IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance

davejm

2 hours ago, Valver said:

I turned in some practice laps this afternoon, but the rllmuk laptime webpage isn't showing anything...  is it me, or does the server need a nudge?

Yep the FTP app (which syncs the result files to the cloud) had crashed.  All good now :)

I can't race this week.  My Dad's having an op on Thursday so I need to stay with him for 24 hours afterwards.

Well wishes to your dad, Dave. Hopefully he will recover fast.

Our boy had his tonsils removed last Friday. I had mine removed in the early 80s but we had to stay in the hospital for 2 nights back then, my mother told me. Our lad was jumping around already again a mere hour after the op. Mental. I suppose they can cut a lot neater these days.

I still need to practice. Barca is one of my faves too, so hopefully I will feel right at home.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Yep, sorted :)  How's the new PC, enjoying it?

Cheers mate.

Yeah it's a beast! Everything is on Epic, except for shadows and visual effects which are set to High. Contact shadows are off (they still look too dithered) and use a lot of performance. TAA gen 5 is on instead, which makes 2K a lot crisper. FSR on ultra gives me a whopping 25fps boost so that's a no-brainer. And the mirrors are on the max setting as well. Loving the sun rays and haze effects I have now! Trees and foliage are on High as well (the detail setting is particularly taxing on performance).

Without V-synch I still have 85fps on average, but I have to turn V-synch on because of screen tearing (which caps my framerate at 60 as a result, whilst maintaining the overhead, fine by me). I can set everything to Epic if I want, but I'd like to keep that overhead for full grids (and sunsets, lol), so I don't mind having contact shadows off and a couple of other effects on High. It never dips below that 60fps (with a very steady 10ms frametime latency) so I'm very, very happy! Look: 😁

I also tested 4k, which I can also run at 60fps...but with most things set to low again (just like on the laptop). The image is amazing and the framerate is buttery smooth but without any overhead, but the graphics are bland (2D trees, no fancy lighting etc). So I'm sticking to 2K for now.

Been fiddling with other racing games as well, and ACC is definitely the most taxing of the lot (with Dirt Rally 2 as a close second - Unreal engine to blame?) AC looks awesome with all the ReShade filters and I have 100fps with everything set to max on it (even with TAA on now through Content Manager). Need to get back into that game. AMS2 and RaceRoom have everything set to the highest levels as well, really well-optimised games. Still need to do Dirt Rally 1 but I expect the same result.

The R5 5600X CPU really is a beast, isn't it? Out-performs some older gen R7 CPUs even. The thing barely breaks a sweat and stays well below 65°C all the time. I did some basic overclocking on your 1070 (with the MSI Afterburner built-in scanner) which seems to make performance a bit better than before. I may have to look for an RTX GPU in a year or 2 though if I can get my mitts on one.

Slidey cars are fun :)

I break track limits on this one quite a lot when trying to push it and I still haven’t put together a lap I felt like I nailed all the way round. Looking forward to seeing how they race. 

11 minutes ago, milko said:

I definitely plan to bump up the TC a notch for the race!

Higher than 5 and you will lose a significant amount of acceleration.

The car also understeers like a submarine under acceleration, unless when you lower the TC to 4 or 3 to power drift around corners, of course.

image.thumb.png.0a3806f7ae4084d6df6a40f6e63c6f3b.png

4 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

let's see if I can tame the slide and understeer.

It's much more a matter of 'slide or understeer', not both together, with this car. 😅

24 minutes ago, Meers said:

It's much more a matter of 'slide or understeer', not both together, with this car. 😅

That's sounds interesting alright, I assume like the other challenge/cup cars there is very little you can do with the setup.

actually it's got quite a lot of setup available, it's not that far from being a normal GT3 car I think. I haven't really done much beyond the default aggressive though, I think I tried upping the rear wing and ride height for more rake but am far from sure it did anything much to help.

More rake deffo helps with the turn-in, and so does adjusting the arbs. I used the safe setup as template which was quite understeery when accelerating out of a corner, this seems to make it a little better. Lower TC makes it rotate a bit better under acceleration as well.

30 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Try upping the diff to about half way. Stops it locking so early under acceleration and reduces the exit under steer. 

Not tried that yet (I rarely change the diff setting). Good call!

4 hours ago, Meers said:

More rake deffo helps with the turn-in

Yeah I'm just not absolutely sure that was something I needed to add with the way I was coming into corners already! (often a bit dramatically) :)

I dragged the brake bias back a bit to try and help it stop as well, it's really forward compared with what I used on other cars. It has to be treated carefully tho what with the tendency to throw the back wheels out sideways at times.

fucking hell, 115 laps! I know that time's out there but I don't think I could spend that long trying to find it even if I had the hours, hats off to winky.

8 minutes ago, milko said:

fucking hell, 115 laps! I know that time's out there but I don't think I could spend that long trying to find it even if I had the hours, hats off to winky.

Yeah ditto. And mad props to Paul indeed, that's dedication. He looks like he could be a candidate for our endurance crew. :eyebrows:

Personally it was a great night for me.  I really enjoyed the new Lambo, and claiming 3rd in the second race after a prolonged chase and battle with  new random dude "F Kern" was the icing on the cake.  I was very wary of him on track  - I had no idea if I could trust him especially after I got a sideswipe on lap 1 of the first race...

Sorry @milko couldn't join in - why not register for all races, and then deselect the ones you cant do when you know you cant make one?

Also a shame @EuroVapeSim2 got the weird bug where he got stuck in race 1 as we advanced to race 2, then got a drive through penalty when he left and re-joined to try and kick start his entry.  Harsh!

Anyhow - highlights!

Race 1

Race 2

28 minutes ago, Valver said:

Sorry @milko couldn't join in - why not register for all races, and then deselect the ones you cant do when you know you cant make one?

Normally I do but in this season I originally thought I couldn't make this week (it turned out to be actually next week I'm out so). Was going to register when I realised, didn't have my Steam Guard handy for the fucking login so put it off and then forgot. Bah. It would be nice if simracing.gp allowed registration during the practice at least. Presumably impossible for the game server once spun up though. 

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance