IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 3 @ Watkins Glen

davejm

Nice one @Meers

All of my practicing trying to get clean laps means I've become faster around the other non-problem areas of the circuit.  I managed to get my delta down to 2:19.4xx on a couple of laps; but even if I nail Eau Rouge the blasted Stavelot gets me :D 

In the end I switched into hotlap mode to make it easier to practice Eau Rouge over and over (cause you don't have to do an outlap); and I think I'm getting the hang of my angles in pancake mode now.  I did 6-7 perfect Eau Rouge runs in a row; but then switched back to the server and fucked it up right away on there :D  But I think I know how to take it now; the key being a really smooth transition to the right.  I think too harsh steering is inducing understeer.  Maybe in VR I'm just naturally hitting better angles.

VR gives the better depth perception, I’m sure the elevation changes around Raidillon are among the places where this effect is maximised. 

No practice for me tonight, but looking forward to figuring out how much rake counts as “lots” and if the new patch nerfs have made a change that I can perceive. 

I think Erik's comment about wing and rake was because you specifically mentioned sector 2.  I'm guessing (if I've learnt anything at all about setups) that more rake and wing would give you a faster middle sector at Spa because it's slower and more technical which benefits from more downforce.  But that would compromise sectors 1 & 3.  Daniel does seem particularly quick in sector 2.

Of course I could be talking out of my arse 😆

EDIT: I'm half a second quicker than him in sector 1 (and similar in sector 3), but way slower in the middle.

I didn't notice any drop off in pace.  BOP changes are likely to affect aliens more than us mortals, I think.

9 hours ago, davejm said:

I think Erik's comment about wing and rake was because you specifically mentioned sector 2.  I'm guessing (if I've learnt anything at all about setups) that more rake and wing would give you a faster middle sector at Spa because it's slower and more technical which benefits from more downforce.  But that would compromise sectors 1 & 3.  Daniel does seem particularly quick in sector 2.

Of course I could be talking out of my arse 😆

EDIT: I'm half a second quicker than him in sector 1 (and similar in sector 3), but way slower in the middle.

I didn't notice any drop off in pace.  BOP changes are likely to affect aliens more than us mortals, I think.

yeah I just thought I already had quite a lot of rake (but not full wing) and I’m looking forward to playing about with it if I get time. I think my struggles with Bruxelles into no-name into double gauche are more to do with technique than car anyway 🙂

I always fuck up my braking point into La Source. What do you guys use for reference, the rubber lay-down on the tarmac or a certain blade of grass on the trackside?

1 minute ago, Meers said:

I always fuck up my braking point into La Source. What do you guys use for reference, the rubber lay-down on the tarmac or a certain blade of grass on the trackside?

boards on the wall far on the left, or the orange marshalls on the right. They work better in the dark because the white boards arent lit

14 minutes ago, Erik said:

boards on the wall far on the left, or the orange marshalls on the right. They work better in the dark because the white boards arent lit

I'm not sure if they're still in my view when I'm next to them seeing as they're far on the left (like you said) so it's a guessing game for me with the FoV I'm using, and it makes my approach to La Source a hit and miss (brake too early, brake too late - so stay well away from me lads!).

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

I use the brown patch of grass on the left.

Well the joke's on me because foliage and foliage detail are both set to "what foliage?" so I'll have to find something else. I'll do a slow run methinks to see if I can use something else as a marker there. 😔

Cheers though chaps! :hat:

Them orange fellas on the right could be a better reference point since it takes your eyes to the apex rather than outside. I'd have to be braking quite a bit earlier than them to make it though, I'll have to see how it all goes.

23 minutes ago, milko said:

@Meers

Screenshot 2022-01-19 104106.png

Amazing, thanks! I'll need to check if I see the same patch on my N64-o-grass.

22 minutes ago, davejm said:

Ah, maybe there is some type of grass rendering there.  I forget how detailed ACC is.  I've got my foliage set to low too (well I did in VR).  

Not only the foliage, but the materials quality is set to mid as well, making everything look a bit basic.

14 minutes ago, milko said:

Them orange fellas on the right could be a better reference point since it takes your eyes to the apex rather than outside. I'd have to be braking quite a bit earlier than them to make it though, I'll have to see how it all goes.

That'll be plan B then.

52 minutes ago, davejm said:

I might do a couple of LFM races this evening if anyone's interested.  I've got one race to do until I'm out of the rookie servers.

I might well join you.  I can't race tomorrow but I have a free night tonight :)

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

I might well join you.  I can't race tomorrow but I have a free night tonight :)

Nice one, assuming you haven't done any races yet we'll only be able to do one race together as I'll be out of rookie servers after 1 more race.  So if you wanna take a look and see what time you can do, I'll be sure to join the same.  They're 15 minutes past the hour.

after the chaos of trying to race on LFM for Hungaroring, Barcelona and Kyalami, I'm a bit nervous of what Eau Rouge is going to be like on there for the first few laps! I might try and get on tonight as well but I'm pretty tired and probably should focus on getting my sector 2 time a bit better really.

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Ah, sorry guys! I've only just seen your posts and I'm not gonna be on in time to join that race. 

No worries, I wanted to get an early one in because if I didn't get off the sofa when I did, I likely never would have :D

I got entered into split 2 of 3, qualified 4th, and finished 5th.  Had a super close and clean battle with the guy that finished 4th for the whole race; but he took me at bus stop.  And he was slightly quicker anyway, so once he passed that was it.  Really enjoyed that.  I now have my 'IRON' license so out of the rookie servers.

Gonna leave it there for tonight, and get some dinner.  End on a high!! :D  

oh.....must try harder

In other news, I did some public lobbies last night at Spa, to get used to other traffic being around. I went into one and thought, this is busy. Next thing a chat message pops up, "What's the point ? Boothby's here !", and there he was banging in 2.16's for quali. I've followed him on twitch for a few years now, so it peaked my interest. 

Anyway, the  race started, we got up the hill and there was a 10-15 car pile up at the top which I caught the end of (basically cars just all over the road spinning in every direction) , so i logged off, and so endeth my brush with ACC Royalty.  

So attention everyone. Turns out the game has a bug or glitch in the setup screen that effects some cars, at least those that have the toe setting range go way negative. The set static toe is wrong: its way, way more positive in the saved setup file. So set 0.00 toe is actually like 0.20. Something like -0.25 is actually static 0. This effects balance(no wonder some cars have been stupid understeery), tyre wear and top speed. Cars not effected or effected only a bit are M4, M6, 720, Nissans at least. I dont think its entirely coincidential that it was specifically the pre-update OP 720 and M4 that happened to be uneffected. Some of the big losers that could not have been setup around this glitch and be fast had been Boat, Ferrari, Aston, Lexus, Honda at least. Those cars should be back now and the M4-720 meta is over.

So if you dont drive M4, M6, 720, Porsche, maybe Lambo, heres what you do: go to setup screen and reduce toes by 0.2 at least. Experiment a bit. You may immediately find half a second of laptime and find the car easier to drive too!

Some aliens had of course been using this for a long time but chose to not reveal it. Even CDA boys. Disappointing, so disappointing.

34 minutes ago, davejm said:

vncviewer_Ruz0IYgrAX.png.cc6b0be53fd96cf8ac9578ce1da99689.png

I'm in the 20s at least now. I think I have a low 20 in me as I messed up one lap where I was .6 in the green. There's still time to find in the 2nd sector and I have no idea how @texlex45 found more than a second over @SneakyNinja's 2nd sector.

The brown patch braking point for La Source helped me out a lot as well, so thanks for that tip! It's a texture on my low settings.

18 minutes ago, Erik said:

So attention everyone. Turns out the game has a bug or glitch in the setup screen that effects some cars, at least those that have the toe setting range go way negative. The set static toe is wrong: its way, way more positive in the saved setup file. So set 0.00 toe is actually like 0.20. Something like -0.25 is actually static 0. This effects balance(no wonder some cars have been stupid understeery), tyre wear and top speed. Cars not effected or effected only a bit are M4, M6, 720, Nissans at least. I dont think its entirely coincidential that it was specifically the pre-update OP 720 and M4 that happened to be uneffected. Some of the big losers that could not have been setup around this glitch and be fast had been Boat, Ferrari, Aston, Lexus, Honda at least. Those cars should be back now and the M4-720 meta is over.

So if you dont drive M4, M6, 720, Porsche, maybe Lambo, heres what you do: go to setup screen and reduce toes by 0.2 at least. Experiment a bit. You may immediately find half a second of laptime and find the car easier to drive too!

Some aliens had of course been using this for a long time but chose to not reveal it. Even CDA boys. Disappointing, so disappointing.

Blimey, so how long before they patch this?

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Blimey, so how long before they patch this?

Dunno. At this point we dont exactly know whats going on, but very likely at least some kind of disconnect between the set toe angle and what you actually get. Especially under load and at speed. Only certain thing I can say is that its off. Try less toe(into negative angles even) both at front and rear except in 720 and M4. Experiment. You will probably like the changes unless maybe if you go to extremes.

3 hours ago, Erik said:

The set static toe is wrong: its way, way more positive in the saved setup file. So set 0.00 toe is actually like 0.20. Something like -0.25 is actually static 0. This effects balance(no wonder some cars have been stupid understeery), tyre wear and top speed.

Ah this may explain some of the problems I've been experiencing in the ferrari with stavelot, it was never such a big problem in previous races. Will play around with the toe settings and see how it feels.

I won't make the race tonight, I was reminded this morning of plans which were made weeks ago and no way out of them.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Round 3 @ Watkins Glen