PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

The problem with digital is that the marketplace will reach a point where they don't need to sell you the benefits of digital any more and at that point you're trapped.  Think about how Netflix was so much better as they built their brand, but most new stuff is now 'Netflix Originals' where it used to be mainstream films that had been on the cinema.  As soon as they have their customer base and reputation, they can yank the carpet away from under you, increase the price of Gamepass and remove half the games, and charge you £70 a game and never have a sale. I'll take physical any day of the week.

If anyone's wondering, the back of both consoles has an HDMI port, a two-pin power plug, two USB 3.1-A ports, and an ethernet port. There's no obvious place for the SSD bay but they did a good job of concealing the HDD bays on the previous consoles.

Well that was a mixed bag, some bits did look good, some not so much and still massive holes in the info.

Digital only console pricing is aggressive, less than I thought. Almost makes me consider it but I want one of my consoles to have a drive for UHD films.

PS+ Collection is a great shout (albeit very rushed from the looks of it). Annoyingly it quite closely resembles my PlayStation Store purchase history over the past 12 months since trying to catch up with exclusives :doh:

1 minute ago, dumpster said:

The problem with digital is that the marketplace will reach a point where they don't need to sell you the benefits of digital any more and at that point you're trapped.  Think about how Netflix was so much better as they built their brand, but most new stuff is now 'Netflix Originals' where it used to be mainstream films that had been on the cinema.  As soon as they have their customer base and reputation, they can yank the carpet away from under you, increase the price of Gamepass and remove half the games, and charge you £70 a game and never have a sale. I'll take physical any day of the week.

That's not Netflix's decision - as soon as it became clear that the real money was in streaming, the major studios set up their own services and stopped putting their movies early-run on their new competitors. Netflix Originals was a reaction to that, not the cause. It's unlikely to be an issue so long as EA can't set up its own app store.

No you're not. 

No, no, you got me. 

I’m watching a 4K 60fps stream on a 65 inch OLED and to be perfectly honest, it looks quite impressive. Not mindblowingly so, but several base PS4 games already look so good in HDR.

6 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Have they ditched PSVR then?

I was wondering that.

This showcase was just for the gamers who want shiner versions of what is already here. No real innovation or anything that gives any kind of wow factor for me anyway.

Nothing here for me at all. Oh well at least I don't have to pull any money together to get one of these. Or any of the new consoles for that matter. :( 

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

They said this in March:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

When a pallform holder has to resort to language like "we believe" and "majority", it means it's not a slam dunk. Otherwise they'd say "the overwhelming majority *will*".

As I said, every time they mention it they include a bunch of caveats. They just don't sound confident for some reason. I mean, why not pull a MS in that showcase right now and say you'll have access to 1000's of PS4 titles on launch?

I'm sure loads of games will work - like Sony I *believe* that - but they've been far from bloody crystal clear on it.

Just now, Alex W. said:

That's not Netflix's decision - as soon as it became clear that the real money was in streaming, the major studios set up their own services and stopped putting their movies early-run on their new competitors. Netflix Originals was a reaction to that, not the cause. It's unlikely to be an issue so long as EA can't set up its own app store.

..ok, but If there's only one store they have you over a barrel. PC has Steam, Epic etc and it leads to competition. Consoles don't have that.   Gamepass is brilliant and it's had me playing Xbox way more than PS4, but it feels suspiciously good... Like, it has Hotshot Racing on launch day  , Streets of Rage 4 on Launch day...  Surely they're building the brand and converting minds.  Once they have enough customers it won't need to be as good, especially when you have loads of customers who have no choice because their consoles don't take disks.

..ok, but If there's only one store they have you over a barrel. PC has Steam, Epic etc and it leads to competition. Consoles don't have that.   Gamepass is brilliant and it's had me playing Xbox way more than PS4, but it feels suspiciously good... Like, it has Hotshot Racing on launch day  , Streets of Rage 4 on Launch day...  Surely they're building the brand and converting minds.  Once they have enough customers it won't need to be as good, especially when you have loads of customers who have no choice because their consoles don't take disks.

That’s fair and it’s why we need both Sony and Microsoft competing. Because otherwise the deal at the top end of console gaming will get worse.

It's mad this transition - nobody seems to be honestly ready for it - they both seem to be rushing to go at the same as the other, when they both secretly don't want to.

I bet if you got both bosses in a room, they'd have happily shaken hands on a deal to delay all this nonsense until next year...

It's a bit underwhelming.

4 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

No, no, you got me. 

I’m watching a 4K 60fps stream on a 65 inch OLED and to be perfectly honest, it looks quite impressive. Not mindblowingly so, but several base PS4 games already look so good in HDR.

Agreed and I'm sure it looks amazing for you. But if it takes the purchase of an OLED TV to see the real benefits, will this generation suit the mass market?  Maybe we will all have 4K TVs in a year or two but right now I'm not going to pay £450 for something that needs the purchase of a new TV to see any benefit.

Well I was leaning Xbox at launch anyway, but the news that Miles Morales is coming to PS4 has totally made my mind up.  I will hang fire on the PS5 until a game I really want to play comes out on it (Probably Horizon 2).

I'm shocked at the lack of launch games (from both Sony and MS). Demon's souls looks very smooth and the trailer brought back some fond memories but not enough to prompt a purchase, especially as it is coming to PC. In reality, if it was available on PC tomorrow I'd probably still not buy it so it really isn't a system seller for me.

I'm happy to wait for now. The digital version is a little cheaper than I expected so maybe if their ps now/ps plus mess sorts itself out, I'll be tempted to jump in sometime next year.

Dumpster. What are you even talking about? Game Pass is good because of competition from Sony. One isn’t going to kill the other, and if your doommongering predictions did happen to come true, and we started getting put over a barrel, then it’s a window of opportunity for competitors. 

13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

They're geographically close to Japan and need fewer units than the UK does.  It's a supply thing.

This is exactly my take - maybe related to the news (rumours?) of Sony cutting their production estimates, it looks like Europe is taking one for the team. 

This presentation looked for all the world like something Sony felt they had to do, rather than something they were planning to do, in response to the Xbox megaton last week. Trailers for games we’ve already seen, the canny inclusion of a Final Fantasy announcement by showing developer footage and a single slide with some prices on it. 

They were absolutely right to do this presentation but it goes to show just how much Sony are on the back-foot going into this new generation. Even the launch date smells like a response to Microsoft. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released
  • Pob unpinned this topic