Jump to content
IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 8 Round 3 @ Suzuka this Thursday!


davejm
 Share

Recommended Posts

I knew this car was going to be a handful to drive, I thought maybe some oversteer here and there but damn I can barely keep it pointing forward or on the track.

 

I think I've managed to spin at every corner by now.

image.thumb.png.4bf48d03f594f7de9ee0b448a6d7eadc.png

 

 

21 hours ago, Valver said:

How I image a lap in the Porsche is going to go:

 

drift.gif.20a1f8671639e10c5a54db5a3d2df6dc.gif

 

How it actually goes:

 

crash.gif.9c9bb69617fca2ce574311016e63322d.gif

This is exactly how I feel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah it's a real challenge. I keep telling myself that if I can crack it I'll be a better driver in other cars for the experience. So frustrating though, every time I think I've got it going (my best invalid-lap-but-very-minor-mistake is now 2.00.1) it throws me into a wall again. When I do manage to correct a slide and make it look like Valver's first gif it feels amazing! But also that's like 1 in 20 compared to just fucking it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, milko said:

I keep telling myself that if I can crack it I'll be a better driver in other cars for the experience.

This is what I'm hoping too. My focus is keeping it clean for the races, I can't see myself being very quick, maybe make some tweaks to the setup for less oversteery and hope the car kills everyone else and I go through like moses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really know how to focus on keeping it clean though! I think @davejm said something about this, but the car seems very happy to lose the back end when pushing it but also when not. I do love how it turns in though, I'll give it that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

This is what I'm hoping too. My focus is keeping it clean for the races, I can't see myself being very quick, maybe make some tweaks to the setup for less oversteery and hope the car kills everyone else and I go through like moses.

 

Hey! That's my plan!

 

I expect someone will inadvertently 'do a Bottas' and take out half the field at T1 (very possibly me), so I'm tempted to start from the pit lane then tip toe through the carnage back up to my usual 4/5th place. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I've found useful though - when I inevitably bin it on a lap, rather than have a 'toys out of pram' error - I re-join and do the rest of lap in a 'Fast & Furious - Tokyo Drift' style, to get a feel for how the car feels over the edge. Seem to be helping reign it in a bit when pushing on.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

when I inevitably bin it on a lap, rather than have a 'toys out of pram' error - I re-join and do the rest of lap in a 'Fast & Furious - Tokyo Drift' style

This is something I need to do, I keep returning to pits and then it's warm up again to an inevitable spin. I've noticed turn 4 kerb is a spot I keep lighting the tires up on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had the most frustrating session with the car.  I just don't have the required skills to control the car for long enough periods, even when I'm tip-toe'ing around the track during an out-lap I do something erratic with the steering or pedals and send myself into a spin.    Just isn't any fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, davejm said:

Just had the most frustrating session with the car.  I just don't have the required skills to control the car for long enough periods, even when I'm tip-toe'ing around the track during an out-lap I do something erratic with the steering or pedals and send myself into a spin.    Just isn't any fun.

 

Have you tried to make it a bit easier to drive? If you are losing rear try things such as lower rear arb, more wing, lower rear and higher front etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Erik said:

 

Have you tried to make it a bit easier to drive? If you are losing rear try things such as lower rear arb, more wing, lower rear and higher front etc.

 

I'll try those things, ta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gents I'm ducking out tonight. I think my practice would suggest that my finishing position is guaranteed already, and my house being a building site for the next 3 weeks isn't helping.

"Can you put that bloody wheel and stand out of the way, we need somewhere to store another load of boxes of stuff for the new kitchen". Good luck all. 

I'll unregister when I get home tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just working on the schedule for season 6 before I go away on holiday; and have come up with the following:-

 

image.thumb.png.06e779db0c58baa0e2f3472933c86dfe.png

 

General consensus (of the people that commented) seemed to indicate that sticking to the same car is favoured; so let's go with a change back to GT3s for all the races.  We can include some GT4 racing in mid-season events perhaps.

 

I've chosen the tracks for the first 3 events, so could I ask @winky, @Yannik, @EuroVapeSim2, @texlex45 and @Erik to nominate a track for the other events.  Could you reply with the following:-

  • Chosen track.  You can see from the schedule above whether the race will be a Endurance (60 mins) or Sprint (2x25 mins).
  • Time of the race session(s).  Just specify this loosely if you want; i.e sunrise, sunset, daytime, evening, midnight etc.  I can work out the exact timings.
  • Base Conditions.  Specify one of the following:
    • Dry and Clear
    • Cloudy/Overcast
    • Light Rain
    • Heavy Rain
  • Variability.  Specify one of the following:-
    • None
    • Low
    • Medium
    • High

Thanks guys!  Let's get this nailed down over the next few weeks and then look forward to the multi-class endurance at the end of August.  As with previous seasons, if anyone can't make a specific event then I'm open to shifting the schedule around; although now lock-down restrictions are eased I anticipate more people will have to miss some events anyway.

 

EDIT: I'm aware that you guys haven't even said you can take part in the league or on the date I'm tagged you against; so feel free to swap with one of the others; or if you don't want to choose I can get someone else to pick :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a heads up - I have signed up for tonight but I have to get rid of my old sofa at 6/7 pm (finally new furniture Friday!) old man is coming with his van tonight. Should make the race but might miss it if something goes wrong.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, winky said:

Just a heads up - I have signed up for tonight but I have to get rid of my old sofa at 6/7 pm (finally new furniture Friday!) old man is coming with his van tonight. Should make the race but might miss it if something goes wrong.

 

 

 

Fingers crossed.  Based on practice timings it looks like we might be trading paint work! ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, davejm said:

 

Fingers crossed.  Based on practice timings it looks like we might be trading paint work! ;)


Unlikely, my qualify time will let me down and then I will spin on every second lap 😛

 

Maybe you can lap me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, davejm said:

Thanks guys!  Let's get this nailed down over the next few weeks and then look forward to the multi-class endurance at the end of August.  As with previous seasons, if anyone can't make a specific event then I'm open to shifting the schedule around; although now lock-down restrictions are eased I anticipate more people will have to miss some events anyway.

 

EDIT: I'm aware that you guys haven't even said you can take part in the league or on the date I'm tagged you against; so feel free to swap with one of the others; or if you don't want to choose I can get someone else to pick :)

 

We have a new endurance season starting in a month or two, and looks like there are many race weeks where I will have a  12 hour race on Saturday. I'll try to participate as much as I can but will certainly have to miss a few.

 

I'll let others choose tracks and conditions first!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well tonight's Porsche Cup racing was fun.

 

I managed a personal best (a 1.59) during the practice session and was swapping being top of the timing tables back and forth with @davejm  as we steadily chipped away at our times.   I was feeling confident of a good placing, right until the last 5 minutes when others seemed to find a hidden turbo boost button I was not aware of and I suddenly ended up 4th.

 

Qualifying then went OK, but despite putting in another 1.59 (which I would've been very happy with normally) everyone else just pulled blinding times out of the bag and I was LAST on the grid! #shockedpikachuface

 

So to race 1.  Well here are the highlights:

 

It was a tortoise and hare race for me really.  I was able to keep up with the mid pack just about, but the leaders got away.  And then everyone seemed to get bitten by the wayward Porsche except me, and I just kept gaining places as others fell off the track.  And I only went and finished FIRST!  No, I still cant believe it either!  It's listed in my simracing.gp profile now too, so it definitely happened!!  

 

Race2 took the same grid order as the 'qually session, so I started last again:

I made it up to 4th I think, and then fell back after some solid pressure from Cillian.  Fair play to him, he had all but got a pass done on me at one point, but backed out to avoid a bump.  His patience was eventually rewarded as a lap or two later I went off onto the grass and span and got passed by him and @milko  as well.  I finished 6th.  An improvement on my qualifying position at least.

 

Great clean racing (again) by all concerned.  A brilliant fun evening.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After I got past you near the end there I finally got got by the T1 exit spin and nearly let you back in, I was hanging on in the end. There was a funny bit earlier when @SneakyNinjagot the same spin but all I could do was push him back on line and lose my own place to @winkyfor a bit again. You can just make it out in the highlights. We mixed it up a few times in race 2.

 

Can't believe I qualified 3rd, no idea where that time came from as I was in no danger of hitting anywhere close to that in practice. Found some good pace but then stuffed it badly in race 1, and then some terrible frame rate weirdness put me to the back in race 2 opening corners. I managed to make my way back to 5th and had a fine time doing it. 

 

Cracking races, those cars are such a handful I'm hoping I find everything else feels easy now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 8 Round 3 @ Suzuka this Thursday!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.