rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - 9pm BST 4th June - Games Event

6 hours ago, probotector said:

AMD aren’t going to give them wildly different products just like last time.

PS4P and XBOXX showed to me that MS have little strategic insight into gaming. Their main strategy has always been throw everything at the kitchen sink, fuck the costs.

Sony on the other hand have always taken a Nintendo like approach.

The PS5 will not only be the superior machine but it will have enough hardware innovation to make devs and tech types swoon, just like the PS4.

It will also make Sony money and will scalable over time. 

M$ have no chance against a fully operational, motivated and well led Sony. Corby has the finger on the pulse, I’m not sure who Microsoft have that is on his level.

Sony's approach to hardware is nothing like Nintendo's. Not sure what you're trying to say.  Nintendo spent 3 generations recycling the Gamecube before using a 2yr old, off the shelf mobile chip for Switch.  Sony spent two generations with PS2&3 providing CPUs that required developers to waste time doing all the heavy lifting.   They screwed up the PS3 GPU development so badly they had to call in Nvidia at the 11th hour.   Market share has always ensured that developers have put resources into utilising the escotetic hardware.

Sony lucked out 'winning' the powah war for this generation of PC like consoles.  MS targeted 8GB and made efficient design decision to get there.  Sony got to brute force 8GB fairly late in the day due to GDDR5 design/pricing improvements.  They were originally targeting 4GB.   

Given how badly MS screwed up the One's launch, pretty sure that Sony could have won this generation with a potato. 

For PS5 vs XboxSX, is wide and slow more elegant than slim and fast?  Who will win the euphemism wars?  I need to know!

• Upvote 1

Sorry, should have said 90s Nintendo.

Nintendo used to take a high tech but cost centric approach to their hardware. They would go for the very best but they would make sure they could over time reduce their costs and make a profit on hardware.

The one time Sony diverged from that approach was when they got beat, the PS3z

MS on the other hand were always Reckless. I doubt they even take profitability into account when they make their consoles. 

Microsoft have come 3rd in every single Generation. I don’t even understand how xbots can even take part in system wars with a straight face.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

I'd like to believe that Sony have special sauce but what got them the better hardware last gen was spending the hardware budget on a better GPU rather than a kinect. Other than that the machines were more or less the same 

The Xbox One cost more to make even without Kinect. Microsoft's problem was they wanted 8GB of RAM for their centre of the living room domination dreams and so bet on cheaper and slower main system RAM. As a result of that decision, they had to waste their precious SoC die area budget on a eSRAM memory pool to compensate for the shit slow system RAM they chose.

Sony originally designed the PS4 with only 4GB of faster expensive GDDR memory and used their SoC die area budget on slapping in as much graphics/compute processing and pixel pushing power as they could fit in.

The Xbox One SoC is actually physically bigger than the one in the PS4, but is ~30% less powerful in terms of compute power.

The current rumours would suggest a partial re-run of the PS4P vs X1X situation, but more so as the SoC size difference between those two machines isn't actually that much, the power difference there is primarily down to how high they were both clocked, not how many extra physical processing units one has over the other. The X1X also had way more RAM and crucially bandwidth.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, mushashi said:

The Xbox One cost more to make even without Kinect.

$15 more according to IHS.  $396 (with no Kinnect) vs $381 for PS4.

Multiply that by the millions of launch consoles sold that $15 looks less trivial.  It's more enough to have paid for the PS4 chip fab design costs.  Or a better DS4 battery if they weren't being tight.

I’m looking forward to a new PS controller. 

Hopefully the up the plastic And battery budget On it.

The switch Pro pad is so quality :wub:

13 minutes ago, probotector said:

The DS5 will have resistive triggers and better rumble, according to Wired.  Probably not going to do battery life much good...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Clipper said:

what was the special sauce in the technically superior ps4? Because to my memory they both used similar SoC tech and Sony paid for a better GPU and faster ram both of which are really "throwing numbers".

The last time they used special sauce was Cell processors in PS3. This time they are both going for similar AMD hardware again I think.

Xbox still has the worst front end.

411BCF1C-856A-4893-BFCA-F3EE28A45A47.jpeg.66311ec9afdd3e8658995dd250bc7bca.jpeg

17 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Xbox still has the worst front end.

im not sure why you quoted me? did you mean to?

I was referring to the incorrect assertion that sony have "special sauce" to make their hardware better - my post was specifically regarding hardware differences and how it isn't really special it is just having a better GPU and faster RAM whilst having the same base architecture. The days of "special sauce" being mostly gone it seems (special chips, blast processing, cell processing etc etc). The nearest you got was the MS assertion about the power of the cloud which was just embarrasing.

Roll on February when hopefully we start to see what the actual hardware is hopefully. 

Kinda. Sorta

who cares about “special source” when

The one area where you expected Microsoft to outshine Sony, in terms of performance, would be the front end. The connect between you and the hardware. 

and yet the metro based tiles are shite.

Also: remember when DX12 for Xbox was going to offer a noticeable performance boost? Did that even happen?

For me, it is all about the exclusive games. Sony have that completely covered. Microsoft only really have Halo, Forza and Gears of War. Again.

Mind you, this gen, I have all cross platform games on Xbox1X and exclusives on PS4.

Just now, AceGrace said:

For me, it is all about the exclusive games. Sony have that completely covered. Microsoft only really have Halo, Forza and Gears of War. Again.

You know something nobody else knows?

Not really. History shows that Sony seem to throw money at exclusives, more so than Microsoft.

5 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Kinda. Sorta

who cares about “special source” when

The one area where you expected Microsoft to outshine Sony, in terms of performance, would be the front end. The connect between you and the hardware. 

and yet the metro based tiles are shite.

Also: remember when DX12 for Xbox was going to offer a noticeable performance boost? Did that even happen?

the original post I referred to and my point was about hardware specifically as that is what was being referred to.

You won't find any argument from me against the fact that the PS4 front end was better than the Xbox front end for games.

2 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Not really. History shows that Sony seem to throw money at exclusives, more so than Microsoft.

MS have bought up a load of studious recently and I’m hoping we’ll start to see some good games coming through from the start of the next gen.

I still think exclusives are anti-consumer, mind.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JPL said:

MS have bought up a load of studious recently and I’m hoping we’ll start to see some good games coming through from the start of the next gen.

you want forza on ps5?

2 minutes ago, SeanR said:

you want forza on ps5?

Yeah, I want all games available on all consoles.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, probotector said:

The switch Pro pad is so quality :wub:

The anologue sticks are horrible. I hope they make them better. Probably won't though.

The Dual Shock 4 has been a terrible controller for me. The launch model's sticks peeled away to raw plastic despite me barely using them (I primarily play with a wired arcade stick).The battery life is also poor; I have to rotate a controller out of a charging dock almost every evening. The triggers are also pretty uncomfortable and, frustratingly, can be pressed in slightly in you try to rest the pad on a flat surface, resulting in sudden video rewinds.

The dpad is stuff too, I find it uncomfortable for charge characters in fighting games in particular.

Hopefully.all of these things are improved in the new model. The pad I got with my PS4 Pro at least had sticks which didn't peel so they're aware of the issues.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JPL said:

I don’t agree, I think the symbiosis of hardware and software is what makes Nintendo so attractive. 

Basically without exclusives we might as well all just own PC’s as that’s the way it’s headed. 

• Upvote 3

Other than the hardware price, is that so bad?

Then again what you're actually suggesting is more 3do and that didn't end so well.

On 31/12/2019 at 15:25, PC Master Race said:

Of course there will. For the bargain price of £49.99

Like you all aren't itching to pay £50 for a 4K/60fps remaster of Bloodborne.

I think this will be the first console gen that should nail 1080/60fps across all titles, and I'm really not bothered about going any higher resolutionwise - my next upgrade will be straight into VR.

I'll go PS5 because the quality of PS4 stuff I already own is really high, and if they nail PS3 bc that would be even better. Just thinking about that has the music from The Last Guy stuck in my head again. Thanks thread....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JPL said:

It what way, is a company  be it Sony or MS, making games for thier own hardware, anti-consumer?

Is Nintendo anti consumer? Should BotW be on all platforms?

20 hours ago, probotector said:

Microsoft have come 3rd in every single Generation. I don’t even understand how xbots can even take part in system wars with a straight face.

This is demonstrably untrue, isn't it?

Microsoft were well ahead of Sony with the 360, although behind the Wii.

• Empathy 1