IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 4 @ Brands Hatch

davejm

4 minutes ago, davejm said:

This was my biggest issue all through the race.  Had to be super careful after I nearly lost it a few times.  Lots of code brown moments.

Really? I was flat out there with no issues. No hairy moments anywhere on the track actually.

2 hours ago, Erik said:

In that left kink over a small crest between 2nd chicane and the hairpin it kept snap oversteering and went sideways every lap.

I had that too. I assumed it was because of using a dry setup in the wet. I assumed it was a little bit of aquaplaning with the low ride height.

I enjoyed the wet race but there was no time between the short practice and qualifying to get setup. I need more time to get into the groove so the reduced schedule really hurt me. After Q i had to quit out of setting up a strategy for race start so was very flustered!

Found the pack was slow at the start and I got really frustrated first couple of laps with the spray being stuck behind and inventively binned it as i could not could not get a rhythm at all. A stop&go and a drive through then destroyed my race.

2 minutes ago, winky said:

I had that too. I assumed it was because of using a dry setup in the wet. I assumed it was a little bit of aquaplaning with the low ride height.

I enjoyed the wet race but there was no time between the short practice and qualifying to get setup. I need more time to get into the groove so the reduced schedule really hurt me. After Q i had to quit out of setting up a strategy for race start so was very flustered!

Found the pack was slow at the start and I got really frustrated first couple of laps with the spray being stuck behind and inventively binned it as i could not could not get a rhythm at all. A stop&go and a drive through then destroyed my race.

I dont know what it was, but my ride heights were quite high at 80 rear and 56 front with max wing, softest rear wheelrates. Maybe it was too soft or high at the rear or something.

On 03/06/2022 at 08:48, milko said:

Did anyone get the highlights? I assume poor old Valver won't have after that badly timed tech disaster. 

Yup, went back in the game yesterday (after a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and rearranging USB stuff in the hope of finding the cause of last weeks instability) and saw that there was no highlights reel saved from that race.    Spent the day messing about in various sims - and the PC/wheel/USB was as good as gold throughout.  🤞

Did a bit of "Wet Snet" practice this morning.  The Lambo is quite playful when you're ready and expecting wet weather.  Managed a 2.02 something.  There are a couple of corners where if I've not braked quite enough a boot full of power mid-corner pivots the car a bit more and actually helped me get round the corner without ploughing off at the corner exit. 

Loads of time still to be had - I was 0.73 up in one sector, and then stuffed up the  3rd sector and chucked away all my gains.

I reckon @Erik will comfortably do a sub 2 minutes. 

Thinking of toning down the rain settings; as they're pretty excessive.  I'll leave it as is for now, until some other people have tried.  But it just doesn't feel at all fun with things as they are.  It's just excessive sliding even with TC values turned up.

On 04/06/2022 at 12:58, davejm said:

Thinking of toning down the rain settings; as they're pretty excessive.  I'll leave it as is for now, until some other people have tried.  But it just doesn't feel at all fun with things as they are.  It's just excessive sliding even with TC values turned up.

I'm all for leaving them as they are. Loving the challenge of finding a new way of driving (slow in, tokyo drift out). Interestingly, I'm not any quicker with a dedicated wet setup than I am with my dry setup with wet tyres. But with the wet setup the car is a lot more forgiving and easy to keep on the track.

This was quite handy - https://coachdaveacademy.com/tutorials/how-to-setup-your-car-for-the-wet-in-assetto-corsa-competizione/  I got a dry setup that was ok, then followed the suggestions on that.

8 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

I'm all for leaving them as they are. Loving the challenge of finding a new way of driving (slow in, tokyo drift out). Interestingly, I'm not any quicker with a dedicated wet setup than I am with my dry setup with wet tyres. But with the wet setup the car is a lot more forgiving and easy to keep on the track.

This was quite handy - https://coachdaveacademy.com/tutorials/how-to-setup-your-car-for-the-wet-in-assetto-corsa-competizione/  I got a dry setup that was ok, then followed the suggestions on that.

Even though I’m probably the most dangerous driver in these conditions I’m also for keeping the settings as they are, purely for the challenge to HAVE to learn how to drive and set up in the wet. 

Thanks to the legend that is Erik, I got some tips on how to set up the car and how to improve my driving in these conditions so I’ve improved more than I imagined I would (even though I’m still off pace by a margin), but nevertheless I feel that a challenge like this is refreshing in a season like ours, making things unsafe and challenging. I still remember the midnight at Monza with Powerq and I’m not sure I’d remember it if it wasn’t for the sheer fear and terror and loss of everything grip🤣

Anyway, my word shouldn’t count as I’m the slowest and most dangerous in any conditions but I’ve started to feel that Wet Snet has a somewhat….charm to it….😅

2 hours ago, Valver said:

Don't do yourself a disservice - you are not the slowest.  @davejm is! 

image.png.f40d24f9ab07983fce64dea6a04f9dcc.png

Not selling myself short, just stating the general truth. No doubt David will find more pace in a few more laps. I AM the slowest and the least experienced driver here, but my aim and hope is to practice enough so I can become quicker and start battling and challenging at least a few of you 😄

Really appreciate this group, love how friendly you all are. 

Achievement unlocked: went faster than Erik in fewer laps :omg:

That wasn’t a perfect lap either, still some more time to gain here and there. 

Needless to say, I think the current rain level is fine too :)

40 minutes ago, milko said:

Achievement unlocked: went faster than Erik in fewer laps :omg:

Nice!

But also...

image.png.dfc2f59e95c4c0494b10fae4fd355eb6.png

...he goes even faster when he's angry!

Yes I'm fully expecting him to turn in a 1.59.00 by tomorrow now. Also I had 42 litres of fuel on at the time which I'm sure is only half what he's been carrying.

Here's a video of the lap anyway, might as well share my technique. Setup is default Wet with the tyre pressure adjusted and TC/ABS dropped a bit. Brake early, coast a lot, short shift when accelerating out of slow corners or near kerbs to try and stop the TC from getting too involved in proceedings. And then that fun couple of corners (Brundle and Nelson) at the end of Bentley straight are usually where people can find time, dry or wet. I really don't know what to do about Coram in these conditions, I would not be surprised to hear of a faster way through it than this.

On 04/06/2022 at 12:53, Valver said:

I reckon @Erik will comfortably do a sub 2 minutes. 

None of us has done a sub 2min time yet. Not sure if it's possible in these conditions.

image.png.d703fa6abfa4fbc8bd5675f246ad4353.png

@davejm, I'd rather you left the current conditions as they are too. Loving it!

11 hours ago, milko said:

Here's a video of the lap anyway

That's a very good lap, Mike!

8 minutes ago, davejm said:

Welcome to @Ruud Mulders who's joined us from over at simracing.gp 👍

Welkom, @Ruud Mulders. Meer Nederlanders is altijd goed! 😄

I tested my livestream again last night, and I think I've got the chat thing sorted now. I've done some practice on a very wet Catalunya for RCI first (6h fully wet race come Saturday). It was pissing down and everyone stayed in the pits so the water kept accumulating. Still, our setup feels safe which is the most important thing.

Afterwards, I tried to set a decent lap at Snetterton and I think I did alright, although there's still lots of time to be gained by driving better lines. Here's my fastest lap.

Just now, Meers said:

None of us has done a sub 2min time yet. Not sure if it's possible in these conditions.

Seems to be possible. And if there are 10 cars on track displacing water it becomes like 2 seconds faster.

4 minutes ago, Erik said:

Seems to be possible. And if there are 10 cars on track displacing water it becomes like 2 seconds faster.

True. But the unfortunate thing is that I was alone on track haha!

I'll definitely leave the settings alone now, cheers guys.  I started that first practice and thought "this is a disaster, and the guys will hate me".  So as long as you're happy that's cool.  It's just my own disastrous pace in the rain that I need to work on now 😆

The actual race will have variation, so the rain could be less or worse 🤪

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

I'll definitely leave the settings alone now, cheers guys.  I started that first practice and thought "this is a disaster, and the guys will hate me".

Never!

Rain is part of racing. Looking forward to the 6h wet race this Saturday actually. Will be doing that with our team mate from Florida (it's just the 2 of us this time).

I need another evening setting up several pit scenarios for Snetterton come to think of it.

18 hours ago, milko said:

Yes I'm fully expecting him to turn in a 1.59.00 by tomorrow now. Also I had 42 litres of fuel on at the time which I'm sure is only half what he's been carrying.

Here's a video of the lap anyway, might as well share my technique. Setup is default Wet with the tyre pressure adjusted and TC/ABS dropped a bit. Brake early, coast a lot, short shift when accelerating out of slow corners or near kerbs to try and stop the TC from getting too involved in proceedings. And then that fun couple of corners (Brundle and Nelson) at the end of Bentley straight are usually where people can find time, dry or wet. I really don't know what to do about Coram in these conditions, I would not be surprised to hear of a faster way through it than this.

Great lap, man! Thanks for sharing 😀

7 hours ago, davejm said:

I'll definitely leave the settings alone now, cheers guys.  I started that first practice and thought "this is a disaster, and the guys will hate me".  So as long as you're happy that's cool.  It's just my own disastrous pace in the rain that I need to work on now 😆

The actual race will have variation, so the rain could be less or worse 🤪

Nothing but love from here, in a slightly reserved and awkward Scandinavian way, of course 😀

It’s a challenge to drive in the rain, both driving technique wise and setup wise, and I’m certain that fighting through the challenges of a wet track makes us better drivers in the end. Of course, for a rookie like me I find it immensely difficult but at the same time I relish the learning and the challenge. And I love listening to the rain from within the car looking out at the track. That’s what growing up in Northern Norway does to you 😅🌧

17 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:

I love listening to the rain from within the car looking out at the track. That’s what growing up in Northern Norway does to you 😅🌧

Same here. The weather in NL is shit at the moment, this morning I yelled

image.png.94005f01f81c8d1e8c3c20791a8b8258.png

When I opened the curtains in my office.

image.thumb.png.30b3fa618470b7c14708a20dc7a678d7.png

It's bloody November, but with leaves still on the trees. (yes, that's a canal and a dedicated cycling path behind it.)

12 minutes ago, Meers said:

Same here. The weather in NL is shit at the moment, this morning I yelled

image.png.94005f01f81c8d1e8c3c20791a8b8258.png

When I opened the curtains in my office.

image.thumb.png.30b3fa618470b7c14708a20dc7a678d7.png

It's bloody November, but with leaves still on the trees. (yes, that's a canal and a dedicated cycling path behind it.)

Looks nice though, plenty of green :)

58 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

I want to get involved. How do I get involved. I have the game and a wheel! Even an oculus headset if that’s required.

Hey, @davejm..

giphy.gif.7cbe9cd600aad966b0e4149204eb66a4.gif

Dave'll point you in the right direction, but basically, we congregate in this thread, and in here https://beta.simracing.gp/communities/yhRbHTPRAZwJqbJakJneM#events

There's also a discord channel that we use to chat on race days.

Welcome!

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 4 @ Brands Hatch