Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone

davejm

14 minutes ago, winky said:

Yeah, the only time integrates graphics have been of use to me was as Dave describes - dead graphics card and trying to get through post.

How fucked would one be if the GPU dies and you don't have integrated graphics?

ce81e534-6293-40d6-b95a-44413dae853e_tex

Not completely, most boards have ways of diagnosing faults and in my experience it’s a bit of trial an error. (Reseat Dimms check cpu mounted, pray you haven’t bent a pin or put too much pressure on core when mounting heat sink, etc, etc)

In my case I never clicked that my card had died, the thought of an upgrade was too scary!

Bwahahaha! Hmm, that's almost nothing between us though. I still have some time to gain, if I can put the laps in. I keep forgetting it's not a rllmuk race week, should probably get in the LFM one sooner rather than later. 

Good to have you back @Meers

6 minutes ago, milko said:

Bwahahaha! Hmm, that's almost nothing between us though. I still have some time to gain, if I can put the laps in.

Same here, but I think a sub .35 is not in there for me. We'll see.

7 minutes ago, milko said:

I keep forgetting it's not a rllmuk race week, should probably get in the LFM one sooner rather than later. 

Unfortunately I have to let the LFM league go. I'm struggling for time with the rllmuk and RCI leagues already, let alone if I would dip my toes in a 3rd league. 😩

9 minutes ago, milko said:

Good to have you back @Meers

image.thumb.png.72b51fcb67ce009ae4e52e586b028681.png

It may be a bit too premature to conclude I'm back, but thank you regardless! 🤗

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

Unfortunately I have to let the LFM league go. I'm struggling for time with the rllmuk and RCI leagues already, let alone if I would dip my toes in a 3rd league. 😩

I don't look at it like a league.  Technically it does have championship points which accumulate each week; but this is just a replacement for public lobby racing for me; with the addition of the ranking points system.  So I'll just dip into it if I want some ad-hoc racing really.

But yeah, I know what you mean.  I think I've done 5 races so far; but I doubt I'd have even done that if I were racing in 2 actual leagues.

Yeah if I was practicing for RCI I doubt I'd do LFM as well, but I'm not paying the slightest bit of attention to the league points so far. Just trying to use it for race practice for now.

14 minutes ago, davejm said:

I don't look at it like a league.  Technically it does have championship points which accumulate each week; but this is just a replacement for public lobby racing for me; with the addition of the ranking points system.  So I'll just dip into it if I want some ad-hoc racing really.

But yeah, I know what you mean.  I think I've done 5 races so far; but I doubt I'd have even done that if I were racing in 2 actual leagues.

Ah I thought it was a proper league thing. Okay I'll give qualifying another go then. Is it much better than the Kunos public lobbies then?

I'm very happy with the rllmuk and RCI leagues. I love measuring myself against you guys, and we're pretty fast overall if I'm comparing leagues. I'm also very chuffed that the guys at Prime Motorsport (the team Erik's in) took me on board despite me not being as fast as them (I hope to compensate for that by being consistent, driving clean and keeping mistakes to an absolute minimum). Learning a lot from both leagues too. 😊

@Meers it is a proper league really, but there's so many people taking part you can just treat it as a multiplayer lobby with good ratings control. The licence test and ELO points thing stop it from being super crashy but to be honest there's still a fair bit of carnage in many of the races.

Just now, Meers said:

Ah I thought it was a proper league thing. Okay I'll give qualifying another go then. Is it much better than the Kunos public lobbies then?

I'm very happy with the rllmuk and RCI leagues. I love measuring myself against you guys, and we're pretty fast overall if I'm comparing leagues. I'm also very chuffed that the guys at Prime Motorsport (the team Erik's in) took me on board despite me not being as fast as them (I hope to compensate for that by being consistent, driving clean and keeping mistakes to an absolute minimum). Learning a lot from both leagues too. 😊

It's miles better than public lobbies.  Similar to sim grid.  But not as clean as our racing, especially in the rookie or low splits.  You can basically race when you want (every hour).   Your best result of the week goes towards the championship; but as I mentioned I don't pay any attention to that.  I'm just in it for the random ad-hoc racing but the ranking points system just means there is something on the line each race.

I'd love to be involved with Erik's team; but the anxiety of racing in the silver team was too much for me before (and I was in a rough emotional state at the time anyway) so I had to duck out before I even took part in one race.   I still feel bad about letting them down.  Maybe if a spot opens in the AM car at some stage I'd be interested again.  I also need to get some insight into your practice session you had as I don't think I have the correct attitude when it comes to practice currently.

So I finally got my 80 SA to get my rookie licence. Then I couldn't get on the server as i don't have 80 (must 79.8 or something).

Anyway. I go to a public lobby, Have a decent race and some bellend takes me out on the last lap. And back to 79 we go !!!!

They have to implement some basic AI to determine a wide brush of who is at fault rather than both parties !

1 hour ago, davejm said:

It's miles better than public lobbies.  Similar to sim grid.  But not as clean as our racing, especially in the rookie or low splits.  You can basically race when you want (every hour).   Your best result of the week goes towards the championship; but as I mentioned I don't pay any attention to that.  I'm just in it for the random ad-hoc racing but the ranking points system just means there is something on the line each race.

That sounds pretty good as on occasion I try a random race on the Kunos servers to see how I compare. Sounds like the LFM servers would be a better place to do that so I will give it another go.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

I'd love to be involved with Erik's team; but the anxiety of racing in the silver team was too much for me before (and I was in a rough emotional state at the time anyway) so I had to duck out before I even took part in one race.   I still feel bad about letting them down.  Maybe if a spot opens in the AM car at some stage I'd be interested again.  I also need to get some insight into your practice session you had as I don't think I have the correct attitude when it comes to practice currently.

I felt anxious in the beginning too, but for different reasons. It's overwhelming and exciting no matter how you look at it. I think I've sussed out most of it and I feel at ease with it now, and the guys there have been (and still are) really helpful helping me out. If you (or anyone else) fancies helping out, we still need extra drivers for the 24 hour Spa race in May. No qualifying needed, just availability. Car tunes are provided as well.

As for my private practice session - Nicolas (f2oRT) was spectating me trying to better my Kyalami pre-Q stint and first pointed at my racing lines. When I couldn't get a decent lap in he asked me how my mindset was. So I told him I want to push as hard as possible to better myself every lap*, to which he replied "don't try to better yourself every lap, instead try to get consistently clean laps in instead of trying to beat your fastest lap. Get into a flow first, the fast laps will come naturally after a while". So I did and it had effect immediately. It was a bit of a 'wax-on-wax-off' crossed with 'if you build it, it will come' eureka moment really. Really good coaching.

Later I watched Erik's lines on Kyalami and Monza and noticed a lot of differences with mine. I thought I was using plenty of track width, but watching him opened my eyes even more. You know that left hairpin on Kyalami, on top of the hill? Well he stays all the way on the right (wheels on the kerbs) and as much in a straight line as possible whilst braking, whereas I was further to the left and already steering towards the apex. Just tiny things like that makes such a huge difference!

*I convinced myself I'm a shit hotlapper so that has worked against me. Then you try too hard to become better, but becoming even more shit and frustrated as a result. Especially as I don't have much time to practice compared to most due to work and family life.

1 hour ago, mrben09 said:

So I finally got my 80 SA to get my rookie licence. Then I couldn't get on the server as i don't have 80 (must 79.8 or something).

Anyway. I go to a public lobby, Have a decent race and some bellend takes me out on the last lap. And back to 79 we go !!!!

They have to implement some basic AI to determine a wide brush of who is at fault rather than both parties !

You can gain SA by racing the AI, might be safer! Just set up a quick race with you in last place and 95% (or whatever makes this next step simple) AI with low aggression or something. Then sit close to the car in front for lap after lap, don't bother trying to overtake or anything. You don't get the same experience of trying to predict and react to human behaviour but you do get an SA point every 15 minutes or something like that.

12 hours ago, davejm said:

Hey Dave. Right now we have 2 teams: Bentley 18 with 3, and BMW M4 with 4 drivers. Both cars are now in the same split(race) and class which is nice and may open options for some team orders strategies. There are also some reserve drivers who cant take part in the full season but try to make it to a race or two.

Event schedule and other info you can find here: https://racerci.com/championships/93/info

Like Meers said the obvious one where more drivers are needed will be the 24 hour race at Spa on May 14. We will likely go with 4 or 5 drivers per car. You and Cillian were both interested so we will see what kind of driver lineups we can form a bit closer to the race. There may be need for more in the earlier races too, we'll see. Its not impossible for someones PC to die shortly before race, real life things to take priority and so forth. Obviously we would like new drivers to be well prepared and not just show up on the race day half an hour before its their turn but of course we all have limited amount of time and sometimes schedules just dont match.

Thanks for the info @Erik, that's great.  One of the other reasons for ditching the idea of endurance racing was because the idea of multiple stints are problematic for me (VR makes it difficult, and knee pain starts to set in after a time).

I think I like the idea of doing it in a lot of ways, but other aspects of it bring on the anxiety again.  But I'll give it some thought and keep my eye on the Discord.  But last thing I would want to do is join and then back out again, so I'll be sure this time before I agree to take part.  

4 minutes ago, davejm said:

Thanks for the info @Erik, that's great.  One of the other reasons for ditching the idea of endurance racing was because the idea of multiple stints are problematic for me (VR makes it difficult, and knee pain starts to set in after a time).

I think I like the idea of doing it in a lot of ways, but other aspects of it bring on the anxiety again.  But I'll give it some thought and keep my eye on the Discord.  But last thing I would want to do is join and then back out again, so I'll be sure this time before I agree to take part.  

Re multiple stints, we dont yet know what the maximum driving times are, but since those tend to depend on number of drivers in the team it can be difficult to have someone who can only do a stint or two and keep everyone else below their maximum times. If I can still do my 10 hours we can of course have visiting star or two drive a stint provided they are motivated, fast and safe. 😉 Keep an eye on our discord and dont be afraid to ask anything there.

Yeah, it would only be fair for me to join if I were able to manage multiple stints; so I'll definitely only commit to it if I feel I can do that.  Once my arm is totally healed I might try some longer practice sessions and see how I go.  Then maybe see how the knee feels if I do a practice stint, take a break, do another stint etc.

I'm so tempted to try and join the team but realistically my free time doesn't usually coincide with a race.

Just did Misano LFM, quali 3rd (very tight) and finished 4th (0.3s back from 3rd), it was pretty fun this time! It was very squeaky when the Audi who got past me (and ultimately won) nipped inside a hairpin, think we lost an SA point for contact but I didn't even feel it so it must've been a layer of paint at most. I decided to play it cautious which probably cost me a chance to gain a place back on an erratic Ferrari and an erratic BMW after that, but it could've gone very wrong. I feel like I'm getting safer, my Misano delta is really consistent now (apart from an outlier 1.35.0x in that race somehow!) but I guess I need to prove it by qualifying lower down the field and surviving the race.

I did my first two LFM races yesterday afternoon. I probably should've practiced more than the 5 invalid laps on the rllmuk server I did, I qualified terribly both races. 17/18 in the first race with a 137.752, it did mean I easily avoided the carnage in the mid field gained a few places and finished 11th. Second race I qualified 16/21 with a 1.37.482, on the opening lap traded a little bit of paint in the first few corners but settled in quickly, felt much more comfortable in the car and was lapping in the mid 1.36s and finished in 7th. Had some really good battles in the second race, there was 4 cars and we were all a similar pace.

I still really struggled with the understeer again, hoping for a fix for the toe values to comes out soon, my lap record according to the game is a 1.35.1, there's time there to find but I don't know how easy it would be to get back to that with how the car is now. I might try get on again tonight and max out the toe values and see how it goes.

Have you done much other 'post-1.8' tuning for understeer? I felt I had to mess with the ARBs and springs/bump stops a little in some tracks to fix it... but with the crucial note that I don't really know what I'm doing and can't really tell if it helped or I just got the hang of my racing line better.

I adjusted the ARB and front toe for the Suzuka race but only toe this time for misano, maybe I'll also soften the front ARB and keep the toe as I have it to see how it reacts. I'm really unsure with the springs and bump stops I have never touched them in the setup just leave it as the aggressive preset, I do want to try learn a bit more about setting up the car but it's overwhelming trying to figure it out.

You can try softening front ARB and/or springs for turn-in understeer. And then exit understeer can be helped by stiffening rear ARB/springs. Truthfully I'm far from knowing what I'm doing with bump stops but I noticed Aris sometimes upping the range a little so I did it too 🙇‍♂️

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone