Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 12 resumes next week at Barcelona

davejm

10 hours ago, Valver said:

Eventually I bashed in a 1.28.6 something (which I was very happy with).  I've decided to post my lap from in-car - looking for any tips on how to improve further (cough @SANtoOosand co).  I feel that for turn 1 my line is wrong -  it seems to vary each lap and I'm not sure what I should be aiming for... 

Looks pretty tidy man! Comparing your lap to what I've seen aliens do, I'd say:

-turn 4 (old hairpin): you were getting understeer in the previous corner (I think @milko picked up on this) and not going to the left of the track early enough on corner entry, very important to get to the left very quick, break early in a straight line, full throttle before the apex and carry on up the hill which is essentially a straight, loads of time to be gained. 

-turn 10 (Melbourne hairpin): you seem to turn towards the apex quite early, almost a V shape with an early apex, I think it's more important to carry the speed through it in a constant (ish) arc

But yeah I also keep driving every lap differently and not sure what's the best way to take a few corners, it's a tough track. Overall had a feeling that you could carry more speed through a few corners and fight the car a little more, something to experiment with in practice but I wouldn't worry about that or change your approach for tomorrow's race :)

Oh yeah, personally I found I gained more time on turns 4 and 7 by braking early and getting on the throttle earlier, but that's subjective. 

donington-park-track-map.jpg

For a brief moment I read "Starkey's 'Straight" on the map as "Sharky's Straight" and thought "why would they name it after him, is he some kind of racing VIP or something?"

I'm still tired after 10 hours of sleep. Hopefully I can stay awake tonight for the race. :(

Guys, does anyone have any issues with a late finish?  I just realised that this is a 90 minute endurance and I think last season we used the weekly practice time to forego the qualifying session on the night, so we could start the race early.  But I've been so busy with work (and poorly) that I haven't been organised enough to define exactly what the plans where.

Can we just stick to the standard endurance week qualifying of 8:15-8:30?  It means the race is going to run later than ever before but I think the only other alternative is to revert back to a 60 minute race as normal.  Thoughts?

I forgot to say, I posted up on the Power Q discord asking if anyone fancied joining us for regular racing.  3 guys have now signed up to the forums.  I've asked them for their usernames so I can try to prod the mods to get them approved (if that's something that I can do!); so hopefully they'll join us soon.

47 minutes ago, davejm said:

Guys, does anyone have any issues with a late finish?  I just realised that this is a 90 minute endurance and I think last season we used the weekly practice time to forego the qualifying session on the night, so we could start the race early.  But I've been so busy with work (and poorly) that I haven't been organised enough to define exactly what the plans where.

Can we just stick to the standard endurance week qualifying of 8:15-8:30?  It means the race is going to run later than ever before but I think the only other alternative is to revert back to a 60 minute race as normal.  Thoughts?

Aye, no complaints from me.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Later finish is fine by me! Thanks man

20 minutes ago, davejm said:

@Meers I know this might make things difficult for you.  What do you think?  I don't think anyone would might changing to 60 mins.

I'm alright with it mate. I'll take a nap with the kids this afternoon. 

Later finish is fine by me :)

2 hours ago, Meers said:

For a brief moment I read "Starkey's 'Straight" on the map as "Sharky's Straight" and thought "why would they name it after him, is he some kind of racing VIP or something?"

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

Top 8! I was mainly told to just put rubber down for my Lexus team mate of course. Glad it worked out. 

:lol: how you finding the Lexus? 

Yeah I'm nervous for tonight! That track scares me a bit, feels like I'm driving most corners different every lap, don't often get this feeling. Pretty exciting at the same time!

The pit lane exit is quite dangerous, I've gotten in the way of people in practice and can see it causing issues in the race, just a thought, good for us all to be aware of that going into T1 and leaving the pits!

Edit: not that I can always drive corners the same, but at least most of the time I'm trying to drive them the same way, in Donington I'm quite often unsure what to do. 

2 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

The pit lane exit is quite dangerous, I've gotten in the way of people in practice and can see it causing issues in the race, just a thought, good for us all to be aware of that going into T1 and leaving the pits!

Crew chief will be a massive help here; it'll warn you when there's a car leaving the pit if you're towards the end of the lap.

God that was hard work. Picked up some aero damage early on which Crew Chief reckoned was minor but I was finding it very hard in high speed sections. Pressures seemed a bit low too, grr. This led to some incredible battles with @Valverand @mrben09, really enjoyed those! Great driving both of you. Trying to defend while I couldn't get round fast corners properly was really intense. Eventually I lost out so I decided to take a long pitstop, change tyres and do bodywork repairs, cost nearly a minute but the difference afterward was night and day, it was actually nice to drive again. Fought my way back into some more good position fights with Valver and Ben and then got a bonus near the end when @davejm lost it near the old hairpin and let me sail on by for 5th. 

Such a tough track for a long race, I'm well jealous of people who can lap that consistently without coming off the track. I had numerous minor excursions throughout. 

Alright. Another round at Donington, another round of connection issues. Last time I was the flying Dutchman, this time I was the disappearing Dutchman. FML. Need to figure out what has caused that.

One thing that I don't have to figure out anymore is my laptop. The extra 8GB of RAM (2 sticks of Kingston 1200Mhz DDR4) and the new cooling pad has given me a 40fps boost. 1080p @ 100fps is quite a bit of overhead so I used the spectating time to test my options.

So it's either 1080p60 with most settings on high/epic or 1440p60 with everything on low except DD, AA, textures (epic) and no mirrors. Hmmm... extra features and fx or extra fidelity? Tough one. Looks really sweet at 1440p60. Can use the A button as a mirror (look back)...hmmm... :sherlock:

Anyway, whilst I'm going to decide that, here's the standings after the last race!

image.thumb.png.67fca4c34dfcc506b7f97d6013a4d22e.png

Congrats to @SANtoOos for the championship win! And @SharkyOB and @davejm for 2nd and 3rd!

It's so close in places!!!

Not my best season, but I will be back for the next one with upgraded hardware! :eyebrows:

What a race - that battle with @mrben09 and @milko was FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!    For over 10 laps, from about lap 8 we just diced and swapped positions constantly.  The replay will show (your honor) that we were mostly pretty clean too.  The odd light bonk here and there - but just brilliant clean hard racing.    Ben - that was some quality defending mate!  Respect. :hat:

And then amusingly Ben and I pitted on the same lap having fuelled our first stint long.  Ben was in the lead but his pit box came up first so I sailed past (waving as I went) revs bouncing off the pitlane limiter.  I didn't take tyres, just fuel - not sure what Ben did, but I got out just ahead.  My finest overtake of the race :lol:

Not sure what happened at the start for me - I qualified 6th, hit drive, saw my car on the grid and then suddenly I got teleported to the pitlane.  Gutted.  Made for an exciting chase as the pack roared away at the start and I had to leave the pitlane from a standstill on blue-cold tyres!

Congrats to @SANtoOos for the race and overall victory!  

And I'm semi-gutted to see that @milko pipped me to an overall 5th place by just 2 points!! 

Highlights video is uploading now - I'll post that shortly...

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 12 resumes next week at Barcelona