IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge S10 Round 6 | Suzuka

davejm

18.33!

overtheline.gif

But seriously, probably takes the pressure off nicely. I doubt I can do ten straight laps of this place without binning it spectacularly. Also you did like 110 laps damn  I could not match that dedication at the moment.

Bit of an embarrassing night there for me chaps . Had to get off before I ruined someone else’s evening as well.

Apologies to anyone I may have distracted. 

@mrben09 no worries man, there was one moment where it got a bit exciting for me as you spun just as I was coming up to pass, but that track was pretty brutal, I don't think any of us got through without at least one mess-up. Several for me! Had the pace but not the consistency, which may as well be inscribed on my ACC tombstone. Nearly got into some races tonight but took myself out of them in short order almost every time. Hard to concentrate for pretty much the last half of that race! Well done all on surviving another season anyway, especially @SneakyNinja for the overall title. @EuroVapeSim2 and @Meers keep getting faster, every time I think I'm getting up to your pace my hopes are dashed! (Symbolically too with tonight's pole and then fastest lap late on, damn you both :)). Maybe when I get my new racing seat set up it'll magically give me a speed boost. 

That was some really fun racing tonight, laguna seca is always a difficult track and conditions were tough as the race progressed with the temperatures dropping and tyres completely dying. Went off at the corkscrew twice, once hitting the barrier and the second time down through the gravel and which let sneaky through into the lead. Changed onto a set set of tyres on the second round of pitstops, topped up the pressures a bit and chased down sneaky on very battered tyres to retake the lead a few laps before the end.

@mrben09 no worries on my end either, we made a bit of contact in the last sector, I got away with very little damage. I wasn't expecting you where you had slowed down, I had just watched @davejm I believe going through the gravel so I was distracted coming around the bend.

Congratulations to @SneakyNinja well deserved season win! I'll be sure to give your a good fight next season.

Morning guys.  Straight into a new season I think, with a short 4 round mini-season taking in the new cup and challenger class DLC cars.

Here's what I have so far...

image.png.cb456611e432a0777087e313fafc52c8.png

Does anyone want to pick a track for the Lambo and Porsche races?  Perhaps from the following list of circuits that we haven't visited in a while:-

• Zolder, Hungaroring, Barcelona, Mount Panaramo, Snetterton, Zandvoort

For the mid season break @Valver and I discussed doing a roll-call to see who owns Automobilista 2; for the mid season break.  Who has the game?

It's currently £4.79 at CDkeys or part of the Humble Bundle sim-racing bundle at the £9.85 tier...

https://www.cdkeys.com/automobilista-2-pc-steam

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/ultimate-racing-sim-bundle

Server is configured for Oulton Park.... GO GO GO!!!

Lots of things to cover here.

Barca for lambo

Yes I have Automobilista 2 (uninstalled !)

Well done @SneakyNinja

And welcome our new sponsor Max Wings Restaurant of Bogota Columbia.  Google tells me they are now permanently closed, but maybe they are just celebrating our first two time winner of the RLLMUKMID. With a co-sponsorship from our newly launched website, the trophy has grown a little. I'm hoping in time it will become like the monstrosities they hand out in F1 in the Middle East.

Anyway on with the show. 

22 hours ago, mrben09 said:

I'd bump up the PSU to 850W, so if you do come across a decent 3000 series card at some point, it will drop in no issues. Ah, I see you already have it, and the 550 will run what you have currently so just bear it in mind.

I'd probably go for a modular PSU as well (the cables out to the components are plugged into the PSU separately rather than that one fat cable bundle coming out ), but that's just personal preference (and now a moot point).

Windows licence keys. https://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/search.php?search_query=windows+10+pro&x=0&y=0 Others may have an opinion. I've never had an issue with these guys.  

I've got a the Intel version of that board. Its fine. 

CPU. I know nothing about AMD, but sure it will be ok.

SSD. Good choice !

Cheers for the tips mate. I've now ordered this PSU and returned the other one.  

8 hours ago, milko said:

@EuroVapeSim2 and @Meers keep getting faster, every time I think I'm getting up to your pace my hopes are dashed! (Symbolically too with tonight's pole and then fastest lap late on, damn you both :)). Maybe when I get my new racing seat set up it'll magically give me a speed boost. 

Couldn't believe I got fastest lap under racing conditions!

8 hours ago, davejm said:

Nice one guys, and well done on another season complete.  Congrats to @SneakyNinja :)

Here were the final standings...

image.thumb.png.953561c5eb3711760a3d51ded17117ac.png

Obligatory:

image.thumb.png.317ae3a733e5361c4b6271360156893c.png

Congrats to @SneakyNinja and @EuroVapeSim2 for P1 and P2! 

I loved last nights race. Love Laguna Seca and I was in the zone for almost the entire race (usually I'm dozing off later in the race). Must be all the endurance racing lately.¬†ūüėú

I had 3 big moments where I hit certain sausages too hard, and in hindsight I shouldn't have changed tyres during my 2nd stint (but it allowed me to have correct pressures again so I had that going for me, which is nice). Lost too much time with it though. Great season for me with a P1 in Silverstone and improving massively overall.

I would like to thank my parents, my wife and kids for making this possible, the rllmuk racing league members for being excellent opponents and very skilled sim racers, and the guys at Prime Motorsport for honing my skills. Love you all!

This season went down to the line with @SneakyNinja pipping @EuroVapeSim2 to the title in the last race. Well done all. Good performances this year from @milko, and @davejm getting a credible 4th in only 8 races.

But the MID trophy this season will go to @Meers following his ascendancy from mid table to champions league this season, and rightfully taking a place at the top table.  

The emotion of the Donington (checks notes......) Silverstone win rivaled Yarmalenko's winner against Villa, for me in the last month.

ACC parrotS8vFinal.jpg

25 minutes ago, Meers said:

Couldn't believe I got fastest lap under racing conditions!

You had a lot of pace at the end. When I set the previous speediest lap I had about 100 litres on, so I'd been expecting it to go but it seemed to last and last until I dared to think it would stay mine. Ha!

I also have Automobilista 2. 

2 hours ago, davejm said:

For the mid season break @Valver and I discussed doing a roll-call to see who owns Automobilista 2; for the mid season break.  Who has the game?

It's currently £4.79 at CDkeys or part of the Humble Bundle sim-racing bundle at the £9.85 tier...

https://www.cdkeys.com/automobilista-2-pc-steam

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/ultimate-racing-sim-bundle

Server is configured for Oulton Park.... GO GO GO!!!

I don't have AM2 yet but I'll see if I can get it amidst my new PC purchases bonanza.

1 hour ago, mrben09 said:

But the MID trophy this season will go to @Meers following his ascendancy from mid table to champions league this season, and rightfully taking a place at the top table.  

The emotion of the Donington (checks notes......) Silverstone win rivaled Yarmalenko's winner against Villa, for me in the last month.

bowing-thank-you.gif

Thank you, sir!

1 hour ago, milko said:

You had a lot of pace at the end. When I set the previous speediest lap I had about 100 litres on, so I'd been expecting it to go but it seemed to last and last until I dared to think it would stay mine. Ha!

Doing the tyre change with adjusted pressures did help, at the cost of track position. But tbf I regret doing it as my pressures were still fine (between 27.0 and 27.5 psi hot). Also did a splash n dash as I still had a plenty of fuel with me.

Winner winner chicken dinner! 

Quite the surprise but I'll take it :) 

MID trophy thoroughly well deserved by @Meers. You're a LOT faster now and regularly leave me for dead. (Remember being a whole pit stop faster in Imola?) Any improvement tips gratefully received! 

Laguna is quite an unforgiving track so I took things easy, trading raw speed for lack of mistakes, which is my usual approach really. Given that I don't have a lot of raw pace to start with it's a delicate balance.

Well done to @EuroVapeSim2 on the win - even with your incidents you were still quick enough to easily catch and overtake me. In my defence, I didn't change tyres and got the pressures a bit wrong so by the end they were at 25psi. Handily, the BMW has a big display on the dash which marks the tyres as YELLOW!! FUCK FUCK! when the pressures drop, which wasn't distracting AT ALL. I just didn't have the mental capacity to work out if it was worth changing them or what pressures to set the new ones to.. or even how to do it, so I just adjusted my driving to cope.

To make things more interesting, I left my brakes on pad 1 which meant by the end I was having to brake super early for the big stops. Still, it worked - no 'offs' and 2nd overall. That'll do pig, that'll do.

Really looking forward to more racing with you guys and continuing the never ending quest to go faster.

(I've got Automobilista 2 and up for a go on that too)

I really don't know how you do it @SneakyNinja - I frequently set myself up to drive cautiously and within safety margins and it almost never helps, I just crash in different ways :lol:

It's absolutely my priority to work on now. Along with mucking around changing car, but maybe if I choose the new Audi or something it'll help. But I wanted to go Lambo! I'll have to play around and see.

For the Porsche 992 Cup race @davejm, would it be madness to say we're well due Barfhurst? I don't know why I'm posting about improving my safety in one paragraph and suggesting that the next. I think Zaaaaandvooooort is the other one we've not been at for longest.

9 minutes ago, milko said:

I really don't know how you do it @SneakyNinja - I frequently set myself up to drive cautiously and within safety margins and it almost never helps, I just crash in different ways :lol:

It's absolutely my priority to work on now. Along with mucking around changing car, but maybe if I choose the new Audi or something it'll help. But I wanted to go Lambo! I'll have to play around and see.

Here's my super-secret method...

Start with the default aggressive setup and adjust tyre pressures accordingly. Blat around for a bit playing with the rear ride height and wing until there's as little understeer as possible, and the rear is slidey enough to get a bit of extra turn in by coming off the brakes quicker mid-turn if need be. (I don't often do it, but having the car behave like that seems to suit my style)

Then do a few runs to get a consistent lap time - need to be able to lap within a few tenths without issue or mistakes. Only mess with the setup if you need to dial out something specific that's causing major issues. 

Now the science bit - go out with the TC turned down or even off and Tokyo drift a few laps. Drive it like you stole it and get a feel for how the car behaves over the limit, what corners are especially nasty etc.

When you switch back to calmer, consistent mode it won't be an issue if the car starts to go, as you know what it feels like. Judging by the skid marks often seen on track, a lot of people's crashes are caused by losing the rear on corner exit. Turn the TC up, and/or be gentler with the loud pedal (something I struggle with). :) 

36 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

MID trophy thoroughly well deserved by @Meers. You're a LOT faster now and regularly leave me for dead. (Remember being a whole pit stop faster in Imola?) Any improvement tips gratefully received! 

Well like I said before, I flicked a mental switch and took¬†@Erik's motto to heart (max wing, hit every apex, ride every kerb). I watched my own replays and discovered that I was not using the full width of the track or the best racing lines so I started working on that. Also learned a lot from the setup chats in the Prime Motorsport discord, plus Erik and Nico have analysed my driving and gave me a couple of tips (next to 'the motto', such as leaving as little time between braking and accelerating as possible). I also feel much more in control of the car(s) since the 1.8 update which helped as well (butitsthesameforeveryonebwoah). The M4 seems to suit my driving style better too (it's not cheating, honest!).¬†Biggest factor is probably you guys forcing me to become faster or otherwise sell my rig.¬†ūüėÖ

Absolutely loved chasing you and Cillian last night. Some of the best racing for position I've had in this game.

My setup last night was just the standard aggressive one with wings max, tyre pressures adjusted to track conditions and brake ducts one click lower each. BB a little back (54%) and steering angle to 13. I don't know if I changed the arbs too, can't remember.

Edit: Oh, I had the TC on 9, ABS on 6. Because I coast as little as possible, I tend to hammer the throttle down coming out of corners. I don't like wrestling the car at all, hence.

33 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Here's my super-secret method...

Start with the default aggressive setup and adjust tyre pressures accordingly. Blat around for a bit playing with the rear ride height and wing until there's as little understeer as possible, and the rear is slidey enough to get a bit of extra turn in by coming off the brakes quicker mid-turn if need be. (I don't often do it, but having the car behave like that seems to suit my style)

Then do a few runs to get a consistent lap time - need to be able to lap within a few tenths without issue or mistakes. Only mess with the setup if you need to dial out something specific that's causing major issues. 

Now the science bit - go out with the TC turned down or even off and Tokyo drift a few laps. Drive it like you stole it and get a feel for how the car behaves over the limit, what corners are especially nasty etc.

When you switch back to calmer, consistent mode it won't be an issue if the car starts to go, as you know what it feels like. Judging by the skid marks often seen on track, a lot of people's crashes are caused by losing the rear on corner exit. Turn the TC up, and/or be gentler with the loud pedal (something I struggle with). :) 

Interesting! I think all of my struggles at Laguna Seca were from hitting a sausage or bottoming out in the corkscrew, errors in where I'm pointing it basically, but corner exits have certainly been an issue for my leaden right foot in the past. In terms of setup I also tweak default aggressive much as you do really, at least normally, and my laptimes have become very reliable (Dave's server consistency ratings have me pretty much top out of all of us!). It's just that sometimes some sort of landmine randomly goes off under the car and takes me out :)

I did stumble across a McLaren setup which seems to work for me almost everywhere that has stiffened up the arbs a lot among other shocks/damper changes, it makes the car feel incredibly planted...most of the time, so I try that out as well and pick the one that feels least deadly. Maybe if I pick a car that is a bit happier riding kerbs I'll do better.

14 minutes ago, milko said:

Interesting! I think all of my struggles at Laguna Seca were from hitting a sausage or bottoming out in the corkscrew, errors in where I'm pointing it basically, but corner exits have certainly been an issue for my leaden right foot in the past. In terms of setup I also tweak default aggressive much as you do really, at least normally, and my laptimes have become very reliable (Dave's server consistency ratings have me pretty much top out of all of us!). It's just that sometimes some sort of landmine randomly goes off under the car and takes me out :)

I did stumble across a McLaren setup which seems to work for me almost everywhere that has stiffened up the arbs a lot among other shocks/damper changes, it makes the car feel incredibly planted...most of the time, so I try that out as well and pick the one that feels least deadly. Maybe if I pick a car that is a bit happier riding kerbs I'll do better.

You've pretty much nailed one of my main issues - I'm too scared of kerbs. As anyone following me will have noticed, I don't use enough of the track, especially the kerbs.

I think it goes back to the old Geoff Crammond Grand Prix days on the Amiga where they were insta-death. I just can't unlearn that! 

36 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

5 days left to get this little bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/games/ultimate-racing-sim-bundle

Ordered!

8 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

You've pretty much nailed one of my main issues - I'm too scared of kerbs. As anyone following me will have noticed, I don't use enough of the track, especially the kerbs.

I think it goes back to the old Geoff Crammond Grand Prix days on the Amiga where they were insta-death. I just can't unlearn that! 

Was the same for me, and it's one of the issues I had to overcome first (especially the Imola one on top of the hill). 

And I did indeed notice your avoidance of kerb stones.

16 minutes ago, milko said:

imagine how fast @Meers is going to go when he's built up this new PC and doesn't have to have slide-show frame rates at sunrise/sunset. Maybe even use mirrors too!

Man, I'd mostly welcome the mirrors. I mean, it's okay now with the crew chief/radar/surround sound/look back button/proxy arrows combo I'm using now, but mirrors would heavily cut back on the use of additional warning systems, NGL.

The slide-show framerate during sunset wasn't as bad as during our Nurbs race, but it still dropped from 60 to 45fps last night. The Ryzen 5 will give me a comfortable overhead, I suspect. Limiting factor this time around will be my TV's refresh rate (60Hz), but I could always swap it with the telly from downstairs (OLED, 120Hz).

I'd have thought if you're frame locked at 60Hz you'll be fine anyway, but if you can coax 120fps out of it in traffic then it's worth a try!

I really struggled with my mirrors last night, in T1 with you and then a lot later on passing Valver my situational awareness was not all it should have been. For some reason it seemed like my steering wheel and arm got in the way of the dashboard screen.

32 minutes ago, milko said:

I'd have thought if you're frame locked at 60Hz you'll be fine anyway, but if you can coax 120fps out of it in traffic then it's worth a try!

60fps with a very low frametime latency and graphics to max is probably what I'll be going for. Not sure if the 1070 will be good enough for VR?

I don't know for sure what you need for VR in this case - it's way more CPU-bound than most games in VR. I think there's a few people on the Kunos forums running 1070s with success but of course everybody's got different criteria for what that means.

5 minutes ago, Meers said:

60fps with a very low frametime latency and graphics to max is probably what I'll be going for. Not sure if the 1070 will be good enough for VR?

You might just get away with it. Here's a comparison with my card..

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/3609vs4045

I have to turn things down a bit in VR, but it's good enough for me - but it's paired with a Ryzen 7.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge S10 Round 6 | Suzuka