IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 3 @ Watkins Glen

davejm

Just now, milko said:

@Erik my replay length was set too short to review the opening lap (whoops) so I haven't been able to check. I'm fairly sure I got a piece of your front wing as I passed the accident, it caused my driver's side door about 4 seconds of damage (that I never bothered fixing) but I hope it didn't contribute too much to your troubles. I might well have had room to give more space as I passed you but amidst the chaos I think I briefly froze into holding my line rather than swerve away.

You and Meers glanced me, I dont think damage was more than what you two received. I was fully on brakes there so I dont think there was much more I could have done other than yell over voice comms but I forgot about that. Most of the damage was done by the 3rd car who I'm pretty sure was the same who put me in the wall later. I also had door to door contact with 1 or 2 cars but those didnt cause any damage or even trigger the safety rating pop up thing as didnt the first contact with Yannik

I got to push at 100 % focus for a full hour which was nice 🙂

6 minutes ago, Erik said:

You and Meers glanced me, I dont think damage was more than what you two received.

Hang on, the Pouhon thing in lap one was you? I didn't see it at the time so I thought it was one of the new people. 😐

25 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

My crew chief did the exact same thing, told me to pay attention to track limits. And don't worry about my race just like in real life this sort of thing can happen, you gotta roll with it.

Great to hear you got a fix on the way!

Thanks man, that means a lot. Hope to be able to make it a good fight next time out without being let down by external factors 👍

The folks at Venym are super helpful, it's incredible. Can't blame them for load cells shitting the bed, that's on the manufacturer that makes them. Had it happen with my clutch before and they made it right within days. Good thing France is next door so shipping won't take too long :D

SRO eSports 24 hours of Spa has just been cancelled after DDOS attacks.  Apparently these sort of attacks on the big ACC events are becoming more common over the last few months 😔

9 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

People are cunts?

Some people are indeed. Miserable cunts.

We had it happen in one of the RCI races a couple of months ago as well iirc.

I'll tell you one thing though, the GT series has the best replay cams and photo mode I've ever seen in a racing game. 

Did some practice last night and I managed a sub 1:43. It's a tricky circuit and I keep messing up the first corner and the hairpin on top of the hill. It's certainly awesome to see so many names on the list!

image.png.ed5e14acbb93fd47d32abed8bf33ffa1.png

I think I have 2 or 3 tenths there still but its very difficult to drive a clean and precise lap because thanks to the Lexus A pillar I dont have a brake marker for T3, hairpin or Crocodiles and I turn in blind into T1, T3, T5 and the hairpin 😄

16 minutes ago, Meers said:

image.png.f0852459677ba8f339465da2486a4eb4.png

image.png.955450c6de10c5874c3deb552f4184be.png

i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

Doesn't mean anything.  Prior form suggests that I'm relatively fast on low fuel if I can hook it together in practice, but I'm shit in the races.

I find T3 bloody tricky (on studying a track map it turns out this is T5. Barbeque, anyway). Where's the line!? Where's the braking point!? Where's the turn-in point? Why's the apex hiding behind my a-pillar? Argh! And then I never feel satisfied I'm doing the following fast right hander (Sunset) fast enough either but then if I go faster it's understeering out of the track I go.

All that aside I'm reasonably happy with my time and it's on race fuel. I dug out the practice table from when we were here last, in January. Can't remember what practice conditions were but we got surprise rain in the race and @winky won it I think.

january practice.png

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Doesn't mean anything.  Prior form suggests that I'm relatively fast on low fuel if I can hook it together in practice, but I'm shit in the races.

Hmm, maybe. That lap may have been a one-off but looking at the breakdown of your session, there's quire a few low 42s in there so it may mean something. In general you're almost a second faster than me on average. You 'just' need to carry that pace into the race.

What makes you say you're shit in the races? 😯

I'm the opposite - can't string together a fast lap in practice or qually, but luck into decent race results. :) 

I can't even get into the 43's at the moment, but I'm still focused on tuning the motion platform rather than laptime. And it makes a great excuse that I'm going to milk for as long as possible!

55 minutes ago, milko said:

I find T3 bloody tricky (on studying a track map it turns out this is T5. Barbeque, anyway). Where's the line!? Where's the braking point!? Where's the turn-in point? Why's the apex hiding behind my a-pillar? Argh! And then I never feel satisfied I'm doing the following fast right hander (Sunset) fast enough either but then if I go faster it's understeering out of the track I go.

These are my problem corners too, for barbeque I brake just as the kerb ends on the left hand side of T4 Jukskei sweep, I turn in pretty early as well to try get on the power as early as possible but I find my line still to be inconsistent. T6 Sunset I have just accepted I feel slow, If I try to maximise running wide on the kerb it unsettles the car trying to get back over to the right for T7 clubhouse.

49 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

running wide on the kerb it unsettles the car

The kerbs here are harsh. I found that raising the suspension makes it more bearable. My front ride height is the default recommended and my rear is 15mm higher than the front to aid the car's rotation. It's now much better than it was before.

@Erik, is it normal that the M4 needs more rake than other cars? 

7 minutes ago, Meers said:

It doesnt, it has unique aero in that theres a big window where lifting rear moves center of pressure back rearwards. I think thats also the reason why its wheel goes light when braking. Use reasonable rake and tune other things instead

47 minutes ago, Meers said:

The kerbs here are harsh. I found that raising the suspension makes it more bearable. My front ride height is the default recommended and my rear is 15mm higher than the front to aid the car's rotation. It's now much better than it was before.

I forgot the first part. Depending on rear wing angle 15 mm isnt that much rake, it can be 30 mm or even higher. 😉

On this track I think you want to be able to drive over the kerb on the left in esses, the corner after sunset. If you bottom out and spin there, raise the car.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 3 @ Watkins Glen