Assetto Corsa Competizione

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've always run brake ducts at 1 … is that foolish?

If the track temp is hot, you need air coming in to keep your brakes cool.  So open them up in hot weather.  Didn't you overheat your brakes once?  Or was that Meers?

If it's cool, like it is at Silverstone, it's probably fine to close them.

2 minutes ago, davejm said:

If the track temp is hot, you need air coming in to keep your brakes cool.  So open them up in hot weather.  Didn't you overheat your brakes once?  Or was that Meers?

If it's cool, like it is at Silverstone, it's probably fine to close them.

@Meers meermanned his brakes. I was the one who rocked up at Brands Hatch with Fisher Price brakes. ;)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I've always run brake ducts at 1 … is that foolish?

I don’t think so, as long as your brakes aren’t overheating. Kunos mention 3 to 4 kmh on a long straight at Paul Ricard (due to increased drag I guess). I might try 1 on rear as they seem cold.

They also mention track temp affects front brakes more and lower setting is better for wet but never 0 which is closed.

24 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Are @SneakyNinja and @SweatyTravolta not racing this week?

I've actually started to quite Silverstone, which isn't something I thought I'd ever say!

I expect I'll be there.

Probably a post for a different thread, but...

One of my many character flaws is that I get *incredibly* frustrated when I can't do or understand something I think I should be able to, be it learning to snowboard, debug a particular piece of code or find the missing 5 seconds in my lap time. (Seeing my daughter in tears of frustration at not being able to understand her maths homework once means she's inherited it. Sorry love.)

I've had to step away a bit recently, and practice in short bursts. It's not the car, it's not the track, it's not the set up, it's my technique and I don't know how to improve it.

It's starting to suck the fun out of the game for me. I love the racing, but hate my own lack of understanding and it's a close run thing at the moment.

You've shared similar frustrations before but then come race day you're well up the order. Is it about not being able to match the very fastest times? 

I think you make a good point about the game though. In my opinion, the overriding factor is technique. There really aren't any magical improvements to be found in changing setups or even car, due to the BoP. Ultimately, you need a car that suits your style, but a 'slow' car can be driven quickly or a quick car slowly.

It's got to be about the fun for me. I don't really care where I am in the field as long as I can have a good race with somebody. I'm entirely comfortable with my mediocrity :)

4 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I'll be there, just not had any time for practice this week. I'm disturbed at people finding enjoyment at Silverstone.

I was actually really enjoying it last night!  I think any track is improved by this game as the physics are so good (not Paul Ricard though).

9 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

I'm happy with mid-pack, mediocrity FTW! 

Gonna be right there with you tonight :)

19 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I've had to step away a bit recently, and practice in short bursts. It's not the car, it's not the track, it's not the set up, it's my technique and I don't know how to improve it.

I'm kind of in the same boat of not being able to match the top times because of my ineptitude (but my frustration is mild and mixed with ungrounded self-loathing). The guys here have cushioned that yesterday with saying that I shouldn't get obsessed with it too much. It's what happens in the race that counts. And you seem to do really well there!

43 minutes ago, Meers said:

I'm kind of in the same boat of not being able to match the top times because of my ineptitude (but my frustration is mild and mixed with ungrounded self-loathing). The guys here have cushioned that yesterday with saying that I shouldn't get obsessed with it too much. It's what happens in the race that counts. And you seem to do really well there!

Cheers. Completely agree about the race being the most important factor. I think I do better there because I'm slow but consistent with very few unforced mistakes. My finishing position is mostly dependent on how many mistakes others make. :) 

That's why I sometime seem super cautious. If I make a mistake, or am involved in an incident, I lack the raw pace to catch up. But I can lap for an hour with a ~0.4s delta.

If anything, switching to the McLaren has enhanced that. It's soooo pliable compared with the serial killer 911. If the rear end starts to go now I can decided to back off a bit and bring it back, or tickle the throttle and drift it round like I'm in Fast & Furious. Lovely. In the 911 the first step when the rear starts to go is to look for a gap in the hedge and at the map to see if anyone else is going to get collected as you pirouette into the scenery. 

11 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Cheers. Completely agree about the race being the most important factor. I think I do better there because I'm slow but consistent with very few unforced mistakes. My finishing position is mostly dependent on how many mistakes others make. :) 

That's why I sometime seem super cautious. If I make a mistake, or am involved in an incident, I lack the raw pace to catch up. But I can lap for an hour with a ~0.4s delta.

If anything, switching to the McLaren has enhanced that. It's soooo pliable compared with the serial killer 911. If the rear end starts to go now I can decided to back off a bit and bring it back, or tickle the throttle and drift it round like I'm in Fast & Furious. Lovely. In the 911 the first step when the rear starts to go is to look for a gap in the hedge and at the map to see if anyone else is going to get collected as you pirouette into the scenery. 

I'm slow but very consistent too in the race, trying to make less (or no) mistakes than others whist being patient is what I've learned over the last 13 years of online (sim)racing. I can catch up after a mistake, but I'm a bit too friendly to make an agressive (but safe) overtake* after I've caught up with someone. I should work on that too. You're never done trying to improve your skills in life. :D

My Ferrari is very good on Silverstone as well with my current setup. Sounds like they're pretty equal.

* Like the one @SharkyOB did on me last race.

I reckon if I understood the ins and outs of setup changes like toe, camber, slow/fast bumper etc I'd be able to get nearer scooby and santoos. But I can't be arsed. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

I reckon if I understood the ins and outs of setup changes like toe, camber, slow/fast bumper etc I'd be able to get nearer scooby and santoos. But I can't be arsed. :lol:

I don't know what to say to that. :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, that was my excuse too. Then @SANtoOos gave me his setup.

:)

3 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

You've shared similar frustrations before but then come race day you're well up the order. Is it about not being able to match the very fastest times? 

Sorry, missed your question earlier. Partly, yes, it's about not being the fastest, which I know is unachievable. But it's more about my not knowing what to do to improve. I've had instruction on track before in real life, and having someone sat next to you saying 'you're too harsh on the brakes' or 'sort the braking out, then worry about the gears' is really what I think I'm missing. 

There's only so much you can pick up from driving technique books and watching videos.

Next up is either paying for tuition, or getting stuck into MoTec data and see if I can unpick it myself.

@SneakyNinja if it's any consolation I had a go last night and just couldn't get settled and consistent on a race fuel setup. Kept trying little setup changes only to go ever slower, so frustrating. Being consistent is a great skill to have! 

I don't know much about setups, it's mostly trial and error for me. Decided not to stray much from the aggressive preset this week as I don't want to create myself problems later in the race. My rear tyres are overheating again, need to work on my heavy foot and just be a bit smoother with the steering.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

To be honest I think my lap is an outlier, I either just got in the zone or the track temp was spot on for my setup. Our pace is probably very close. I might hook up a lap again but there’s no chance that I’ll be doing 30 of them, I’ll be very happy with top 4 in Quali.

I had an interesting 40 minute Silverstone race last night (first I’ve done other than rllmuk for a long time), I guessed at my fuel load and overfilled by about 15L (it turned out) but had qualified 2nd. For the first half of the race I followed a Porsche, I’d lose about a second in sector 3 and pull back about 0.5 through sectors 1 & 2. I just couldn’t take his line or compete for traction through sector 3. I ended up about 5 seconds down and then had an off at T1 and dropped to about 15 secs.

I felt quite demoralised and wondered whether to continue, the rest of the field were quite a way behind so I wondered if I’d be basically hot-lapping for the rest with no chance of catching him. I also started to doubt my race pace for tonight, I had no idea what pace 80L of fuel should equate to.

However, during the second half of the race I noticed that his time was dropping, I was gradually gaining 0.5 secs per lap which kept increasing until I was pulling 2 secs per lap back.  In the end I did still finish 2nd but only a couple of car lengths behind and it felt great. It turned out that he’d underfilled by around 15L and had to fuel save so his pace hadn’t been quite as fast as it seemed. If only I hadn’t had an off.

ACC feels very similar to golf, the way it gets in your head, the harder you try the worse it gets, the doubts that creep in but also the feeling when you nail it.

23 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

ACC feels very similar to golf, the way it gets in your head, the harder you try the worse it gets, the doubts that creep in but also the feeling when you nail it.

I fucking hate golf! :lol:

But as for your lap being an outlier, I'm not consistently in the 1.59s, I reckon the top average lap time will be in the 2.00s. :)  Looking forward to tonight actually, despite the track. :)

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

To be honest I think my lap is an outlier, I either just got in the zone or the track temp was spot on for my setup. Our pace is probably very close. I might hook up a lap again but there’s no chance that I’ll be doing 30 of them, I’ll be very happy with top 4 in Quali.

I had an interesting 40 minute Silverstone race last night (first I’ve done other than rllmuk for a long time), I guessed at my fuel load and overfilled by about 15L (it turned out) but had qualified 2nd. For the first half of the race I followed a Porsche, I’d lose about a second in sector 3 and pull back about 0.5 through sectors 1 & 2. I just couldn’t take his line or compete for traction through sector 3. I ended up about 5 seconds down and then had an off at T1 and dropped to about 15 secs.

I felt quite demoralised and wondered whether to continue, the rest of the field were quite a way behind so I wondered if I’d be basically hot-lapping for the rest with no chance of catching him. I also started to doubt my race pace for tonight, I had no idea what pace 80L of fuel should equate to.

However, during the second half of the race I noticed that his time was dropping, I was gradually gaining 0.5 secs per lap which kept increasing until I was pulling 2 secs per lap back.  In the end I did still finish 2nd but only a couple of car lengths behind and it felt great. It turned out that he’d underfilled by around 15L and had to fuel save so his pace hadn’t been quite as fast as it seemed. If only I hadn’t had an off.