PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20. £360 digital, £450 full fat. Launch games £70?!?!

5 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

They’re both great, and I wouldn’t have them any other ways, but there’s certainly others! RDR2 for example. 

No I agree. Two of the best games I have ever played. Other peoples opinions differ though. Some say unfinished and flawed.

• Empathy 1
On 03/07/2020 at 09:36, Alex W. said:

We just don’t need “real” games to be these Avatar-esque jackpot-or-bankruptcy monstrosities. There are so many games that would be far better if there was about one sixth as much stuff on them, and so many leaner, smaller games that deserve to be pushed in to the spotlight by platform holders and publishers. If Parasite can be a more important movie than Godzilla King of the Monsters why can’t Telling Lies be a tentpole game release?

For every occasional Parasite success story, you have the corpses of untold numbers of other lower budget films, which is no different than a platform holder pushing some indie game which hits the commercial jackpot once in a while so this arguably already happens. The real money is never going to be put on these indie games or films, they'll just roll the dice and one of them will breakout once in a while. The rest of the money will be spunked on mega budget productions as that is what the majority of the market has been proven to respond to, year after year.

• Upvote 1

Parasite’s not a low budget movie though. It’s just not a Blockbuster Summer Movie Event, which seems to be the only type of game that gets the time of day as a major event. The bread and butter of the Oscars is movies like Parasite but gaming’s equivalent are all Marvel movies.

This game contains mature content recommended only for ages 18+

If I recall it's the game with the woman in space talking to the ships computer most of the time while trying not to die from heat/cold/suffocation/alien object. Probably not one for little kids.

13 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I miss when Ken Kuturagi was in charge and we could count on Sony really shitting the bed in some inventive way. Like on the PS3, not only were developers expected to make games using only the Cell (no GPU) until Naughty Dog showed it was impossible shortly before the planned launch date, but Ken Kuturagi decided late in the chip’s development that it needed 8 cores, not 6, completely obliterating IBM’s ability to turn a profit manufacturing it. And so IBM used literally every bit of contractually permissible thing they had learned in also developing an Xbox 360 CPU for Microsoft, to salvage the situation. 

Just outstanding bullshit. Whatever happens with the PS5 it will sadly be too similar to the Xbox Series X to really screw things up.

Is there a good book on the above?  

Got a few good ones on the Nintendo shitting the bed era.

I see the govt are considering giving everyone a £500 voucher to spend in leisure and face to face retail. 

hmmm . . . - trip to local indie game shop  to buy a PS5 courtesy of the Tories?

27 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is that true? 

it’s an idea by a think tank. I can’t think of anything more likely to make the likes of a PS5 cost £900.

• Upvote 2

I think the headline is doing a lot of stretching.

Radical plans to give all adults £500 and children £250 in vouchers to spend in sectors of the economy worst hit by the Covid-19 crisis are being considered by the Treasury.

The proposals, drawn up by the Resolution Foundation think tank, which has had recent talks with the Treasury about its ideas

There's no suggestion Sunak has an opinion on it at all.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

The Tories giving us free money. :lol:

To be fair, they’ve given a lot of people free money: but generally not targeted at the likes of propping up Game.

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

To spend in pubs, cinemas, restaurants etc.. There's no way it'll be spendable anywhere but Covid deathtraps.

500 vouchers for £1 off a pint of Carling, Foster’s or a selected Real Ale at Wetherspoons.

• Upvote 2

Am I losing it or does this thread have a bunch of posts from other threads in it all of a sudden? I made a post about Observation in the Game Pass thread, yet now I'm seeing it here. Now I'm seeing a load of posts about Tories and Covid-19.

• Upvote 3
25 minutes ago, Pob said:

Am I losing it or does this thread have a bunch of posts from other threads in it all of a sudden? I made a post about Observation in the Game Pass thread, yet now I'm seeing it here. Now I'm seeing a load of posts about Tories and Covid-19.

I don’t really understand the observation posts; someone seems to be posting about think tank fantasy £500 Voucher schemes in lots of threads.

(haven’t checked the apple one, or the HDTV one)

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

As if that scheme will ever happen under the Tories. 

To be fair, you'd have said the same about the furlough scheme too.  It's amazing what the tories will do when they panic.

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

To be fair, you'd have said the same about the furlough scheme too.  It's amazing what the tories will do when they panic.

They had no choice there - pay people or trigger complete social & economic collapse, with this it’s like, let people buy iPhones, or don’t. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Showcase Wednesday, September 16 at 9pm
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic