Assetto Corsa Competizione

My best attempt so far at the Lamborghini Real Race event at the Nurburgring 11:40.977, very pleased with it but still 3secs+ per lap slower than the top times, currently 57th out of 127.

729920075_AC227_06_202016_41_07.thumb.png.18b76d0c6f72f162740a4547a1e2435a.png

and my best lap, from a different session.

I've stuck with the non-EVO Lambo for now...

I'd been learning the track using the racing/braking line the game gives you, and the shame was starting to get to me!   Figured it was about time I took the training wheels off and drive like a big boy :D 

The line is a massive help initially as you learn the corners and general flow/gears.  But as soon as I removed it, I found I had not been paying attention to my braking points at all.  I was all over the place!  I span off loads too.  Just a horrid display of track driving.  Luckily no one else was on the 'muk server to witness it!

However, after I started paying attention to where I should brake, using marker boards and random track objects,  it all started coming together.  And after 30 mins of practice I ended up lopping a chunk of time off my previous fastest recorded lap.  I think I'm now at about 2.01.5...

Very chuffed with myself.   Got better, and got faster!

Great stuff @Valver!!  I turned the lines off after my first session, for the same reason.

I've only done a couple of practice sessions around Nurburgring and then an AI race; so I haven't set a time on the server yet.  But I think my best is 2.02.xxx so I've got a bit to do before I can even compete with any of you guys.  Here is the current server leaderboard...

image.png.e080ecb771bd0a296109da8d1a1edcb8.png

Is the server set to real time? When I did my practice laps the other night it was night time in the game too. Interested to know whether it'll be better to do laps in the day, so the conditions will be closer to the race. 

I've set it to be a 14:00 session start, with a 6 hour duration.  It's supposed to reset when the last person leaves, and then start again when someone joins; but when I joined earlier there was noone else on, yet the in-game time was 18:30.  So I'm not totally sure.  When I rejoined again later it had reset to 14:00 again!  So I'm not sure exactly how it's behaving.

I might just set the duration to last an hour, so it should always be in the time window of the race (or thereabouts).

Yeah, when I did some practice at Barcelona it was the night time, but clearly the early hours of the morning because it was getting lighter by the time I finished my practice session.

I'm hoping to set a time tonight. I've sorted out the numb FBB in my wheel yesterday, installed and tested the Real Head Motion app (it's awesome) and sorted an issue with the FanaLEDs app that I'm also using.

And I've finished my custom made dashboard (using the Sim Dashboard app) for ACC, which can also be used for AC and RaceRoom. If you like it and want to use it, I can share it. 8-)

A little explanation of the less obvious parts:

The leds at the top are for the flags. They flash whenever flags are waved (with a switching interval for double flags). These are bright and more visible than the HUD ones from the game itself. On top of the rev bar is the pit limiter notification bar, that shows whenever it's activated. The Driver ahead/behind section shows the distance and time. Behind the Gear and Speed section sits a shift indicator light that flashes when you have to shift up (as soon as the rev lights on my wheel base get in the blue zone). The Wheels section show the temp for the tyres and brakes. The Temp section shows the water temp, type of weather (invisible until on track) and the air and track temps. The Session section shows the remaining session time and the sessyion type (onbekend = unknown, until on track). In the System section you see TCM and ABS, as well as the headlight icon and the engine running light (turns green when on). I might change the Brake Bias section to show the engine mapping as well.

2108174457_Screenshot_20200629-080205_SIMDashboard.thumb.jpg.9bf66b65ad5ee81c7ee5a3f92bb8684d.jpg

Awesome mate, I might give that a go.

How does the real head motion app work?  Is it a proper head tracking thing like trackIR (that needs a camera?) or is it just a camera mod for the game that redirects the view as you turn into corners (similar to the in-game one)?

37 minutes ago, davejm said:

How does the real head motion app work?  Is it a proper head tracking thing like trackIR (that needs a camera?) or is it just a camera mod for the game that redirects the view as you turn into corners (similar to the in-game one)?

It's not a head tracking thing, no. And there's no need for external hardware either. It simulates the forces on the head/neck during racing and stabilises the view over bumps (as your eyes would IRL). You can set and adjust the amount of head turning as you go into corners, and that head turning can be either through steering imput or an automatic 'look at the apex' as you approach a corner (or both), and that can be adjusted as well (distance from corner, smoothness, tilt, etc etc.)

The way now in ACC is that the camera is always fixed, so every bump makes the view shake, which I find distracting. So RHM makes it a smoother drive by allowing you to look into a corner, but it may not be for everyone. Still worth a try, and the next best thing to VR in racing games.

Shall I upload that dashboard thing to the Sim Dashboard community then?

Ah I see, cool.  You can turn off the shaking in the settings, and there is an in-game option to have it look towards the apex (I tried it, didn't like it) but I'm assuming this app gives you more options to play around with.

I used SimHub for a bit, but I might give Sim Dashboard a try.  And your dashboard looks really good!  So yeah I'll give it a go if you want to upload it.

14 minutes ago, davejm said:

there is an in-game option to have it look towards the apex

Hang on, really? I must have missed that! I'd rather have it in game instead of running a separate app in the background so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up!

Was on for a 1:59:500 but stuffed up the last corner.

I'm still very inconsistent so I'm gonna forget about the time, slow down a bit, and try to get more comfortable around the track.

4 hours ago, davejm said:

I'm still very inconsistent so I'm gonna forget about the time, slow down a bit, and try to get more comfortable around the track.

3 hours ago, davejm said:

Holy moly, I did a 1:58.479 :)  I think I'll leave it for today, while I'm on a high.

Brilliant, as the saying goes, slow down to go faster :sealclap:.

So for those folks like myself who struggled with steering rotation on the PS4 (and possibly the Xbox version) whilst using the Fanatec CSL Elite or the Thrustmaster T300RS... it looks like the cars' inbuilt steering lock (which is different for each manufacturer) might not be being interpreted correctly, meaning some cars understeer horridly when wheel and in-game steering lock is set to the same.

As such, it's recommended that you set your wheel to 900 degrees and then set the in-game to the following car-determined settings to get a 1:1 match:

Ferrari = 480 deg
McLaren = 480 deg

BMW = 565 deg

Lamborghini = 620 deg
Lamborghini ST = 620 deg
Honda = 620 deg

Lexus = 640 deg
Aston Martin = 640 deg
Bentley = 640 deg
Nissan = 640 deg
Mercedes = 640 deg

Jaguar = 720 deg
Audi = 720 deg
R-EX = 720 deg

911 GT3 = 800 deg
911 CUP = 800 deg

21 hours ago, kiroquai said:

So for those folks like myself who struggled with steering rotation on the PS4 (and possibly the Xbox version) whilst using the Fanatec CSL Elite or the Thrustmaster T300RS... it looks like the cars' inbuilt steering lock (which is different for each manufacturer) might not be being interpreted correctly, meaning some cars understeer horridly when wheel and in-game steering lock is set to the same.

As such, it's recommended that you set your wheel to 900 degrees and then set the in-game to the following car-determined settings to get a 1:1 match...

[snip]

Well that's a bit shit. How's the console version doing a week after its release? Have there been any updates yet?

No patches in sight yet. I think the main problem with it is that a lot of people are going to be used to Gran Turismo and Forza, which are both cases of turning the wheel on, turning the game on and then just driving. Gran Turismo was a bit of a marvel to me in that I didn't need to tweak any settings at all with my wheel and it felt great out of the box. Going to something where you have to spent a good few hours changing values in-game and on the wheel itself to make it feel good isn't going to be fun for most folks... especially if you add that to the current bug where some wheels aren't recognised on first load and require a full bindings reset.

Obviously, ACC is a full-on sim whilst GT and Forza aren't so a bit of tweaking might be expected I suppose, but the sensitivity issue doesn't help. If you, for example, drive the McLaren first and get a setting that feels good for that, you'll then hop in a Porsche and understeer like a shopping trolley and not really know what's going on unless you happen across the information above.

As for the framerate... to be fair, I got used to it pretty quickly. I am using a PS4 Pro and have not raced around a group of cars yet, but out on circuit with a couple of others during practice and qualifying at Zolder yesterday it seemed relatively stable 30fps. It certainly doesn't look great or run well in comparison with other games on the console (including, slightly bizarrely, the original Assetto Corsa) but I felt for me it was alright.

Having finally gotten some wheel settings that felt good and allowed me to concentrate on where I was placing my car rather than what the piece of metal and plastic in my hands was doing, I have to say it's a great driving experience and this is coming from a fairly recent GT3 type car convert. The Aston is nice and predictable to drive so that helped. There is a great driving game in there for console users, but it's buried a bit so people need to dig (and hope for a few helping patches) to really get the most out of it and let it shine. I can totally see why PC players, who don't have these concerns, love the thing.

I had another shot with some practice laps last night and when in cockpit view it didn't seem so bad in respect of framerate.

I adjusted my wheel settings per a post on gtplannet and it's a bit better but still a bit to light on the straights, the feedback on the corners is much better. The sound is awesome in cockpit veiw but chase camera it's dreadful.

I'll do a little more with it this week and see how I go

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Obviously, ACC is a full-on sim whilst GT and Forza aren't so a bit of tweaking might be expected I suppose, but the sensitivity issue doesn't help. If you, for example, drive the McLaren first and get a setting that feels good for that, you'll then hop in a Porsche and understeer like a shopping trolley and not really know what's going on unless you happen across the information above.

The only tweaking I’ve done on PC was gain, road effects etc. but once I was happy with one car it was ok for all, no reason it should be different on console so it must be a bug they can fix. It shouldn’t have been released in that state but they probably took the view that most players on console will use a controller. Also the console is v1.3.x I think and PC is v1.4.x so there’s clearly a few changes still to be applied, although I don’t ever remember a similar issue on PC so looks like this was introduced during the console conversion.

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

There is a great driving game in there for console users, but it's buried a bit so people need to dig (and hope for a few helping patches) to really get the most out of it and let it shine. I can totally see why PC players, who don't have these concerns, love the thing.

Yep, it's definitely up there with the best sims I've played. Hopefully they can roll out the patch soon.

But to say that PC players don't have to dig to get the most out of it is not true, really. :blah:

I think I've spent about a month to get the damn thing to run at an acceptable performance on my fairly low/mid-range laptop. A stable 40fps (whilst other sims easily run at 60) with pretty decent graphics. If I want to run ACC at 60fps, I have to run it in potato quality graphics. No idea what makes it so demanding on the hardware.

I've had trouble with the FFB as well, but sorted that out last weekend.

I think its fair to say PC users are used to dealing with woes. For a start with have to set up the graphics (although Nviddy Experience has reduced this a bit).

In other PC News Automobilisa 2 is out proper now. This is the game Project Cars 3 probably should be but ive not had a chance to give it a proper seeing to.

3 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

I think its fair to say PC users are used to dealing with woes.

As someone who's only recently joined the PC scene, I don't think I'll ever get used to dealing with woes. Learning to cope with it, aye...but I'll probably never get used to it. :lol:

Still, Linus Tech Tips have helped me a lot with understanding the technical terms.

5 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

I think its fair to say PC users are used to dealing with woes. For a start with have to set up the graphics (although Nviddy Experience has reduced this a bit).

I binned Nvidia Experience pretty sharpish, it was rubbish, that was a while ago mind, maybe it’s improved.