PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20. £360 digital, £450 full fat. Launch games £70?!?!

12 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Hmmm...I remember this

96BF0401-EBEA-4733-8097-053F24F89248.jpeg

Not convinced the white clear button thing will be the final production design at all.

That always brought images into my head of the Konix Multi System.

29 minutes ago, Clipper said:

what is the best pad ever made now? Andt he one before that one?

The Dualshock 4 in my opinion, I've always liked the dualshock, but the 4 was the most comfortable, I prefer symmetrical analog sticks always have.

19 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

The best pad ever made is gooner4life’s notepad where he writes down imagined amounts of teraflops.

It was just a prediction? is this actually a thing? does nobody write anything down?

16 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

The Dualshock 4 in my opinion, I've always liked the dualshock, but the 4 was the most comfortable, I prefer symmetrical analog sticks always have.

I think they lost their way with the ps3 pad and the 360 pad was vastly superior - the sticks on dualshock were always a bit too close for my liking and it felt too small in general... prior to 360 pad it was the GC or ds2 probably leaning towards the GC but prior to that playstation pad easily the best for me.

Currently I can play with Xbox One or ds4 pads there isn't much between them, both great pads and can't think of many improvements I'd make to either.

The new pad looks fine but will wait til i have it in hand obviously :)  I'm not sure why they are changing it... the pads work great now

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The PS CEO man recently said that PS5 launch for “holiday 2020” is still the plan, so it’s only 7 months away! 

It will be interesting to see when it does get released. It might get a limited release this year to drive the hype machine - considering China's capacity to manufacture at the moment has been significantly hampered.

Personally it might drive demand having a limited number of devices out there - worked quite well for MS with its 360. Hot piece of kit back in winter 2005 because of limited availabilty.

However not sure what games will be like on it... it will probably need some big title to launch with it but it will surely have to be something significantly new to demonstrate a reason to buy it? Personally like to see Sony do some more work on their VR offering and enhance the res and reduce the amount of wires etc to play.

I was half expecting two versions of the PS this time... one to compete with Oculus Rift Quest - a stand alone PSVR that could also dock to a standard PS console if needed. Not sure just something a bit more radical than another box. With another version of a pad. Just need something new to draw me back in personally don't want another console with just better specs. Its almost like getting a new phone these days. Same form factor but just has a better camera and more memory , speed etc.

VR for me has been the radical new thing over the past 5 years. So happy with that though.... A streamlined version of this that doesn't need a box and lots of wires with some Sony content on there would be great. Imagine something like Gran Turismo on VR that is powerful enough to play in real time races? That would be awesome... as would many other games without all the wires etc. Suppose cost would be the thing though and risk.... Anyway back to my PC and my Oculus S for now.... 

38 minutes ago, Clipper said:

The new pad looks fine but will wait til i have it in hand obviously :)  I'm not sure why they are changing it... the pads work great now

It looks like they’ve gone for better ergonomics. It’s hard to tell from just looking at it, but it should be more comfortable to hold. A nice evolution from the DS4, with nods to the boomerang aesthetic.

I still prefer offset sticks though.

Just now, JPL said:

I still prefer offset sticks though.

Me too. Favourite controller is still the Xbox One. PS pads always give me cramp in my thumb. 

• Upvote 1

What I don't like about modern controllers is the location of the two shoulder buttons on each side.

I was playing a bit of Dirt 2.0 last night, via PS Plus, and noted where my fingers were placed once I grabbed the controller:

My index fingers naturally sat on the analogue triggers.

My middle fingers were lower down in the grip,  approximately halfway down.

Now, why don't the controller designers scrap the very top shoulder button, and instead place it where the middle finger sits? It would certainly reduce the need for finger gymnastics. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
16 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Personally it might drive demand having a limited number of devices out there - worked quite well for MS with its 360. Hot piece of kit back in winter 2005 because of limited availabilty.

Oh definitely hot <_<:D

52 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I'm hoping they've refined the 'handles' of the new controller so they're a little more comfortable for me. I find the DS4 causes hand cramp and so I use an Xbox pad with a wireless Brook adapter. If Sony can tweak the design to make the handles that bit more ergonomic for me, I'll be pleased as I prefer the feel of the face and shoulder buttons on the DS4 to the Xbox pad.

14 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

What I don't like about modern controllers is the location of the two shoulder buttons on each side.

I was playing a bit of Dirt 2.0 last night, via PS Plus, and noted where my fingers were placed once I grabbed the controller:

Now, why don't the controller designers scrap the very top shoulder button, and instead place it where the middle finger sits? It would certainly reduce the need for finger gymnastics. 

Suppose that is the issue controller designers have to deal with everyone has slightly different preferences and making a  "one size fits all" is extremely difficult with a standard controller!

Personally think there are too many buttons on controllers full stop! Part of the reason I love VR stuff because a lot of limitations/complexities on games these days comes from how you interact with a 3D game on a flat 2D plane.... Not saying VR is the be all and end all of gaming but it feels much more of an intuitive way to interact with a game world. Driving games for example are just a joy to experience in VR. No more pressing a button to look around to get where you are on the track when racing etc etc....

5 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Oh definitely hot <_<:D

Oh yes... :D Built and outside gaming room when my youngest was born and it used to keep it warm... :D 

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Suppose that is the issue controller designers have to deal with everyone has slightly different preferences and making a  "one size fits all" is extremely difficult with a standard controller!

Personally think there are too many buttons on controllers full stop! Part of the reason I love VR stuff because a lot of limitations/complexities on games these days comes from how you interact with a 3D game on a flat 2D plane.... Not saying VR is the be all and end all of gaming but it feels much more of an intuitive way to interact with a game world. Driving games for example are just a joy to experience in VR. No more pressing a button to look around to get where you are on the track when racing etc etc....

Yes if there are back buttons I want them to be optional as I can only just aobut cope with the buttons I do have :D

:blah:

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

I think they lost their way with the ps3 pad and the 360 pad was vastly superior - the sticks on dualshock were always a bit too close for my liking and it felt too small in general... prior to 360 pad it was the GC or ds2 probably leaning towards the GC but prior to that playstation pad easily the best for me.

Currently I can play with Xbox One or ds4 pads there isn't much between them, both great pads and can't think of many improvements I'd make to either.

I agree the Dualshock 3 was the worst of all PlayStation pads so far, the domed sticks were pretty nasty and the sloped triggers were pretty useless.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Yes if there are back buttons I want them to be optional as I can only just aobut cope with the buttons I do have :D

:blah:

I know people derided the Wii a lot when released. But I loved the control mechanism that Nintendo came up with. Games were no less complex because of it just removed the barrier to entry or made for a more natural gaming interface. I think the main issue was the technology wasn't mature enough to track actions/movements accurately enough at times.

Anyhow it is what it is and Sony/MS will be appealing to a certain crowd with their conventional pad designs however still think its a wasted opportunity to try something new with consoles. Real shame Sony didn't make a standalone PSVR as I mentioned earlier. Maybe its on the cards but its too early for people to accept it on the market at the moment in terms of costs and accessibility etc.... Think its part of the reason neither of the upcoming consoles are of interest to me. Nothing really new here? Just evolutionary again. I'll skip this upcoming gen completely I think and stick with the PC VR etc as for me this is giving me generally new experiences in how I play and have experiences. I can always go old school and upgrade my PC to play the more conventional games that get released on PS5/Xbox.

Anyway back on topic... Expected safe design from Sony. Looks like it will do the job well enough. 

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I agree, games need to be smarter about the control interface, rather than relying on more buttons. Stuff like Ocarina of Time was pioneering in using contextual buttons. Further advances are required. Simpler is better. 

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I know people derided the Wii a lot when released. But I loved the control mechanism that Nintendo came up with. Games were no less complex because of it just removed the barrier to entry or made for a more natural gaming interface. I think the main issue was the technology wasn't mature enough to track actions/movements accurately enough at times.

Anyhow it is what it is and Sony/MS will be appealing to a certain crowd with their conventional pad designs however still think its a wasted opportunity to try something new with consoles. Real shame Sony didn't make a standalone PSVR as I mentioned earlier. Maybe its on the cards but its too early for people to accept it on the market at the moment in terms of costs and accessibility etc.... Think its part of the reason neither of the upcoming consoles are of interest to me. Nothing really new here? Just evolutionary again. I'll skip this upcoming gen completely I think and stick with the PC VR etc as for me this is giving me generally new experiences in how I play and have experiences. I can always go old school and upgrade my PC to play the more conventional games that get released on PS5/Xbox.

Anyway back on topic... Expected safe design from Sony. Looks like it will do the job well enough. 

VR has been a revelation to me - it has been the platform of choice for me this gen whether it be PSVR or Quest. The arcadey short experience style suits me down to the ground and I play more on VR than console in last year, purely because I dont have time for longer games and big epics. Ironically I do have right now :D.

But I can see VR doesn't appeal to the majority so we have to grab what we get... so I hope for an updated PSVR but not expecting it to be honest. I think there is room for VR in the marketplace but it might be a Quest style thing instead of being an addon. Sony might gamble on it but Im not sure, a PS5 powered VR would be a beast so fingers crossed.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

image.jpeg.082d43386df5606f6a34361fcff896bb.jpeg

You're implying that a controller composed of multiple shoulder buttons should... be used simultaneously?

I don’t think brain can find a way. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

image.jpeg.082d43386df5606f6a34361fcff896bb.jpeg

You're implying that a controller composed of multiple shoulder buttons should... be used simultaneously?

I don’t think brain can find a way. 

You say that but MGS2-MGS4 insisted that you use at least three fingers at once to do things. Someone out there clearly thinks you’re meant to use them all at once.

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Real shame Sony didn't make a standalone PSVR as I mentioned earlier. Maybe its on the cards but its too early for people to accept it on the market at the moment in terms of costs and accessibility etc....

It's the same reason the Oculus Quest or any other of these mobile phone-based devices doesn't play high-end VR games, the technology does not exist to power that high-fidelity an experience in a standalone HMD.

The best you can do with current technology is a PS5-sized device with a laggier more expensive wireless HMD if you want high-fidelity VR experiences.

3 hours ago, Clipper said:

The design themes for the PS5 seem to be to remove barriers for development and to enhance immersion. The push for advanced 3D audio and the fancier functionality controller are part of that.

16 hours ago, grindmouse said:

The banana-pad was such a weird design. Super wide and 70% wasteful plastic. What hands was it designed for?

image.thumb.png.fe70aea6e98c0f140f8bb782cd637f60.png

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/04/could_astro_bot_be_an_early_ps5_star

Astrobot a launch title for ps5 maybe?

tldr:

Astrobot Team already working on tech demos for ps5 so well placed to demonstrate the new controller tech that we know about. 

Controller branding fits Astrobot aesthetic

Sony likes to release at least one family Game at launch

I hope not, I would rather the Astrobot games remain VR only. The reason the original was so good was that it was built from the ground up with VR in mind. If they did a regular non vr version it would lose a lot of what made the first one so special

• Upvote 1

Talking of VR, what are Sony’s plans with PSVR2? Have they said when we can expect it yet?

I’m weighing up whether I should get a Quest in the meantime.

• Empathy 1
10 minutes ago, JPL said:

Talking of VR, what are Sony’s plans with PSVR2? Have they said when we can expect it yet?

I’m weighing up whether I should get a Quest in the meantime.

They've said nothing.

They've said nothing about PSVR2 at all. The current PSVR will work as-is on PS5 with the back compatibility for PS4 that's in place, but they've got no launch plans for a PS5 VR setup. No surprise there, that'll wait if/until there's enough PS5 install base to make VR viable.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Showcase Wednesday, September 16 at 9pm
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic