IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance

davejm

10 hours ago, davejm said:

image.thumb.png.ee309b77f38fffc082416a8951414456.png

Paul's back in business! 4th place for me with 10 points behind Alastair!

soyouretellingmetheresachance-4.gif

9 hours ago, davejm said:

@Meers "Today the sky is Orange!"

😅

It was so orange, I could hardly see the track at times! The new effects that are enabled with the 1070 are such a leap over the old 1050, I can only imagine how much better the game loos with a 20 or 30 series card.

8 hours ago, Valver said:

That was mentally tiring!  I was concentrating so hard on not binning it, it gave me a headache that I've had to try and kill with beer

Yeah especially with the low sun in the 2nd race it was tough. The lighting effects certainly adds an extra difficulty factor now (for me at least, coming off low settings) because it sometimes makes it really hard to see where you're going. It's going to be a factor during the 24h of Spa I think, because my stints will be during the transition from day to night. 😶

8 hours ago, Valver said:

@Meers, first  I crowded you off track, with two bumps. And then I got myself wedged in a 3 car sandwich and pushed @SneakyNinja into a spin.   Not my usual style! 😳

No worries man, thankfully I recovered quickly and managed to keep up with your pace. You had nowhere to go either so it's basically a race incident, can happen to any of us.

It got me thinking... I could try and stream my stints on Discord for you guys. I think my new PC can handle it now. My first (double) stint starts at ~17:10h BST on May 14th and ends at ~19:15h, then an hour break before doing another hour of racing. 

image.thumb.png.92e4442d473056e0913453fb5b45163b.png

Because of family duties I can only race at night, hence why I 'only' have 3 stints. I offered to make my second stint a double as well to take the load off of someone else's schedule, so the above list may still be subject to change. Nic 🇫🇷 will kick the race off and will do the lion's share of the race, and his brother Seb 🇫🇷 will do a big chunk in the morning as well. Andy and Luis 🇺🇸 will do the night portions for us 🇪🇺's. That's for the BMW M4 team...

...@EuroVapeSim2 is in team Bentley (with Erik and 2 others), but since there's only 4 people in their team it'll be really tough (~ 6 hours each).

9 hours ago, Valver said:

Race 2 highlights - sorry about my start everyone!   @Meers, first  I crowded you off track, with two bumps. And then I got myself wedged in a 3 car sandwich and pushed @SneakyNinja into a spin.   Not my usual style! 😳

Aye, no worries - first corner love taps are to be expected.

What did annoy me though, was being rear-ended by our friend from last week again which damaged my car, ruining my race. 

Ah well, I had some fun chasing down and overtaking a couple of people. Luckily it'll be a nice relaxing one next week :)

49 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

@Meers - How does the game handle driver changes? Do you start in the pits and it tells you go when the other guy stops?

It's not as complicated as it sounds, thankfully - and it's rather seamless too.

First you have to make sure that the person who will change seats with you is online in the server well before the pitstop happens (you're on voice chat anyway so that's not a problem). Then you have to 'request' that driver in the pit menu whilst you're still racing. When it's time to box box box, they have to hit 'drive' before you stop at the pit crew. Then after the timer runs down, they will be given control whilst you will become a spectator. They have to start the engine and drive off like normal.

It's not just a case of dropping out right after your stint either. Someone has to stay around to assist the current driver as a spotter or in case something goes wrong with the connection. That person also communicates with the sister team and/or streams the race as a spectator.

42 minutes ago, Meers said:

It's not as complicated as it sounds, thankfully - and it's rather seamless too.

First you have to make sure that the person who will change seats with you is online in the server well before the pitstop happens (you're on voice chat anyway so that's not a problem). Then you have to 'request' that driver in the pit menu whilst you're still racing. When it's time to box box box, they have to hit 'drive' before you stop at the pit crew. Then after the timer runs down, they will be given control whilst you will become a spectator. They have to start the engine and drive off like normal.

It's not just a case of dropping out right after your stint either. Someone has to stay around to assist the current driver as a spotter or in case something goes wrong with the connection. That person also communicates with the sister team and/or streams the race as a spectator.

That all sounds quite cool, and a little bit terrifying :) I'd be a sweaty mess worrying about messing it up for the team.

54 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

That all sounds quite cool, and a little bit terrifying :) I'd be a sweaty mess worrying about messing it up for the team.

15 minutes ago, milko said:

yeah that sounds as complicated as it sounds, to me! Haha

It isn't more complicated than setting up the other pit strat options, honest! 😄

Simplified version:

1. next driver needs to be in server
  2. current driver needs to select next driver in pit menu
  3. next driver hits 'drive'
  4. current driver makes pitstop
  5. next driver takes over as soon as pitstop countdown times hits zero

Cillian did it as well in the last race, and he had no trouble, didn't mess up anything during his pitstops. As we Dutch say - "a child can do the laundry".

in fairness I could handle that bit, it's the part after about sticking around as spotter and streaming and whatnot. Responsibility! No matter, I'm unlikely ever to have time to do this kind of thing but it does sound very cool.

Well the sticking around isn't mandatory, just you being supportive of the current driver. After my last stint I rarely stick around for longer than 20 minutes to see if everything is going well. Usually the next driver is already in the chat or shows up early enough to take over for you.

Thankfully I am able to do this once a month and my family is very supportive. It's just a couple of hours for me (compared to Nic and Seb), but we also need to practice and test setups in the weeks leading up to the race. So I have to split my weekly sim practice time between rllmuk (70%) and PM (30%). I'm road cycling again as well twice a week, so I've even less time to practice racing now. 

My daughter's got ambitions too it seems. 😆

image.thumb.png.7ce335b1633644c79112f359ddcce7da.png

2 minutes ago, winky said:

What an ‘interesting’ car and track combination. I have an hour to kill this afternoon so going to try and set a clean lap!

Ha, I managed a few on my little look the other night, but setting several consecutive ones, now that was a challenge I kept failing. 

55 minutes ago, davejm said:

I just did a few laps.  Funnily enough I find it much less tense than Zandvoort.  The mountain section is soooo satisfying.  Fun times!! :)

Okay, so let's go for a 2h race then! 😆

Yikes, just watching Jardier's stream and he's set up a 2 hour race at Silverstone with only 1 set of dry tyres allowed for the whole event 😆 and to make matters worse, ambient and track temps are 50 / 62 respectively.  Blimey.  Interested to see how the cars behave towards the end of the race 🤣

I tried this car briefly yesterday and its a lot of fun isnt it? Not at all like the barely driveable mess that is the older Porsche Cup. This one is more like a GT3. Much more lively yet responds well to to inputs unlike lazy GT4s.

Yeah this car/track combo is amazing! What surprised me that you can correct the car from stepping out much better on Bathurst than the more flat Zandvoort last week. I was grinning like a loon during my practice last night. 😁

image.png.2cc43993f30cf370c62606ece65b4dca.png

With FSR I get so much overhead that I can run the game at mostly Epic settings @ 1440p60 (bar the shadows which are very expensive apparently). V-Synch off shows 85fps standing still, and with v-synch on it gets locked to 60fps and never drops below it, even online with 30 cars.

So that's bloody amazing and I'm very happy with it, were it not for the fact that the general image appears a bit blurry, and the mirrors are a smeary, pixelated mess (as I said last week).

Well after a bit of online searching and fiddling with the graphics setting it turns out that it's caused by the FSR feature. FSR, despite giving me a whopping 40fps over native resolution, gives you a blurrier image on GTX cards apparently. Balls.

I switched FSR off and tried native resolution, with most fancy effects turned down a notch (to High or Mid). I also went for 90% resolution scale to help maintain enough overhead without sacrificing too much fidelity. I could immediately tell the image was crisper and cleaner (much less artifacts) and the mirrors look much better as well (still not completely free of smearing and pixels though. I could not tell the difference between Epic and High settings regarding effects, mainly due to the overall image looking better now. Also running KTAA instead of TAA as the former has less of the ghosting effect on fences and such.

I think I'll keep it like this until I get my hands on an RTX card.

Quite enjoying the challenge of this car and track combo, in isolation. But to be honest, I'm not looking forward to the race at all as I'm pretty sure it'll be carnage. 

Mansner's at it again... 😅

image.png.450bdd9ff71b36a982b8edc77907d7e1.png

I'm very much looking forward to the race. The car feels amazing on this track. Hopefully there won't be any incidents.

14 minutes ago, davejm said:

:D :D :D 

Enduro boy here. Done an enduro there, no inchidentsjh! Nada! Zip! Zilch! Niks! 😜

Damn, the stream of nicknames is endless! 😐

*Fast forward to Thursday and find Meerman's car in flames in the downhill section...*

this track/car combo is maddening at time. Love to have a frustrating practice where every time you push it a new place to crash is found! Think I've a 2.05 in me but it feels like I'm better off trying for 2.07 consistently instead really.

Well tonight I couldn't string a single lap together for reasons unknown, so I fiddled some more with my graphics settings and other shit. I think this looks rather good, doesn't it? 😃

image.thumb.png.ca95d35a9a170d892f613c47f57da604.png

image.thumb.png.f9f1f8fd195903ec75de22369188ff5a.png

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance