Jump to content

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone


davejm
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, milko said:

what did you go for in the end? I've been contemplating that fancy new 5800x3D if I have any money in a month or two's time. Then I start wondering if getting the tail end of a generation is a bad idea since the next set will also need the new motherboard/RAM etc. But I don't upgrade often so it probably will anyway! Then I get tired of researching and just don't bother.

My build was a semi-budgeted build. I went for the 5600x, ASUS B550 TUF motherboard, 16GB ram @3200mhz and a 1TB Samsung 980 Pro as a new boot drive.

Kept my case, power supply and graphics card, keeping my eye on the 3070/3080 prices and thinking maybe I can splurge on one when the 40 series drops and so does the price of the 30 series.

I also thought about delaying my upgrade for next generation but I really don't play AAA games, I went from my CPU struggling at 100% usage in ACC to under 30% on the practice server. Need to check on Thursday how it is during the race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

Interesting. Because I'm a fantastic driver* I've always just gone for the aggressive setup first without really thinking about it. It was @Meers's offhand comment last week about running the BMW safe setup that made me try it.

 

My smooth driving style (allegedly) does not suit the aggro setups at all, because I hate wrestling the car around the track.

 

I've never understood the - if you're in control you're not driving fast enough - motto, because surely there's much more risk and therefore more chance that you're losing control and crash. I think less steering equals straighter lines and therefore no friction wasted on sliding and more straight line speed?

 

So even though I did good business at Monza last week, I'm still at a loss how @Erik manages to drive away like he did. I barely made any mistakes, I've ridden every kerb an hit every apex and still I saw him disappear in front of me. It ghasted my flabber!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Meers said:

So even though I did good business at Monza last week, I'm still at a loss how @Erik manages to drive away like he did. I barely made any mistakes, I've ridden every kerb an hit every apex and still I saw him disappear in front of me. 

 

Press the throttle pedal harder. Should we analyze the race? I'll be on tonight so we can take a look at that and drive Barcelona or Zolder or even more Monza if you wish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Erik said:

 

Press the throttle pedal harder. Should we analyze the race? I'll be on tonight so we can take a look at that and drive Barcelona or Zolder or even more Monza if you wish.

 

Unfortunately not tonight, but can do tomorrow. Though I still have to put a practice lap in on Zolder as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Meers said:

Unfortunately not tonight, but can do tomorrow. Though I still have to put a practice lap in on Zolder as well.

 

Today works for me. I went through the replay yesterday and I think I can show you exactly where you can still improve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Erik said:

Today works for me. I went through the replay yesterday and I think I can show you exactly where you can still improve.

 

You did? Wow that's awesome! I will see you tonight (somewhere between 20:00h and 20:30h cet, if the wee lad wants to go to sleep that is).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.png.432e7b9badb995e62b234ac93962e8cf.png

 

Managed to put in a decent time last night, but I'm not really consistent so far. I had a lot of issues with the rotation of the car around corners, but @Erik's tip about raising the rear of the car more helped. I also lowered the caster value 1 click, which made a bit of a difference for turn-in as well. I just need to remind myself to brake a bit earlier on every corner on this track, because it's rather unforgiving if you don't.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I just need to decide how to approach the first chicane in race conditions. Not convinced I can boost the kerb for an hour straight without something going wrong! But the pressure will be on to try and keep up with you Lexus/Beemer/Boatley types floating across it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Meers said:

Managed to put in a decent time last night, but I'm not really consistent so far. I had a lot of issues with the rotation of the car around corners, but @Erik's tip about raising the rear of the car more helped. I also lowered the caster value 1 click, which made a bit of a difference for turn-in as well. I just need to remind myself to brake a bit earlier on every corner on this track, because it's rather unforgiving if you don't.

 

Yeah focus on staying on the line, not outbraking yourself and not eating the kerbs too much. Laptimes will drop with practice and consistency. That caster change may have been placebo. The more caster there is the heavier the wheel becomes(more centering force) but the more camber increases as wheels turn, and the more they need to be turned before the centering force is lost(when wheel becomes light).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, milko said:

I think I just need to decide how to approach the first chicane in race conditions. Not convinced I can boost the kerb for an hour straight without something going wrong! But the pressure will be on to try and keep up with you Lexus/Beemer/Boatley types floating across it. 

 

I'm gonna practice shortly, and see how much time is lost if you go around the chicane rather than over it.  I'm pretty sure when racing here before I settled on the slower but more consistent line.  Then again, I'll never get more consistent with the more risky and unsettling line if I don't practice doing it more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, davejm said:

 

I'm gonna practice shortly, and see how much time is lost if you go around the chicane rather than over it.  I'm pretty sure when racing here before I settled on the slower but more consistent line.  Then again, I'll never get more consistent with the more risky and unsettling line if I don't practice doing it more.

 

I also did that last time, but was closely chasing @SharkyOB for a few laps and unable to get to an overtaking position so thought "sod it, death or glory" and launched the kerb. 

 

anyway, death it was. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, milko said:

 

I also did that last time, but was closely chasing @SharkyOB for a few laps and unable to get to an overtaking position so thought "sod it, death or glory" and launched the kerb. 

 

anyway, death it was. 

 

All my laps this week have been the faster and riskier line, so I am getting better at it.  But the invalid lap count was mainly down to excessive steering angle when hitting the curb.  So if I can be more careful with that, it might be ok.  That said, the thought of doing it for an hour makes me nervous 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, davejm said:

 

I'm gonna practice shortly, and see how much time is lost if you go around the chicane rather than over it.  I'm pretty sure when racing here before I settled on the slower but more consistent line.  Then again, I'll never get more consistent with the more risky and unsettling line if I don't practice doing it more.

 

In my experience, taking the around line is slower. You can cut the first sausage but don't hit the 2nd one after it. Going straight across both = straight to the shadow realm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Meers said:

 

In my experience, taking the around line is slower. You can cut the first sausage but don't hit the 2nd one after it. Going straight across both = straight to the shadow realm.

 

First sausage feels way too high for the Lambo, same as it did for me in the McLaren. I can do the second from the other angle... Or just barely either and be safe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, milko said:

 

First sausage feels way too high for the Lambo, same as it did for me in the McLaren. I can do the second from the other angle... Or just barely either and be safe. 

 

Well just raise the ride height a bit, like I did with my Beamer:

 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a61033f1bb8b8d071f2d68c57be6c3f1.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Argh! So sorry guys, but I won’t join you tonight. Something’s come up at work and I’m still not back home. Gutted, as I’ve done a fair bit of practice for it. 
 

Have fun, I’ll be mentally waiting for your blue flags and letting you gracefully by. Hopefully I’ll be able to join next week. 
 

So sorry 😢 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:

Argh! So sorry guys, but I won’t join you tonight. Something’s come up at work and I’m still not back home. Gutted, as I’ve done a fair bit of practice for it. 
 

Have fun, I’ll be mentally waiting for your blue flags and letting you gracefully by. Hopefully I’ll be able to join next week. 
 

So sorry 😢 

 

Ah that's a shame, but hopefully catch you next time!  I've signed you out of the event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved that race. I was shitting it when the rain forecast came in, but unusually managed a decent qualifying lap early while it was dry, normally I take most of the session to hit my best time. Second on the grid! I was still shitting it for the race though, never drove the Lambo in the wet before, didn’t really know what to do with the setup, the forecast looked really uncertain…argh. Still, I got away ok, held off a few people while I got up to speed but then seemed to find a good bit of pace. Had a battle with @Meers that his drive-through put an end to… thinking about karma, I did not gloat. Zipped away into a clear second, really enjoying the changing track conditions and how good it all looked. Still, that tricky braking point for the second chicane never seemed to get easier and eventually I bust it one too many times for my own drive-through. Gutted! But impressed that I came out from that still in third place, and catching @SneakyNinja fast but with less than five minutes to go I couldn’t quite get into position to attempt to regain second. Awesome!

 

also, I forgot to turn my room lights on pregame so when it went dark I started to lose VR tracking but it was right in the final two laps and luckily not super bad. And, my VR headset disconnected again but only right after the race, I need to sort out the cable I think. Those could both have been a lot worse!

 

as ever, thanks for the racing fellas. Can’t wait for the next one already. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a rare week troubled by hardware issues.  Something wasn't right in USB town.  I got the steering wheel USB "bing bong" noise as it disconnected, the pedals disconnecting too a couple of times,  and then I had a full crash of ACC. 

 

By the time I restarted the PC and re-joined I was about 5 laps down.  ACC then made me sit in the pits for 2 more minutes as a punishment for something.  And then I was able to race.  So I was a good 7 laps adrift as I left the pits.  I sort of didn't really enjoy the race after that.  I did overtake a few people - so I wasn't *that* slow.  But it was essentially a hopeless task.

 

When I pitted with 10 mins to go I took a risk and swapped to slicks (as the forecast said it was dry till the end) and I didn't refuel (as it said I had plenty left to get to the end)  My tyres went cold, it did bloody rain again, and I was obviously using more fuel on the slick mapping because I ran out on the last lap.

 

All in all a dreadful evening :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved the wet racing too, and I moved up to 2nd after a couple of laps with @milko breathing down my neck. My car's setup felt really comfortable and I managed to slowly pull away. But then I missed a couple of braking points for the 2nd chicane (harsh, harsh track limits imo) and got a DT. I nearly got a 2nd DT at the end of the race for the same chicane, so I had to play it safe and brake really early for that one after my 3rd warning.

 

I also messed up my tyre change because I hadn't saved my wet setup to a new preset. So I had to adjust the pressures coming into the pits, only to realise I had picked dry tyres. Changed to wets but that reset the pressures as well, so I had to stop and to adjust them again. Thankfully I managed to choose the correct pressures in the end. Lost 20 seconds with that malarkey.

 

Still, great and exciting racing! Stunning graphics in these conditions - even on an old GTX1070. And all in glorious 60fps! Also, one thing I didn't see on the old laptop was spray on the windscreen from the car(s) in front. Certainly adds to the difficulty, as well as the blinding sun (absolutely stunning in HDR).

 

I forgot to stream the race from my p.o.v. unfortunately. I need to remember to do that for next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tough one.  I couldn't get a fast qualifying lap before the rain came, so started towards the back.  And when the race started you guys all pulled out in front.  I just didn't have the wet weather pace to keep up; so despite running a nearly flawless race I was still behind @milko despite his woes with the DT penalty.

 

Welcome to @Chocks! :)  Nice to meet you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @Chocks! Welcome to rllmuk.

 

I forgot to mention that the racing etiquette was tip-top last night. Really clean and respectful. I nearly got torpedoed by @EuroVapeSim2 in the 1st chicane though, but it ended well. 😅

 

Congrats to the podium finishers as well! @milko seems to be a wet weather driver to be reckoned with!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Hi @Chocks! Welcome to rllmuk.

 

I forgot to mention that the racing etiquette was tip-top last night. Really clean and respectful. I nearly got torpedoed by @EuroVapeSim2 in the 1st chicane though, but it ended well. 😅

 

Congrats to the podium finishers as well! @milko seems to be a wet weather driver to be reckoned with!

Yeah sorry about that I just braked way too late.

Have to say last night was just frustrating for me, I'm still struggling to get to grips with the Bentley and it's an absolute diva in the wet. I really did not enjoy driving last night, had 3 major spins during the full hour and about 2 minutes of repair time, a bit during my pitstop and had to stop again with about 10 minutes remaining, almost quit out then but knew I should just finish it off.

Zolder is a track I really like, it just wasn't for me yesterday, I couldn't extract any meaningful pace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, milko said:

Did anyone get the highlights? I assume poor old Valver won't have after that badly timed tech disaster. 

 

I did, but I've not uploaded it or anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Yeah sorry about that I just braked way too late.

Have to say last night was just frustrating for me, I'm still struggling to get to grips with the Bentley and it's an absolute diva in the wet. I really did not enjoy driving last night, had 3 major spins during the full hour and about 2 minutes of repair time, a bit during my pitstop and had to stop again with about 10 minutes remaining, almost quit out then but knew I should just finish it off.

Zolder is a track I really like, it just wasn't for me yesterday, I couldn't extract any meaningful pace.

 

I noticed that the Lexus is only slightly nicer than Bentley in the wet. It has the same horrible ABS, somewhat better turn-in but very slidey and oversteery in exits and even in straight line when touching water. In that left kink over a small crest between 2nd chicane and the hairpin it kept snap oversteering and went sideways every lap. I dont think I had a single good 1st chicane and I spun there once. I often went wide in 1st corner too because similar to Bentley it just doesnt turn when braking(in the wet) and one cant use full brake pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Erik said:

In that left kink over a small crest between 2nd chicane and the hairpin it kept snap oversteering and went sideways every lap

 

This was my biggest issue all through the race.  Had to be super careful after I nearly lost it a few times.  Lots of code brown moments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.