PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

31 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

I’m sure Satya’s given Phil Spencer a hefty pile of cash for his division but it still has to turn a profit at some point. Microsoft’s market cap doesn’t mean that their shareholders will be happy with Xbox throwing money into a black hole forever. The old ‘infinite warchest’ argument has always seemed extremely dubious to me and belies a fundamental misunderstanding of how large businesses operate.

Yet it gets repeated before the start of every console generation as a reason why Microsoft can win.

Microsoft keep on changing their game strategy with Xbox every gen, with only the X360 being the closest to the bigger,better,more strategy and it was also their most successful gen so far, both in absolute and relative terms.

Now with their Cloud and service strategy, it'll be interesting to see if this is what the wider market responds to this generation.

With them subsidising both hardware and GP aggressively, they are certainly going pretty deep on the gamer stimulus this round.

I don't expect Sony to price their hardware more expensive than Microsoft, they've historically been willing to lose money upfront on their boxes and with the falling NAND prices, the pricing pressure has actually dropped since the Bloomberg report on the BOM:

The company’s biggest headache is ensuring a reliable supply of DRAM and NAND flash memory, with both in high demand as smartphone makers gear up for fifth-generation devices, according to people familiar with Sony’s operations.

NAND is now in excess supply compared to February 2020 with suppliers having to cut production to prop up pricing. The same applies to DRAM.

4 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

The PlayStation blog says Wednesday is just a games showcase. It better fucking not be at this point. 

They said something similar about the June thing, and we got to see the hardware then. I think we’ll be getting the price this time.

If they don't announce the price people on the fence will start pre-ordering the MS consoles as they are known entities.

Money is tight for a lot of people around the world so even though Christmas feels like ages away, it's time to start planning what to spend and on what.

If Sony go for a premium price of £499 or above I think the leading console for the holiday season could possibly be the X-Box Series S. That is in a real sweet price spot.

As a lifelong Sony fan, all I can say is I hope they pull this out of the bag on Wednesday and show the games, console, UI, price and date.

I could live without seeing the UI in detail but if the price is AWOL then their attempt at building hype just looks like they're scared to announce what is inevitably going to be a crazy number.

I'm hoping for a price you can't resist, games that blow me away and a secret announcement or two up their sleeve - don't let me down Sony.

From a marketing perspective, surely they need to get prices and dates out there before Series X preorders start.

From a gamers perspective, of course it’s always nice to see new games, but really, I’m also at the point of wanting to know prices and dates.

I think the price will be the price they want it to be, and I think Microsoft’s pricing won’t change that (not that we’ll ever know one way or the other).

It’ll be successful anyway, it’s a PlayStation, and they haven’t really done anything crazy with it, to make it undesirable.

It’s not a race or a competition, they don’t get anything for selling the most, there are no prizes. There are however executives hoping for big fat bonuses and shareholders who won’t be all that pleased if they cut the price so much when they could have sold it for more... 

8 minutes ago, Freeman said:

From a marketing perspective, surely they need to get prices and dates out there before Series X preorders start.

I think this... 

I can totally understand them keeping their powder dry so far but the Xbox pricing is out there now, the hype is real, and in 10 days people can start putting their money down for them. People on the fence can start daydreaming about unpacking new hardware and seeing what next gen can do (the answer just faster load times as there aren't any games but you know what I mean ;)) and that may be enough to make a choice if the other option is "at some point, for some amount of money, but probably more expensive".

If they don't get the price, release date and pre-order date (soon) out there this week I'd be amazed and in my opinion a mistake. There is literally no reason not to now!

not announcing a price and date would be hilarious. Just for the forum meltdown. I don’t think we should underestimate how much more the controller might cost either.

But they’ll win Wednesday:

- spiderman, launch

- demon souls launch or launch window

- ratchet and clank, launch window

- call of duty something exclusive

- something else. Launch.

3 minutes ago, footle said:

not announcing a price and date would be hilarious. Just for the forum meltdown. I don’t think we should underestimate how much more the controller might cost either.

- spiderman, launch

On 10/09/2020 at 13:56, joffocakes said:

Ridge Racer.

Next week could be very expensive, PS5 plus the apple announcement.

Forget Eat Out to Help Out, we need Gadgets for Gadgies where you buy a PS5 and get 50% off an Apple Watch S6.

6 minutes ago, footle said:

- spiderman, launch

They will win this gen regardless of price, launch exclusives or power under the hood. They go into this gen with an unassailable lead and a massive brand following.

They are the kings of the console gaming space and MS knows this which is why they are now going down a services focused route instead. No one can topple Sony at the traditional console market game.

2 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

God(aw)fall?

Has that joke been made before?

Once or twice, but it deserves it to be repeated.

Knowing my luck, I'll be playing that and Bugsnax on Christmas day because either nothing else came out or the PS store is full of Christmas goodies but not working.

3 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

No one can topple Sony at the traditional console market game.

I don't think this is true anymore, or ever has been. The competition this time is very well placed, even I as someone who has never owned an X-Box is seriously thinking of getting the Series S to dip my toe in the water.

Remember when Nintendo owned the under the telly console market and the PS1 & 2 kicked them right out of it?

It could easily happen again. Sony are the kings of the big budget story driven masterpieces but other than Spidey MM which looks like it isn't actually a full game, they don't have one.

Horizon is over a year away at best, GOW hasn't been announced so that's at least two years away and ND have been too busy with leaving the PS4 on a high note.

I'll be more than happy to be convinced otherwise on Wednesday, but don't underestimate how the market and competition has changed and that being on top last time doesn't make the next gen a dead cert.

They certainly don’t have the same apparent invulnerability they had back in 2006, when even a train wreck as spectacular as PS3 and a massively resurgent Nintendo only dragged them down to a near-tie with MS.

My previous guess was they would go £449/549.

What I think will happen: They will drop to £399/£499 so they are bracketing the Series X. Miles Morales and Demon’s Souls as the major launch games. No announcements on any services. 

What I’d like to happen: The presentation starts on a black screen. We hear the familiar beep as the PS button is pressed, and the system boots to the dashboard in less than 5 seconds. Whomever is playing (lets get Shu in for old times’ sake) mucks around for a little bit, then clicks on Miles Morales, which loads in 2 seconds to the title page. He presses continue, and is almost immediately swinging through Manhattan. He then demos quick resume to some other games (DS, GT7, and Probably Bugsnax). After that there’s some browsing of the PS Now tab which now includes all first-party PS4 games. Close with a mind-blowing All Access type deal for £25/30 a month which includes Now and Plus (which are now the same thing). £299/399 at retail, November 10th (for shits and giggles). 

27 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

What I think will happen: They will drop to £399/£499 so they are bracketing the Series X. Miles Morales and Demon’s Souls as the major launch games. No announcements on any services. 

What I’d like to happen: The presentation starts on a black screen. We hear the familiar beep as the PS button is pressed, and the system boots to the dashboard in less than 5 seconds. Whomever is playing (lets get Shu in for old times’ sake) mucks around for a little bit, then clicks on Miles Morales, which loads in 2 seconds to the title page. He presses continue, and is almost immediately swinging through Manhattan. He then demos quick resume to some other games (DS, GT7, and Probably Bugsnax). After that there’s some browsing of the PS Now tab which now includes all first-party PS4 games. Close with a mind-blowing All Access type deal for £25/30 a month which includes Now and Plus (which are now the same thing). £299/399 at retail, November 10th (for shits and giggles). 

Ignore this nonsense.  My last renewal for plus was about £40, which is £3.33 a month. Adding streaming of old games via Now for another £22/27 would put me right off. 

I'd be happy with the £299/399 bit though.

I reckon the disc version will match the Series X, and the discless version will be £379.

All we talk is SKUs and price points these days, I miss the days of crazy gifs.

3 minutes ago, cubik said:

My last renewal for plus was about £40, which is £3.33 a month. Adding streaming of old games (and the console hardware itself) via Now for another £22/27 would put me right off.

I'd be happy with the £299/399 bit though.

I reckon the disc version will match the Series X, and the discless version will be £379.

All we talk is SKUs and price points these days, I miss the days of crazy gifs.

19 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

It’d be funny, but they’ve not announced anything that even sounds like quick resume. Probably because they have a relatively small SSD for 4K.

44 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Ridge Racer would have to be a killer app. That's how thirsty some of us are for a proper arcade racing game.

dangerous driving, dangerous driving 2, hotshots racing, forza horizon 4.

sony don’t care about this genre.

15 minutes ago, Danster said:

Cubik can't read or is a bit dim

Apologies to @Gigawatt, I didn't realise the All Access deal was a way to buy the console from MS over 24 months. I thought they meant software only.

In that case, I totally agree it would be a no brainer for a lot of people.

1 minute ago, footle said:

It’d be funny, but they’ve not announced anything that even sounds like quick resume. Probably because they have a relatively small SSD for 4K.

The quick resume demo that MS did a few days ago was very impressive. Hopefully PS5 will have something similar, if it doesn't it'll feel dated from day one.

As for driving games, maybe they'll announce a 4K 120 FPS remastered version of the tutorial level from Driver.

A photo realistic underground car park with ray traced puddles. It looks nice but you can't get out of it.

Just now, footle said:

I love Forza Horizon 4, but I wouldn't call it an arcade racing game. But yeah, it's wishful thinking on my part and I'm looking forward to trying out Dangerous Driving 2, Hotshots Racing and Inertial Drift when I get the chance.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic