Assetto Corsa Competizione

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Love that you can do that, unfortunately I'm a bit short of buttons on my T-300!  I was looking at the ECU maps yesterday and they seem like something you'd want to map to buttons for longer races, or in case it rains.  I'm not sure the different maps are explained in the game, but I found this online:

https://mega.nz/folder/XlogXCqJ#yC41Kh-wOIkfiS6uaOXfzQ

I added a link to a guide in Post 1, at the end of that document are links to other useful bits such as ECU maps etc. Might be useful for new console players, it was created by Kunos for the e-sport events to help out real drivers.

For those short on buttons, ECU, TC, ABS etc. can all be changed via the MFD (map to a single button). There’s also the option to use a time-delay on a button, so for instance I press a button to lower TC or hold the same button for 0.5sec to raise TC. In addition you can map a Shift button to add an additional function to a button, I don’t tend to use that though, too much to think about in a race.

18 minutes ago, mexos said:

The trackside textures are laughable and the frame rate feels like... 25? Also very little sense of speed. Hmm.

Hmm not sounding great, is that on base PS4? Are there options to turn off mirrors, reduce shadows etc. or has that already been done for consoles out of the box?

13 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Hmm not sounding great, is that on base PS4? Are there options to turn off mirrors, reduce shadows etc. or has that already been done for consoles out of the box?

Nope this is on the Pro. Honestly it’s laughable. I’ve already turned it off.

You look at what naughty dog has just got out of the pro.. or what GT sport - a near 3 year old game looks like. I’m not saying I expected that level of performance, far from it. I also know the dev resources are far different but damn... this is not up to scratch.

That does not sound good.

I'm surprised Kunos even attempted this game on consoles if it runs like this.  The physics model is amazing, but if it doesn't run on this hardware they're gonna bring in so much bad press.

It always seemed like a stretch that it would run on base consoles, I hate to think what they’re like if it’s struggling on a Pro. I wouldn’t be surprised if the devs wanted to wait for PS5 but Studio/Publisher didn’t want to lose out on the larger user base, although that might be a bad call if it ruins their reputation.

2 hours ago, mexos said:

Literally just practice. I've seen 1 or 2 cars out on track. 

I'm having the same thoughts here, I thought it was my bog standard ps4 but if your running it on pro and getting the same then it's an issue with the game. 

The sound when you use chase cam is laughable too its like a rocket taking off when doing the initial test in career mode in the lambo. 

The g29 isn't feeling as tight as I would have thought either, between around 0-5 degrees is got quite a bit of input to the car and little to no resistance. 

Shame I was looking forward to a little more detailed sim. 

Mmm, add me to the list of folks not entirely convinced by the PS4 version. Frame rate often feels like it’s dipped below 30 even on my PS4 Pro, and there’s something really weird about the force feedback which might be what @davadvice1 is feeling; off-centre there’s almost no feedback or weight at all, and it seems to load up in strange ways through the corners (CSL Elite here, which it initially didn’t detect properly).

I’ll dig around in the settings later on see if I can improve things, but It does seem on initial experience to be a little bit... lacking, which is a shame as the PC version is apparently ace.

5 hours ago, mexos said:

Jesus. I played this a while back on PC and it felt nice. On PS4... its... I’ve not seen jaggies like it for years. It almost looks and feels like a PS3 game.

45 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Mmm, add me to the list of folks not entirely convinced by the PS4 version. Frame rate often feels like it’s dipped below 30 even on my PS4 Pro, and there’s something really weird about the force feedback which might be what @davadvice1 is feeling; off-centre there’s almost no feedback or weight at all, and it seems to load up in strange ways through the corners (CSL Elite here, which it initially didn’t detect properly).

I’ll dig around in the settings later on see if I can improve things, but It does seem on initial experience to be a little bit... lacking, which is a shame as the PC version is apparently ace.

Wow. Was just debating whether to get this on disc or digital. Now it’s neither, real shame. I’ve got a launch PS4 so it would probably run like Stunt Race FX

2 questions to those with the PS4 version...

How so I get the DLC? should I have been sent a code?

should I even bother trying this on my base console... I’m enjoying GT Sport a lot right now, not sure I want to waste my limited gaming time, especially if I’d end up stuffing around trying to find settings for my CSL Elite

5 hours ago, mexos said:

You look at what naughty dog has just got out of the pro.. or what GT sport - a near 3 year old game looks like. I’m not saying I expected that level of performance, far from it. I also know the dev resources are far different but damn... this is not up to scratch.

Ah.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Perhaps these will help, if the same options exist on console?

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/634/assetto-corsa-competizione-pc-fanatec-recommended-settings

Stuck ACC on my base PS4... 

Messed about with settings on my CSL Elite as it has no feeling as all out of the box.

Pause and press the ps button and it still turns the wheel, snapping it back when you start playing again.

It looks like Forza 4 on 360

the rear view mirror looks even worse.

And worst of all, the trees, I think anyway, stuttering along in the background catch my eye, and it’s making me feel a little motion nausea.

Never had that from a game, am I just so accustomed to GT Sport now :(

15 minutes ago, Freeman said:

GT Sport is pretty amazing on a base PS4 but Driveclub ran at 30fps and that always felt really smooth so I think ACC is just very poorly optimised. No idea why they’ve released a game in such a state as it’s a much more difficult/slower process to patch on consoles.

Real shame as I was probably going to double dip if the PS4 reviews were good. Hopefully they’ll sort it out so that it at least runs smoothly.

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Managed a 1:48.9 with a tweaked aggresive setup, but couldn't possibly hope to maintain that without spinning out at some point. 

Try the Safe setup, it’ll probably have much more grip. Just change the Engine Map to 1 (if it’s not) and turn the TC and ABS down a bit from the defaults. I found with the Lambo the extra grip helped a lot.

Played the PS4 version for a bit tonight (on PS4 Pro). Not that impressed with it but it's not the total mess I was fearing after reading initial reactions here.

The graphics are mediocre at best. It really reminds me of Shift 2: Unleashed for some reason. (Even more than Project CARS did which was made by the same developer.) But they're functional, I guess.

Handling-wise, it actually feels a bit of a step down from the original AC on PS4. It just seems to have less feeling to it, while lacking the overall smoothness of GT Sport.

However, upping the force feedback a bit, to around 80% while Initial feedback is now on 10-15% already made it better. Need to mess about a bit more with this.

I'll spend some more time and hope to find a decent sim-racer in here - the original AC took a few attempts for me to click, too - but GT Sport can very much rest assured in terms of priority.

I’ll try it more tomorrow with more cars and tracks. My wheel doesn’t feel right on a first play and it doesn’t look great. However I know from playing the pc version there *should* be some fun here. I did find that very satisfying to drive so if that is here in this one then I hope I find it. I can deal with a ropey looking game if it handles well, is fun and feels fast. Looks aside it’s the lack of speed that shocked me the most. We are spoilt with GT but still. No doubt other PS4 peeps will have settings to try (assuming you can tweak options for performance)

I guess I’m just a bit shocked, I don’t play that many new games these days and haven’t seen anything this ropey looking for a while. 

3 hours ago, Freeman said:

And worst of all, the trees, I think anyway, stuttering along in the background catch my eye, and it’s making me feel a little motion nausea.

I didn’t have the nausea but that stuttering grabs my eye as I’m looking for a braking point. It is distracting.

Xbox One X and yeah, same story.....game is a mess. Framerate doesn't even manage a constant 25fps I don't think. Played it for around 15 minutes and that was enough. Bought digital and have requested a refund. It needs some serious patching. 

I hadn't played an Assetto Corsa game before, but had a nosy at it on the Xbox store, and it's pretty bloody obvious now that they were using PC footage to show off the game on there. It looks pretty sweet on the video that plays in the store. I can't believe they couldn't even get a nice stable 30fps. 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Cheers @scoobysi :hat: I was in the Mercedes AMG. I did try tweaking a safe setup and, yeah the car sticks, but I just wasn't fast enough. Still plenty to play with. Spotted @Meerman out on track too. :)

Yeah, tried to tune my car a bit and managed to shave half a second off of my previous time (now 1:48.666 \m/). But I feel there's no way that I can get close to Sharky's time. For this lap I already squeezed the maximum out of my abilities.:(

17 hours ago, mexos said:

3 hours ago, SteveH said:

Xbox One X and yeah, same story.....game is a mess.

The console version of AC wasn't bad, and ran at 60fps (on XBO at least), but Kunos did not really update it after launch apart from some DLC and one or two patches, probably because they were already focussing on ACC at that time.

Reading these impressions though, it sounds it might be a bit too much for Kunos to chew with just 30 people working there, to also handle console ports of their games.