rllmuk

PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20. £360 digital, £450 full fat. Launch games £70?!?!

I know it's not happening and that's my point. If I could transfer my games over I might be tempted by the digital while my PS4 still has a bit of value.

9 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I guess there's more USB ports on the back; only one on the front will be a bit annoy9ng for fighting games. Assuming pals will be allowed to come over before PS6 is out.

Aye, they seem to be thinking we'll all be using the C for new controllers and regular for legacy ones, when it's far more likely to be two of a kind. But then the SX only has one port on the front, so that needs an extension for convenience as well.

8 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I wonder what the price is!

1.5 jobs.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

I went to bed feeling a bit meh about this and on reflection I’m not buying this for at least 2-3 years into its cycle like I did with my PS4. 

Sat under my tv I’ve got a PS4 and a new to me wii u. I have un completed Spider-Man, HZD, BOTW, death stranding, yakuza 0, Kiwami, sotc, doom, Titanfall 2, stacks of amazing driving games. Heck the even game me the uncharted collection and UC4 is the only game I’ve completed for years. 

maybe I’m just too old. Maybe I’m not the target market. It all looks the same. It all looks like what has gone before. There’s no buzz for me just never shinier versions of what I’ve seen countless times. Nothing original. Nothing I would want to buy this for. Nothing that made me feel the way I felt when I saw the PlayStation and the amazing th in ha coming out of Japan from namco. Nothing like seeing Nintendo’s best newness.  

Maybe it’s the internet and the format. These days it’s just here’s a bunch of videos playing trailers and a person talking with some or spiel and I don’t think doing it in a big venue with cheering whooping clapping men is any better either. 

maybe I’m more jaded and the younger me pre YouTube and live conferences who poured over magazine news each month on the latest news from the far east and the amazing developments in the 90s and early 2000s. 

The marketing formula they have works I guess with ready made free additional advertising form the reaction videos and commentary provided to keep the masses talking about what is really pretty dull. 

Finally I guess the way it looks is the most interesting thing about the whole reveal. When all the games look the same as what we have seen over the past 5-8 years at least the aesthetics has people talking. 

You saved me having to write this exact thing. I utterly agree. 

I started to think I’m just a jaded old gamer and my passion was gone but maybe I’m not because if Nintendo showed me a 20 second trailer for pikmin 4 or mario galaxy 3 I’d be giddy as hell!

i just thought the games looked utterly bland and declaring it to be the biggest generational leap didn’t really mask the fact that most of the games looked like bad PS4 games.

• Upvote 6

The only point that I got excited was when I saw astrobot but then realised it wasn’t VR and so that made it completely pointless to me. 

astrobot and wipeout in VR on PS4 were the most thrilling and fun gaming experiences I’ve had since playing Mario 64 and ridge racer for the first time

• Empathy 1

I'm with @Bangaio & @beakbeak too

Nothing here looks 'wrong' or 'bad', it's me that's moved on and this will be the first generation of Playstation and Xbox that I sit out at launch. It's simply a matter of none of the games appealing to me anymore, and I'm not sure they can do much about that as their core audience want games I have no interest in now as an old git just past 50.

I know the only thing I'd get value from and actually use now would be new Nintendo hardware, and that's cos it means new Nintendo games, which I still love. 

I'll continue to watch with interest as would love to see something that gave me an excuse to buy one, but at present just can't see it. 

13 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I'm with @Bangaio & @beakbeak too

Nothing here looks 'wrong' or 'bad', it's me that's moved on and this will be the first generation of Playstation and Xbox that I sit out at launch. It's simply a matter of none of the games appealing to me anymore, and I'm not sure they can do much about that as their core audience want games I have no interest in now as an old git just past 50.

I know the only thing I'd get value from and actually use now would be new Nintendo hardware, and that's cos it means new Nintendo games, which I still love. 

I'll continue to watch with interest as would love to see something that gave me an excuse to buy one, but at present just can't see it. 

I’m with you and it’s ironic because I sat through that thinking the whole thing looked like it was aimed at kids and yet Nintendo is all I play these days. 

Which brings me to the real problem, Astro Bot isn’t Mario, Horizon isn’t Zelda, and so on. And Ratchet & Clank was always staid and boring. 

But it has Demon’s Souls so not all is lost, but it should really have been Demon’s Souls II, considering all the shite remasters we’ve suffered this gen it’s unforgivable they didn’t give us Demon's on PS4 and now expect us to buy a new console for it. 

• Upvote 2
58 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

I thought it was a pretty clever thing to highlight. Promotes the backwards compatibility a bit better.

But it's not a backwards compatible version is it! It's a separate game entirely.

• Upvote 2

I bought a PS4 a few weeks back so I've got a major back catalogue to work through for a while (no Ridge though WTF) so I'm going to hold off next gen for a while butI know it sounds daft but the design of the thing is making me edge towards the XSX or whatever it'll be called, and like someone else said I'll wait for the slim version later down the line.

Cat game looked good though.

That was a good showing from Sony. None of it apart from Demons Souls and Resident Evil got me particularly excited but they’ve covered a lot of bases so that’s exactly what they needed to do. The console being white & black is probably a major no from me as it’ll really make a mess of my living room aesthetic.

1 hour ago, Super Craig said:

I thought it was a pretty clever thing to highlight. Promotes the backwards compatibility a bit better.

its not a BC title.  It’s a remaster style thing like the PS4 game was to its ps3 version. 

Cant believe people will not buy a console because of how it looks.

I don't think I have paid any attention to a single console I have owned for more than a few days after buying it. It just a box.. its all about the games!

(+ I really like it.)

• Upvote 7

Recap for me, I thought it was a good presentation.

Firstly the hardware I love the new design, I am bored of black boxes.

Lots of games shown, I would have liked some more gameplay but Ratchet & GT7 looked great. No surprise in sequels for HZD & Spiderman, not for me but Resi8 & Demon's Soul were good announcements. Sackboy, Hitman 3 & Deathloop!

Just give me a pre-order price Sony! I am guessing £349 for Digital & £449 for Physical Media version.

• Upvote 7

I think I'm guessing that the digital-only version exists so the price can just start with a 3. So I think I'm guessing it'll be £399 for that one, and whatever a UHD drive costs on top for the disc one. £449, £499? Maybe take a loss on the cheap one and not on the disc one? Also, I had not realised how fucking massive it is.

Apart from a couple of gifts I’ve only bought one physical game this gen, Bloodborne. Which I then repurchased digitally as I lost it. 

So I guess all digital version for me. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think I'm guessing that the digital-only version exists so the price can just start with a 3. So I think I'm guessing it'll be £399 for that one, and whatever a UHD drive costs on top for the disc one. £449, £499? Maybe take a loss on the cheap one and not on the disc one? Also, I had not realised how fucking massive it is.

I'm guessing £400 at the lowest and £500 at the highest for all of them. Maybe £400 for the digital PS5, £500 for the standard, and something like £480 for the SX.

Outside chance of £530 for the PS5 and £500 for the SX.

22 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

I'm very excited by Oddworld: Soulstorm!

I love me some Abe, but I'm not sure about this. The original games were dark comedies, but this has gone for all of the dark and less of the comedy. The Lemmings-like Mudokons  you control look oddly rendered, too, like they're running at a slower FPS than everything else. Love the backdrops, though.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Every generation needs a wow moment

Yes, but I think these wow moments should no longer be limited to graphics. There's been a similar discussion recently about AI development. Why not showcasing a game with superb new AI? That could be a new "wow moment" for the new generation. Instead it's always just graphics graphics graphics.

28 minutes ago, Escaped said:

I'm guessing £400 at the lowest and £500 at the highest for all of them. Maybe £400 for the digital PS5, £500 for the standard, and something like £480 for the SX.

Outside chance of £530 for the PS5 and £500 for the SX.

It'll be interesting to see if either break £500. The X1 launched at £430 and we've had years of inflation, and our currency devalued by brexit. I think it's a near certainty that the "purchasing power" of  £500 in 2020 will work out less than £430. 

Microsoft at least have been talking up their system in a way that I thought was partially about preparing people for a price hike.  Now that people are saying that the ps5 may be the more expensive of the two,  I think your upper estimate might be most likely. The lower estimate would require them to get the systems out for significantly less (in relative terms) than last time around. 

I assume the £600 amazon "leak" could  be a nice way of preparing people - the perception being that it's not £600, it's only £500.

It'll be interesting to see how much they value a disc drive at - surely the difference is to be calculated based on buying discounted discs versus the increased profit of digital sales, not the value of the hardware itself. As such,  the digital version has the potential to make more profit than one with a disc drive so they could be quite aggressive with the pricing to get people locked into their storefront. 

• Upvote 2

As long as game sharing continues I’ll probably plump for the discless version. The premium I pay for digital downloads is tempered somewhat by the fact that I only buy every other purchase. TLOU2 and Cyberpunk have cost me £50 in total. Yes, you can resell disc versions to lessen the cost but I only tend to buy day one releases if I’m pretty certain I’ll keep it. Digital sales are pretty decent too. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

As long as game sharing continues I’ll probably plump for the discless version. The premium I pay for digital downloads is tempered somewhat by the fact that I only buy every other purchase. TLOU2 and Cyberpunk have cost me £50 in total. Yes, you can resell disc versions to lessen the cost but I only tend to buy day one releases if I’m pretty certain I’ll keep it. Digital sales are pretty decent too. 

Same for me, plus the digital console looks WAY better.

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

It'll be interesting to see how much they value a disc drive at - surely the difference is to be calculated based on buying discounted discs versus the increased profit of digital sales, not the value of the hardware itself.

We know it'll be $50 because it was with the All-Digital Xbox One, there's loads of people who always come out with daft stuff like this claiming the true value is actually $200 or something and it's all BS.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Showcase Wednesday, September 16 at 9pm
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic