Jump to content
IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 4 @ Brands Hatch


davejm
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here's the lap @Meers.  It's quite conservative compared to some of the aggressive laps you see on YT lap guides; so there's lots of time to find if I wanted to throw the car around more.  But it's not really what I'm looking to do; as I just end up binning it if I'm more aggressive with the car.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And I use Sim Dashboard on my phone. You can create your own dashboard, and for fuel I've added widgets for

 

Litres of fuel remaining

Minutes of fuel remaining

L/min usage

 

The latter + 5 extra litres is what I always use to calculate my fuel load.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, davejm said:

Here's the lap @Meers.  It's quite conservative compared to some of the aggressive laps you see on YT lap guides; so there's lots of time to find if I wanted to throw the car around more.  But it's not really what I'm looking to do; as I just end up binning it if I'm more aggressive with the car.

 

 

 

Thanks! Yeah it looks like you can gain even more by cutting more corners and using more of the width of the track. I think you need to be as smooth as possible to carry as much speeds into the straights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Meers how was your 6 hour thing in the end? I checked in on the stream but I think you'd already cancelled it in the end.

 

@Kristian Svenning just to add yet another one, I use an Android app called ACC Strategist on my phone, usually I put in a couple of litres extra just to be safe on top of that. I think rainy races the slower speeds mean you use a fair bit less fuel than the calculators tend to figure on.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, milko said:

@Meers how was your 6 hour thing in the end? I checked in on the stream but I think you'd already cancelled it in the end.

 

Yeah the stream was buffering so I cancelled it. I went through the settings once again afterwards and I think I've fixed the issue (I hope at least).

 

Race didn't go well. We qualified 4th, but in the first lap of the race my colleague Andrew got hit from behind and spun off track. We were in 12th after that, but some good driving on his part got us back in the top 10 after his double stint. When it was my turn for a double stint we were in 14th when I joined the track, the car felt great and I managed to get close to race pace and P12 at some point.

 

I inherited a track limit warning from Andrew, but didn't think much of it. Turns out the track limits on a wet Barcelona track are harsh as fuck. Especially in the left hairpin at the end of sector 2 (with the large run-off area) and coming out of the last chicane (opposite the pit entry), you will be penalised immediately even when coasting or braking before rejoining the track (so without gaining any time from it).

 

So eventually I got a DT and lost 4 places and we were in 16th iirc. I also almost lost it in the downhill section in sector 2 when my rear right tyre clipped the kerbs whilst braking before taking the left hand turn uphill. Lost a place or 2 because of that and managed to do it again a lap later (whilst @Erik gave me some much-needed mental and strategical support as a spectator) but I didn't lose a position then I don't think. I was 18th when we swapped seats again for one hour each this time.

 

Andrew's stint din't go too well. I went for dinner so I didn't catch it all but my understanding was that he tried to overtake someone who kept squeezing him on every attempt. I think they touched and we were in P20 when we swapped seats again and I raced until the finish line in what probably was my best stint of the day. P20 in the end.

 

I really love the rain and how it affects everything, but it sure is a bitch to drive around in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ah yeah, I don't think there are any on iOS, I guess it doesn't have as easy a ride for the hobbyist coders who are into ACC.

 

I can't use the ones that work as overlays ingame as they don't work in Oculus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, davejm said:

Here's the lap @Meers.  It's quite conservative compared to some of the aggressive laps you see on YT lap guides; so there's lots of time to find if I wanted to throw the car around more.  But it's not really what I'm looking to do; as I just end up binning it if I'm more aggressive with the car.

 

 

Really nice lap! You really manage to get the power down early in some corners like less comes and bruxelles.

 

I've come down with the dreaded covid, symptoms are mild so should be good to race on Thursday. Will try to get a but if practice in before if i have the energy, I will be using the setup @Erik made for the 24 hour race, it's focused to be safer to drive in the wet but its what I'm used to now so will be good practice to try become one with the boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Really nice lap! You really manage to get the power down early in some corners like less comes and bruxelles.

 

 

Interesting!  I've been thinking for a while that I'm quite tentative on the throttle, and that my lap times would be better if I were more aggressive and learn to manage the corner exit better.  But nice to get a different perspective, cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me it looked like you have better balance in the car than I can achieve using throttle and braking. If I try to get on power as early as you did specifically in bruxelles I find the car washing way out to the left on corner exit which screw the line for no name. And no braking into no name surprised me, I've always braked in that corner, I'm going to have to see if I can try it without and come of the throttle earlier.

I imagine with eriks suggestion of more wing you could probably be more aggressive in those corners and gain a lot of time still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm already nearly max wing (4 of 5), so I'd be reluctant to go to max.  I guess it depends if a slightly faster sector 2 is quicker overall than the time I'd lose in sectors 1 & 3.  I'm not gonna play around too much now.  With wing at 4 plus the ride height changes I made, it feels really good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah I misread your comment earlier and thought there was still a few more clicks of wing available. I stick with what feels good then like you've got your setup now.

 

1 hour ago, Kristian Svenning said:

@milko @Meers  Cheers guys, but I’m on iPhone and those looked like they were android only. I might look into the one @davejm uses of just hunt around for an app. Even though I should be able to do the calculations myself tbh. But too slow in the head!

I have a spare android phone I'd be happy to ship to you. I would just need to wipe it and wait until I'm not infectious before shipping. You're in Norway right? Looking at the PostNL website it looks to be around €12 to ship a small package.

 

Edit: the glass is cracked but the screen works just fine.

Edited by EuroVapeSim2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Ah I misread your comment earlier and thought there was still a few more clicks of wing available. I stick with what feels good then like you've got your setup now.

 

I have a spare android phone I'd be happy to ship to you. I would just need to wipe it and wait until I'm not infectious before shipping. You're in Norway right? Looking at the PostNL website it looks to be around €12 to ship a small package.

 

Edit: the glass is cracked but the screen works just fine.


Very kind of you to offer but I should have an old android kicking around the house if I really need it. However I’d prefer to have it on my daily phone so I don’t have to have an extra device at hand for races. Will try a couple of other services and if they don’t work I’ll just calculate myself. 

Thanks for the offer though! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:


Very kind of you to offer but I should have an old android kicking around the house if I really need it. However I’d prefer to have it on my daily phone so I don’t have to have an extra device at hand for races. Will try a couple of other services and if they don’t work I’ll just calculate myself. 

Thanks for the offer though! 

 

20220613_170555.thumb.jpg.753ca9382e388a17c19c3bec434686ed.jpg

I keep my simdashboard phone attached to the rig and this phone has the bare minimum on it, I mainly use it as a timing screen but have been adding in extra information on the screen. Been meaning to do setup something similar to meers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

 

20220613_170555.thumb.jpg.753ca9382e388a17c19c3bec434686ed.jpg

I keep my simdashboard phone attached to the rig and this phone has the bare minimum on it, I mainly use it as a timing screen but have been adding in extra information on the screen. Been meaning to do setup something similar to meers.


Nice! That looks like a nice setup. Unfortunately I don’t have a rig and I’m really struggling for space in my hobby room so pretty certain I’ll have to stick to my hybrid super hack setup. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are calculators on the web, so you can just load in the phone browser.

 

The PC app (ACC Engineer) doesn't have an overlay, so I don't use it in the race.  I just have it running and then when I'm done with a practice stint, I flip back to it and it tells me how much fuel I need for whatever length of time that I set. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found an app on App Store that looks pretty accurate, I tested a 30 min stint now against its predictions and I had just under 6 litres left after 30 mins so that looks more accurate than the others. That was for the safe option too so think I’ll be happy with this :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, davejm said:

There are calculators on the web, so you can just load in the phone browser.

 

The PC app (ACC Engineer) doesn't have an overlay, so I don't use it in the race.  I just have it running and then when I'm done with a practice stint, I flip back to it and it tells me how much fuel I need for whatever length of time that I set. 

 

I've had weird trouble* with the Oculus if I task-switch in the past, so I try to avoid doing it. Saying that I managed to load up Discord tonight without an issue so maybe whatever caused it got fixed. 

 

*The game window shrank to a smaller size on the monitor while I was switched out of it. When i went back in it was back to full screen but ingame my mouse seemed to think it was still small, so I couldn't click on anything in the bottom 20% of the screen... which meant I couldn't do setups and stuff. This happened a few times so now I'm always worried it'll do that to me on race night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, milko said:

 

*The game window shrank to a smaller size on the monitor while I was switched out of it. When i went back in it was back to full screen but ingame my mouse seemed to think it was still small, so I couldn't click on anything in the bottom 20% of the screen... which meant I couldn't do setups and stuff. This happened a few times so now I'm always worried it'll do that to me on race night.

I get exactly the same issue with the resize and the mouse - I make sure to have everything running before I start ACC, and then dont touch it again after its started.

 

Nice to see so many people practicing tonight.  9 people on the server!  I managed to improve my time by a second, but so has everyone else it seems, so I've not actually "improved" standing wise.

 

I was messing with rear wing this evening - I cant work out if its better to have it at max wing (to increase grip and turning in the corners) or reduce it to make me more slippery on the long straights.  What I seem to gain in one sector by having a low wing I then loose again in another and it all sort of evens out.  Any advice?

 

As for fuel calculations, I just jot down my lap time, and the fuel burn rate per lap and then do a bit of "back of a fag packet" maths to work it out:

 

This week its a 60 minute race @ about 2.33 mins a lap (2m 20sec converted to decimal minutes)  So thats 26 laps at race pace (I always round up!).  Add one for parade and one for being unluckily placed when @Eric starts his final lap and being forced to do an extra.  Then it is 4.00 litres/lap on map 1 in the Lambo.  So 4 x 28 = 112l.  I then add a bit more for luck - so this week Im going to chuck in 117 litres or so...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Valver said:

 

I was messing with rear wing this evening - I cant work out if its better to have it at max wing (to increase grip and turning in the corners) or reduce it to make me more slippery on the long straights.  What I seem to gain in one sector by having a low wing I then loose again in another and it all sort of evens out.  Any advice?

 

I've got it one off max. Arguably if you're safe enough you might go higher wing to qualify but go lower for race so you can defend/attack on straights? Dunno, I'm unlikely to be safe enough to try!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with @milko, it was fun seeing so many people hop on the server yesterday. I was doing some longer runs and was too knackered after a rough day at work to join the voice chat, but it felt good having people around. 

 

I felt that the Macca was pretty stable and felt safe and controllable in the corners on max wing (could even take eau roughe/radillon flat a couple of times and that´s a first for me), so I´ll probably go for that. At the end I exeperimented lowering the nose and raising the back slightly to regain some turn-in but not sure if I´ll stay with that. Will do some A/B testing and go for what feels best and safest.

 

Did a (for me) long session yesterday, in total 41 laps before I had to yield due to headaches, and i managed to puch myself into the 22´s, and that´s a personal best for me at Spa, so pretty happy with that. I estimate I´ll need a lot more hours to get to the level of the rest of you, but I suspect that´s a matter of getting the hours and laps in. Aim is to try to find another second or two but as long as I can stay consistent around traffic and don´t do any major mistakes in the race, I´ll be satisfied.

 

Good flow around Spa, really love driving it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Valver said:

I was messing with rear wing this evening - I cant work out if its better to have it at max wing (to increase grip and turning in the corners) or reduce it to make me more slippery on the long straights.  What I seem to gain in one sector by having a low wing I then loose again in another and it all sort of evens out.  Any advice?

 

I feel like Spa is one of the few tracks where unless you're going for 2:15 in qualifying its not worth it to use max wing except maybe for McLaren. I noticed you were using 61 % BB so you are probably still on aggressive or safe preset. You might be able to go as low as 55 % to shorten braking zones and help the car to turn in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Been meaning to do setup something similar to meers.

 

Excuse the shitty picture quality, I'm in need of a new phone.

 

20220613_203633.thumb.jpg.547ace5a4de05d4f112958c1ad77c043.jpg

 

It's not very complicated, just a couple of brackets bolted onto the CSL base and a spare silicone phone case fixed to the brackets. I just slot the phone in there.

 

20220613_204444.thumb.jpg.32dcbc261c8f27b3942a45175a2561f6.jpg

 

I have lined up the in-game's dashboard so that the phone covers it from my POV.

 

20220613_203644.thumb.jpg.045440474fe986567c09d70cef221280.jpg

 

And a pic of the new PC with @davejm's 1070 in it. It's being supported by a zebra pencil on the outside corner. 😅

 

More pics of a very shitty quality. My Samsung J6 is showing its age...

 

Spoiler

20220613_203741.thumb.jpg.0c47c0625a844e4bddec085ffe174da7.jpg

 

20220613_203709.thumb.jpg.98d21aec7788e9d345c6a30989243fe1.jpg

 

20220613_203615.thumb.jpg.e88cf0c10789a774d405107278200314.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow - I'm waaaaay off the pace here. 2.26's for ages with a 2.22 the absolute best I can do. Last time it was 2.19's.

 

The M4 feels very different than the Aston that I used last time at Spa. It's quite easy to be flat through Eau Rouge and up the hill which I could never do before.

 

Last night was the first time I attempted some serious laps in the new motion/VR setup and annoyingly I seem to have lost some of my VR legs. Hot flushes and momentary instances of nausea. If the motion rig is making me slower I'll take it though, as the elevation changes feel amazing.

 

Won't get much practice time in this week so I expect I'll be more focused on not throwing up during the race rather than laptimes :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Meers said:

 

Excuse the shitty picture quality, I'm in need of a new phone.

 

20220613_203633.thumb.jpg.547ace5a4de05d4f112958c1ad77c043.jpg

 

It's not very complicated, just a couple of brackets bolted onto the CSL base and a spare silicone phone case fixed to the brackets. I just slot the phone in there.

 

20220613_204444.thumb.jpg.32dcbc261c8f27b3942a45175a2561f6.jpg

 

I have lined up the in-game's dashboard so that the phone covers it from my POV.

 

20220613_203644.thumb.jpg.045440474fe986567c09d70cef221280.jpg

 

And a pic of the new PC with @davejm's 1070 in it. It's being supported by a zebra pencil on the outside corner. 😅

 

More pics of a very shitty quality. My Samsung J6 is showing its age...

 

  Hide contents

20220613_203741.thumb.jpg.0c47c0625a844e4bddec085ffe174da7.jpg

 

20220613_203709.thumb.jpg.98d21aec7788e9d345c6a30989243fe1.jpg

 

20220613_203615.thumb.jpg.e88cf0c10789a774d405107278200314.jpg

 

Nice setup there Meers! 

 

I'll try to take some pics later of my situation with cramming two hobbies into a sub 7 square meter room (music home studio and sim racing) and how I make it somewhat work :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:

Nice setup there Meers! 

 

Takk! I'll make some better pics with mrs. Meers' phone at some point because I don't like how mine turned out. 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Meers said:

 

Takk! I'll make some better pics with mrs. Meers' phone at some point because I don't like how mine turned out. 😅

 

I'll have to downscale the quality of my phone cam as the pics end up being too large for this forum haha. Talking about first world struggles! 😅🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 4 @ Brands Hatch

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.