rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - 9pm BST 4th June - Games Event

Better and more stable framerates? More detailed game worlds? Superior physics simulations? More NPC characters (the first AC game of this gen had woeful performance as Ubisoft overestimated what CPU performance would be available to them with the XB outperforming the PS4 in parts due to its slightly faster CPU)? Just imagine swinging through a massively populated New York as Spiderman. I'm sure talented developers would have put it to good use.

AMD's Jaguar architecture was never good, but it was all AMD could integrate into a SoC as Bulldozer was bad. Intel and ARM had much better designs at the time, but AMD offered a complete package at cost at a time when we were not even sure that another generation of consoles would really sell. Luckily for us all. Today AMD has a superb CPU architecture in the shape of Ryzen which will offer a huge jump in CPU ability.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Better and more stable framerates? More detailed game worlds? Superior physics simulations? More NPC characters (the first AC game of this gen had woeful performance as Ubisoft overestimated what CPU performance would be available to them with the XB outperforming the PS4 in parts due to its slightly faster CPU)? Just imagine swinging through a massively populated New York as Spiderman. I'm sure talented developers would have put it to good use.

AMD's Jaguar architecture was never good, but it was all AMD could integrate into a SoC as Bulldozer was bad. Intel and ARM had much better designs at the time, but AMD offered a complete package at cost at a time when we were not even sure that another generation of consoles would really sell. Luckily for us all. Today AMD has a superb CPU architecture in the shape of Ryzen which will offer a huge jump in CPU ability.

To take your second point first ; AMD offered a complete package at a cost .. 

Well precisely . There was a BOM cost that had to be met . Increasing the CPU cost means increasing your wholesale cost by that additional cost plus , the various overheads (in electronics manufacturing most of the additional costs , manufacturing overhead , profit et all are derived from the BOM as a percentage) . Profit in this instance being profit for the manufacturer ( the company that actually assembled the units) . Any increase hits Sony’s bottom line, assuming a fixed sale price . 

With regards to your first point , they are all things that are unquantifiable . At no point did I feel in Spider-Man that the city wasn’t utterly believable as a environment , it is bustling and full of life . God of war is held up as one of the generations best looking games ( along with horizon and DS) . I don’t miss what I don’t have in most games ; I’m playing the game and enjoying it , not thinking “man, this could have been much better with a better CPU”
Sure , 60fps at the same LOD would be lovely , but we are talking about a machine from 2012 .
I agree that the CPU was/is seen as a weak point for the system. But that doesn’t mean it was the wrong choice ; it was a choice that had to be made . And given the quality of games we have got from PS4 I would say It did the job . 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Both next gen consoles will include them because downloading 200GB+ for a 4K game just isn't feasible. Much easier to install the core game off the disc then add a 30GB patch. 

At no point have I said they wouldn’t have them, but the sales figures don’t lie, it’s a dying format as an entertainment platform.... in fact all physical media is.The world is moving towards an all digital future, whether we like it or not. I treasure my physical library of retro carts from the Atari VCS onwards, but I haven’t bought a single physical game this gen for either PS4, X1 or Switch. 

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see how big a file size the next crop of games will be for the new consoles. Especially 8K.

(Wouldn't it be easier for game files to be compressed (zip) and then have the console unpacked it?)

Maybe a silly question, but with modern filetype optimisations (which to be fair I'm just assuming exists), does zipping things carry much advantage these days?

17 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

It will be interesting to see how big a file size the next crop of games will be for the new consoles. Especially 8K.

(Wouldn't it be easier for game files to be compressed (zip) and then have the console unpacked it?)

8K is just marketing fluff - no games will actually be released to 8k barring some small indie games. Current graphics cards struggle with 4k as it is, let alone double that.

• Upvote 2

Imagine something like Geometry Wars in 8K with HDR on a huge top end display though :o

I assumed the 8k capability would refer to video output for films and TV rather than a rendering resolution for games.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

I assumed the 8k capability would refer to video output for films and TV rather than a rendering resolution for games.

You'd hope as much but then I was pretty dismayed at how quickly both manufacturers seemed to race to be the de rigueur home of 4K disregarding any hope of 1080 / 60fps as a minimum standard.

I expect this will be the same story with hitting the higher resolution being a priority over stable and consistent high performance. The higher framerate is unimportant to many people though so I guess it's fair enough.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure people will be buying 8K TVs so quickly, so 8K games seems like a wasted effort. 4K with better framerate or whatever seems more sensible.

34 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Everything that's been said about 8K on these consoles lines up with the spec for HDMI 2.1. They'll technically be capable of 4K 120fps output and the like but that's down to the version of HDMI they'll be using. 

Personally I'm looking forward to Freesync (or whatever the official name for variable refresh rate is now) becoming a standard feature on TVs over the next 12 months. It's great on the One X but not enough TVs support it yet. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

This is effectively what happens already.

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure people will be buying 8K TVs so quickly, so 8K games seems like a wasted effort. 4K with better framerate or whatever seems more sensible.

The PS5 will probably be Sony's last console endeavour. So 8k support seems sensible.

23 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Imagine something like Geometry Wars in 8K with HDR on a huge top end display though :o

It would be essentially indistinguishable from the same game at 4K. Even standing a few inches from the screen you'd struggle to differentiate the two. Resolution suffers badly from diminishing returns at this level - I can't see most devs worrying about 8K next gen, with ray tracing I reckon you'll see several games come in well under 4K but look amazing.

1 minute ago, Ghosty said:

The PS5 will probably be Sony's last console endeavour.

Eh?

Just now, Ghosty said:

The PS5 will probably be Sony's last console endeavour. So 8k support seems sensible.

Why do you think this will be Sonys last console and how are these two sentiments related?

30 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

It would be essentially indistinguishable from the same game at 4K. Even standing a few inches from the screen you'd struggle to differentiate the two. Resolution suffers badly from diminishing returns at this level - I can't see most devs worrying about 8K next gen, with ray tracing I reckon you'll see several games come in well under 4K but look amazing.

I’d love to see stuff at 1080 30fps but with all the graphical bells and whistles just to see what is possible. 

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’d love to see stuff at 1080 30fps but with all the graphical bells and whistles just to see what is possible. 

You can already. Super sampling is added to most 1080p games on the Pro.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Super sampling isn’t all the graphical bells and whistles! I presume he’s talking about ramping up particle systems, fancier lighting, that kind of thing.

9 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I meant in terms of draw distance, lighting, graphical effects, shadows, ray tracing, foliage and NPC density etc - basically a completely maxed out simulation at an acceptable 1080/30 on next gen. 

49 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Even standing a few inches from the screen you'd struggle to differentiate the two.

Is this true? I remember when people were saying you needed to be a few inches from the screen to differentiate between 1080 and 4K. I sit over 5m away and I can easily see the difference!

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I meant in terms of draw distance, lighting, graphical effects, shadows, ray tracing, foliage and NPC density etc - basically a completely maxed out simulation at an acceptable 1080/30 on next gen. 

30fps? I would be shocked if every game wasn't 60 as a bare minimum.

Ray tracing is more of a Nvidia thing? Does AMD have support for it?

2 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

30fps? I would be shocked if every game wasn't 60 as a bare minimum.

Ray tracing is more of a Nvidia thing? Does AMD have support for it?

I would prefer 60 too for the most part but I’d like to see what the machines are capable of at 30fps, especially in games where it’s not as important, adventure, RPG, walking simulators etc. I’m imagining something like Everyone’s Gone To The Rapture. 

I think they’ve both announced their next generation consoles will have ray tracing.

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I would prefer 60 too for the most part but I’d like to see what the machines are capable of at 30fps, especially in games where it’s not as important, adventure, RPG, walking simulators etc. I’m imagining something like Everyone’s Gone To The Rapture. 

I think they’ve both announced their next generation consoles will have ray tracing.

I don't know much about ray tracing to be honest. I know it can make older games look newer. Better lighting and effects, etc. Quake 2 is a good example of this.

1 minute ago, Ghosty said:

I don't know much about ray tracing to be honest. I know it can make older games look newer. Better lighting and effects, etc. 

Yes I think that’s basically what it is - more realistic lighting, shadows and reflections. 

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yes I think that’s basically what it is - more realistic lighting, shadows and reflections. 

I can see 'PS5 remastered' being a thing.

41 minutes ago, JPL said:

Is this true? I remember when people were saying you needed to be a few inches from the screen to differentiate between 1080 and 4K. I sit over 5m away and I can easily see the difference!

No you can't.