PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

16 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I don't think I've even seen a high end PC graphics card running any games @ 8k. Perhaps maybe in a couple of years we might?

The Nokia 3310 will do 8k when DLSS 3.0 comes out.

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Freeman said:

Now we are talking about a £1500-1600 machine that still can’t play Gran Turismo

It can play more Gran Turismo games than the Ps5 can ;)

image.thumb.png.eaf0967e9eec87fe690f91fc2d41ebd1.png

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It can play more Gran Turismo games than the Ps5 can ;)

image.thumb.png.eaf0967e9eec87fe690f91fc2d41ebd1.png

Sure, but then I can buy a PS2, 3 and 5, play all of the Gran Turismos and still have more than a 3080 costs in my pocket from the initial £1500-1600, and emulation is never quite right to me (in terms of how it runs rather than the legal stand point)

I've received an email from Simply Games this morning saying that they are expecting PS5 preorders to go live any day now so are providing the option of registering interest.  I don't know if the are just preemptively sniffing for business or if retailers have been briefed in advance of Sony announcing a date and price imminently.

15 minutes ago, jonamok said:

So, what are the rumours on the next official PS5 showing/Sony event? The thread title mocks me.

Honestly I think it will be people at home doing their own on launch day...this next gen launch on both sides is making the UK launch of the Saturn look professional :D

(Also I love the Saturn)

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

So, what are the rumours on the next official PS5 showing/Sony event? The thread title mocks me.

The first half of September, supposedly. One potential date would be the 9th, which'll be the 25th anniversary of the US launch of the original PlayStation.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Sony just wait for Microsoft announce the Series S, as they can't really talk about it without announcing pricing. Not that the asking price for a PS5 has much flex at this point – you could maybe see a game or subscription bundled last minute – but there's something to be said for not grabbing headlines by being the first to announce a high price.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

To those going for a pre-order (when they appear) where are you all intending to go for? 
Im likely just to use Amazon 

Amazon or Smyth's Toys. Smyth's click and collect is great. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Freeman said:

Sure, but then I can buy a PS2, 3 and 5, play all of the Gran Turismos and still have more than a 3080 costs in my pocket from the initial £1500-1600, and emulation is never quite right to me (in terms of how it runs rather than the legal stand point)

You'll need a PSP as well of course ;)

Fair though, just thought I'd make a point about BC.

1 hour ago, Ferine said:

The first half of September, supposedly. One potential date would be the 9th, which'll be the 25th anniversary of the US launch of the original PlayStation.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Sony just wait for Microsoft announce the Series S, as they can't really talk about it without announcing pricing. Not that the asking price for a PS5 has much flex at this point – you could maybe see a game or subscription bundled last minute – but there's something to be said for not grabbing headlines by being the first to announce a high price.

I reckon the absolute latest they'll launch it is 13th November, just because they won't want MS having the next-gen version of CoD as a de factor exclusive for even one day.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Freeman said:

Legally they’re all tax dodging cunts who would starve you to death if it put £5 in their pockets. Don’t ever feel bad about “stealing” from giant corporations, they’ve stolen a lot more from your wages.

• Upvote 7
On 03/09/2020 at 11:28, bear said:

Let's be realistic, neither of them are going to Nvidia. Sony have spoken about how they basically doubled the GPU on the PS4  Pro instead of something more elaborate so they wouldn't break compatibility with the existing PS4 and the PS5s chip looks like it's been designed with the same thing in mind.

Maybe Microsoft could switch to Intel at some point as they don't seem to give devs the same low level access to the processor as Sony allows so in theory it'd be easier for them to change. Considering that Intel's new graphics stuff is still largely unknown it's hard to see that happening anytime soon though. 

AMD is the only option because nobody else is willing to accept the paltry margins the console platform holders are willing to give or they don't have a competitive custom APU/SoC design business in the first place.

I personally think AMD have got the home console design business sewn up for a very long time. Nvidia aren't competitive in home console SoCs, ARM also weren't (they have both CPU and GPU design teams already) and Intel, even if they might be at some point in the distant future, will not choose to go into such a low margin business if they can help it, unless people want to pay the Surface division's prices for future Microsoft console hardware.

As an aside, it'll be interesting to see how Nintendo proceed in future, without an existing Nvidia mobile SoC to move to, and how Nvidia view that business.

8 hours ago, Ghosty said:

4k image quality rendered in 1080p. Interesting concept.

Death Stranding 4K DLSS looks a lot clearer than even native 4K while running at over twice the frame rate.

It's basically black magic.

• Empathy 1
3 hours ago, Fallows said:

Death Stranding 4K DLSS looks a lot clearer than even native 4K while running at over twice the frame rate.

It's basically black magic.

How is it enabled? 

13 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

How is it enabled? 

As long as you’ve got an rtx card, it should appear as an option in the menus I think,

It’s been a while some I booted it up!

They train a neural network to convert a 540p version of the game to 4K by showing it both versions over and over like in Clockwork Orange until it does it right. Then they send that brainwashed robot mind to people and (for that game) it can instantaneously upscale any frame while weeping silently.

Machine learning is the future.

• Upvote 3
Just now, Ghosty said:

How is it enabled? 

It's a per-game thing that developers have to integrate, although the 2.0 version should become more widespread as it uses similar hooks to common antialiasing techniques.

I imagine the PS5 was built with image reconstruction in mind; even the Pro was tweaked to better handle checkerbording. Not sure deep-learning will play any part in console techniques – it's an area nVidia's been invested in for ages – but I'm anticipating some impressive "faux K" results as the generation goes on.

9 minutes ago, APM said:

Who gives a shit about 4k, 8k, 1080p? Seriously, when did fucking gaming become about resolution? Y'all should be ashamed of yourself.

Because you can run the game internally at 540p or something with an absurdly high frame rate and lots of nice effects and still get an image that looks good on your 1080p/4K/whatever TV. DLSS is free graphics power.

• Upvote 3
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic