IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 4 @ Brands Hatch

davejm

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Wow, looks close! That's a super lap, Dave. I'm really itching to get to try this with my wheel again soon :)

Might spectate the race 👀 - looks like it's going to be really close.

Variable weather with a 4x time multiplier, and with the cloudy base conditions there's a high chance of rain.  So should be fun to watch! :)

10 hours ago, milko said:

I think Ben said he was going to watch West Ham play football, which seems like a poor choice but my opinion's coloured by that being day-job work for me.

You have got to explain this now.

And I'm sure I forgot to mention plenty of other guys there.

10 hours ago, milko said:

Good points! I think Ben said he was going to watch West Ham play football, which seems like a poor choice but my opinion's coloured by that being day-job work for me. @willmill though, it's been a while, how are you going mate?

Fine thanks Milko, I’ve kind of given up with the racing, I had 8 weeks last season when I was on nightshirt when I didn’t touch the wheel and when I came back to it, I was back to square one, spinning off the track, slow, so decided to give it up. Wheel is now in a cupboard gathering dust, now that the winter is coming in, thinking of getting it back out and trying again, so you may see me at the back of the grid at some point (probably at the start of the next season)

1 hour ago, Meers said:

You have got to explain this now.

58 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

@milko , I'm intrigued as well. Please don't tell me you are Karen Brady !

It's not very exciting really. I'm just one of the most hated club chief execs in the land we run the LED advertising boards at the stadium and a few things like that. My job's mostly organising the design of (many of) the ads but also managing it all and some of the technical aspects of the hardware and software. Not just West Ham, but they are one of ours. I don't have to go along to matches very often these days, although I'll be doing the two NFL London games soon. 

Love the NFL games in London , just a shame no Raiders this year. Having had a season ticket for many years I have noticed a difference in pitch side advertising. I'm assuming your Mandarin and Korean is getting better every day.

What ever happened to Fred's Cars - cut and shuts a specialty !   

Too true.

Anyway, I look to tonight visiting the London Stadium in conjunction with Heineken, Betway and the UK Taxpayer, to enjoy the Europa League Matchday 2 in conjunction with Heineken (again), Just Eat, Hankook Tires and Enterprise rent a car.

I don't even like Heineken. Apart from outside of the UK interestingly. 

2 hours ago, mrben09 said:

I don't even like Heineken. Apart from outside of the UK interestingly. 

That is interesting. I don't like Heineken either and it's no better over here in Dutchland. If you want a good Dutch lager, try Hertog Jan or Amstel. Or Kordaat from the Lidl.

1 hour ago, Erik said:

For once I hope it'll rain 😅

I tried a little rain practice last night offline, just to see how things went if I was perhaps driving in dry conditions and then some rain came in, should I try to carry on driving or pit for wets. That sort of thing.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't rain! Also, spoiler, I'll most likely pit for wets. Might as well have been driving on ice when using my dry setup even with TC right up.

Hi guys, sorry been quiet here, work is getting back to normal (thankfully) and this really gets in the way of the racing (unfortunately). 

Being freelance, my hours change almost everyday and I gotta take up any opportunities that come my way!

I think I'll be able to make the next race, but probs not much practicing :(

Good luck tonight! 

Well, I'm not sure how to feel about tonight's race.

Looking at the replay it looks brilliant - loads of overtakes and so much action throughout the field.  The rather unfortunate incident between @milko and @Erik at the first turn gifted me second place.  I held on to that, but actually had a fairly lonely race as I maintained a gap to whoever was in third (it changed a few times).  At about the half way point I had to pit for fuel.  I came out in 4th and assumed the guys now ahead of me would also have to pit.  I drove on alone for another 20 minutes or so convinced I'd head past the pits and see the places gifted back to me.  But I was very wrong.  They'd already pitted (because of the accident and damage early on maybe?) and they had both caught and overtaken me.  Arse. I was genuinely gutted.  I could practically taste the champagne 😆  

Then in the dying minutes of the race I got caught, and had an excellent multi-lap battle with @Count Buffalos. I was staying ahead *just*, thanks to carrying more speed each lap through the chicane after the hairpin, but eventually he got a decent run on me after the sector 1 left hander, and I dropped to 5th.

Which is where I finished.  I somehow feel disappointed, despite that being a decent result.

Congrats to @Erik for having that spin, then going from last to first and winning!

Here's the replay - Youtube is currently processing the HD version - so be patient if it still looks low rez.

And look what tonight's race does for the championship standings!

Wow, so close over the top 5!

leaderboard.jpg

Ah shit, looking at that T1 replay I was not as close to the inside of the track as I thought at the time, sorry @Erik. Bit of a weird race for me, I caught a few bumps here and there but in the end what really did for me was two fairly hefty crashes that didn't involve anyone else, just silly mistakes. The second one meant I ended up driving alone for a good two thirds of the race probably. My race tactics of a long first stint on heavy fuel did not turn out well this time, I was getting picked off easily and struggling for control. 

Two races in a row where I've qualified really well and then quickly ended up out of the significant running. Bah. Still good fun but I thought I'd practiced enough to do well this time. In the end I think I got worse at the first corner the longer I drove!

18 minutes ago, milko said:

Ah shit, looking at that T1 replay I was not as close to the inside of the track as I thought at the time, sorry @Erik.

I think it was your fault - but you clearly had the faster corner entry and were gaining ground into the turn.  @Erik turns in for the apex and you just clip him and spin both of you 45 degrees.  Unfortunate, and not malicious, and he went on to win - so don't feel too bad 😉 

Qualifying was a mess for me. I had about half a PSI too high pressures and then I stayed too long on the track trying to improve instead of fixing pressures after first couple of attempts. Coming out again there was space and time for only one lap with warm tyres, and I of course I invalidated it. Thats what happens when you dont do your homework. 😉

In the start Milko ran wide and turned me around, but that was of course not malicious at all. It was probably the bumps, and being on the inside across the track from racing line he may have missed his braking and turning point a bit. I didnt hold brakes enough and was collected by 2 more cars and fell to the back. Fortunately it looked like I came off by far the worst when it came to both damage and lost positions. I could feel there was too much damage in the rear so I boxed immediately for 14 seconds of repairs.

I got to drive alone mostly and had pretty good pace, though not as good as I had had in practice week ago, and looking at the minimap I could see I was gaining on the leaders. I kept avoiding certain curbs and insides of corners to keep pressure in tyres. At one point I still hit the grass in T4 and lost 10 seconds or so rallycrossing in the infield. In the end my pace was enough to be right on Yannik's tail as he exited pits, and I overtook him in the Shell Oil hairpin! A lap later my tyres finally gave up but it was just enough. 😎

dt2w0n51k0w61.thumb.jpeg.df587d5c5dfc8b8b3793b568c2fe8ae2.jpeg

Well that was a rollercoaster of a race for me. I just managed to fix my sound problems before the start of the race (using a bluetooth dongle for my Stealth600, it sometimes loses connection). I only hit the start button 3 seconds before the formation lap. But I was dealt a lucky card when a couple of you guys crashed, so I went from 10th to 6th in the first lap. In lap 2 @SharkyOB managed to do a brave and well-judged overtake on me in the Shell hairpin, impressive stuff.

You were much faster than me anyway so when you overtook me I could almost hear you say: a778a0e7-5047-4a5c-97a7-fa59a0e22214_text.gif

But I still managed to latch on to @milko and @Count Buffalos somewhat, with quite a gap to the group behind. Everything went well, my rears were a bit too hot at 28.4 PSI which made the car slide a bit but I had good pace and the new wheel feels comfortable and very precise.

Until a couple of laps later (I forget which one) where I hit the kerb on the inside of turn 1 a bit too much. And because I was already on the throttle when that happened, with the wheel still turned, I oversteered when the car bumped over the kerb. So I had to get out of there quickly, because there was a flock of cars incoming. I crossed the pit exit and went onto the grass on the right hand side, aiming to safely join the track again.

Then all of a sudden I got hit. HARD. I was completely baffled to find that @SneakyNinja had torpedoed into me at full speed, on that side of the track. I immediately assumed that he had spun out as well, like I had (because that kerb is a bastard). What are the odds of such a thing happening?! So after the race I immediately checked the replay before heading to bed, and here's what happened:

Suffice it to say, my car's bodywork and suspension was FUBAR after that. I couldn't even make it through Island bend as you can see in the clip, so I limped back into the pits for repairs and a refill. That took about a minute and a half whilst I sat there frustrating the hell out of myself hearing everyone drive by.

So carrying on (because you don't ever give up) I found myself in 10th again, and in the middle of nowhere. The car was pretty well repaired, but I could feel something was off (and some of you have witnessed that yourselves) and it was very oversteery under braking. So I tried to turn the BB back a bit, which seemed to fix it. I managed to do consistent laps again. At the end of the race I noticed that @winky hadn't pitted yet so I had a chance to finish in 9th, and I eventually did.

I guess that's (sim) racing, innit? Better luck next time. It was an amazing to watch @Erik and @Yannik blast past (did I obey the blue flag correctly?) and fight it out in front of me in the last 2 laps of the race. Amazing stuff! Congrats to all the podium finishers!

After an abysmal quali, I had a really exciting race. I was promoted to 3rd due the first corner shenanigans, however I couldn’t quite keep on Valver’s pace in the early going and a couple of errors on my part didn’t help. The shape of Shark’s Ferrari inexorably grew larger in my mirrors and although he was clearly faster than me we had a good tussle for a few laps. However, I found hard racing and trying to sort out pit requirements too difficult and decided to let him through at Hislop’s lest a lose concentration.

After my stop, I came out of the pits behind Winky and we had a good tussle and I finally got the overtake done into Lodge Corner. However, with the cooling temperatures my off side tyres were well under pressure for the rest of the race - I even thought I had a puncture at one point.

My battle of the day was then with Valver, making up 5 seconds to hassle him for well over 10 laps. It was a really good fight, each of my laps hindered by my ponderous way of taking the Britten’s chicane. Two laps from the end I got a really good run through Old Hall Corner and down through Cascades. I also think that Valver needed to be a bit hesitant on the throttle and I was able to make the pass on him going through Island Bend. However, that wasn’t then end of the drama, as I then got an unexpected low fuel warning. This slowed my pace whilst I tried to sort out the maths and Valver had a bit of a go into Hislop’s, but he was too far back to make it stick. To come home in 4th was more than I was expecting really, and the racing was excellent.

Discord booted me just prior to the start, was everyone else ok?

@Meers I had a pretty good view of that one, thinking "oh damn, Meers is off, here's a place back for me" and then suddenly SneakyNinja seeming to veer off like a torpedo to hit you amidships. At that point I was still hopeful of salvaging good points but I soon smacked the same wall and had to limp around for repairs too.

@Count BuffalosI got dropped from discord in quali at some point. Can't really switch to sorting it from vr easily so I had to leave it til after the race. 

Everyone got booted from Discord, it seems.  Only Meers was on there when I reconnected.

I had a shocker, and really didn't enjoy the evening.  It was nice chatting to you guys as always, but with the way things are at the moment I really need to enjoy my racing if I'm going to bother and tonight I hated almost every minute of it.  I felt erratic as soon as I started practice; and all of the practice I went through to get the hang of some of the trickier sections was out of the window.  I only had a couple of days without practice, but it was like all my muscle memory had gone.

The race itself was a total fuck up.  I forgot to sort my pressures for the change in conditions, and when I exited the setup screen the game hung for much longer than normal so I couldn't hit drive in time so was booted to the pits.  It didn't really get any better from there.  The car felt awful, and I had a few scrapes with folk.  Apologies to those I encountered on track; I think I probably annoyed all of you that I came across in some way or another.

Well, this was a good one for me if you look strictly at the results. P2 and not even half a second behind @Erik? I'd take that any day.

Still, a bit of a tough one to swallow. I have no idea how I managed to get pole as I had struggled to get below 1:35 just the day before, but the car felt really good and I felt like a good race was possible.

It was - I was nervous about having to battle with Erik all race, but that lasted not even until the first corner when I saw mayhem unfold in my mirrors. From there, it was a relatively uneventful race with a few slight errors here and there, but nothing major (and a slight scare when @Meers, I think, spun right in front of me but I managed to avoid him). The gap to P2 increased slightly until I went to pit with 8 minutes or so left - that's when Erik reappeared on the scoreboard. I had wondered where he went, but I came out of the pits right in front of him - only to slide slightly wide in the hairpin and lose the position. I tried putting on the pressure, but it wasn't enough.

Having lead all day, P2 felt a bit disappointing, but I know it really shouldn't as it's a great result. Hats off to Erik, that was a remarkable drive! And to everyone else as well, from my POV, it was not a particularly incident-laden race, which I thought Oulton would produce for sure due to the bumps and such.

Plus, it was great to see @davejm back in action! Glad you were around, mate :)

As a fellow struggler at the moment with practice (and quali) pace not being matched by race performance @davejm, are we maybe trying too hard? I dunno, in Hungary I could've driven for hours without a problem but everywhere since has been a bit (or a lot, Bathurst) tougher. 

I have this idea that maybe forgetting about gunning for the top positions will mean the drive gets easier and they might even follow anyway, same as how braking earlier for corners often leads to better laptimes. But then the red mist descends...

How you approach things in your head is definitely a thing, even subconsciously. I noticed that at Oulton as well, during practice (and quali, to an extent) I pushed hard for the best possible laptime and spun a bunch of times. In the race, this didn't happen, probably because I knew in the back of my mind that it would cost me.

I think a relaxed approach is ideal most of the time, find your pace, do your thing and see what happens. That's easier said than done, unfortunately, so I totally get where you're coming from, @milko!

1 hour ago, Meers said:

dt2w0n51k0w61.thumb.jpeg.df587d5c5dfc8b8b3793b568c2fe8ae2.jpeg

Well that was a rollercoaster of a race for me. I just managed to fix my sound problems before the start of the race (using a bluetooth dongle for my Stealth600, it sometimes loses connection). I only hit the start button 3 seconds before the formation lap. But I was dealt a lucky card when a couple of you guys crashed, so I went from 10th to 6th in the first lap. In lap 2 @SharkyOB managed to do a brave and well-judged overtake on me in the Shell hairpin, impressive stuff.

You were much faster than me anyway so when you overtook me I could almost hear you say: a778a0e7-5047-4a5c-97a7-fa59a0e22214_text.gif

But I still managed to latch on to @milko and @Count Buffalos somewhat, with quite a gap to the group behind. Everything went well, my rears were a bit too hot at 28.4 PSI which made the car slide a bit but I had good pace and the new wheel feels comfortable and very precise.

Until a couple of laps later (I forget which one) where I hit the kerb on the inside of turn 1 a bit too much. And because I was already on the throttle when that happened, with the wheel still turned, I oversteered when the car bumped over the kerb. So I had to get out of there quickly, because there was a flock of cars incoming. I crossed the pit exit and went onto the grass on the right hand side, aiming to safely join the track again.

Then all of a sudden I got hit. HARD. I was completely baffled to find that @SneakyNinja had torpedoed into me at full speed, on that side of the track. I immediately assumed that he had spun out as well, like I had (because that kerb is a bastard). What are the odds of such a thing happening?! So after the race I immediately checked the replay before heading to bed, and here's what happened:

Suffice it to say, my car's bodywork and suspension was FUBAR after that. I couldn't even make it through Island bend as you can see in the clip, so I limped back into the pits for repairs and a refill. That took about a minute and a half whilst I sat there frustrating the hell out of myself hearing everyone drive by.

So carrying on (because you don't ever give up) I found myself in 10th again, and in the middle of nowhere. The car was pretty well repaired, but I could feel something was off (and some of you have witnessed that yourselves) and it was very oversteery under braking. So I tried to turn the BB back a bit, which seemed to fix it. I managed to do consistent laps again. At the end of the race I noticed that @winky hadn't pitted yet so I had a chance to finish in 9th, and I eventually did.

I guess that's (sim) racing, innit? Better luck next time. It was an amazing to watch @Erik and @Yannik blast past (did I obey the blue flag correctly?) and fight it out in front of me in the last 2 laps of the race. Amazing stuff! Congrats to all the podium finishers!

Sorry @Meers.

I've no idea what happened there, other than the fact I became a Meers-seeking missile as I rounded the first corner. Even worse was that the lack off comms meant I couldn't apologise as it happened. 

No consolation but it was a shit show of a race for me as well, and I'm joining the @davejm and @milko club of not really enjoying this at the moment.

I went off track a few times on the warm up lap as I tried looking 'under' my VR headset down my nose at the screen to try and connect to Discord again, but failed - so I was all flustered come the race start. Then I got tagged at the rear and spun out in the first corner incident which damaged the aero of my car, making it unstable in higher speed corners, and lower speed corners and worse - unpredictable. I think I hit Meers because the rear went unexpectedly in T1 and from the replay I can see I was on the brakes as soon as it happened but there was no saving it.

Over the last few seasons I've seen everyone else improve whilst I stay stuck with the same lap times and lack of improvement. It's a character flaw of mine that I get *really* frustrated when I can't do something, and I can't improve my pace. Which then means I don't want to practice as I don't enjoy it which makes things worse.

I did enjoy my tussles with @davejm last night, and I hope my early braking and unpredictability wasn't too much of a factor in your incidents. In fact, I love the wheel to wheel racing with you guys, but until I can at least identify what I need to improve on, it's getting less fun overall.

In short, shit race, really sorry Meers and let's hope for good one for us all next time.

15 minutes ago, milko said:

@Meers I had a pretty good view of that one, thinking "oh damn, Meers is off, here's a place back for me" and then suddenly SneakyNinja seeming to veer off like a torpedo to hit you amidships. At that point I was still hopeful of salvaging good points but I soon smacked the same wall and had to limp around for repairs too.

Yeah I saw you careering into the wall in turn 3 whilst watching the replay. Unlucky mate. But since you're a Macca driver as well, do you experience some awkward behaviour as well sometimes? The 720S seems a real stable car, but sometimes and without any big reason the rear end steps out (mainly under trail braking) whilst it didn't do that before (same line, same corner etc).

10 minutes ago, davejm said:

Everyone got booted from Discord, it seems.  Only Meers was on there when I reconnected.

Yeah it said on my secondary screen that Discord was having connection issues. Happened at the end of quali. During the wait for the race I logged on again and it seemed fine, except that everyone was disconnected so [kimi] it was the same for everyone [/kimi].

So good to see you and your crimson car on the track again, mate. And I agree with Milko - I just try to find a pace I feel comfortable with because when I try to keep up with the fast guys I will make more mistakes when [rossi] try to poosh too hard [/rossi]. I still make mistakes regardless, and I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not one of the fastest drivers in our league. Instead I'm just trying to enjoy the ride and being on track with you lovely guys, despite some races going shit like mine last night! 🥰

8 minutes ago, Yannik said:

a slight scare when @Meers, I think, spun right in front of me but I managed to avoid him

Yeah after they fixed the suspension after the crash, there was something off still. Trail braking down into turn 3 made the rear step out (it never does that there, the Macca is planted as fuck), so after our near-collision I tried to set the BB to the rear, which helped.

I tried not to move when you approached (I'm always aware of my surroundings), but when I saw you coming I did a little shit. And I realised later that I was responsible for you not finishing first because of me holding you up like that. :facepalm:

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 4 @ Brands Hatch