PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

3 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

You'll need a proper forensic examination to distinguish them in most cases I reckon

Good, what's the point of all this technology if I can't rail away in a half-informed, half-pulled-out-my-arse manner with links to pages and pages of numbers of pixels and compute units? It's not a console generation if I don't make a complete tit of myself arguing about technology.

I'll buy the refreshed version in a few years when they actually have a proper first party lineup. Ratchet and Clank isn't enough to make me want a console the size of my subwoofer (and neither is Horizon, to be honest). Next God of War, maybe.

I’d quite like one for Demon’s if that’s a launch game, but definitely not Ratchet. I’m sure there will be plenty of games and PS4 boost patches to entice people too though. Cyberpunk would be the one for me also. 

That Jim Ryan has already come out and said that TLOU2 runs really well on PS5 is enough reason for me to buy one at launch.

I've gone from: not at launch to, hmm maybe to yep, fuck it, why not!!?

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’d quite like one for Demon’s if that’s a launch game, but definitely not Ratchet. I’m sure there will be plenty of games and PS4 boost patches to entice people too though. Cyberpunk would be the one for me also. 

I'm here for the enhanced next-gen patches but I think the XSX is a safer bet in that regard, Sony will patch some of their games but you just know Microsoft are going to go all-out on that side of things. It won't be a weird boost mode either, it'll just work. I'm excited by the prospect of them potentially revisiting older games that were never patched by the devs and making them 4k, some early titles like Alien Isolation and Arkham Knight are crying out for it.

I think enough good stuff will come out long before a price drop that I may as well get one at launch, plus I never got a Pro or One X or even upgraded the PS4 HDD so in my head that's partly paying for it.

2 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I'm here for the enhanced next-gen patches but I think the XSX is a safer bet in that regard, Sony will patch some of their games but you just know Microsoft are going to go all-out on that side of things. It won't be a weird boost mode either, it'll just work. I'm excited by the prospect of them potentially revisiting older games that were never patched by the devs and making them 4k, some early titles like Alien Isolation and Arkham Knight are crying out for it.

Yeah MS are leading by a mile in that respect, hopefully Sony will pick up the pace there and by improving their PS Now subscription, I think they will have to if they expect to shift a digital only console aimed at the mass market. 

5 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

PS5 will likely have higher resolution texture maps and slightly less pop-in. You'll need a proper forensic examination to distinguish them in most cases I reckon. 

I fail to see why this would happen.

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

I think releasing LOU2 now is the best marketing you could give PS5 - basically saying, this is the reason you should buy a PlayStation. 

It's a PS4 game!

Someone’s probably already posted this, but there’s an extended R&C clip where you can see it snap between a low-quality placeholder world and the actual level each time the player goes through a portal in the multidimensional chase thing. So that’s probably live game footage, or if it’s a render they’re being very conservative about not overplaying what the SSD will do.

26 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

maybe I'm playing them wrong, but ratchet and clank games always seem shallow and repetitive as fuck. 

Ive tried them on the ps3 and 4. They are pretty, but soooo dull to play...

Yup.  But it'll get bought by a lot of people looking for a game to show off the PS5 features.

It's one of my favourite series. The formulae hasn't changed up that much since the PS2 era, but everything gets bigger and better and this looks like no exception. The weapons and zany worlds and enemies Insominiac create are just a joy to engage with. I'm really happy they stuck with the series.

Ratchet and Clank is the dictionary definition of a 7/10 franchise. I'm happy to play through them as they're quite enjoyable, but only at a budget price given they're all basically the same and never quite make the jump to excellence. 

Have Sony spoke much about PSVR on PS5?  I noticed they showed off a new camera at the presentation the other week. I wonder if that will potentially improve headset tracking? 

Would there be any potential to somehow use the extra PS5 power to improve visuals in PS4 VR games?  I know you’d obviously be limited by the headset display but wondered if the slight bump in gfx that you got from running VR on the Pro could be boosted by the increased capability of the PS5?

Also, I wonder if we could finally see something like Elite Dangerous/Alien Isolation become compatible?  Though I appreciate you’re getting into cross generation tangled webs there. 

56 minutes ago, geldra said:

Have Sony spoke much about PSVR on PS5?  I noticed they showed off a new camera at the presentation the other week. I wonder if that will potentially improve headset tracking? 

Would their be any potential to somehow use the extra PS5 power to improve visuals in PS4 VR games?  I know you’d obviously be limited by the headset display but wondered if the slight bump in gfx that you got from running VR on the Pro could be boosted by the increased capability of the PS5?

Also, I wonder if we could finally see something like Elite Dangerous/Alien Isolation become compatible?  Though I appreciate you’re getting into cross generation tangled webs there. 

They haven’t.

The underlying flaws with PSVR aren’t getting fixed till they move to inside out tracking and none move controllers.

But the headset resolution is fine - it’s just that the base PS4 can’t really make use of it. They should be able to bump resolution (and then super sampling on top of that resolution, which gives a huge perpetual benefit) right up. It’s just a question of whether they’ll go back and patch or not.

An interesting VR question is whether amongst all that console real estate they’ve stuck a USB-C with video out port (virtuallink) on the front to support PSVR 2...

The Dualsense’s lack of a PSVR tracking light makes me think they’ll have some sort of improved VR solution early on. Obviously a WiiU style bring-your-own-controller set up for back comparability with VR games is inevitable but it suggests that they’re not going to keep using the same set-up long term.

OTOH there’s still a stereo camera accessory.

Wonder if it’s possible (or at all likely) that they might patch PS4 VR games (similarly to Xbox’s bumped res and frame rates on 360 titles) to take advantage of PS5?  

Like, more than 1 car on track in GT Sport?  (Bit of a pie in the sky example given how quick Polyphony are and the probable wholesale rewrites of the game versus roi etc). 

22 hours ago, Stanley said:

I think releasing LOU2 now is the best marketing you could give PS5 - basically saying, this is the reason you should buy a PlayStation. 

I get the point you are making about Sony's first party strength but if you're a fan of Naughty Dogs output in particular are you going to go and buy a PS5 early on if you know that they probably won't ship a big PS5 game until 2023?

I suppose thats the downside of a studio putting so much effort into these lavishly produced games, the gap between titles gets longer and longer. 

8 minutes ago, bear said:

I get the point you are making about Sony's first party strength but if you're a fan of Naughty Dogs output in particular are you going to go and buy a PS5 early on if you know that they probably won't ship a big PS5 game until 2023?

I suppose thats the downside of a studio putting so much effort into these lavishly produced games, the gap between titles gets longer and longer. 

It’s a prestige piece and reminder of what Sony does best, so if you’re on the fence over which machine to go for, bearing in mind that at launch a lot of the titles will be cross generational & multi platform anyway, then it’s a strong reminder of what you’ll get content wise from them over the course of the consoles life span. 

I thought it was a fairly obvious point but I guess there’s no harm explaining it further for people who didn’t understand. 

We've technically had four Naughty Dog games this gen though and they are, supposedly, a two-at-a-time project studio:

1. The Last of Us Remastered - although not totally new it needed a lot of effort to get running right on PS4

2. Uncharted 4

3. Uncharted Lost Legacy - considering it was originally touted as DLC it was better than most games

4. The Last of Us Part II

So that's one every, roughly, two years. Not bad output so here's hoping that part of ND has been working on their first PS5 release and we won't have to wait too long.

@StanleyLike I said, I got the point you were making about Sony's overall output but was just thinking about when we could expect a new Naughty Dog, or Sucker Punch, game on PS5 and the realisation it could be 2023 or 2024 which still seem like crazy sci-fi future dates stuck out to me. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic