rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - 4th June event now postponed

I like how the PSX5 devkit looks like part of a Gundam's head that fell off on a scouting mission to Siberian oil fields. Random ^ __ ^

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, replicant said:

According to an interview yesterday with Jim Ryan the biggest differences between the PS5/4 have yet to be revealed.

Did we ever get to the bottom of what that patent for a new Sony developed cartridge was all about?

I've heard some funny speculation that PS5 could be modular and you could upgrade the graphics card every two years. I don't know if that would even be practical, but it's a fun idea. Didn't Samsung release a TV a few years back in which you could upgrade the CPU?

I must admit to being dissapointed that we don't have a fixed date for the PS5 reveal event. I do hope they do one and we're not waiting until E3 this year.

Lots of (most?) patents don’t lead directly to a product.

Are we really doing “upgradable console” rumours again? 

every time it happened so far I’d point to the 32X and say “nope”.

remember when there was going to be an upgrade for the 360 and people swore blind they’d seen a box sitting on top of the console designed to increase power?

yeah...

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Are we really doing “upgradable console” rumours again? 

every time it happened so far I’d point to the 32X and say “nope”.

remember when there was going to be an upgrade for the 360 and people swore blind they’d seen a box sitting on top of the console designed to increase power?

yeah...

probably a troll saw that Intel NUC introduced this week and ran with it.

”let’s throw out the most expensive And hard to cool bit of the console - the APU - and replace it...”

1 hour ago, LowCostMonkey said:

I'm still holding onto hope that my 3DO is finally going to get that promised upgrade.

Hang in there champ, it's coming.

2 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

I'm still holding onto hope that my 3DO is finally going to get that promised upgrade.

Hah,  that plan died even quicker than the M2 one did :)

Having recently purchased a PSVR, I was pleased to hear that PS5 will support it. What I'd love to hear, though, is that PS5 will support the maximum resolution of the current headset with added bells and whistles. That would push back the need for a PSVR V2 (technically a V3, I know, but the current V2 is really more of a V1.5) for at least a couple more years, and probably tip me into going Sony again in the next gen.

I think that's exactly what will happen. 1080p native to the headset, possibly PS5 will render at even higher resolutions then use supersampling down to 1080p. 

Should improve the image clarity a great deal.

Some current PSVR games look like they're rendering at about 480p (Driveclub VR in particular is incredibly blurry).

Is the headset hardware capable of more resolution though? I thought it was doing what it could. My guess was that PSVR would be cross-compatible because Sony aren't crazy enough to try to launch a PSVR2 to a small install base, then we'd get a better headset if and when PS5 sold a lot. I wasn't aware there was more capability in the hardware.

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is the headset hardware capable of more resolution though? I thought it was doing what it could. My guess was that PSVR would be cross-compatible because Sony aren't crazy enough to try to launch a PSVR2 to a small install base, then we'd get a better headset if and when PS5 sold a lot. I wasn't aware there was more capability in the hardware.

Well you could render more detail to the display you have . PS Pro gave improvements to PSVR, increasing the sweet spot , so there’s no reason to think PS5 can’t improve on that .

Headset hardware? It's just a 1080p panel with motion sensors attached. Think of it as a 1080p TV. PS4 Pro already has supersampling down to a 1080p TV so the PS5 will have even more extra grunt to render VR games natively at 1080p or even higher to the PSVR headset panel to improve image clarity with potential added bells and whistles on top.

As I said earlier, a lot of PSVR titles are probably nowhere near native 1080p.

5 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is the headset hardware capable of more resolution though?

I believe a number of PSVR games render below 1920x1080 in order to hit the high frame rate requirements. 

On 09/01/2020 at 21:54, Robo_1 said:

Did we ever get to the bottom of what that patent for a new Sony developed cartridge was all about?

That cartridge was related to Sony’s Toio - a range of little programmable robot toys for kids. I think it was something that plugged into a dock for them. Not related to PlayStation though.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Having recently purchased a PSVR, I was pleased to hear that PS5 will support it. What I'd love to hear, though, is that PS5 will support the maximum resolution of the current headset with added bells and whistles. That would push back the need for a PSVR V2 (technically a V3, I know, but the current V2 is really more of a V1.5) for at least a couple more years, and probably tip me into going Sony again in the next gen.

supersampling is the single biggest image improvement you can get with VR, and far more noticeable than when it’s being done on a tv. You could throw a lot more graphics horsepower at a 1080p screen than a PS5 will have and see a good improvement.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, footle said:

supersampling is the single biggest image improvement you can get with VR, and far more noticeable than when it’s being done on a tv. You could throw a lot more graphics horsepower at a 1080p screen than a PS5 will have and see a good improvement.

I guess a ‘big’ improvement may have been too optimistic, when I consider the oomph that gaming P.Cs need to do justice to VR. Honestly though, from what I’ve read about super sampling, that would be pretty fab. Blanket SSAA would be a most welcome improvement. 

17 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

I guess a ‘big’ improvement may have been too optimistic, when I consider the oomph that gaming P.Cs need to do justice to VR. Honestly though, from what I’ve read about super sampling, that would be pretty fab. Blanket SSAA would be a most welcome improvement. 

I suspect big improvement isn’t optimistic. The headset itself is meant to be good, and displaying a supersampled 1440p or higher image through it should be trivial for a Nvidia 1070 class GPU with console optimisations.

2 hours ago, Avuncular said:

Ryan spoke to Business Insider Japan (translation via Gematsu) about the PlayStation 5’s logo and other parts of the console in an interview shared this week. The CEO and president said people should be able to look at the logo and immediately recognize it as something related to the PlayStation brand.

“It is important to give off a sense of consistency for products within the PlayStation brand,” Ryan said. “It is a must for anyone who sees [the logo] to immediately and positively think, ‘That’s PlayStation.’”

He continued to say Sony has an “obligation” to keep PlayStation 4 owners invested and interested in PlayStation, and having the logo look so similar to the one for the current generation of consoles aligns with that goal.

How long have we had that style of logo?   That style of logo I think came about round about Ps3 slim time I think?   I guess anything was better than the Spiderman font.  :)

2 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Ps2 used that font . 

Nah, PS2 was a lot squarer. That’s where it started though.

I’m probably alone in thinking this but I’d love it if they went back to the original PS2 for the PS5, that really sharp boxy two tier design with the green and blue lights :wub:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Also, so fuck?

How long have Nintendo used their Logo? 

They always have. 

Yes but different logos for the actual console names. 

On 10/01/2020 at 20:19, Uncle Mike said:

My guess was that PSVR would be cross-compatible because Sony aren't crazy enough to try to launch a PSVR2 to a small install base, then we'd get a better headset if and when PS5 sold a lot. I wasn't aware there was more capability in the hardware.

They’ve already stated PSVR2 won’t launch with the console and PSVR will be supported.