Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone

davejm

Top racing again lads, thanks.  Great to see you out there @daifuco! (I think? These real names are tricky to connect to forum usernames)

@Valver in the first race was good fun again while it lasted! I got off to such a good start in that rain (thanks to some connection woes elsewhere mainly) I ended up way further up the field than I realised, got quite a shock when @SneakyNinja @SANtoOos and @SharkyOB suddenly went by!

Race 2 I got a drive-through for going too fast at the start, it was madly frustrating as in the middle of my green box I seemed to be right up Valver's arse so I tried to drop back and then had to speed up as we came to the lights and then it gave me the penalty because I overdid it just slightly. Grr. After that I was just trying to get back into some kind of contention, it's a hefty penalty to take in a sprint race. Some sort of lesson learned, hopefully.

@extremepabs and @batistutauk I think that was you two I ended up mixing it with a few times? That was brilliant fun, I know we had a bit of contact here and there but I think I was in the right in the bits where I got past you for good at least. Subject to steward's inquiry. @extremepabs that bit where we went side by side through Village and The Loop and then all the way down Wellington was incredible! Anyway, let me know if either of you feel like I messed you up there at all, and apologies if I did. 

@davejm, where can I find the results page on the server? Edit: Never mind, found it. Had to wait for the session to end.

Good racing! My 1st race was borked thanks to my wheel shutting down. Turns out the power lead blug in the back of the wheel base is a bit loose.

2nd race was fun in the mid field with Dave, me, Winky and Valver all close together! 8-)

Results are up :)

https://beta.simracing.gp/events/ScHz9Dl-oZyo0scYW1qSL

I've added the points for pole position and fastest lap.  At some stage tomorrow I'll manually add the points from the last sprint races (just so we have the running total for the sprint cup so far).  @Meers if you still keep the overall tally your spreadsheet can be used for the overall leaderboard :)

Tex really made me sweat in the first race. BMW's traction out of corners saved me at least half a dozen times. :D I didnt realize my car was quite that bad in the wet. Horrible, horrible in turns and under brakes. I had made some last minute setup changes that quite clearly didnt work and I guessed tyre pressures wrong. You nearly got me in the arena and when we encountered lapped cars. Shame about the connection issues in race 2.

Lovely racing all around, thanks guys. Can't believe my game crashed just as the quali session got loaded, I was feeling pretty nippy in the wet. So had to start towards the back and had so much fun with @SneakyNinja and @SharkyOB. When I got some clear air I had good pace and set the fastest lap by quite a margin, so super gutted I couldn't start towards the front and give @Erik a run for his money (at least this once 😆). All in all 4th is a great result.

Second race I struggled at the start with the cold tyres lost 3 positions and had to fight Matt and @EuroVapeSim2, again loads of fun! Then I had to fuel save for 3 laps, couldn't match Erik's pace anyways and started feeling a bit feverish, there was so much condensation inside my headset afterwards! Felt pretty hard to keep a good pace. Feel a bit better now!

I think I've found my VR settings, up until this race I was definitely having issues with unstable and fluttery FPS that was stopping me reacting to oversteer properly, but feels good now and I got my confidence back. I feel like I wouldn't have completed half of my overtakes if it wasn't for the awareness and confidence VR gave me, so I'm there finally, that's what I wanted hahaha. Resolution is pretty bad, had to lower settings frantically as the game crashed 2 more times as I was trying to load it up in time. It's hard to focus on faraway apexes, but can't complain too much, at least there's room for improvement and excitement when it's time to get a new PC. Checked MSI and there seems to be some harsh CPU usage spikes (to about 80-90%) when the game crashes whilst GPU seems to keep stable. Is that basically proof it's CPU related? Might try overclocking, temperatures seem stable enough.

2 minutes ago, Meers said:

Okay, I'll maintain it. :)

I just need to figure out 2 more names still. Please PM me or post in here to let me know who you are:

L. Herbert

J. Pagan

And last but not least, who is a certain image.png.befed8ae7b006f8cfacdfb384531fb12.png?
image.png.c4c34ca00960d18f0375e7a5129973bf.png

If you look in the announcements channel on Discord i posted a list of who's who.  I deliberately didn't want to post it in here as this forum is public, and can't guarantee that everyone is happy with their real names being put in here.  So that's why I put it in there as only the simracing.gp guys have access to that Discord channel.

6 minutes ago, davejm said:

If you look in the announcements channel on Discord i posted a list of who's who.  I deliberately didn't want to post it in here as this forum is public, and can't guarantee that everyone is happy with their real names being put in here. 

Is anyone NOT OK with their real names being revealed?  All the highlight videos I normally post are now going to show driver names instead of forum names.

Shout now if you'd rather I didn't upload them publicly

(I do have both races BTW. Also, is the server configured differently for creating the highlight videos do you know @davejm?  The videos are waaay longer they they would be usually.  12 minutes ish, vs 2 or 3 minutes from the old server...  )

I'll probably post them in the morning as a result - they're taking an age to upload.

15 minutes ago, davejm said:

If you look in the announcements channel on Discord i posted a list of who's who.  I deliberately didn't want to post it in here as this forum is public, and can't guarantee that everyone is happy with their real names being put in here.  So that's why I put it in there as only the simracing.gp guys have access to that Discord channel.

Ah right, need I edit my post? :doh:

9 minutes ago, Valver said:

Is anyone NOT OK with their real names being revealed?  All the highlight videos I normally post are now going to show driver names instead of forum names.

Shout now if you'd rather I didn't upload them publicly

(I do have both races BTW. Also, is the server configured differently for creating the highlight videos do you know @davejm?  The videos are waaay longer they they would be usually.  12 minutes ish, vs 2 or 3 minutes from the old server...  )

I'll probably post them in the morning as a result - they're taking an age to upload.

My caution around the real names was more about them being included in forum posts (as a text readable value) because online bots and stuff can scrape and gather all that info with it being public.

I wouldn't have thought the youTube videos would be an issue, but I'm sure people will say if they're worried.

I'm not aware of anything different server side that could affect the highlight videos.

I'd messed up for the scoring for the GT4 series and set it to allocate only 7 points for 6th place rather than 9, but I was able to manually add 2 points for this place in each race.  If you wonder why it shows the 'points adjusted' value for those!

@Erik Beat me to it!! 😆

Has anyone paid for sim-racing coaching?  I know some of the faster chaps on here have been on board to offer tips with others, which is great, but I've often wondered how good the paid-for coaching can be.

So I found this video by "Worlds Fastest Gamer" and now real life GT3 driver for Team RJN motorsport, Jaaaames Baldwin, to be very amusing.  He basically pretends to be a bit crap to a Coach Dave Academy trainer and then sends it on the last few laps to improve by 4+ seconds.  His summary is, the coaching is great, very patient and some great tips.  But its a fun watch...

It's a fun and slightly uncomfortable watch, but very interesting.  A good insight into the coaching.

I've thought about getting coaching.  Although one of the things I keep seeing in videos like this, is the advice to look ahead rather than down into the nose of the car.  This is something i haven't got to grips with yet, so at least I do have some obvious things I need to work on.

I might have another rethink about the coaching if I hit a wall or start to fall out of love for it, but at the moment I know I'm still improving anyway.

That was awesome fun! The first race was a bit of a whatever as it was a car I'd never driven, in the wet and I ran off a few times trying to frantically search the HUD for fuel remaining and laps completed. Second race was terrific fun with super close racing for the first 16 minutes until a coming together with a light blue car. A reddish car and I were having a great defensive back and forth so much that we didn't notice bluey catch up and then it was a tight three way tangle for a while. Was great to be involved with, hopefully we make it to the replays!

All of this real name nonsense makes it hard to know who anyone was but if you hit a yellow and red Alpine badly using GT3 braking points, then thank you for slowing, although I'm not sure it was your fault. The visibility in the Alpine is so bad that it was a real panic when anyone was behind me as it was basically impossible to pre-empt which side they're going to try the over take on.

This real names vs forum names thing is a bit of a pain, isn't it.

No one has objected (yet) so I'm going to take a punt and post these.  They uploaded overnight, but they're *still* processing the HD/2K versions this morning.   Excuse the blurriness until that completes - someone needs to lob some more coal in the YouTube conversion server!

We'll get used to it quickly I think.  I already know who everyone is based on the member management I've been doing for simracing.gp and adding people to the Discord role; so you guys will pick it up soon too.  There are too many other benefits of using simracing.gp for this to outweigh those other positives.

@Meers I'd be inclined to post the leaderboard up if it's an image; as that would be ignored by the text scraping bots I think.  Perhaps I'm being overly cautious anyway?  If anyone isn't happy with it then perhaps we can post the leaderboard up in the announcements Discord channel (which only we have access to).

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

That was awesome fun! The first race was a bit of a whatever as it was a car I'd never driven, in the wet and I ran off a few times trying to frantically search the HUD for fuel remaining and laps completed. Second race was terrific fun with super close racing for the first 16 minutes until a coming together with a light blue car. A reddish car and I were having a great defensive back and forth so much that we didn't notice bluey catch up and then it was a tight three way tangle for a while. Was great to be involved with, hopefully we make it to the replays!

All of this real name nonsense makes it hard to know who anyone was but if you hit a yellow and red Alpine badly using GT3 braking points, then thank you for slowing, although I'm not sure it was your fault. The visibility in the Alpine is so bad that it was a real panic when anyone was behind me as it was basically impossible to pre-empt which side they're going to try the over take on.

oh it was *you* and extremepabs I came up against. It was definitely yellow, anyway. I’m not sure it was my fault either yet, but it seemed close enough it was nicer to wait. Anyway, great fun. 

Yeah it'll post it as an image, but I need to rewrite some of the sheet in order to fit the real names in. Shouldn't be too much work.

I really like using the real names. Makes it feel more real.

7 hours ago, davejm said:

I've thought about getting coaching.  Although one of the things I keep seeing in videos like this, is the advice to look ahead rather than down into the nose of the car.  This is something i haven't got to grips with yet, so at least I do have some obvious things I need to work on.

I might have another rethink about the coaching if I hit a wall or start to fall out of love for it, but at the moment I know I'm still improving anyway.

For me and probably most of us simracing is a hobby. Practicing, learning a new track, developing setup, finding consistency, racing and many other things are all parts of it and I enjoy them. I feel if I used a coaching service now that I have learned the basics I would miss the part where I find out where and how to improve myself... even if I got faster and better, there would be slightly less hobby to enjoy. Probably. And I would have to pay for it.

Some of the most efficient practicing I've had has been driving the same car together with someone who is at the same level. We can compare where we drive the track differently and might see each others' mistakes, we can compare how the car feels and then what effects setup changes have.

Had a great first race with @Erik. Tight and close racing throughout, just a shame it ended with a clumsy bonk with my chunky chevy front end 😅 Not used to those huge front engines after mainly using Audi. 

2nd Race I got "pirelli'ed" by my internet connection after a good start and getting back into P2. Hope I wasn't too rowdy on the overtake @SANtoOos since I felt you gave me a lot of space? 

26 minutes ago, davejm said:

Practice server is set up for Kyalami practice.

Now I am very excited for next week 😄 Favorite track and car combination for me so hoping to really challenge for P1

40 minutes ago, Erik said:

Some of the most efficient practicing I've had has been driving the same car together with someone who is at the same level. We can compare where we drive the track differently and might see each others' mistakes, we can compare how the car feels and then what effects setup changes have.

i feel more or less the same about doing coaching, for now at least. We should also maybe post more replay videos of us onboard doing laps, for when we can’t actually drive and talk together. Looking forward to Kyalami now, I feel like I have unfinished business there after last time out (accidentally wiped my setup and didn’t notice for ages in the race, went from being relatively quite fast to a disaster zone having many spins and crashes).

15 minutes ago, davejm said:

I've added the points from the previous sprint round, so the series leaderboard should accurately reflect the standings for this series...

https://beta.simracing.gp/series/RYjlXeLiu2IFs-LPeImrd#leaderboard

Ooh that's nice as well. I'd go with that if it's easier for us all.

Adding the real names is going to take a lot more work than I thought, as everything is linked to the forum IDs. 😓

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone