Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season finale: Imola

davejm

25 minutes ago, Erik said:

Okay maybe not slow, but I know I should be much faster. 😉 Come Oulton Park and Snetterton you will see how slow I can be. I cant stay on the track in Oulton.

...still wins by 10 second margin :lol:

4 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Guys I'll try and join for quali. I'm coming in COLD haven't driven since our last league race, might be cheeky and ask for pressure/fuel help :) Still deciding wether I'll go Ferrari or Merc... 

I've added you to the event with the Ferrari, so make sure you change it to the Merc (on the event page) before the server starts if you want to change :)  It's not like the practice server; with simracing.gp it will only let you into the event with the car you're registered with.

13 minutes ago, davejm said:

I've added you to the event with the Ferrari, so make sure you change it to the Merc (on the event page) before the server starts if you want to change :)  It's not like the practice server; with simracing.gp it will only let you into the event with the car you're registered with.

Ah cool thanks for letting me know! Might stick with the ferrari as I got a livery for it anyways

31 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Ah cool thanks for letting me know! Might stick with the ferrari as I got a livery for it anyways

We can be team mates!

I promise I won't sabotage you with a terrible setup later :ph34r:

Just a reminder to make sure someone joins the server for when it starts (just after 7).

Sharky, Meers and Valver are admins on simracing.gp so if you're not sure anyone can get on at start time; just adjust the event so that it starts later (and reduce the time allocated for the practice session).

I will, as per usual, log in just in time to do about three bad practice laps before quali, forgetting to set up half my kit properly, sweating and stressed. Hey it worked out well last time...

It's been too damn hot to even think about practicing since I set my weekend time. Oh well.

4 hours ago, milko said:

Hey it worked out well last time...

not quite so well this time. Damn, I have a bit of a way to go with Mt Panorama yet! Nice racing with you all as ever.

Just wasn't meant to be for me tonight, couldn't replicate my practice time in qualifying and started both races from 9th.

The first race was going really good for me, my pace was strong I got two on track overtakes done and was catching up to the back of @SneakyNinja in P3 and then just coming off the mountain I binned it in a spectacular fashion, jumped back to the pits and the repair timer was longer than the time left in the race so that was the end of that race.

Had a decent start to the second race was close behind @Meersgoing over the mountain semi unsighted and all of a sudden I'm slamming into the front of @Yannik. Over three minutes od repairs in  the pits dropped me back a few laps and never really recovered from there, couldn't get my tires fully warmed again and my pace just wasn't there for the rest of the race.

I am really enjoying the ferrari but it can be a bit wild at times, here's hoping I can go mistake free the next race and keep it clean.

Well I enjoyed tonight a lot.  Especially race 2 where I was hanging onto @SANtoOos's bumper for lap after lap.  I actually had a *race* for once :lol:

Congrats to "slow" @Erik for a double win!

Not sure how everyone else fared but my connection to the server clearly wasn't up to much for the first half of race 1.  In the highlights below you'll see what I was following - cars warping and crabbing all over the place.  It was quite distracting.  Haven't yet found out if the kids were downloading stuff, or if it was the server at fault...  but it did eventually clear up.

Race 1:

Race 2:

@Valver it was your connection - even your voice was getting corrupted. Looks like the highlights were messed up too, a lot of the time theres nothing happening in them. As if the highlight moment is half a lap or something too late or early. They also dont have crashes... I might go back and record those, I understood that they were spectacular. Great job in race 2, very close fight through the race and 4 of you finished within 3 or 4 seconds!

My qualifying pole was most undeserved because it was accidentally done on race fuel and was quite sloppy. I couldnt stay flat out through Reid Park or Sulman Park and I couldnt use the whole track width most of the lap. I think at the end of the previous season performance like that would have pushed me down to around 5th.

Race 1 I stalled in grid and then had slow start, but Yannik's Porsche's low top speed on the Mountain Straight towards T2 saved me. Besides that both races were quite uneventful for me. After I pulled a good gap I became sloppy and twice nearly went around in the downhill chicane.

Two mediocre races for me, punctuated by a spin at the mountain chicane (followed by an Austin Powers style 1000 point turn) and an ill-judged track rejoin in front of SharkyOB. Bathurst isn’t a track I particularly enjoy and certainly never race well at, so I’m glad to get it over with really.

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

Bathurst isn’t a track I particularly enjoy and certainly never race well at, so I’m glad to get it over with really.

My sentiments exactly. I really don't like that track so I spent less than an hour practicing last week. As those stuck behind me will no doubt have noticed, I focused entirely on two things:

• Getting the two corner exits before the long straights right
  • Tip-toeing over the mountain with no (major) mistakes

I'm sure I could have gone faster but that would involve taking too much risk (for me) and at Bathurst a mistake usually costs you the race.

Really chuffed with a 3rd and a 2nd, but I'm even more satisfied that I kept it out of the wall for 1hr at that track. :) 

Oh, I heard someone mention icky damp gloves last night ( @Yannik maybe?) 

How many of us wear gloves? My wheel has alcantara grips on it that I occasionally clean - would I be better off with gloves? They always sounded a little bit over the top to me before, to be honest.

bare feet, bare hands, that's the milko way.

I have been thinking about my drive - in race 2 particularly I was going along pretty well, got overtaken nicely by Sharky towards the end (for 4th or 5th was it?) but had by no means given up on that battle when suddenly my car lost the back end in T1 and drove very hard into the inside wall. Race 1 was a similar crash on T2 except so much earlier on in the race and even more wreckage and I drove like shit even after I'd got the car sorted. But I have no idea why the two crashes happened so suddenly, nothing in the practice I did or other parts of the race gave me any warning that something like that was on the cards and it wasn't in the obviously dangerous parts of the track. Maybe I just have more to learn about the car.

Yeah, that was me @SneakyNinja :D I got a TS-XW Sparco wheel and don't want to screw it up too bad, plus I actually find it relatively comfortable. Except for cold and damp situations - but those I'm used to thanks to playing hockey, haha

As for the races, I think they were the perfect encapsulation of what the Porsche is all about: Extremely fast (except for straights, but meh) but very much on the edge. The first race was relatively uneventful except for two spins, with the second one resulting in light damage a few minutes from the end. No problem keeping P2, though.

However, race 2 was the exact opposite: Decent start, spin at the top of the mountain on lap one and @EuroVapeSim2 slamming into my stationary car (no hard feelings, you can't see shit in a lot of places at Bathurst) meant over three minutes in repairs and P10 in the end. I love the track, just need to get way more consistent on it.

Misano isn't too bad either, I think, but I won't be there for the race. I won't complain too much though, as I'll be at the Nürburgring instead :D

25 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

How many of us wear gloves? My wheel has alcantara grips on it that I occasionally clean - would I be better off with gloves? They always sounded a little bit over the top to me before, to be honest.

From what I gather, the issue with alcantara is that it just gets flattened.  So even if you keep it clean, it just gets ruined anyway over time.  My two Thrustmaster wheels are either alcantara (Ferrari Challenge Evo rim) or fake alcanata/suede (open wheel rim) and I've never bothered with gloves.  I tried to clean them; but it isn't so much that they're dirty more-so that they're flattened so feel less 'plush'.

I thought about getting some gloves for my new Fanatec wheels to protect them (being more expensive kit); but it turns out both rims I've bought are leather.  So not sure I'll bother.  I assume leather is easier to clean.

17 minutes ago, milko said:

But I have no idea why the two crashes happened so suddenly, nothing in the practice I did or other parts of the race gave me any warning that something like that was on the cards and it wasn't in the obviously dangerous parts of the track. Maybe I just have more to learn about the car.

Did you do any changes to safe or aggressive presets? I should be able to review the race 2 crash. In iRacing I've seen a car place its tyres in just the right spots to bottom out on T1 exit curb and launch across the track to the left. Maybe something similar happened to you.

12 minutes ago, davejm said:

From what I gather, the issue with alcantara is that it just gets flattened.  So even if you keep it clean, it just gets ruined anyway over time.  My two Thrustmaster wheels are either alcantara (Ferrari Challenge Evo rim) or fake alcanata/suede (open wheel rim) and I've never bothered with gloves.  I tried to clean them; but it isn't so much that they're dirty more-so that they're flattened so feel less 'plush'.

I thought about getting some gloves for my new Fanatec wheels to protect them (being more expensive kit); but it turns out both rims I've bought are leather.  So not sure I'll bother.  I assume leather is easier to clean.

This seems to suggest it's not flattened as such.. more gunked up with dead skin and oil - ick. Maybe it depends on the depth.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/how-to-restore-alcantara-rims.386644/

Others suggest unscented baby wipes. Others say that gloves actually do more damage as they're abrasive compared with skin. As with everything, there are a million online opinions.

Either way, I'm with @milko - naked hands and feet all the way baby :) 

I have the same Thrustmaster open rim as Dave has/had, and I feel its mostly getting flattened. Its also slowly losing some of the material - after some of the first sessions my hands turned gray of the alcantara...

Now that its flattened/worn/gunked up everywhere where I touch it I gave up trying to save it and just drive without gloves. 😁

13 minutes ago, Erik said:

Did you do any changes to safe or aggressive presets? I should be able to review the race 2 crash. In iRacing I've seen a car place its tyres in just the right spots to bottom out on T1 exit curb and launch across the track to the left. Maybe something similar happened to you.

I was running pretty much an out-of-the box aggressive present this time, I couldn't really find any changes that were helping me in the short time I had to try and do it and it felt stable enough apart from when it suddenly wasn't! You could well be right, I could've bottomed it out on exit, would actually potentially account for race 1's wreck as well as that was on an exit.

Nice races last night, forgot how much I enjoyed this! I was so rusty + change of car, almost lost it so many times, and for most of it I had genuine fear I was gonna crash the car. For the first time in years I felt a bit of VR dizzyness, driving through Erik at one of the warm-ups totally freaked me out. So yeah, loved it :lol:

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

As those stuck behind me will no doubt have noticed, I focused entirely on two things:

• Getting the two corner exits before the long straights right
  • Tip-toeing over the mountain with no (major) mistakes

Yes I definitely noticed this :D well driven and @Valvertoo, very consistent both 

The less said about my first race, the better. On the grid, after hitting drive, I decided to go into the options menu to quickly tweak some graphical settings. Got kicked into the pits as a result. Then when you guys went past, I got the green light and floored it in my excitement/frustration...only to get a DT penalty for speeding in the pitlane. Ended up 7th so that's pretty lucky and franky, undeserved.

2nd race was much better. Managed to keep up and when the tyres were in the right temp window, I was flying. Got up to 6th at some point due to a couple of accidents and tried to keep up with Milko and Valver. Made one tiny mistake and had to let them go, only to be reeled in by Sharky. 7th in the end, pretty happy with that.

And I have a love-hate relationship with Bathust. I absolutely love it when I get the flow, but on the other side hate it that there's absolutely no margin for error in the walled-up section on the hill. Made me feel like Austin Powers when I tried to turn around after a 180 spin.

austin-powers-stuck.gif

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season finale: Imola