there.

Who made the most money?

Im pretty sure MS have not made any cash from gaming in 20 years. They’ve made a loss every generation including the 360. Have you forgotten the RROD? That pretty much made sure MS didn’t make anything.

They are pretty much the worst gaming company out there but subsidised by windows and Office.

17 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Traditionally and you could argue Nintendo partially do to an extent still.

But the PS4 and Xbox are the almost completely the same machine at very slightly different specs. There's no special knowledge to be had of anything other than the dev tools and any given software could run on either with minimal tweaking if the hardware was completely unlocked.

Even the Switch is basically a Nvidia Shield.

Hell you mention Turn 10, everything they've done for the past half decade is also on PC.

Well of course but then MS have a vested interest in PC being the Windows platform holder, so that makes sense. 

And yeah the same machine but with different philosophies towards software, and that’s the bit that counts - the user experience, they both feel very different to each other in sometimes subtle and other times quite marked ways. 

I just like a base line that devs work towards and leverage more power over time, become more efficient etc. 

I’m also interested t in form factor, ambient noise, etc. I guess that’s why I like Switch so much despite it being much less powerful, it just seems not to matter. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

By that definition, is Nintendo going to allow me to officially install Google's Android OS on a Switch and allow me to run all the Nvidia Tegra software that would otherwise work perfectly fine on the device?

Probably about as soon as Sony provides me with tools to enable full Microsoft Windows or Linux distro support on a PS4.

All the console manufacturers use other people's commodity hardware technology now, in some cases literally unchanged, and yet the mere application of bespoke tailored software makes all the difference, despite the shared underlying hardware ingredients.

The PS4 and X1 designs are divergent from one another, despite using the same basic building blocks. Code for one can't simply be dropped into the other, much in the same way that Apple Macs aren't just Intel x86 Microsoft Windows PCs or a userfriendlier variant of a Linux distro.

The PS4 and X1 designs are divergent from one another, despite using the same basic building blocks. Code for one can't simply be dropped into the other, much in the same way that Apple Macs aren't just Intel x86 Microsoft Windows PCs

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/boot-camp

You literally can drop code from one onto the other and it's just software stopping you. 

Microsoft are unique in the fact that they're not xbox. They're currently xbox/PC - every exclusive of theirs is only console exclusive. It means I never need to buy their hardware but I'm still completely tied into their software ecosystem (got ultimate game pass until Nov 2022). I'd love it if Sony follow suit but I think to the japanese companies hardware and software is tied priorities for them

On 02/01/2020 at 12:47, probotector said:

AMD aren’t going to give them wildly different products just like last time.

PS4P and XBOXX showed to me that MS have little strategic insight into gaming. Their main strategy has always been throw everything at the kitchen sink, fuck the costs.

Sony on the other hand have always taken a Nintendo like approach.

The PS5 will not only be the superior machine but it will have enough hardware innovation to make devs and tech types swoon, just like the PS4.

It will also make Sony money and will scalable over time. 

M$ have no chance against a fully operational, motivated and well led Sony. Corby has the finger on the pulse, I’m not sure who Microsoft have that is on his level.

What on Earth are you blithering on about? The PS4 Pro approach was to butterfly the GPU (literally just doubled), slightly overclock the CPU and boot it out the door. It doesn’t improve unpatched games unless you enable boost mode (which was added after the fact and may or may not break your game). If you don’t enable boost mode, it literally just switches off half the GPU (i.e. the extra bit) to ensure compatibility. 

The approach taken with the Xbox One X is completely different. A new SOC, which removes the memory bottleneck of the Xbox One, while ensuring 100% compatibility with software, better performance regardless of patching, and boosted AF without any need for developers to patch their software. 

That’s without even mentioning that it’s more power efficient, runs cooler, is smaller, and was brought to market for only £50 more (and even includes a 4K Blu-ray drive). 

4 hours ago, probotector said:

Who made the most money?

Im pretty sure MS have not made any cash from gaming in 20 years. They’ve made a loss every generation including the 360. Have you forgotten the RROD? That pretty much made sure MS didn’t make anything.

They are pretty much the worst gaming company out there but subsidised by windows and Office.

Well that's all made up.  360 was profitable since 2008.

19 hours ago, joffocakes said:

The Dual Shock 4 has been a terrible controller for me. The launch model's sticks peeled away to raw plastic despite me barely using them (I primarily play with a wired arcade stick).The battery life is also poor; I have to rotate a controller out of a charging dock almost every evening. The triggers are also pretty uncomfortable and, frustratingly, can be pressed in slightly in you try to rest the pad on a flat surface, resulting in sudden video rewinds.

The dpad is stuff too, I find it uncomfortable for charge characters in fighting games in particular.

Hopefully.all of these things are improved in the new model. The pad I got with my PS4 Pro at least had sticks which didn't peel so they're aware of the issues.

The best controller Sony has made was the original PS1 controller. Some Street Fighter pros still use the pad in tournaments.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

What on Earth are you blithering on about? The PS4 Pro approach was to butterfly the GPU (literally just doubled), slightly overclock the CPU and boot it out the door. It doesn’t improve unpatched games unless you enable boost mode (which was added after the fact and may or may not break your game). If you don’t enable boost mode, it literally just switches off half the GPU (i.e. the extra bit) to ensure compatibility. 

The approach taken with the Xbox One X is completely different. A new SOC, which removes the memory bottleneck of the Xbox One, while ensuring 100% compatibility with software, better performance regardless of patching, and boosted AF without any need for developers to patch their software. 

That’s without even mentioning that it’s more power efficient, runs cooler, is smaller, and was brought to market for only £50 more (and even includes a 4K Blu-ray drive). 

You mean Sony took the balanced approach while MS threw money at their problem?

Sony didn’t have to drastically improve their console because they got it right first time.

2 minutes ago, probotector said:

Sony didn’t have to drastically improve their console because they got it right first time.

You can argue the reasons for each approach as much as you like but the bottom line is that MS designed a much more efficient and elegant system with more functionality. Unfortunately though it still has the same awful stuttering front end and lacklustre first party support - but the box itself bodes well for the Series X, and they can sort the rest out. 

16 minutes ago, probotector said:

What's balanced about a mid season refresh that struggles to achieve native 4K and has such badly designed heat dispertion system that it full throttles the fans making the system noisy in operation? Do you get imaginary bonus points for cheap construction?

If you throw money at something instead of doing things half assed you clearly get a much better quality product that benefits the end user.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic