Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 12 Round 3 | GT3 Sprint at Barcelona

davejm

Another evening of practice laps for me. Had a bit battle with @willmill early doors, but I think he caught a spin somewhere in sector one. From then on It was me and the track. I was surprised to even make the highlights. @Valver Great work on the video's . We should get our own Eurosport slot !  

@SANtoOos terrified me towards the end. I was coasting around to allow him past (he was 20 secs behind me) because I feared another fuel issue. When he arrived he was skipping around all over the place. At turn 1 I was convinced I would hit one of his many track positions !  

I think with the connection Santooos had , it may. It was pretty exceptional, and the server may be relaying the immediate change in track position out to all the other players irrespective of whether you are in sight of the actual car or not.

I imagine the network code can take a small amount of lag and deal with it using averages (like COD does). The interesting thing is, normally at that extreme stage it would boot you ( I've had it before, in fact last night in practice) .

The server stats (which show in the bottom left) were going haywire the moment I noticed his latency bar hit the red (which was around the time that he reported floating cars on track).  We've seen similar things before when @Meers was floating at the side of the track for us; yet still driving around.  I guess the net code just craps out from time to time.

15 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Can lag affect the framerate? Mine was noticeably choppy in the race, which is unusual. 

My frame rate was ok (in VR so it sacrifices everything to keep it constant) but I did get far more micro pauses than usual. Like when someone joins the server. A couple of times my headset went black for a few tenths which made a couple of braking point more exciting than usual :) 

But to be fair, I’m still very impressed by how well all this tech holds up and lets a bunch of us from all over the place race together. 

19 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Can lag affect the framerate? Mine was noticeably choppy in the race, which is unusual. 

Most definitely. It was an issue in Forza Motorsport online as well at times. Similar to this actually.

I did the race in 1440p last night and with the mirrors on (and a couple of other non-essential fancyness on low for compensation) I was zooming along at a steady 50fps. I was very impressed, it seems that the added (and faster) RAM has a positive effect on alleviating CPU stress. As I said yesterday, the frametime graph line (through MSI Afterburner) is almost completely flat which means no stutters/freezes or other fluctuations. But when the high latency issues occured, it started to chop a bit more on my end as well. To make sure it wasn't caused by me this time, I asked Sharky if I was lagging when he passed me.

I also overclocked the memory frequency of my GTX1050 to nearly its max (it was on the safe overclock before) which also helped as I can play in 2K with the mirrors on now. Temps are ~ 75°C so there's still room for moar powerrrrr when I use the fan pad again. I think I'm slowly starting to understand all this PC hardware nonsense now.

Just now, davejm said:

The server stats (which show in the bottom left) were going haywire the moment I noticed his latency bar hit the red (which was around the time that he reported floating cars on track).  We've seen similar things before when @Meers was floating at the side of the track for us; yet still driving around.  I guess the net code just craps out from time to time.

Leave the flying Dutchman out of this! :blah:

I'll post the results in a bit.

Was a terrible race for me last night, firstly, wheel decided to unplug itself just at the start of quali and had to reboot the PC, then during the race was racing with @mrben09 until I managed to spin and put myself in last place. Was trying too hard to catch up and caught the kerb and spun into the wall resulting in a 3 minute pitstop for repairs. Then on my outlap, managed to spin at the exact same corner and hit the same wall, so decided enough was enough and rage quit. It's only lucky that the mic is on push-to-talk otherwise you would be amazed at how many swear words you can fit in one sentence :)

I won't be racing for a while - going on to nightshift next week for 3 weeks or more, but I'll look forward to the highlights on a Friday.

14 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I’m still very impressed by how well all this tech holds up and lets a bunch of us from all over the place race together. 

Indeed, it's a marvel of technology. I'm on fibre over here with a theoretical dl of 1000Mbit/s (250 up) so I should be alright connecting from way over here.

4 minutes ago, willmill said:

Was a terrible race for me last night, firstly, wheel decided to unplug itself just at the start of quali and had to reboot the PC

Oh man, that's unlucky. The same happened to me (in the practice session luckily) but I was bricking it and hoping it wouldn't happen in the race. Looks like the connector in my wheel base is a bit loose. Gonna have a look today and see what causes it.

7 minutes ago, davejm said:

Can you try again?  The website is something down but seems to be working OK now.

Works again, cheers!

On 01/04/2021 at 23:06, davejm said:

Nice one mate! :)  Just one correction... I got fastest lap in the second race!

Amended this in the table as well:

image.png.8d5506c536104ab6a37e9a7cc6632e82.png

I've dropped in the rankings like the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. 

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Oof, so it was Santos who was lagging and causing the high latency judging by the end of that replay?

56 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

@SANtoOos terrified me towards the end. I was coasting around to allow him past (he was 20 secs behind me) because I feared another fuel issue. When he arrived he was skipping around all over the place. At turn 1 I was convinced I would hit one of his many track positions !  

Yup sorry guys! Mr.Ben I was terrified as well. Proposed mod for ACC, quantum polygon radar, only gives you the probability of my car being at any of those multiple positions 

Wandering over here from the wheel thread as I've only just started playing this. I've got a Logitech G920 wheel and just been sinking loads of time into spinning round the Monza track, Italy to learn the ropes. I'm still on practice and gradually learning how it all goes and just managed to finish 10 clean laps without a crash or spin out in a Lambo Evo.  My best track time is around 2.02.60 seconds at the moment, still have the racing line on but I'm really struggling on the first corner after the crowd stand/crane that shoots right then an immediate left. Watching the AI racers they seem to fly around there with no issue but for me the only way I can do it is slowing down to a total crawl in second then trying to speed away right after. 

Looks way to slow in the replay compared to the others but no idea what to do. I've been building speed up to around 245mph then slamming the brakes on around the crane to roll, shift gear on the paddle to get round but there must be a better way. Any suggestions?

I'm not really in a state to go against other racers as the few times I tried practice laps with AI they get bashing me off the road, causing me to spin out.  I'm def improving as I was around 6 minutes on my first few attempts but now down close to 2 :lol: Haven't tackled any other tracks yet!

Also I only bought the main game off eBay (was £20) but it didn't come with any DLC/extra tracks. Should I be buying the rest of them or waiting til I can play it better? Not missing anything major by hanging back a bit?

6 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Also I only bought the main game off eBay (was £20) but it didn't come with any DLC/extra tracks. Should I be buying the rest of them or waiting til I can play it better? Not missing anything major by hanging back a bit?

DLC is either some great tracks or the GT4 car pack which gives you a lot of GT4 cars to drive on the same circuits. I wouldn't say you need to rush to grab them right now while you're learning the ropes unless one of them was something you've long wanted to drive. 

There's a UK GT Cup Championship series I wasn't aware of until today. Multiclass GT racing from GT3s, GT4s, cup cars etc down to Ginettas. First four races were at Donington over the weekend with a 38 car field, well worth a watch. There's an interesting tussle between what looks to be an 80's Porsche 935 and GT3 cars in race 1!

Been playing Assetto Corsa the last few days.  Some older cars with the H pattern shifter.  Although just gone back to ACC for some Oulton Park practice and couldn't even keep it on track, was all over the place after a few days of right foot braking!  

31 minutes ago, davejm said:

Been playing Assetto Corsa the last few days.  Some older cars with the H pattern shifter.  Although just gone back to ACC for some Oulton Park practice and couldn't even keep it on track, was all over the place after a few days of right foot braking!  

That will definitely screw you up. Same when I did the FM7 TT a couple of weeks ago, took me some time again to get adjusted to ACC's kick-the-pedal-through-the-floor forces after FM7's overly sensitive braking.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 12 Round 3 | GT3 Sprint at Barcelona