PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

9 hours ago, Ferine said:

I could see Godfall turning out decent, but it definitely hasn't shown well so far. 

This is is exactly where Halo was. Everyone was failing to see why MS had bet the farm on it until reviews started appearing. Even showings up to that years TGS were kind of eh, it's an ok looking shooter. It would be funny to see people frothing over it in a few weeks.

(I highly doubt anything of the sort will happen and it really does look the definition of mediocrity in all departments)

10 hours ago, footle said:

It's not really the same goal - "nigh on instant resume of multiple games where you left off".

What it is is the kind of thing that might be really good for an arcade driving game^ - share/publish time trials to your mates, to appear in their OS without having to go through twenty menus. Less useful for the likes of Spiderman and Demon Souls.

(You could also see it being good for the likes of Dreams.)

^ To choose a genre, unrepresented in the assumed launch titles, at random.

So many games use auto save that I think being able to choose “Continue” from the console menu and be right back in to your last save in two seconds will probably be pretty close to the same thing. Not exactly but not at ten gigabytes a go either.

If you have fifteen games installed and you use Quick Resume once on each, the Series X immediately loses its entire storage space advantage.

10 hours ago, Ferine said:

I could see Godfall turning out decent, but it definitely hasn't shown well so far. The latest trailer is better, although I'm still not a fan of the gaudy visual style:

My pick for surprise PS5 hit would be Destruction AllStars. I could see Destruction Derby mixed with Titanfall gaining some traction with streamers, and the studio making it was made up of a bunch of ex-Bizarre Creations people; no idea if that holds true.

3o0n.gif

7 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Quick Resume runs for 5 games.

A sensible solution.

It’s entirely plausible that PS5 will have this - it’s such a no-brainer - but they do have an alternative of sorts so I’m quite convinced yet.

Roll on Wednesday.

11 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

Does Now allow you to play online on those titles that support it without PsPlus?

After they added downloads I would have been more interested, except I’d already bought most of the big games they were advertising. Looking at it now, there could be just as many, if not more games than Game Pass? And I know most of those are streaming only, but Sony should really be pushing it much harder. 

It does:

Whether you stream or download, your PS Now subscription includes full access to most available online multiplayer modes

There is a hard capacity limit on PSNow at present (5 Million according to the last presentation which mentioned it) so not much point really pushing it for mass market adoption. The deal with Microsoft Azure does not fix the problem as you still require actual PS hardware to be installed in data centres close to customers for it to be useful, the same problem xCloud has also.

I wonder how many people are actually using the streaming, though. Another thing that would be simpler to present and manage if they hadn’t rolled the streaming and game subs schemes together.

Jim Ryan:

As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks -- probably our main task -- is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before.

Like the Xbox Series X/S, I think the PS5 is going to be cheaper than most are expecting.

2 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Isn't that AestheticGamer guy the one who fabricated all that hoo-hah about Resi 8 and PS5 struggling to run at 4k because he was upset at how much negative press Microsoft we're getting over the summer?

Yes.

His claims on BOM fly in the face of what Bloomberg's reporter stated. Given the components listed as causing Sony headaches at the time, it sounds questionable how the cost has ballooned 33% since then when those parts are currently dropping in price.

When it comes to sauce, Bloomberg's reporters (Takashi Mochizuki and Jason Schreier) definitely have bottles of it, anybody else is much less reliable.

5 minutes ago, mushashi said:

When it comes to sauce, Bloomberg's reporters (Takashi Mochizuki and Jason Schreier) definitely have bottles of it, anybody else is much less reliable.

Yeah, AestheticGamer certainly seems to have more salt than sauce. :lol:

I don't give much value to the source but $549 isn't an outrageous shout for the disc version with the discless being $499. I don't see Sony eating a big loss to get the discless down to $399 in time for launch because they don't need to. 

Sony have no reason to price below $499 for the disc version, given the brand recognition and loyalty. They aren't a charity, and I don't believe that they are sufficiently frit enough to eat a loss on every machine.

I dunno, Sony's objectives this round are primarily userbase retention-related. Given their BOM is likely now below the $450 last mentioned by Bloomberg and how they priced the PS4 relative to estimated BOM, I could see them choosing to one upping Microsoft on price for the base PS5.

They've got the cheque book open with their dev/publisher stimulus campaign, throwing the userbase a bone with a discount would be par for the course. An extra $50/user to lock in 100+ Million people would pay off long term.

2 minutes ago, mushashi said:

I dunno, Sony's objectives this round are primarily userbase retention-related. Given their BOM is likely now below the $450 last mentioned by Bloomberg and how they priced the PS4 relative to estimated BOM, I could see them choosing to one upping Microsoft on price for the base PS5.

They've got the cheque book open with their dev/publisher stimulus campaign, throwing the userbase a bone with a discount would be par for the course. An extra $50/user to lock in 100+ Million people would pay off long term.

They have the games and the brand, they don't need to aggressively discount. 

4 minutes ago, mushashi said:

you don’t hit 100 million at the launch price. You’re aiming for the first 10 million, and they’ll get that regardless of the price.

Isn’t the expression “the first to ten million”? If Microsoft hit that by March on the strength of Series S alone, a lot of publishers are going to be targeting that platform first.

And Sony don’t want to be in a position where they’re selling units to gullible rubes at $549 for 12 months, then cutting it to $399 to actually make progress in the mainstream. That sort of price cut is a PR nightmare.

11 minutes ago, AI1 said:

€£ 349/449

$ 399/499

3 bollocks (not mine)

Another thing, they really want you to go digital, so if the disc console is 'affordable' at say £349, people will go for that one over the even cheaper digital version. I think my prices are going to be pretty spot on.

*3 extra bollocks raised* (not mine)

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic