IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance

davejm

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

Can you configure those tap/hold variations in ACC? I've not noticed that...

Yep, I have a couple of things setup like that.  One of my buttons is flash lights on a short press and cycle lights on long and another is cycle wipers on tap and rain light on long.

Signed up for the beta too, although I'm also away next week. The beta site is failing at the Steam login stage just now, I'll try again later.

And... I feel the dread hand on my shoulder of the cold my kid had and then gave to my wife. It's finally made its way round to me. Another handy excuse for tonight's performance!

Gents, apologies especially @Count Buffalos . I have practised all week, and to do that on the 1st corner was unforgiveable. Basically due to other cars being on track I misjudged the whole fucking thing.

No excuses, straight red card for me. After that my heart wasn't in it. It's not in my nature to ruin other's nights, so it was time to get out. Even writing this makes me feel sooooo pissed off with myself. 

To be fair I might give it a miss for while because tonight was fucking shocking. As much I love the game I'm just not competitive within this group, and maybe need to do something else with my time. I don't think I've ever spent so much time on a game with such a great community (apart from the odd hour here and there it's the only game I play) but although I love the build up and the banter, I struggle with races and just give up every place without a fight so there's no accidents. Whereas in a public race I will hold onto every bit of tarmac as if my life depends on it.

I'm normally clocking in over 15 hours week (+ race night) for no improvement. Some long thinking to do. 

All that said I'm sure i'll convince myself to be back next week ! Once again sorry chaps (esp Nick) 

@mrben09 lets drive some together after next week's Friday when I return. To gauge what are your biggest obstacles in improving and try to remedy them.

I dont know what happened exactly, but Im sure everyone has been that guy who takes out a dozen cars in turn 1 of an important race... I know I have. One cant but learn the hard lesson, be more careful at the start and first lap and hopefully it never happens again.

@mrben09 sleep on it a couple of nights. We've all taken people out before and it's always a mistake so it always feels bad immediately. I don't think you should feel you need to yield places mate, just stick to a line and don't outbrake yourself under pressure (easily said). Remembering you me and @Meers battling it out at Donington (I think? Or someone else, maybe @Valver? You were there for sure) you can definitely mix it in the pack. And you rocketed past me at the start of this one, I guess that's the adrenaline that led to what happened next.

I avoided that first corner incident and then was looking to tangle with a few people but very very nearly punted @EuroVapeSim2in the tight hairpin near the end of the first lap, had to scrape the wall and go miles wide to avoid the crash - all my fault for getting a bit lost on my landmarks in all the excitement. Anyway, once I'd got back on the road it was a fairly quiet and mildly frustrating night for me, continued to struggle with the track/car combo and am looking forward to fighting again some other day in some other circuit :)

Couple of taps and knocks early on really shot my confidence but my car was so slow, It seems my pedal problem:

image.png.6e517eb0c9bab8460f0dc8b6070375cd.png

To be honest it felt when I was in the slow sections I could keep some pace.

Oh well tonight was good practice for letting faster cars pass 😄

56 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Gents, apologies especially @Count Buffalos . I have practised all week, and to do that on the 1st corner was unforgiveable. Basically due to other cars being on track I misjudged the whole fucking thing.

No excuses, straight red card for me. After that my heart wasn't in it. It's not in my nature to ruin other's nights, so it was time to get out. Even writing this makes me feel sooooo pissed off with myself. 

To be fair I might give it a miss for while because tonight was fucking shocking. As much I love the game I'm just not competitive within this group, and maybe need to do something else with my time. I don't think I've ever spent so much time on a game with such a great community (apart from the odd hour here and there it's the only game I play) but although I love the build up and the banter, I struggle with races and just give up every place without a fight so there's no accidents. Whereas in a public race I will hold onto every bit of tarmac as if my life depends on it.

I'm normally clocking in over 15 hours week (+ race night) for no improvement. Some long thinking to do. 

All that said I'm sure i'll convince myself to be back next week ! Once again sorry chaps (esp Nick) 

Sorry you feel like that @mrben09 but as bad you may feel, no one here would take it personally or feel pissed off with that, it's a healthy community so don't beat yourself up too much. You'll deffo be missed if you decide to take time off!

In fact I drove like an idiot today, was on fuel saving engine map for the start, getting in everyone's way, and also on the wrong traction control setting, causing me to go out of control with a big tank slapper collecting @winkyin the process. Winky I'm so sorry, I didn't actually realise there was contact until I saw the replay, feel really bad about that. Had aero damage so it was damage limitation for me from then on.

Enjoying VR A LOT, specially the close racing and fighting for positions, but I deffo took a step backwards in so far as consistency which I wasn't expecting! Part of it is the lower resolution, it's quite hard and tiring to focus on small things like apexes, also I'm still overwhelmed by everything and how to interact with menus effectively. It all feels a lot more intense which I love, I  feel like I just drove a real race! 

6 minutes ago, milko said:

Is that your full throttle @winky? I was wondering why I seemed to ease past you on a straight when your hotlap was so much better than mine! Can you calibrate it or is something going intermittently wrong there?

Yeah I had the problem in the past and recalibrated it before. However I had thought it had fixed itself, unfortunately this seemed to happen mid race. I thought that perhaps my car setup was wrong -  if I had realised sooner I could have recalibrated the pedal during the pit stop.

Having to completely relearn braking points and gearing was quite the challenge.

4 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

In fact I drove like an idiot today, was on fuel saving engine map for the start, getting in everyone's way, and also on the wrong traction control setting, causing me to go out of control with a big tank slapper collecting @winkyin the process. Winky I'm so sorry, I didn't actually realise there was contact until I saw the replay, feel really bad about that. Had aero damage so it was damage limitation for me from then on.

No problem mate, I am sure last week I did a Russel/Bottas on someone on the Imola straight so these things happen. My pace later on was the bigger issue as I could only go backwards and ended up pushing too hard at times.

@mrben09, it's absolutely fine, no need to dwell on it. I think that everyone has done  something similar, I know I have. I certainly gave @Valver a clout at the chicane when I outbraked  myself, although we had a good race against each other afterwards. Also, I think that you can absolutely mix it with others - we had a good battle at Hungary a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps consciously trying to avoid racing others leads to more mistakes as you tighten up or take lines you don't normally. We're a good, supportive group and I for one definitely would miss you racing.

Here's the leaderboard after 3 races:

image.thumb.png.fbe1842151294c5b8f46da4abc09edda.png

Still very close everywhere, so it's anyone's game. @texlex45 will be forced to use a GT4 car in the next GT3 race though! ;)

I had a great first stint. Ended up fighting @SANtoOos and @EuroVapeSim2 for 4th and they were a bit out of my league. Euro even overtook me in the bloody pits! The 2nd stint was a lonely affair, hence the Elvis imitation. Qualified 6th, finished 6th. Not too bad!

@mrben09, you are pretty competitive mate. Remember you leading the entire race at Suzuka? Pretty strong performance there. :hug:

18 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Enjoying VR A LOT, specially the close racing and fighting for positions, but I deffo took a step backwards in so far as consistency which I wasn't expecting! Part of it is the lower resolution, it's quite hard and tiring to focus on small things like apexes, also I'm still overwhelmed by everything and how to interact with menus effectively. It all feels a lot more intense which I love, I  feel like I just drove a real race! 

The low resolution sucks not sure what you are using but combinations of low in game resolution scale and oculus tray tool super sampling can improve clarity a bit. I also had to fiddle with an ini file to move the in game HUD back a bit so it was easier to see in the cockpit.

The thing that gets me is when I throw my hand in the air in frustration at something my brain has a moment because the in game avatar hands are still on the wheel 🤪

@mrben09 - hope you do decide to come back because I don't think anyone should fell they have to leave because of a small mistake.

5 minutes ago, winky said:

The low resolution sucks not sure what you are using but combinations of low in game resolution scale and oculus tray tool super sampling can improve clarity a bit. I also had to fiddle with an ini file to move the in game HUD back a bit so it was easier to see in the cockpit.

The thing that gets me is when I throw my hand in the air in frustration at something my brain has a moment because the in game avatar hands are still on the wheel 🤪

@mrben09 - hope you do decide to come back because I don't think anyone should fell they have to leave because of a small mistake.

Thanks man! Yeah sorry again about contact. Sharky helped me setup the tray tool and stuff, but resolution is still pretty low and my frame rate seems worse than before, just don't feel 100% confident (I was running 50fps on a flat screen). It doesn't help I'm trying to push and drive like last season when I was quite confident in my driving, but no excuses, so gonna try and take a step back and build up again, that helped when I first joined this league. 

20 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

@mrben09Perhaps consciously trying to avoid racing others leads to more mistakes as you tighten up or take lines you don't normally. We're a good, supportive group and I for one definitely would miss you racing.

This is good advice @mrben09 Personally I make a lot of mistakes when going out of my way or driving slowly. By trying to move out of people's way you're hurting your own pace and enhancing stress levels. Perhaps a confident zen approach could help? Drive at your pace and let the rest worry about overtaking if that's what's happening, but you'll find as you build confidence your pace will increase quickly! I definitely remember you going out of your way too much in certain occasions when I felt you didn't have to. At the end of the day it's all about enjoying all this :)

Hope you guys had a good race.  I've felt like that at times @mrben09, but you've definitely improved a lot and you'd be really missed if you took a break.

When you guys have signed up to simracing.gp can you PM me with the email address that is associated with your account there (if you registered with your Steam account it'd be the email address linked to that).  I'll send invites out to add you to the community.

My race highlights video shows some of the start lap action, but doesn't actually have much of what I know went on later in the race.  No idea why.

I had a crappy qualifying session, without the "one flying lap" pressure of the GT4 events we've had previously, my brain just sort of relaxed and said "do a banker lap"  but I got stuck in that mode and never turned up the wick!

In the race I had a coming together with @EuroVapeSim2 after @Meers and @SANtoOos had their battle around him and I think he went wide at some point...  I  caught him up, and got a tow down the start finish straight, pulled over to the right and tried to bung myself up the inside.    Probably my fault as I wasn't fully alongside at the turn in point - but I came off worse out of the pair of us, as I spun out onto the gravel.  Sorry Euro - didn't mean to cause that!  Hope I didn't ruin your car/race, but I saw a gap and felt I had to have  go!

And then after my pit stop just after the half way point I got caught by @Count Buffalos.  I really struggled with the pressure of him being behind and made mistake after mistake.   My repeated apex missing must have confused him because suddenly I got shunted in a slightly random fashion at the final chicane.  I was expecting contact or an overtake in lots of other places - but not there. :lol:  We both got going again and a few laps later you made it past me - but then, freed of the paranoia and constant mirror checking, my pace shot up and I stuck on your bumper for about 15 laps to the end!  That was intense - really good fun trying to keep up.  There were two places I was even a smidge quicker - but I never felt I was going to be able to pull off a pass.  I think you crossed the line 0.7s ahead of me.  Great racing!

I got 3 track limits warnings chasing you too - so I was really trying! 

@mrben09 - don't quit dude.  Ive really enjoyed our races and little tussles.  And how you can say you haven't improved - that's plainly not true.  You were out qualifying me by miles recently - and I always thought I was waaay better than you ;)

:hug:

29 minutes ago, Valver said:

Probably my fault as I wasn't fully alongside at the turn in point - but I came off worse out of the pair of us, as I spun out onto the gravel.  Sorry Euro - didn't mean to cause that!  Hope I didn't ruin your car/race, but I saw a gap and felt I had to have  go!

Honestly I have to take the blame for this one, I turned in on you. You were alongside in the braking zone I saw on the radar. After I turned in I realised I was still aiming for the edge of the curb and I wasn't leaving enough space for you. It was just bad driving from me and my lack of experience. Sorry for causing you to spin and running your race, I got through without damage and just got out ahead of @Meers in the pitstop after going wide and losing positions I gained in the first stint. I put a couple liters less than fifty as I was still carrying an extra couple liters from the first stint, I think this is how I pulled it off. Managed to pull away and finish fifth, I'm happy with that considering my sloppy driving in early in the race.

Gent's, genuine thanks all for your support, it really shows the quality of the community we have here. So I guess it's nut down and hit those apexes. I really need to get into setup. I've picked up some bits and pieces here but I think some real studying will be necessary to improve. I've gone through the online guides, but I think I need to go deeper and try and understand the physics of what is actually happening. Obviously last night was more simpler to determine. Don't think a corner is a further 100m down the track is a pretty simple rule. 

As a heads up, next race season will be tricky as the mighty Hammers have qualified for Europe, and I want to get to a few games. I cannot foresee a future of playing ACC on a phone whilst half pissed inside the Lazio / Leverkusen / West Ham (delete as appropriate) stadium so will be out of commission for a few weeks,  but I will try and join practice sessions to keep current. 

I've sent simracing.gp invites to those who's email address was known to me (from when we did the multiclass race). 

• If you already have a simracing.gp account tied to that email address you can just accept the invite
  • If you don't already have an account tied to that address I think it'll ask you to sign up
  • If you already have an account with a different email address, PM me with that address and I'll remove the invite associated with the address I used

If you haven't had an invite PM me your email address and I'll sort

I love that guy. IIRC the story goes that it had a seized engine or something, so he bought it non-running for like $1000 and then sold off the rest of the drivetrain for spares so he essentially got it for free. 

Then he spends another five grand on sim hardware to put in it, obviously 😆

I think he said he wanted to do it in an M3 but couldn’t find one that was wrecked internally but still OK on the outside. So the BMW Mini was the best he could find.

13 hours ago, mrben09 said:

I can definitely understand that frustration @mrben09. Some of the best tips I've received for practice is to generally focus a practice session on one aspect you would like to improve. For example, you could do a practice session with a focus solely on trailbraking or on using as much of the track as possible and ignoring the other aspects at that time. Trying to focus on everything at once will likely just lead to an overload of the brain and frustration at the lack of improvement. 

Some of the best resources on the fundamentals are the Driver 61 articles and videos (https://driver61.com/uni/) which explain the most important concepts in depth. If anyone wants to invest some hard-earned cash, I can also recommend their Pure Pace Masterclass online course (cost around 100 USD when I did it). You get 4 modules which unlock progressively each week and every week you get a 5-on-1 group coaching session with an instructor as well (unfortunately all the training was in iracing but its still helpful). It gave me some important feedback on driving habits and can make you aware of mistakes you don't even know about. 

Lastly, I also extend @Erik 's offer to you and anyone else to practice together and get someone else's view on the driving. I am by no means an alien but I think an objective outside view can always help 😄

1 minute ago, texlex45 said:

Lastly, I also extend @Erik 's offer to you and anyone else to practice together and get someone else's view on the driving. I am by no means an alien but I think an objective outside view can always help 😄

I'd defo be up for this, either with you or @Erik.  I've got to a point where I'm missing a couple of seconds to alien times and have no idea how to improve, any tips would be gratefully received!

6 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I'd defo be up for this, either with you or @Erik.  I've got to a point where I'm missing a couple of seconds to alien times and have no idea how to improve, any tips would be gratefully received!

Sure! Feel free to send me a PM to organize a session 😄 🏎️

2 hours ago, davejm said:

I've sent simracing.gp invites to those who's email address was known to me (from when we did the multiclass race). 

• If you already have a simracing.gp account tied to that email address you can just accept the invite
  • If you don't already have an account tied to that address I think it'll ask you to sign up
  • If you already have an account with a different email address, PM me with that address and I'll remove the invite associated with the address I used

If you haven't had an invite PM me your email address and I'll sort

Thanks Dave. I've received the invite but the only option in the email was to view the community. I can't see any option to join it, or any pending invitations. 

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance