IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance

davejm

Tonight's racing was good for only the 4 of us, had a good first race trying to chase down @Meers after @SneakyNinja unfortunately underfueled. In the second race I got Meers on the start and then on lap 2 pulled of a bit of a dive bomb on sneaky for first.

Both races were dry and no change in conditions over the 25 minutes. 

Indeed just the 4 of us, but we had a good race together. Garry nicked pole from me in the last lap of qualifying but fortunately for me he under-fueled his voiture and had to pit. Until he did though, I was chasing him hard for P1. Cillian, starting in P3, dropped back at the start of the race but took advantage of Gaz and I fighting each other. By the time Gaz pitted, Cillian was already back on my bumper. Managed to keep him at bay though and so I won the first race.

2nd race was in the dark, and I under-inflated my tyres (I still have not sussed the amount of clicks needed per °C). Cillian, starting from P3, overtook me in the first sector and was soon in P1 after a daring (but clean) dive in the last hairpin of the first lap, which put Gaz back in P2. Cillian obviously had his tyre pressures sorted, because he was pulling a gap on us steadly. I couln't keep up with Gaz due to my tyres being sub-pressure which made my car slide about a bit.

Garry and I both managed a 1:27.9xx in quali! Ben and I had equal first sector times as well and wasn't too far off either. He was knackered though due to having done a 20 hour work day earlier this week.

7 minutes ago, Meers said:

I still have not sussed the amount of clicks needed per °C

One click per degree, ambient.  You sometimes need to cater for massive swings in track temp too, but it works as a general rule.

9 minutes ago, davejm said:

One click per degree, ambient.  You sometimes need to cater for massive swings in track temp too, but it works as a general rule.

Hmm, weird that it's ambient temp that's the reference and not the track temp. Oh well, I'll keep it in mind. Cheers Dave! :hat:

14 minutes ago, Meers said:

Hmm, weird that it's ambient temp that's the reference and not the track temp. Oh well, I'll keep it in mind. Cheers Dave! :hat:

Yeah, I used to use track temp and just couldn't get it right.  So it's much better since I've been using ambient.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Isn't it one click per tenth of a degree?  So +0.5C = 5 clicks extra PSI

17 minutes ago, Valver said:

Isn't it one click per tenth of a degree?  So +0.5C = 5 clicks extra PSI

That can't be right. Temps were about 10 degrees lower so I raised pressures by 5 clicks and was on low 27 psi (so only a couple of 10ths lower than optimal psi). If I would have done it the way you're describing, I would have needed to do a tenfold of that (e.g. 40 clicks). Per Dave's rule it would be more like 8-10 clicks which I think would have been better.

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Indeed just the 4 of us, but we had a good race together. Garry nicked pole from me in the last lap of qualifying but fortunately for me he under-fueled his voiture and had to pit. Until he did though, I was chasing him hard for P1. Cillian, starting in P3, dropped back at the start of the race but took advantage of Gaz and I fighting each other. By the time Gaz pitted, Cillian was already back on my bumper. Managed to keep him at bay though and so I won the first race.

2nd race was in the dark, and I under-inflated my tyres (I still have not sussed the amount of clicks needed per °C). Cillian, starting from P3, overtook me in the first sector and was soon in P1 after a daring (but clean) dive in the last hairpin of the first lap, which put Gaz back in P2. Cillian obviously had his tyre pressures sorted, because he was pulling a gap on us steadly. I couln't keep up with Gaz due to my tyres being sub-pressure which made my car slide about a bit.

Garry and I both managed a 1:27.9xx in quali! Ben and I had equal first sector times as well and wasn't too far off either. He was knackered though due to having done a 20 hour work day earlier this week.

Still don't know how I managed to mess that up! I used the same online calculator as ever (simtools), put in the race length/laptime and fuel per lap.. took the result and added a bit for luck and off I went. It was only when CrewChief said "About ten minutes of fuel left" and we had 15 mins racing to go that I knew anything about it. Bugger.

Ah well, it was still good racing and I benefited from the practice :) 

I've always gone one click per degree ambient... and then looking at the time and trying to guess if I should compensate for the temps being likely to rise or fall during the race.

17 minutes ago, Meers said:

That can't be right. Temps were about 10 degrees lower so I raised pressures by 5 clicks and was on low 27 psi (so only a couple of 10ths lower than optimal psi). If I would have done it the way you're describing, I would have needed to do a tenfold of that (e.g. 40 clicks). Per Dave's rule it would be more like 8-10 clicks which I think would have been better.

That might explain why my tyres look like this:

image.thumb.png.dba4260fbe543969e3b4d33899683ced.png

50 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Still don't know how I managed to mess that up! I used the same online calculator as ever (simtools), put in the race length/laptime and fuel per lap.. took the result and added a bit for luck and off I went. It was only when CrewChief said "About ten minutes of fuel left" and we had 15 mins racing to go that I knew anything about it. Bugger.

That's why I run the Sim Dashboard app on my phone. I added custom widgets to it which tells me how many litres, laps and minutes of fuel I have left (yes, minutes). It also calculates the fuel usage (litres per minute), which I use to calculate the amount of fuel I have to put in.

Made the mistakes of adding too little fuel too many times. (not counting that time I completely forgot to add fuel for the race and went in with quali fuel).

33 minutes ago, Valver said:

That might explain why my tyres look like this:

image.thumb.png.dba4260fbe543969e3b4d33899683ced.png

Bloody hell!

Definitely 1 click per degree ambient.  Pretty sure it was mentioned by Aris on one of his streams.

As mentioned, the only time it fails me is if you get a massive swing in the track temps too.  So if it is a super hot day then I'll sometimes reign back on the clicks; just to err on the side of caution.  Otherwise it's mostly good.

Jumped back into VR this afternoon, I have gone very quickly from not being able to break 1:33.XX's to hitting consistent 1:30.XX's a 1:29.XX or better feels like it's in my grasp with a bit of adjustment but I am limiting my play sessions and building up VResilience gradually so as not to puke out.

Quick question, I am using quest / (meta 🤢) 2 headset and a link cable, I noticed that the bottom edge after a short period I get a discoloured pinky / white bar that appears to get gradually worse with time? Anyone know what that might be, or experienced similar?

It doesn't really impact my racing as its predominantly out of my line of sight, just wondered if any of you have experienced it here and had a solution, I googled it, there are others with same issue but no obvious answer as to what it is or a reliable fix.

Yikes, Quest 2 here but I don't have anything like that!

Glad you're finding some pace in VR.  It took me a while to get my VR legs too.  Just don't play Dirt Rally 2.0.  Damn game still makes me ill :D

5 hours ago, milko said:

Alright, humble bundle means I have a spare ACC steam key (base game only).

Any lurkers on the fence about joining in with us, hit me up!

I will take it bud!

Been thinking of getting the game in Xbox as there's been an update but wouldn't mind playing it on my steam deck when it arrives. 

Is there cross platform play out of curiosity?

Just now, Ry said:

I will take it bud!

Been thinking of getting the game in Xbox as there's been an update but wouldn't mind playing it on my steam deck when it arrives. 

Is there cross platform play out of curiosity?

there is not cross play, no. More’s the pity. Will it work on Deck?

Just now, milko said:

there is not cross play, no. More’s the pity. Will it work on Deck?

Not sure. I'm guessing it might by the time I get mine :)

When are you due? 

according to Valve it’s in this category:

Valve's testing indicates these titles from your Steam Library are functional on Steam Deck, but might require extra effort to interact with or configure.

lord knows what it would be like to control but if you want to try…

On 11/03/2022 at 16:29, Count Buffalos said:

Can confirm Dave’s advice re: Dirt 2.0 Literally tried it for the first time today 🤮.

It's even like that on a flat screen. I prefer the original DR (runs better on my lappie as well).

On 11/03/2022 at 19:34, davejm said:

Hmm, new cars meh. When are the new tracks due?

ACC is all I play, so I'll get all the DLC anyhow.

On 12/03/2022 at 16:42, mrben09 said:

Not a game to try and play on a controller.

Definitely not. I tried placing ACC with a controller the other day after my brother asked if it was doable (he's eying up the Xbox version). It wasn't very well implemented (on PC at least).

1 hour ago, davejm said:

I'm back babaY!

chrome_dPWZXwzGvR.png.8a27f3e9285e11444134d0965c341cce.png

So close! Garry and I had a 1:27.9xx in quali last Thursday, so it's good to see that I'm pretty close to that time again. 

Good to see you back on the track! How's the arm after that sesh?

I'm really excited about the new cars with them being challenge & cup cars rather than GT3/4.  New tracks are coming in the 'summer' :)

The arm feels fine now.  I'm even thinking about starting some gentle weight sessions this evening.  No pain or achenes at all now!!

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance