IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 4 @ Brands Hatch

davejm

Shame about the many technical problems and Dave's SG30 penalty as field looked very even in pace. I think it could have been very close from P2 to P9.

Nice job @Meers looks like the many practice hours and race experience are starting to pay off in pace and consistency.

Thanks for a wonderful evening of racing guys.  Was great to have @Erik and @Kristian Svenning with us again, and nice to have Alex onboard.  Hopefully he'll join the forum, and also join us for more races in the future.

I'm loving the Audi.  My race went pear-shaped due to the SG30, but had lots of fun trying to keep up with @Meers and fending off Alex, and then after the penalty I had some good battling with @SneakyNinja.  Should have held on for that extra position at the end, but it was damage limitations anyway.  Need to spend more time practicing pit stops.

The server is configured for Zolder.  Looking forward to seeing how the Audi behaves on the curbs.

Well done everyone, especially @Meers who seems to have kept a version of the pre-nerffed BMW ;) 

Strange race for me - the highlights basically show my progress from 4th back down to 8th during the first half. The car felt AWFUL. Loads of understeer, unpredictable on corner exits which resulted in my hitting the wall and damaging the front aero making it even worse. I was lapping in the 1.52's for the first 30 mins.

It felt much better after the pit stop. Maybe the higher pressures helped.. dunno. It was still unpredictable on the brakes but the understeer had gone.

So a crap drive for me really, but I'm glad I managed to channel my inner Hamilton and have a word with myself. I was very close to bailing in the first half but forced a mental reset to get my head down and get on top of the car. Good to battle with @davejm at the end :)

11 hours ago, milko said:

Long minutes of empty road boredom later I stacked it on the penultimate lap and made @Meers shout at me again while I was getting out of the way towards the wall (but appreciate I'll have looked very dangerous at the time since I'd just come back off from it!). 

I didn't mean to shout mate, so I apologise if it may have come across that way. It was more an anxious warning cry as I saw you attempting to turn the car straight again. To prevent worse things from happening, like.

I did let go of the throttle too because of the yellow flag, hence Alex closing the gap on me afterwards. 

1 hour ago, Erik said:

Nice job @Meers looks like the many practice hours and race experience are starting to pay off in pace and consistency.

59 minutes ago, davejm said:

Indeed, it's great seeing @Meers at the front :)

7 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Well done everyone, especially @Meers who seems to have kept a version of the pre-nerffed BMW ;) 

Thanks lads. For the record, I didn't use the RCI setup because that one didn't suit my driving style so I binned it. I used and altered the default safe setup, which feels just right for me.

I had some good consistency going on, which helped my pace as well. The endurance racing (and those 3 cups of coffee I had beforehand) might be helping me with my focus. 😅

Great racing everyone! Good to see Erik and Kristian back, and Alex is most welcome to race with us again too. See you guys on Zolder! 

4 minutes ago, Meers said:

I didn't mean to shout mate, so I apologise if it may have come across that way. It was more an anxious warning cry as I saw you attempting to turn the car straight again. To prevent worse things from happening, like.

No problem I totally get it, and in fact welcomed the shout don't worry. Was good to know people were approaching.

4 minutes ago, Meers said:

The endurance racing (and those 3 cups of coffee I had beforehand) might be helping me with my focus. 

I could do with working on this. Don't have much time to endurance race and 3 cups of coffee would do my stomach no good at all, I wonder what alternatives I could figure out.

3 hours ago, davejm said:

The server is configured for Zolder.  Looking forward to seeing how the Audi behaves on the curbs.

Front ride height 60-65 mm 😉

5 hours ago, milko said:

3 cups of coffee would do my stomach no good at all

Oh I didn't take all 3 right after each other, just one before dinner, one after and one half an hour before practice. Say, an hour in between each cuppa. I don't drink that much coffee normally, so it has a pretty big effect on my alertness. 😶

For what its worth heres what I think was my best lap of the event, 1:48.177 and the final lap of the race. Still far from perfect as I miss apex in Lesmo 1 and I see I probably could have carried a bit more speed everywhere, especially in Ascari. Notice top speed on the pit straight: 281 km/h or 175 mph!!

https://streamable.com/8ez5ra

I reviewed best laps of some of you who turned low-mid 1:49s and they were not bad at all. Its difficult to find speed around Monza, one needs to be very precise and any mistake or km/h not carried through a corner or track left unused in exits will cost tons of time as most corners are followed by long straights.

We're currently on our honeymoon trip, back by Tuesday. No idea if I can get some practice done before the race. 😅

No exotic pics though. We're in good old Dutchland. Unless you want pics of windmills and cows...

43 minutes ago, Meers said:

We're currently on our honeymoon trip, back by Tuesday. No idea if I can get some practice done before the race. 😅

No exotic pics though. We're in good old Dutchland. Unless you want pics of windmills and cows...

Nice one dude, enjoy.

We just need to hop on the practice server to see windmills :D

11 hours ago, davejm said:

Nice one dude, enjoy.

We just need to hop on the practice server to see windmills :D

Yeah but those are of the newfangled type, not the ones I have in mind. 😅

On 11/03/2022 at 18:47, Ry said:

I will take it bud!

Been thinking of getting the game in Xbox as there's been an update but wouldn't mind playing it on my steam deck when it arrives. 

Is there cross platform play out of curiosity?

Have you got your Deck now, Ry?

My new PC really doesn't want to run smoothly for me, whether it be discord or ACC. Got my mic issues sorted over the weekend with a fresh install of Windows and all the drivers, but then today I had no FFB when I jumped on the practice server. In and out of the game a couple times and verifying game files and just having to reinstall drivers in the end and in my frustration didn't save my settings from before. I have it pretty close again but almost no time putting laps in, boatley should be great around zolder eating up the kerbs so really hoping practice over the next couple days goes a bit better.

Ugh, PCs not quite working are so frustrating. 

Reacquainting myself with Zolder has been amusing. Damn that first chicane! I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, did a low 1.29 offline but it's still a bit of a lottery for that bit. I've at least got to a point where it doesn't kill me, but I can gain or lose almost half a second on it without really knowing what I did differently. Maybe I need to study the replays. 

12 hours ago, milko said:

Cool. I’ll PM that ACC code when I can dig it out then. 

Brilliant. Thanks! 

9 hours ago, milko said:

Reacquainting myself with Zolder has been amusing. Damn that first chicane! I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, did a low 1.29 offline but it's still a bit of a lottery for that bit. I've at least got to a point where it doesn't kill me, but I can gain or lose almost half a second on it without really knowing what I did differently. Maybe I need to study the replays. 

Exactly where I am too!

Weirdly, I'm getting the exact same lap times from the safe and aggressive default setups. I've saved a replay of one of my fastest laps, but I can't see how it's different to the slower ones. I've been putting it off, but I'm getting dangerously close to using the MoTec stuff to see what I'm doing differently.

7 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Exactly where I am too!

Weirdly, I'm getting the exact same lap times from the safe and aggressive default setups. I've saved a replay of one of my fastest laps, but I can't see how it's different to the slower ones. I've been putting it off, but I'm getting dangerously close to using the MoTec stuff to see what I'm doing differently.

I often find safe presets with small adjustments to be better than aggressive. I think the slower the track the less setups matter.

10 hours ago, milko said:

Ugh, PCs not quite working are so frustrating. 

Yeah this new build was supposed to solve all my problems in ACC and stop the stutters I was experiencing on my old CPU which it has but now everything else breaks 🤷‍♂️

I will be getting on for a bit of practice later and with FFB fixed from last night I should finally be able to get laps in 🤞 

what did you go for in the end? I've been contemplating that fancy new 5800x3D if I have any money in a month or two's time. Then I start wondering if getting the tail end of a generation is a bad idea since the next set will also need the new motherboard/RAM etc. But I don't upgrade often so it probably will anyway! Then I get tired of researching and just don't bother.

37 minutes ago, Erik said:

I often find safe presets with small adjustments to be better than aggressive. I think the slower the track the less setups matter.

Interesting. Because I'm a fantastic driver* I've always just gone for the aggressive setup first without really thinking about it. It was @Meers's offhand comment last week about running the BMW safe setup that made me try it.

*of course not.

It's ages since I tried it but I never found them 'pointy' enough for my style, I understeered everywhere. Probably half the things I've done to my Zolder setup have been taking it back towards safe (ride height, wheel rates etc), I will have to check.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 4 @ Brands Hatch