IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT U.S Cup starting Thursday!

davejm

1 hour ago, Meers said:

It's race day! Please make sure you've registered for the race

I just registered with the Aston. I was visiting family in Ireland until yesterday so I've had zero practice yet, I went with the Aston as its the GT4 I've driven the most in past leagues.

24 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

I just registered with the Aston. I was visiting family in Ireland until yesterday so I've had zero practice yet, I went with the Aston as its the GT4 I've driven the most in past leagues.

Nice one mate. I'm sure you'll do just fine without any practice. 😅

Guys, question about replays:

Is it possible to increase the graphical fidelity (temporarily) so that the replays look better (until my PC hits, say, 30fps)? Or does it bake the graphical settings that were used during the race into the replay?

Just wondering if I can record replays with better visuals this way because during the race I have most PP settings on low or off in order to hit 60fps whilst racing.

Anyone tried/know this?

I was under the impression the replays will play at whatever settings you have at the time of playback, they're replays of the data rather than hard-coded video. So if you want to try and change to UberFancyGFX and play it you can, but may still have frame-rate issues if you go too far even though it's not going to be as harsh as if you're actually driving.

I haven't thought too deeply about this so may be mistaken!

Yeah, I have a settings preset specifically that I use for replays.  In-game I turn a few things down so that I can hit 100fps+ (when in pancake mode, at least), but that's overkill framerate for Youtube so I have a preset that uses super sampling and literally every other setting on max/epic.  So it's not as high FPS as I would play with, but still over 60fps for uploading.

interesting-batman.gif

I'm going to give it a shot and see if I can run my replays with nicer graphics until I hit 30fps (as a bare minimum). Currently my replays are hitting 60fps (in-car) and 45fps in the aerial views so there's a bit of room for some fancy effects. Saving a preset for replays sounds like a solid idea!

My laptop might not be setting foot in potato territories just yet! 😅

I think this is fitting:

image.png.015c839090058c3bc7c01f2234a452f7.png

Also, I don't think the replays use the same graphics settings as the main game, there're separate options for replays via the main options menu.

I think I'm racing later 😊 

Edit - simracing.gp page won't load though, so I can't register at the moment.

33 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Also, I don't think the replays use the same graphics settings as the main game, there're separate options for replays via the main options menu.

Hmmm well if that's the case then no joy as I'm already on the highest settings there. 😕

33 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I think I'm racing later 😊 

giphy.gif

51 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Edit - simracing.gp page won't load though, so I can't register at the moment.

Hmm strange, it loads fine for me.

On 23/02/2022 at 06:58, Erik said:

Cross platform play wont be a thing. Consoles will be always dragging behind PC updates, they have cut corners in places in physics and even the latest gen only supports max 30 cars, older ones 20.

They don't even have version parity between the consoles, Xbox is running 1.7.8.2 and PS5 1.7.7.5, I'd guess there is likely to be some differences even between the 2 consoles too.  I also wonder if some of the bugs we'll find will already have been addressed in existing 'future' PC versions

I worry that us console guys are going to sour the PC crew's positive and fun thread, and am wondering again if we should start a console specific thread where we can moan? 

This is clearly not the same game ;)  At the same time, I also wonder how many of us will stick to it, so it could become a quiet thread quickly... hmm.

Anyway...

I did 30 minutes at Monza last night to familiarise (quick race, rookie settings, so no tyres, fuel or stops)  I also had AI set to an easy setting (83 or something, scale is 80-100) and actually quite enjoyed it.  I'm not that fast, so it might be that I'm not pushing, but it's certainly playable. I can feel the car moving around, and sometimes react quick enough to catch it, other times, I over redact and spin the other way (I need to get over that!)  In 30 minutes, I spun 3 times, once assisted by an AI car in an awkward place.

The plus points:

• It's hitting a steads 60fps.
  • It largely looks quite pretty.  I mean, like a PS4 game even (that's not a typo).
  • The amount of things you can customise is nice.  Good to have FOV in a console game, even if my brain tells me it's all wrong :S
  • The AI isn't too bad - this probably comes from playing GT Sport where the AI is a slow train, and perhaps is because I'm not that good at this, but 30 minutes on 83AI starting 23rd, I only finished 4th with 3 spins.  There is a ways to go to get to 100..

The negatives:

• Bugs - for example, it not recognising pedals when you first boot it, load settings, don't do anything, it's fine.
  • The comedy rear view.  Ever wondered what ACC would look like on a PS1?
  • Controls - additional wheel buttons that worked in PS4 not being mappable here is frustrating with all of the in ca
  • Did I mention bugs - like going to the car select screen and the audio screwing up, like it's trying to play some music, and static idling car and racing in car all at once, what a mess - and on BOTH Xbox and PS5
  • FFB.  I have a semi-decent feel now.  I can control the car, feel it starting to slide and correct, but it feels faint.  I'm running the 8Nm DD at 90%.  The "road effects" feels a bit extreme, despite me having it set to 5% (maybe I need to turn it completely off!)  I can't help but think they've just balanced it all wrong.  With GAIN set to 100% coming into Curva Grande I get clipping.  I can see the FF gauge (bottom right corner of screen) hitting 100% and the wheel going light.  It I turn it down to GAIN 90 it's fine, 85 feels better, lower and the other more subtle forces start to disappear.  Through Curva Grande I feel the wheel getting subtly heavier as I turn in and the car / suspension is loading up, but then the the wheel jumps hugely (pot hole?) and then goes back down.  My thinking being that the pot hole feel scale is WAY too emphasised. Given the range (if that's the right word) of my DD, I wouldn't be surprised if wheels that can't go from 0-8Nm simply only feel the pot hole...
  • It's got "did they even bother to play test this" level of bugs.  I loaded into a race day 1 where the wheel oscillated so violently, that I actually started to feel nauseous trying to grab it tight enough with 2 hands to move my finger to the pause button.  I went into the controls menu, changed no settings as I had no idea what to change, and when I went back to the practice, it was fine...

If I turned off the rear view mirror, which I'm reluctant to do as I use it, it'd look fairly pretty.  Excuse the compressed PS messenger to FB messenger to my phone to here image (ignore my ratings pls!).  Maybe in real life they've just fitted all cars with a camera and a Pentium 3 that reads the camera and renders it at 100px with no shadows...

273861085_407369404480811_3724490249804247793_n.thumb.jpg.0dcc5df37f3702a92cd195f09742bae8.jpg

Can you customize mirror(=rear view) on consoles? On PC it has major effect on performance so many, me included, set it low resolution and framerate. Some turn mirror completely off and rely on radar.

30 minutes ago, Corranga said:
  • FFB.  I have a semi-decent feel now.  I can control the car, feel it starting to slide and correct, but it feels faint.  I'm running the 8Nm DD at 90%.  The "road effects" feels a bit extreme, despite me having it set to 5% (maybe I need to turn it completely off!)  I can't help but think they've just balanced it all wrong.  With GAIN set to 100% coming into Curva Grande I get clipping.  I can see the FF gauge (bottom right corner of screen) hitting 100% and the wheel going light.  It I turn it down to GAIN 90 it's fine, 85 feels better, lower and the other more subtle forces start to disappear.  Through Curva Grande I feel the wheel getting subtly heavier as I turn in and the car / suspension is loading up, but then the the wheel jumps hugely (pot hole?) and then goes back down.  My thinking being that the pot hole feel scale is WAY too emphasised. Given the range (if that's the right word) of my DD, I wouldn't be surprised if wheels that can't go from 0-8Nm simply only feel the pot hole...

I want to comment this a bit. In ACC they didnt want to create FFB that has effects, but rather a simulation of what kind of forces a driver feels through steering wheel in these cars. This is why FFB different quite a bit from car to car: they have different power steering, different suspension geometry, you can feel cold and hot tyres differently, car setup effects FFB feel etc.

"road effects" are completely artificial and there for people who like FFB like it is in some other games. You wont miss anything if you turn it off. Play a bit with gain and damper. If you have no wheel oscillation on straights then damper can be 0 or 1 %. Turn off centering and damper in wheel drivers.

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

They don't even have version parity between the consoles, Xbox is running 1.7.8.2 and PS5 1.7.7.5, I'd guess there is likely to be some differences even between the 2 consoles too.  I also wonder if some of the bugs we'll find will already have been addressed in existing 'future' PC versions

I worry that us console guys are going to sour the PC crew's positive and fun thread, and am wondering again if we should start a console specific thread where we can moan? 

This is clearly not the same game ;)  At the same time, I also wonder how many of us will stick to it, so it could become a quiet thread quickly... hmm.

Keep the chat in here, I say. It's the same game but I feel console ports are a bit too much to handle for a team of 30 people. I assume the console ports haven't been outsourced?

And what Erik said.

If you can, I'd advise you to get the PC version - it's the greatest sim ever created. I'm not PCMR at all, but this needs to be experienced on its original format, even on a potato laptop like mine.

I've had a bit of a more positive experience :)

I also sat down with it for an hour or so last night, starting out on the career mode again (so, hot laps at Monza in dry, wet and night conditions if you can't remember that far back :))

It felt to me like a spongy layer of insulation had been removed between me and the car.  In the PS4 version (which I didn't play much, as the lower FPS versus GT Sport made my head hurt) I'd often feel like a passenger as I span, reacting far too late, and actually not feeling anything until I was at 90+ degrees to the track.  The PS5 version feels much more responsive in this regard, and, like @Corranga, I was able to catch the car when it started to oversteer... sometimes.

I haven't had any of the odd control issues others have reported, other than the button bindings not being per device, so if you fire it up with a controller, you'll get controller bindings, but if you then switch to a wheel, it'll keep those bindings so gear up/down will be on the X and square buttons, not the wheels paddles - handy.

The only "bug" I've really seen is the sound when you quit out of a session.  You get the sim sounds in the menu for a second or so, so if you were heading straight to the scene of an accident when you paused... well, you get to hear it all unfold in glorious stereo from the menu.

I went back to GT Sport after my hour of ACC and it felt a bit like a toy.  Flat roads, and a lot less going on under the car.  But then I had a really good race with randoms in one of the daily races and remembered that that is what GT Sport does so well.  I don't think I'd know where to start to find something similar in ACC on console.

1 hour ago, Erik said:

"road effects" are completely artificial and there for people who like FFB like it is in some other games. You wont miss anything if you turn it off. Play a bit with gain and damper. If you have no wheel oscillation on straights then damper can be 0 or 1 %. Turn off centering and damper in wheel drivers.

Thanks for this.  I saw it was at 0% and thought "well that can't be right" and put it at 50%.  I didn't like it :)

33 minutes ago, Meers said:

I feel console ports are a bit too much to handle for a team of 30 people. I assume the console ports haven't been outsourced?

It was indeed outsourced

10 minutes ago, Meers said:

A quick search on who handled the port didn't bring back any results, so who was port? 😅

😆

when ur with ur PS4 and ACC full of bugs and it crash to desktop and davejm say it outsourced but meers say no ….

1 minute ago, winky said:

😆

when ur with ur PS4 and ACC full of bugs and it crash to desktop and davejm say it outsourced but meers say no ….

That last bit should be the other way around! :blah:

2 hours ago, Erik said:

I want to comment this a bit. In ACC they didnt want to create FFB that has effects, but rather a simulation of what kind of forces a driver feels through steering wheel in these cars. This is why FFB different quite a bit from car to car: they have different power steering, different suspension geometry, you can feel cold and hot tyres differently, car setup effects FFB feel etc.

This is good to know.  I'll do as you suggest.  I randomly chose the Aston Martin (2019 I think) and will stick with that for now as I can drive it ok, and I often need a bit of time to adjust to the feel of a different car in GT Sport which I know best, so I don't think this would be any different.

Moving on a little to FOV...

I googled, found a calculator, and picked up a measuring tape, so I'm set to 32 degrees as per the outcome.

I found that the game was 'looking at it's feet' so then adjusted the pitch to something I was more comfortable.

This is probably a really stupid question, but is this common?  I thought it might simply be based on where I sit compared to my TV, but then that didn't make much sense either.. 

Next time in GT Sport I'll be giving the kerbs a massive wide berth as my brain will be telling me the car is wider than it actually is :lol:

2 minutes ago, Corranga said:

This is good to know.  I'll do as you suggest.  I randomly chose the Aston Martin (2019 I think) and will stick with that for now as I can drive it ok, and I often need a bit of time to adjust to the feel of a different car in GT Sport which I know best, so I don't think this would be any different.

Moving on a little to FOV...

I googled, found a calculator, and picked up a measuring tape, so I'm set to 32 degrees as per the outcome.

I found that the game was 'looking at it's feet' so then adjusted the pitch to something I was more comfortable.

This is probably a really stupid question, but is this common?  I thought it might simply be based on where I sit compared to my TV, but then that didn't make much sense either.. 

Next time in GT Sport I'll be giving the kerbs a massive wide berth as my brain will be telling me the car is wider than it actually is :lol:

In ACC one sets the vertical angle fov, so make sure thats what you calculate. 😉

6 minutes ago, Erik said:

In ACC one sets the vertical angle fov, so make sure thats what you calculate. 😉

I used a calculator that stated the game to ensure I got it right :D

https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/

Via Driver 61: https://driver61.com/sim-racing/how-to-set-fov-in-assetto-corsa-and-assetto-corsa-competizione/ 

I'm approx. 140cm from a 65inch TV

total cock up, joined late to qualifying, dint get full lap in, hadn't noticed first race was in the morning tire pressures never got close, had an off on last lap of first race that damaged my aero and it carried into second race, pitted as it was a nightmare on sweeping turns, got a stop go on pit exit.

elden ring now so I can stab some sheep in the face.

@Olivia Neutron Bomb on that second race I was a bit worried I'd put you in the pits, I'd tried to go around the outside but you squeezed me and I ended up half on the grass. Probably should've just been more conservative and tucked in behind but I had other people all over the back of me that I was scared about. Still learning this stuff. Anyway, hope I didn't do anything annoying for you. Early days back, it'll go better.

Really enjoyed chasing @mrben09 afterwards, I had to be patient and wait for my chance, that was good stuff. Cheers all for a nice evening, I needed that after a rough old working day.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT U.S Cup starting Thursday!